Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 04:00:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... 67 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Qora | 100% POS | Assets | Names | Voting | Open Source  (Read 113726 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
rlh

Activity: 804
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 12:40:54 PM

Qora is organized completely differently than Nxt.

Qora is a bit of a different beast.  

Still, the process of creating a payment address is far more robust than Nxt.  

Qora feels like it's written by an experienced, professional business coder, while Nxt feels like a large, open source project.

Thank you for sharing the results of your review.

If I remember well NXT had only one Java class and was purely structured. IMHO no coin yet can reach qora's structure, friendliness and quality approach.

Qora is indeed a highly competent programmer, a sharp mind that's rare to be found.
+ he is honest and can be trusted.

So, I think that the whole cryptocommunity should study and embrace this magnificent masterpiece and start building a solid community, projects, marketing and so on.

Lol, well this is just an unrelated comment but the best software/cryptocoin project I've read through was Ripple.

Ironic because I hate everything Ripple stands for, but it's devs have some mad skills at writing and organizing code.  They have a real top-notch team.  

It's been a long time since I looked at the XRP code and C++ is different than Java, but I'd say Qora is about as well organized as XRP (but Qora has friendly comments, which XRP conveniently left out of their code.)

A Personal Quote on BTT from 2011:
"I'd be willing to make a moderate "investment" if the value of the BTC went below $2.00.  Otherwise I'll just have to live with my 5 BTC and be happy. :/"  ...sigh.  If only I knew.
chalkboard17

Activity: 484
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 12:56:26 PM
Last edit: December 10, 2014, 01:23:07 PM by chalkboard17

I contacted qora, rlh, twinwinnerd and pondsea regarding bounties. I also requested the community find more bounty holders/escrowers.
Pondsea and Qora ignored the request.
Twinwinnerd and rlh rejected the request.
The community didn't attempt to find anyone to hold funds.

It's gonna be tough to work like this.

Question: Do you need heads up as to who is doing what (i.e. should I PM you which I am working on) or will the reward be given to the first to produce? Thanks.
The latter.

▄▄  ▄▄                
            ██  ▀▀  ▀▀   ██           
        ██                   ██

██  ██  ▄▄            
     ██    ██           ▀▀  ▄▄        
                  ███       ▀▀        
   ██    ██   ███      ███     ██     
                          ███         
  ██   ██   ██    ███ ███    ▄▄   ██  
               ███           ▀▀       
  ██   ██  ███           ███  ██   ██ 
                     ███              
    ▄▄  ██    ███ ███     ▄▄  ██   ██ 
    ▀▀    ▄▄              ▀▀          
      ▄▄  ▀▀          ███    ██   ██  
      ▀▀      ██  ███                 
         ██              ███    ███   
             ██  ██  ███              
       ██                    ██       
           ███  ▄▄▄  ▄▄  ███          
                ▀▀▀  ▀▀               

STREAMITY

Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
  Telegram
LinkedIn
Medium
rlh

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 01:25:20 PM

Sorry chalkboard, if I was unclear.  If you can organize a team to manage the approval of bounty work, I am willing to be responsible for holding, receiving and dispersing the funds.  I just don't want to be the one judging other peoples work and deciding ties.

I've been there before and I'd rather not do that again.  However, sending funds back and forth, as directd by a committee (or committees) isn't a problem.

"I'd be willing to make a moderate "investment" if the value of the BTC went below $2.00.  Otherwise I'll just have to live with my 5 BTC and be happy. :/"  ...sigh.  If only I knew.
chalkboard17

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 01:31:44 PM

Sorry chalkboard, if I was unclear.  If you can organize a team to manage the approval of bounty work, I am willing to be responsible for holding, receiving and dispersing the funds.  I just don't want to be the one judging other peoples work and deciding ties.

I've been there before and I'd rather not do that again.  However, sending funds back and forth, as directd by a committee (or committees) isn't a problem.
The community will decide and judge that. You would only hold funds. I would do that myself however since I'm a newcomer here developers would not believe I would pay them and community would think I would run with funds donated by other people.
Please provide an address so that I can send 5 million qora for leased forging bounty + 3 million qora for bug finders + 2 million qora for proving qora is a clone bounty. Other people will be able to send qora to the given address too (and they should)

As much as I believe you seem trustworthy, I wouldn't feel comfortable with you (or anyone else) holding more than those keys, so the community will need to find other trustworthy escrowers for the other bounties.
I think people should also have the right of requesting their funds to be sent back to them if they request. I know for a fact I'll need to eventually request the 2m back for qora clone bounty since qora is not a clone. Though I recommend not to do that as developers would feel unmotivated.

▄▄  ▄▄                
            ██  ▀▀  ▀▀   ██           
        ██                   ██

██  ██  ▄▄            
                  ███       ▀▀        
                          ███         
               ███           ▀▀       
                     ███              
    ▀▀    ▄▄              ▀▀          
      ▀▀      ██  ███                 
             ██  ██  ███              
       ██                    ██       
           ███  ▄▄▄  ▄▄  ███          
                ▀▀▀  ▀▀               

STREAMITY

Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
  Telegram
LinkedIn
Medium
rlh

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 01:45:12 PM

No problem.  Let me do it this evening.  My client is at home, and I won't be able to sit at it for another 12 hours.  I'll Post the addresses then and PM them to you.

Again, for the sake of everyone, I am not willing to manage any bounties (can be to much drama for my preference) but once clear committees are formed, I'm willing to be the active treasurer.

Chalkboard, since this is your funding, I am willing to send your initial seed funding back to you until bounty communities get organized.  In other words, if a month passes and no one takes inteterest in one of your bounties, I'm willing to give the funds back to you at your request.  However, once committees take organization of a bounty, the funds will be locked until they instruct me on what to do with them.

Djinou94
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 01:45:22 PM

Don't forget to ask Renato i'm sure he can help a bit  Smiley
nextgencoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 01:54:19 PM

I contacted qora, rlh, twinwinnerd and pondsea regarding bounties. I also requested the community find more bounty holders/escrowers.
Pondsea and Qora ignored the request.
Twinwinnerd and rlh rejected the request.
The community didn't attempt to find anyone to hold funds.

It's gonna be tough to work like this.

Question: Do you need heads up as to who is doing what (i.e. should I PM you which I am working on) or will the reward be given to the first to produce? Thanks.
The latter.

You can't go around saying people are ignoring your requests??? people might have a 101 reasons for not getting back to you straight away.
chalkboard17

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 01:56:02 PM

No problem.  Let me do it this evening.  My client is at home, and I won't be able to sit at it for another 12 hours.  I'll Post the addresses then and PM them to you.
Don't PM me. Post them here.

Chalkboard, since this is your funding, I am willing to send your initial seed funding back to you until bounty communities get organized.  In other words, if a month passes and no one takes inteterest in one of your bounties, I'm willing to give the funds back to you at your request.  However, once committees take organization of a bounty, the funds will be locked until they instruct me on what to do with them.
It's not MY funding. I'm just stepping forward. Others can and should donate too, so it will be our funding. I agree with your terms.

▄▄  ▄▄                
            ██  ▀▀  ▀▀   ██           
        ██                   ██

██  ██  ▄▄            
                  ███       ▀▀        
                          ███         
               ███           ▀▀       
                     ███              
    ▀▀    ▄▄              ▀▀          
      ▀▀      ██  ███                 
             ██  ██  ███              
       ██                    ██       
           ███  ▄▄▄  ▄▄  ███          
                ▀▀▀  ▀▀               

STREAMITY

Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
  Telegram
LinkedIn
Medium
vytasz7

Activity: 561
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 02:33:25 PM

Don't forget to ask Renato i'm sure he can help a bit  Smiley

anybody know how much Renato sold for a few satoshis?
kushti

Activity: 315
Merit: 103

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2014, 03:00:22 PM

Congrats guys, open source really matters!

First look thoughts:

1. This is definitely not another Nxt fork
2. What's in native libs? I guess the should be opensourced as well.
3. I did successfully run Qora under Intellij Idea by importing Eclipse project in the repo and adding native libs to a project
4. JSON settings are looking cool, but comments are needed, I guess, especially for non-coders
5. Got unsafe memory issue related to MapDb https://github.com/Qora/Qora/issues/8 . I guess it's better to avoid off-heap operations, for current MapDb state at least. I bet I did read Jan Kotek's article on how to do that.
6. Worse issue, I got not much useful message trying to run a node after crash https://github.com/Qora/Qora/issues/9 . Verbosity matters here.
7. Code seems to be more clean & easier to read than Nxt at the moment. However, after adding features / patches it could be the same, so have luck guys  Grin   And formatting isn't Sun(Oracle)'s standard http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/codeconvtoc-136057.html (the same is true for Nxt).
8. Commented code is not good and not necessary with VCS (the same is true for Nxt at the moment as well)
9. What's the Orders launcher about  Huh
10. Any detailed description of Arbitrary Transaction available?

All I can verify is that Nxt vs. Qora looks completely different.  Also, Qora makes use of the global "Generating Balance" to determine the block Target.  From my scan of the Nxt code, no such value is used.  I think there is a bit more randomness to Nxt than their might be of Qora, but I won't stand by that.  Qora basically looks at the time since the last block, the forgers personal balance and the total balance of forging accounts.  It then uses a fairly straight forward process to test if a block has been forged.

I haven't been able to figure out what Nxt does.  This isn't because of poor Nxt coding.  It's because I don't have the time to look into it.  If a Nxt guru is around, please comment.

You can get Nxt forging algo in slighlty simplified form in my blog http://chepurnoy.org/blog/2014/10/inside-a-proof-of-stake-cryptocurrency-part-2/ . And I'm going to investigate Qora's forging algo(got no detailed view from first investigation). I can even publish a blog on that if it's interesting, and make executable simulation of Qora forging process(I already made that for Nxt https://github.com/ConsensusResearch/ForgingSimulation )

Ergo Platform core dev. Previously IOHK Research / Nxt core dev / SmartContract.com cofounder.
Rgjffhhc

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 03:00:43 PM

Sorry to hide behind a sockpuppet but I dont need the grief.

This Chalkboard guy makes me think he is either Rabbiter or Renat0. You can't walk into a long established coin and start trying to run the show with such a poor attitude. we need bounties for sure but I think this guy sounds just like Renat0, kind of campy and impatient. if he wants to run this he needs to point to an established account on a Bitcoin forum otherwise you have an unknown newbie running stuff, money related too.
chalkboard17

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 03:15:19 PM

If anyone believe is worthy of being trusted as a bounty treasurer please step up and the community will decide whether you should hold them or not.

▄▄  ▄▄                
            ██  ▀▀  ▀▀   ██           
        ██                   ██

██  ██  ▄▄            
                  ███       ▀▀        
                          ███         
               ███           ▀▀       
                     ███              
    ▀▀    ▄▄              ▀▀          
      ▀▀      ██  ███                 
             ██  ██  ███              
       ██                    ██       
           ███  ▄▄▄  ▄▄  ███          
                ▀▀▀  ▀▀               

STREAMITY

Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
  Telegram
LinkedIn
Medium
Fry

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 03:34:23 PM

I haven't been able to figure out what Nxt does.  This isn't because of poor Nxt coding.  It's because I don't have the time to look into it.  If a Nxt guru is around, please comment.

I am not a Nxt guru but i reviewed the Nxt Code and i understand the Nxt forging algo.
Qora's forging Algo is definitely better, if it actually works (safe).
I think the biggest secret is still hidden in these native files.

I am not a crypto-expert, but i think
the problem with ECDSA is that for a specific public key and specific data to sign there are several valid signatures. That makes it normally a bad choice to determinate the next forging account.
Qora must have somehow solved that problem.
But as long as these native libs are not OS we will not know how.
lyynx

Activity: 380
Merit: 275

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 03:48:11 PM

Hey Lynxxx this is your post from a while ago, you are available for marketing full time? :

6    Alternate cryptocurrencies / Announcements (Altcoins) / Re: [ANN] Qora | Released 16 May | 100% POS | New Source   on: September 05, 2014, 01:52:59 AM
I think Qora needs a plan. Here's what I suggest: aka OUR TEAM

Open Source (inluding peer review and whitepaper)
User Adoption Plan - reach out to businesses, universities, vc's
Recruit (Dev's, Marketers, Spokespeople)

Transaction Speed (Viacoin is at 24 seconds and stable, I believe speed will separate 2.0 coins from all the rest.)
Ease of Use (1 step install, stable client, thats dummy proof)
Asset Exchange (We're good to go on that front)
Mobile Wallet

I won't have much time to participate over the next 3 months as i am attending a full stack dev bootcamp starting on monday, but upon my completion, if we are open source by then, i would be willing to assist with marketing full time.

Yes, I am available to handle marketing. I prefer to have a team though. I would need atleast 1 other forum member that has insight into the technical aspects of Qora. If we are going to put ourselves out there, I want to be sure that the info we provide is truthful and solid. If someone has atleast Jr Developer insight into Qora functionality, I would welcome their input when creating materials and information.

paradigmflux

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

small fry

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2014, 04:25:19 PM

I've been there before and I'd rather not do that again.
Embarrassed

---
NXT Multipool! Mine Scrypt, SHA, Keccak or X11 for NXT! http://hashrate.org
http://hashrate.org/getting_started for port info!
rlh

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 04:29:40 PM

Lol, PF.  I've got your back.  It wasn't you.  It was playing referree in the middle of  all that drama.

If I have any reputation in crypto, I hope it's that I avoid drama and I try to be fair and honest.

Speaking of... I've considered asking you if you'd think about expanding into Qora. Wink

Actually, forget that (for now.) If you've been reading about Qora, you might have caught that I'm working on a side project.  After it's done, I might send you a PM asking if you'd like to find a way to involve your operations.

If you might be interested in working with something new, PM me and I'll tell you my top-secret killer app project.  I need to tell someone.  I'm tired of being silent, even if I never finish this thing.

chalkboard17

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 05:23:56 PM

Bounty
I am pledging 1.5 million qora to the first "PoW mining pool" to "mine" Qora.
Example: http://hashrate.org/
A treasurer/escrower for this is necessary, as well as more donation from other people.

▄▄  ▄▄                
            ██  ▀▀  ▀▀   ██           
        ██                   ██

██  ██  ▄▄            
                  ███       ▀▀        
                          ███         
               ███           ▀▀       
                     ███              
    ▀▀    ▄▄              ▀▀          
      ▀▀      ██  ███                 
             ██  ██  ███              
       ██                    ██       
           ███  ▄▄▄  ▄▄  ███          
                ▀▀▀  ▀▀               

STREAMITY

Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
  Telegram
LinkedIn
Medium
Breasal

Activity: 585

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 05:58:48 PM

Congrats guys, open source really matters!

First look thoughts:

1. This is definitely not another Nxt fork
2. What's in native libs? I guess the should be opensourced as well.
3. I did successfully run Qora under Intellij Idea by importing Eclipse project in the repo and adding native libs to a project
4. JSON settings are looking cool, but comments are needed, I guess, especially for non-coders
5. Got unsafe memory issue related to MapDb https://github.com/Qora/Qora/issues/8 . I guess it's better to avoid off-heap operations, for current MapDb state at least. I bet I did read Jan Kotek's article on how to do that.
6. Worse issue, I got not much useful message trying to run a node after crash https://github.com/Qora/Qora/issues/9 . Verbosity matters here.
7. Code seems to be more clean & easier to read than Nxt at the moment. However, after adding features / patches it could be the same, so have luck guys  Grin   And formatting isn't Sun(Oracle)'s standard http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/codeconvtoc-136057.html (the same is true for Nxt).
8. Commented code is not good and not necessary with VCS (the same is true for Nxt at the moment as well)
9. What's the Orders launcher about  Huh
10. Any detailed description of Arbitrary Transaction available?

All I can verify is that Nxt vs. Qora looks completely different.  Also, Qora makes use of the global "Generating Balance" to determine the block Target.  From my scan of the Nxt code, no such value is used.  I think there is a bit more randomness to Nxt than their might be of Qora, but I won't stand by that.  Qora basically looks at the time since the last block, the forgers personal balance and the total balance of forging accounts.  It then uses a fairly straight forward process to test if a block has been forged.

You can get Nxt forging algo in slighlty simplified form in my blog http://chepurnoy.org/blog/2014/10/inside-a-proof-of-stake-cryptocurrency-part-2/ . And I'm going to investigate Qora's forging algo(got no detailed view from first investigation). I can even publish a blog on that if it's interesting, and make executable simulation of Qora forging process(I already made that for Nxt https://github.com/ConsensusResearch/ForgingSimulation )

Kushti - thank you for your review. It would be really great to see you extend an executable simulation of the Qora forging process in your blog. A ConsensusResearch analysis is something that could really add value to the ongoing assessment discussions. Thank you and please do post any further information!
Breasal

Activity: 585

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 06:01:19 PM

If you might be interested in working with something new, PM me and I'll tell you my top-secret killer app project.  I need to tell someone.  I'm tired of being silent, even if I never finish this thing.

I'm getting really curious. You could tell me and I'll delete the PM  Grin

Any clues for the rest of us?
rlh

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 06:07:13 PM

Yes, Kushti, please offer your services.  Many of us will continue to follow.

Unrelated, I'm loving this volume on Bter!  I can turn quick profits on volume.  100 sats would be great, but in the mean time let's keep turning up the orderbook!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... 67 »
  Print  

Jump to: