Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:51:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Announcement - ASIC mining processor by Butterfly Labs  (Read 227489 times)
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 04:47:16 PM

What the hell kind of fab are they dealing with that can't seem to give BFL firm dates for anything ever? Fabs are run like precision clockwork, not kindergarten field trips.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 05:06:00 PM

For those of you that do not frequent the BFL Forums -- https://forums.butterflylabs.com/announcements/692-bfl-asic-status.html#post12237

Happy for the update...
And...they slipped yet again.
They said they would ship the week of Feb 10th. Last time I checked, the 13th and 14th of Feb were in that same week. This is right in line with what they said 2-3 weeks ago.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Fuzzy

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 05:53:56 PM

they've gone from bumping from "By end of next month at the latest" to "By end of next week at the latest".

I'm betting they use the "next week" line to transition into "next month".
Atruk

Activity: 700

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 12:48:25 AM

they've gone from bumping from "By end of next month at the latest" to "By end of next week at the latest".

I'm betting they use the "next week" line to transition into "next month".
Shoot, you saw through their plans!

time to kill the thread
http://garzikrants.blogspot.se

No, it isn't time to kill the thread. I'll admit I've made some Box of Fans Labs jokes, but now that Avalon has shipped I'm pulling for Butterfly to do so as well.

The recent Butterfly updates where they start talking about numbers of wafers seem convincing to me that this is probably getting done (confidence interval of 75%).

Why I'm pulling for them to ship though isn't the $0 I have preordered in ASIC equiptment. It is because of how fucking exciting the prospect of two massive jumps in technology over the course of roughly a month is. I don't know about how many other people, but jumping from general purpose GPU/FPGA hardware to coarse small batch ASIC hardware, to ASICs on a node size that Intel and AMD were shipping not that long ago is exciting.

Avalon's second patch preorder is probably going to sell out fast, but if Butterfly get get units in people's hands by March 1st the mining harware market is going to become an interesting slugfest through at least this summer.

testerx

Activity: 608

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 04:38:20 AM

I really hope there's no more delays and these units get shipped via a fairly fast method (since they're coming from China) or the Avalon units will have increased difficulty to the extent that it's going to be a lot harder to recoup the unit costs.  Honestly, I'm pretty disappointed that BFL wasn't first to ship, I thought for sure you guys were going to ship first. 
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 05:49:49 AM

I really hope there's no more delays and these units get shipped via a fairly fast method (since they're coming from China) or the Avalon units will have increased difficulty to the extent that it's going to be a lot harder to recoup the unit costs. 

BFL units are being assembled in and shipped from the US.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
BitMinerN8

Activity: 626

Mining since May 2011.

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 05:53:13 AM

I really hope there's no more delays and these units get shipped via a fairly fast method (since they're coming from China) or the Avalon units will have increased difficulty to the extent that it's going to be a lot harder to recoup the unit costs. 

BFL units are being assembled in and shipped from the US.

Kansas City, Missouri
http://www.butterflylabs.com/contact/
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 06:10:58 AM

I really hope there's no more delays and these units get shipped via a fairly fast method (since they're coming from China) or the Avalon units will have increased difficulty to the extent that it's going to be a lot harder to recoup the unit costs.  Honestly, I'm pretty disappointed that BFL wasn't first to ship, I thought for sure you guys were going to ship first. 

Yeah that is pretty sad.

3 months head-start on AVALON + 10 times customer pre order funds (at least)...and still waiting.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Jack1Rip1BurnIt

Activity: 350

Trust me, these default swaps will limit the risks

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 07:07:23 AM

Man I hope they hurry up dude. I'm so over waiting for my order from BFL it ain't even funny!

Successful trades with bels, misterbigg, ChrisNelson, shackleford, geniusboy91, and Isokivi.
mezzomix
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1252

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 07:30:04 AM

As the Avalon has a working ASIC now, the clock is ticking for BFL. AFAIK they have now working silicon right now and if the current waver run fail, we will see another 12++ week shift.

If BFL shift again, I expect they will see a wave of refund requests rolling in. The interesting question is, will BFL follow the bASIC road? Really bad, if there will be an Avalon monopoly in the future.
repentance

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 07:42:47 AM

From Josh.

No, I was going to leave tomorrow but we are rearranging the schedule a bit. I should have an updated one later this weekend or Monday at the latest. Me sitting around in a hotel waiting on the fab is probably not the best use of my time, so we are going to figure out where the best use of my ass for sitting on desks is going to be.

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/837-sunday-27-jan-2013-asic-update-discussion-thread-12.html#post12626

Looks like the chips won't be ready on the 4th then.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 07:58:20 AM

As the Avalon has a working ASIC now, the clock is ticking for BFL. AFAIK they have now working silicon right now and if the current waver run fail, we will see another 12++ week shift.

It boggles the mind to think BFL promised initially to ship in august (was it?) while it appears that even to date they still dont have a single working prototype. Im basing that on the fact we have not seen one and Josh's statements regarding yields and power consumption  indicate to me they have no real clue about those numbers other than what simulations provide.

If the above is correct, then all sorts of things could still go wrong and I would put the chances of BFL shipping this month at no more than 50/50 and the chances of them shipping and hitting their specs at even less.
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 10:40:32 AM

Fair enough, I may remember wrong. Doesnt change the fact that promising a shipping date now thats only a few days after they expect to receive their wafers (and what i assume will be their very first silicon), is unlikely to pan out. Not impossible, but unlikely. Even if you are cocky enough to assume you dont need a respin, then you typically would still give yourself at the very least a few weeks for testing, validation and characterization of your first silicon before you start mass producing. Especially if you already have a reputation for widely missing deadlines and specs.

TL;DR Unless BFL already received prototypes from a hot lot last year and they kept it quiet, I dont believe they will ship anything this month, and its even rather plausible they will need several more months if their chips dont pan out as expected.
mezzomix
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1252

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 08:10:45 PM

In case of BFL I would say no new is bad news. I don't expect them to ship anything this month and I assume chances are quite low that they will ship in March. Talking about vouchers for early pre-order customers is a really bad sign! I read from these messages that they prepare for another large delay.
repentance

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 07:32:02 AM

Any word yet on when Josh is heading to the fab?  The "worst case scenario" date for the chips being ready is rapidly approaching.

PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 06:14:57 PM

Any word yet on when Josh is heading to the fab?  The "worst case scenario" date for the chips being ready is rapidly approaching.
They cancelled the trip.

The Fab releasing the chips was delayed until the 8th of Feb. It was originally slated for the 1st.

So the entire timeline may be seeing a much later "final date".

No "Ronin" runs for Josh.

(Go read the BFL forums)
creativex

Activity: 434

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 06:21:36 PM

Startling news indeed. Has BFL announced which fab they're using? The fab fail level is absolutely off the charts.

crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 06:22:03 PM

Any word yet on when Josh is heading to the fab?  The "worst case scenario" date for the chips being ready is rapidly approaching.
They cancelled the trip.

The Fab releasing the chips was delayed until the 8th of Feb. It was originally slated for the 1st.

(Go read the BFL forums)

From Josh's update thread on 2013/1/30:

Leave for the fab ~ Feb 1st or 2nd
Acquire 6 wafers earliest Feb 4th - Latest Feb 8th

Your date of BFL receiving the chips on the 8th is right in line with the timeline they posted a week ago. It was not slated for the 1st, Josh's trip was scheduled for the 1st.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 07:53:38 PM

They cancelled the trip.

(Go read the BFL forums)

From Josh's update thread on 2013/1/30:

Leave for the fab ~ Feb 1st or 2nd
Acquire 6 wafers earliest Feb 4th - Latest Feb 8th

Your date of BFL receiving the chips on the 8th is right in line with the timeline they posted a week ago. It was not slated for the 1st, Josh's trip was scheduled for the 1st.
No, up until a couple days ago the latest news ticker on the BFL forums said Chip delivery no later than Jan 31. The mid January update also had chip delivery and arrival at the packaging facility during the week of January 26th. The chip delivery time has been pushed back.
shwoop

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 07:58:31 PM

that slipped a while back.

the slippages aren't really being announced or whined about due to the lack of concrete days people can QQ over.
e.g. we're currently on for the end of the week of the 10th Feb but one more hiccup and it's the week of the 17th and then the end of the week of the 17th...

Personally I'm preferring the frequent updates rather than on the day it should be launching getting an update that it's not happening and we should come back in a month.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: