Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 10:44:12 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Qora | 100% POS | Assets | Names | Voting | Open Source  (Read 113726 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Vrontis

Activity: 351
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2015, 02:02:54 AM

If you are planning  to implement a kind of encryption  like Shamir's Secret Sharing you can have a messaging service that supports private messages.

Otherwise the above could be considered as a microblogging service ( and a form of social network  Wink )

Hey! That gives me an idea... We can actually have a message board inside Qora..

Okay, forget about private messaging for now..

What about a subscription-based microblogging service??  Is that better?

Let's say we will maintain a list of your subscription in the local client (for instance, Vrontis subscribed to calvinstm's blog).

Then, the client will find all the posts (transactions) from calvinstm and display them inside subscriber's client (of course it will require a custom client mod)...

I think that'll be more useful than a messaging service, no?

Let's think about this a bit more before I implement it...

PS: Thanks for the feedback, and gotta say you've got a lot of great ideas, Vrontis. I've gotta think about this too...

Hehehe, exactly! This is the proper design to have this working as a form of microblogging - social network.
A subscription service can be implemented into this.I was thinking this like, a service to handle subscriptions and a service to handle posts.Then the client will call the posts made by users that the client's user had subscripted and the posts will be loaded into client's timeline.
To be more specific:

Let's consider service 1 as subscription and service 2 as posts.

The user A uses this client.
The user A have subscribed to follow the user B.
To list this subscription, an arbitrary transaction is needed to be created made by the address of the user A and writes that he listens to user's B posts.

So, the first is a lookup function that searches for the arbitrary transactions made from the address of user A (the same user who uses that client)  in service 1 and gathers the addresses of the users that he had subscribed.This will ensure that the subscription service will not get "hacked" and the client will load only what user A have subscribed by searching for arbitrary transactions made by user's A address.
That's how you build that subscription service and ensure that it will load only what users have desired to have into their timelines.

Then the client scans the service 2 to load the posts made by the addresses that have been gathered from the above function and displays them ordered by time.

Another needed function of that client is a search function in order to let users discover content and/or other users.

I don't want to distract you or redirect you from your original plan (although a messaging service is needed) but I think that we can work this out.

Lorenzo

Activity: 406

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 02:34:17 AM

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say it was because it was there.  Base58 is what Qora addresses are encoded in and the address creation system borrowed heavily from the Bitcoin address creation algo.

However, when the source went public, I did dig into the Qora and old Nxt code to verify whether or not Qora was a clone of Nxt.  One of the sections I analyzed was the address creation system.  It was almost identical to BTC, which is NOTHING like Nxt.

Qora addresses do look very similar to Bitcoin's and nothing at all like NXT's so I guess it's not surprising.

Interesting.

If that is the case, do you still think that QORA is BCNext?  Was he working on both projects, or is this just two different people?

There are similarities in that both coins are new source, coded in Java, and have a roughly similar feature set, as well as some vague similarities in their devs' postings here but there are also some differences too. As others have said, when BCNext released NXT, he put the whole Java code in a single uncommented file and made use of no additional libraries which is very odd. In contrast, Qora's code is well written and commented.

A few days ago I decided to buy a bit of QORA, and I found out that there are literally ZERO ways to buy or sell it right now.  What is this madness?  Qora cannot be mined and it cannot be bought, there is literally no way for it to grow right now, because anyone like me who finds out about it and decides they want in cannot get any, in any way.  (And of course, I am sure there are people out there frustrated by the lack of exchanges who are wanting to dump as well?)

Yeah, it's unfortunate that the coin lost the only two exchanges it was on. Now there's no way to buy, sell, withdraw, or deposit. There is an OTC trading thread here but it doesn't seem to be very active.

PS: Forgot to mention, there is a Qora Faucet created by agran, you can get some free Qora from there for testing purpose.

Link is here:

http://qora.co.in/faucet.php

Last time I used the faucet was two weeks ago and it was working then. It doesn't seem to be working now though.
Djinou94
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 03:28:11 AM

Interesting.

If that is the case, do you still think that QORA is BCNext?  Was he working on both projects, or is this just two different people?

A few days ago I decided to buy a bit of QORA, and I found out that there are literally ZERO ways to buy or sell it right now.  What is this madness?  Qora cannot be mined and it cannot be bought, there is literally no way for it to grow right now, because anyone like me who finds out about it and decides they want in cannot get any, in any way.  (And of course, I am sure there are people out there frustrated by the lack of exchanges who are wanting to dump as well?)  

I guess there is a good reason why this coin is so cheap.  In the past I have generally avoided all tiny coins like this, and restrict myself to the most promising alts, say, top 10 on CMC.  

If you guys can get poloniex working again or get on another exchange I might check it out again in the future.

Hal,

BTER has always been the primary exchange since Qora's inception.  I believe Qora is not the only coin affected by the recent BTER hacking incident.  But I read somewhere that they're going to reopen the exchange for trading within one week.  So I'm pretty sure Qora will resume trading by then.  So sorry about the inconvenience.  Smiley  

I don't know about you guys, but I think I'm willing to give BTER another chance since they've proven themselves to be trustworthy (they always stay and find a way to reimburse customers).  As for Polo, I've just been told a dev is handling that situation.  I don't want to speak on behalf of this dev.  If he wishes to provide more information to the community, he will do so.  But I can tell you that I'm confident the problem with Polo will be resolved once the next wallet is released (the latest).

As for Qora's identity (whether he is BCNext or not), I don't think I want to make any conjecture or speculation at this moment (out of respect for the dev), because I know people like Satoshi, BCNext, Qora all have one thing in common - they value their privacy, and we should respect that and not to pry too much.. lol

The truth is I've never bothered to look into NXT's codebase, but I heard that it was pretty messy when JL took over. However, at first glance, my impression of Qora code is that it's very well organized and squeaky clean. It's well commented and very easy to follow.  I don't know if it's an indication that it's two different persons because I'm not familiar with BCNext's style (I know Nxt has been rewritten from the ground up).

Having said that, I can tell you that I've been doing a bit of research, and I can confirm with certainty that Qora is a project that was started back in early 2011 and has been in development ever since.  

That's all I'm gonna say about this..  Cheesy

PS: Forgot to mention, there is a Qora Faucet created by agran, you can get some free Qora from there for testing purpose.

Yes that explain how fast the dev has delivered the coin after the ipo
Kolbas

Activity: 342

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 04:28:06 AM

What about Poloniex? All my Qora coins are still on the way to Poloniex.
vytasz7

Activity: 561
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 08:27:32 AM

So has anyone spoken with qora after his return?
calvinstm

Activity: 229
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 11:00:53 AM

First off, a BIG thank you to the two persons who sent me Qora! I've got enough Qora to start my experiment. I'm going to post my result shortly.

I've requested the person in the know to make an official statement regarding the Poloniex situation since it's a common (and valid) concern among the Qora users. I believe it should be addressed by one of the team members.

In case anyone hasn't heard, BTER is planning on enabling withdrawl of all altcoins (perhaps resume trading as well) within one week.  Here's the official announcement from their twitter -

https://twitter.com/btercom

Yes, the dev has been in contact with Vrontis, please see Vrontis' posts.. starting here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=881230.msg10633763#msg10633763

I believe the dev has agreed to fully open source Qora (even release the source for GUI and the native libs), and he even offered to compile the next version of Qora wallet for the community. That's what we've been told.
calvinstm

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 11:08:52 AM

Hehehe, exactly! This is the proper design to have this working as a form of microblogging - social network.
A subscription service can be implemented into this.I was thinking this like, a service to handle subscriptions and a service to handle posts.Then the client will call the posts made by users that the client's user had subscripted and the posts will be loaded into client's timeline.
To be more specific:

Let's consider service 1 as subscription and service 2 as posts.

The user A uses this client.
The user A have subscribed to follow the user B.
To list this subscription, an arbitrary transaction is needed to be created made by the address of the user A and writes that he listens to user's B posts.

So, the first is a lookup function that searches for the arbitrary transactions made from the address of user A (the same user who uses that client)  in service 1 and gathers the addresses of the users that he had subscribed.This will ensure that the subscription service will not get "hacked" and the client will load only what user A have subscribed by searching for arbitrary transactions made by user's A address.
That's how you build that subscription service and ensure that it will load only what users have desired to have into their timelines.

Then the client scans the service 2 to load the posts made by the addresses that have been gathered from the above function and displays them ordered by time.

Another needed function of that client is a search function in order to let users discover content and/or other users.

I don't want to distract you or redirect you from your original plan (although a messaging service is needed) but I think that we can work this out.

No! Don't say that! I really like to hash those ideas out with you.  Grin  You've been a big help and not a distraction.  Smiley  I really appreciate every and all feedbacks because I really want it to be something people will use.

I hope that after the GUI source is released, we will be able to integrate whatever useful service we create into the wallet so they can be used by the whole community (of course they will need to be verified by the Core Dev Team or a chief developer for security and safety reason).  In any case, I'm just getting the ball rolling.  Wink  I'd like to show people how simple and versatile Qora platform is.  It's actually very easy to develop applications on top of Qora core.

By the way, there is a function from API does what you just described -- look up transaction scan from the API guide.  I'm going to integrate/implement everything you mentioned into the application.

I actually like your ideas better!  Grin  So I'm gonna abandon my original messaging app idea in pursuit of a microblogging type of service. Let's make it into something like a twitter for Qora (don't forget Arbitrary Transaction only allows 4000 bytes data limit)...

So we may not be able to create a long post.. But we can do something like Twitter or Vine.  Grin
agran

Activity: 910

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 11:20:10 AM

Link is here:

http://qora.co.in/faucet.php

Last time I used the faucet was two weeks ago and it was working then. It doesn't seem to be working now though.
Fixed.

QORA | 2ND GEN | NEW SOURCE CODE | QTz6fSV2VNc2wjwwsw57kwQzgQhmGw5idQ
calvinstm

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 11:29:30 AM
Last edit: March 05, 2015, 12:07:46 PM by calvinstm

Good news!

Just create my very first Arbitrary Transaction --

{"timestamp":1425555747324,
"fee":"1.00001000",
"confirmations":0,
"data":"3aump9mdueoZHMmos2XHYQkpzfBsAQqinvfz",
"service":555,
"type":10,
"signature":"2fZvew21UUj7RfRd7ekc1HWXQq922v1ZwRurSAjE9UGDzfbCkWNGLNX8LgXP3cn5vTzXuLd3pc7u559 9Vg7Lr9aV",
"reference":"2WmAU9tZfphNMtmFkrJnaRBLRy3p1WZCNtdtDQZRZyKWmdxqkEfaQKJiRsKz3cNWmZPFzvsPohCazWT ps4ZnrUA2",
"creator":"QQmwJGqzRBjNMZcQwuzTVhoF4Q9W4QRGPn"}

And this shows up in my wallet under Transaction Tab:

0   Mar 5    Arbitrary Transaction   QQmwJGqzRBjNMZcQwuzTVhoF4Q9W4QRGPn   -1.00001000

Looks like a success!  Grin

calvinstm

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 11:54:36 AM

Fixed.

agran,

I'm afraid there is a problem with your qora blockexplorer --

It does not show my Type 10 Arbitrary Transaction. (I'm assuming that it just skip type 10 transaction).

Please add Arbitrary Transaction to blockexplorer..

thank you!
vytasz7

Activity: 561
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 01:27:52 PM

First off, a BIG thank you to the two persons who sent me Qora! I've got enough Qora to start my experiment. I'm going to post my result shortly.

I've requested the person in the know to make an official statement regarding the Poloniex situation since it's a common (and valid) concern among the Qora users. I believe it should be addressed by one of the team members.

In case anyone hasn't heard, BTER is planning on enabling withdrawl of all altcoins (perhaps resume trading as well) within one week.  Here's the official announcement from their twitter -

https://twitter.com/btercom

Yes, the dev has been in contact with Vrontis, please see Vrontis' posts.. starting here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=881230.msg10633763#msg10633763

I believe the dev has agreed to fully open source Qora (even release the source for GUI and the native libs), and he even offered to compile the next version of Qora wallet for the community. That's what we've been told.

Great news  Smiley
rlh

Activity: 804
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 01:50:10 PM

Good news!

Just create my very first Arbitrary Transaction --

{"timestamp":1425555747324,
"fee":"1.00001000",
"confirmations":0,
"data":"3aump9mdueoZHMmos2XHYQkpzfBsAQqinvfz",
"service":555,
"type":10,
"signature":"2fZvew21UUj7RfRd7ekc1HWXQq922v1ZwRurSAjE9UGDzfbCkWNGLNX8LgXP3cn5vTzXuLd3pc7u559 9Vg7Lr9aV",
"reference":"2WmAU9tZfphNMtmFkrJnaRBLRy3p1WZCNtdtDQZRZyKWmdxqkEfaQKJiRsKz3cNWmZPFzvsPohCazWT ps4ZnrUA2",
"creator":"QQmwJGqzRBjNMZcQwuzTVhoF4Q9W4QRGPn"}

And this shows up in my wallet under Transaction Tab:

0   Mar 5    Arbitrary Transaction   QQmwJGqzRBjNMZcQwuzTVhoF4Q9W4QRGPn   -1.00001000

Looks like a success!  Grin

Calvin, thanks for the hard work and creating arb transactions and a use case!

After seeing how these transactions behave, I think I see what the purpose of the "Service" value.  Services, such as your DarkQora/Message Board project can query the Qora chain for specific ATs with specific Service numbers.  This means that you can define a service and filter data at your discretion.  However, since this is an open-service, you will still need to intrgrate some form of validation, since the service field is open, and unregistered.  This isn't a problem but if you want to avoid future service collisions, you should select a service ID that is probably at least greater than 100.

Since you can't claim a service ID, you can specify an ID that others will likely not use.  Also, the community may, in the future, decide to integrate into the Qora communications spec the reservation of services in the lower number range.  These could be control/system serviceIDs, used for some unknown, low-level purpose.

Another way of looking at this value is to consider TCP/IP ports.  If you create an app that needs TCP/IP, there are certain best-practice standards which dictate which ports to avoid because they are considered dedicated to specific tasks (e.g. Port 80=http). Sure, anyone can use these ports for whatever they want, but best practice dictates you shouldn't.  However, if you create your own communications protocol, there are plenty of TCP ports that aren't in common use.  You can use those as you desire.

I recommend the community take the same approach with service IDs.  Let's have a soft-reservation of the bottom 256 and consider anything north of that "free range".

Comments and rebuttals welcomed.

A Personal Quote on BTT from 2011:
"I'd be willing to make a moderate "investment" if the value of the BTC went below $2.00.  Otherwise I'll just have to live with my 5 BTC and be happy. :/"  ...sigh.  If only I knew.
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2015, 02:04:25 PM

I agree with the idea of treating the service ids a bit like "ports" but assuming the range is not small I'd think a larger range of "reserved" numbers would be better (say at least 1024 but perhaps even much more than that).

We can't predict how many might "be enough" so I'd tend to want to reserve more.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
elite3000
Legendary

Activity: 1073

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 03:20:37 PM

Huh
Tuck Fheman

Activity: 363

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2015, 03:36:30 PM

Huh

Still waiting for them to fix their wallet issues. That will probably happen about the same time the new wallet is out (best guess).

calvinstm

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 11:06:09 PM

Another way of looking at this value is to consider TCP/IP ports.  If you create an app that needs TCP/IP, there are certain best-practice standards which dictate which ports to avoid because they are considered dedicated to specific tasks (e.g. Port 80=http). Sure, anyone can use these ports for whatever they want, but best practice dictates you shouldn't.  However, if you create your own communications protocol, there are plenty of TCP ports that aren't in common use.  You can use those as you desire.

I recommend the community take the same approach with service IDs.  Let's have a soft-reservation of the bottom 256 and consider anything north of that "free range".

Comments and rebuttals welcomed.

Hi rlh,

Yes!!! You got it!!!  Grin  I apologize for the confusion. "qora" called them Service Ids, but I always think of them as Service Ports (as in TCP ports).  And I used the terms interchangeably in my sentences.  Wink

I believe that in order for Arbitrary Transaction to be effectively and properly utilized, a sets of standards or protocol must be established (just like TCP/IP).  For instance, a range of ports should be considered "reserved" for commonly used services, and data formats must be specified for ports that are in used.  And I tend to agree with CIYAM on this, perhaps a bigger number like 1024 is better.

Let me give you some examples --

Instead of having one port for a blogging service and another for a messaging service.. Why can't we merge the common functionality into one service port:

Port 10 (Reserved): Targeted Message Service (TMS) - Used for Message/Text that has a targeted audience

Poart 11 (Reserved): Non-Targeted Message Service (NMS) - Used for Message/Text that doesn't have a targeted audience

Port 12 (Reserved): HTML Storage Service (HSS) - Used for Storing Static Web Page

Port 13 (Reserved): Extended HTML Storage Service (EHSS) - USed for storing web page with multiple parts

After we agree on the ports' purposes and the data formats, people will be permitted to use those ports, as long as they follow the rule.  What I'm saying is that we need to establish something like TCP/IP protocol for Arbitrary Transaction in order to avoid duplication of services (No wheels needed to be reinvented).  In this regard, the transactions can be considered something like "packets" in a data network.

So in the future, instead of setting up a new port and a new data format for a twitter-like service, the developer can simply adapt and utilize the Non-Targeted Message Service Port that was originally designed for a private messaging service.

So before anyone can design and implement anything, we really need to discuss and agree on certain standards.  I hope you can see where I can going with this.

Does this make any sense to you??  Wink Cool
calvinstm

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 11:13:18 PM

On second though, I'm not sure what I'm proposing is such a good idea.

Perhaps having dedicated ports for individual services are better than sharing/reusing ports and having to follow certain protocol.

I was thinking in scenarios like.. where you need to search a large number of transactions to find a specific piece of data, doing things this way might not be feasible...

Hmmm...

What are your thoughts on this?  I think we all agree that a range of ports needed to be reserved.  But do you think some sort of protocol needed to be established for commonly used functionality?
calvinstm

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 11:21:40 PM

I agree with the idea of treating the service ids a bit like "ports" but assuming the range is not small I'd think a larger range of "reserved" numbers would be better (say at least 1024 but perhaps even much more than that).

We can't predict how many might "be enough" so I'd tend to want to reserve more.

Good point.  I also agree that a bigger number is better because we simply cannot predict how many commonly used services there will be in the future.  Smiley

I also think that those standards should be agreed upon early on (and written into WIKI) to avoid confusion and collision later on. (Say.. if someone uses a port that has already been adopted by another person, it is going to break another person's software!  Grin Grin)
kushti

Activity: 315
Merit: 103

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2015, 03:11:56 AM

Also I recommend to update MapDb to latest 1.0.7 release http://www.mapdb.org/changelog.html#Version_107_2015-02-19 , a lot of crash issues are fixed there.

Ergo Platform core dev. Previously IOHK Research / Nxt core dev / SmartContract.com cofounder.
Rumhurius
Legendary

Activity: 1672
Merit: 1046

Here we go again

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 03:47:29 AM

Man such smooth sailing here...
Not.
 Roll Eyes
lol

Whatevah
GL with the new Wallet Gentleman.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 »
  Print  

Jump to: