Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 04:31:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 [160] 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 ... 295 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH  (Read 450938 times)
nexus99
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 06:01:59 PM

This is just to let people know that my Antminer S5 purchase was confirmed paid by BITMAIN today so it looks like the logjam is being cleaned up.

Thank you BITMAIN!

Mine was done yesterday too.
Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 06:15:16 PM

So, same controller as the C1 but not using the micro-SD card?

No,
C1 controller uses  4    2x10 pin cable plugs

S5 uses  4    2x8 pin cable plugs    or 4  2x9 pin cable plugs  depending on S5 model and blades.
opentoe
Legendary

Activity: 1274

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2015, 06:23:45 PM

Along the lines of when the Ants update the GUI and how...
Anyone having 1 blade of their S3+ or s5 periodically shutting down with hashrate dropping to 1/2 and yet the ASIC status show all chips are are fine? Not until a soft reboot will the status show ----- for the entire dead blade.

Do a hard boot and all is well again for several days or weeks before they get lazy again. Out of the 37 Ants in my farm 3 s3+'s and 2 s5's do this. Can't blame the PSU's because all are ran off of server PSU's feeding 2-3 miners and the other miners on the PSU are fine.

I have had it a few times on my S5.  I am using a RM1000.   I just have to reboot even in gui and it fixes it. 

If it is really happening a lot you could use M's antminer monitor and have it automated to reboot if drop in hash that far.

M's monitor program only alerts you, it doesn't actually reboot the miner. Can also SSH into it and type in "reboot" if you can't access the WebGui.

Also, anyone try the modified firmware by smit? It has cgminer 4.9.0 on it and also has voltage control now. He said the firmware is solid and two of my friends updated all their S5's with no problems and they've been running great.

I'm still nervous about the temperature issue I ran into a couple days ago. We have a few examples and screen shots of the temps being over 80c and still operating. Can BITMAIN please look further into this? Who ever codes your firmware, please I beg you. I appreciate it very much. We all do.

Oh, here is a screen capture of my friend's graph stats built into that new firmware. Very cool. Will using that firmware void warranty?

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2015, 06:27:27 PM

If it is really happening a lot you could use M's antminer monitor and have it automated to reboot if drop in hash that far.

M's monitor program only alerts you, it doesn't actually reboot the miner. Can also SSH into it and type in "reboot" if you can't access the WebGui.

I think there's an API script floating about that reboots miners every X hours, to fully automate and minimise downtime. Still not a perfect solution but works if you know you're not going to be able to supervise a unit.

dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2015, 06:28:14 PM

Dogie, I know you want to keep dismissing that this could be a bug in the firmware so would you go on a deal with me here? I'll pull my fan connector off while it is hashing to see if the miner stops operating and protects itself when it hits 80c. I'll perform this if you promise me a new S5 if I burn my rig up? Smiley

I'm not dismissing anything, I'm hypothesising while BW has units in hand and is testing. My unit needs a fresh controller otherwise I'd test mine to destruction.

Whatever you do to your own unit you do at your own risk.

Oh, I thought you were "in" with Bitmain and could get another S5 fairly quickly if yours blew up while testing for the team? Fresh controller? Your controller died or something?

I am, not emailed yet. Bricked a controller trying variations of the SD card OS instructions, never got them to work.

The normal S5 controller, just getting the SD card slot working as a backup OS in case someone bricks their controller. Didn't have luck, unsure if it was persued internally.

opentoe
Legendary

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2015, 06:33:16 PM

Dogie, I know you want to keep dismissing that this could be a bug in the firmware so would you go on a deal with me here? I'll pull my fan connector off while it is hashing to see if the miner stops operating and protects itself when it hits 80c. I'll perform this if you promise me a new S5 if I burn my rig up? Smiley

I'm not dismissing anything, I'm hypothesising while BW has units in hand and is testing. My unit needs a fresh controller otherwise I'd test mine to destruction.

Oh, I thought you were "in" with Bitmain and could get another S5 fairly quickly if yours blew up while testing for the team? Fresh controller? Your controller died or something?

I am, not emailed yet. Bricked a controller trying variations of the SD card OS instructions, never got them to work.

The normal S5 controller, just getting the SD card slot working as a backup OS in case someone bricks their controller. Didn't have luck, unsure if it was persued internally.

Are you able to boot from the SD card like you can on the C1?

HolgerDansk

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 07:07:59 PM

Would it not be better to load the S4 firmware to the controller and then reload the S5 Feb release back?

I've not seen firmware from Bitmain other than the 2015-01-07 release.  Where is the February one?
soy
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 07:31:20 PM

Anyone having 1 blade of their S3+ or s5 periodically shutting down with hashrate dropping to 1/2 and yet the ASIC status show all chips are are fine? Not until a soft reboot will the status show ----- for the entire dead blade.

Do a hard boot and all is well again for several days or weeks before they get lazy again. Out of the 37 Ants in my farm 3 s3+'s and 2 s5's do this. Can't blame the PSU's because all are ran off of server PSU's feeding 2-3 miners and the other miners on the PSU are fine.

The poorly working S3 I got 'new' from Pines Computer in Florida via Amazon does that.  The hashrate falls but a hot reboot doesn't help as much as running /etc/init.d/cgminer stop && sleep 2 && /etc/init.d/cgminer start but sometimes I do a shutdown and restart and x's or -'s will show - then I shut down for a full minute or more then restart and restarts all good.
Mikestang
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 07:32:48 PM

Bitmain can we have S1->S5 upgrade kits ?

Not worth the effort, just buy a used S5 and sell (give away) your S1.
MyRig
Donator

Activity: 792
Merit: 510

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2015, 07:40:59 PM

M's monitor can reboot the miners remotely, but if the soft reboot fails, it can't reboot.  Also, this is a software based solution and not a hardware solution, so when you have to shut it off (Off OFF), you don't have an option.

most of the time, Antminer products with X on the chips will go away, when you do a HARD POWER OFF.

Bitcoin Mining is sadly to say, requires more human attention than running SuperMicro Servers in the data center.  Hands & Knee approach is needed

Antminer products will let you reduce as much human interaction as possible, but it is a specialty computer processing unit and requires HUMAN ATTENTION.

At the same time, Antminer has many configurable options and you can still run your own MOD but at your own risk.  (Our hardware DOES NOT void warranty for you to open it up and look inside or move things around but when you change the original configuration such as a different cooling fans, different firmware, pencil mod parts into the PCB, often time it will work but when you experience the "OH, SH*T" moment, we may not be able to honor the warranty for you as it was operated outside the safety spec.

if you think you can deploy a farm and just walk away without maintenance and supervision of the farm daily, it will not work at this stage of the mining industry.

Definitely, we have farms that were setup once with a few days of perfecting it, then walked away for months for self operation but that requires hardware and software approach with daily monitoring and on-site staffs for just in case emergency. (Also, all the certification and safety precautions being implemented to include unexpected overheated unit interaction as needed but it is deployed in the way that self extinguishes and no flammable near by)

Warranty wise, any modification from the original configuration will void the warranty or being denied of warranty.  It is like Buying a Toyota and replace it with your custom made Tesla Engine in it and blow it up.  

Antminer & DragonMint Repair  E-mail: support@myrig.com   T: @MyRig_com
Return Address: MyRig 3700 Quebec Street, Unit 100-239, Denver, Colorado 80207, USA
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2015, 07:41:37 PM

Are you able to boot from the SD card like you can on the C1?

No, it never worked as I said.

MyRig
Donator

Activity: 792
Merit: 510

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2015, 07:52:35 PM

If you bricked S5 controller's firmware, it can be restored depends on how badly it is messed up the internal firmware by using the MicroSD card.

You can reboot S5 from a bootable MicroSD card with S5 bootable image on them.

Once you booted S5 from the MicroSD card, please SSH into the S5 and run this command and it will fix the internal firmware issues.  If you are not familier with this process, you can always request a live tech to remote into your computer, create a bootable recovery MicroSD card for you and run this SSH with you.

/etc/init.d/pgnand.sh

Bootable Image can be downloaded from here:

https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203461209-Jan-7-Firmware-Image

You can use this file to restore any MicroSD card (preferably 4GB card) with HDD GURU's Raw Disk Copy Tool that is free to download on the Internet.

Antminer & DragonMint Repair  E-mail: support@myrig.com   T: @MyRig_com
Return Address: MyRig 3700 Quebec Street, Unit 100-239, Denver, Colorado 80207, USA
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 2604

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 08:28:00 PM
Last edit: March 22, 2015, 08:48:13 PM by NotFuzzyWarm

I have had it a few times on my S5.  I am using a RM1000.   I just have to reboot even in gui and it fixes it.  

I use M's Monitor but as I originally posted a software reboot does not restore it. Sw reboot *does* show what the issue is though, namely that one entire blade has shut down with the ----- telling that there is an issue with the Vcore.

Just as when you change the Vcore with the advanced settings it take a hard boot - full power down - before the regulator circuits on the blades reset. Once they shut down just resetting the OS does not clear it.

What disturbs me more is that the GUI and M's Monitor do not catch that. Both say the chips are there and working fine with the only symptom is reporting 1/2 speed. Since sw boot restarts CGminer and only then does the missing side show up, possibly presence-checking is only done from a cold boot?

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome!  3NtFuzyWREGoDHWeMczeJzxFZpiLAFJXYr
 -Sole remaining active Primary developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 08:40:36 PM
Last edit: March 22, 2015, 09:04:53 PM by NotFuzzyWarm

^^ Looking at some home automation bits to mabey trip small relays on the PSU's to cycle the rails on & off. Maybe RasPi/Beaglebone/Audrino home automation programs as well. Biggest point is low cost hardware and the ability to remote in to cycle the power as needed...
Only bad thing is that that requires poking a pinhole in Firewalls and am not to crazy about doing that. Hmm, now if M's Monitor could trip a script to a same networked power controller...

+1 to Bitmain Warrenty for clearly stating what needed to be said: Miners are exceedingly reliable but - once you start getting a lot of them odds are issues will crop up requiring the Human touch. For me it the same 5 miners that get lazy, all the others run perfectly with zero interventions, still 5 out of 37... Troubling odds.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome!  3NtFuzyWREGoDHWeMczeJzxFZpiLAFJXYr
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
pmorici

Activity: 479
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 09:03:22 PM

^^ Looking at some home automation bits to mabey trip small relays on the PSU's to cycle the rails on & off. Maybe RasPi/Beaglebone/Audrino home automation programs as well. Biggest point is low cost hardware and the ability to remote in to cycle the power as needed...

Check out the Gigampz PSUs.  they have support for hooking directly to a Rpi or Arduino for remote power cycling.

http://www.gigampz.com

There are some reviews from customers in the hardware section on the forum.  All positive.  The price is pretty unbeatable too.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 09:07:44 PM

I have both GigAmpz and Gekkoscinece boards. Nice for breakouts but both the HP and IBM server PSU's are fully remotable bare. Just need to close a single set of contacts via relay or opto-isolator. btw: that applies to regular pc PSU's as well: replace the paper clip with a switch... It's the controller end that is still not-quite-there.

Now these are available for the RasPi http://www.newark.com/piface/piface-relay/relay-extra-expansion-port-rpi/dp/93X7448?MER=ACC_N_L5_SemiconductorsToolsAndAccessories_None along with http://www.newark.com/piface/piface-relay-extra/relay-extra-4-c-o-relay-rpi-sbc/dp/93X7449?et_cid=25549387&et_rid=1224983&CMP=EMC-25549387&v=1 to give 8 relay outputs.

sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 09:21:56 PM

Yep, Gekkoscience boards are also externally triggerable for poweron/off. Enabling EON (DIP switch 3 on a full-feature board, or on by default on reduced-feature) and then give it an active-high signal (anything from 3 to 12V) on the EON header pin will kick the PSU on and off automatically. I put that feature on so they could be used easily alongside ATX supplies for GPU rails and such, and also to make remote administration easier. A single RPI's GPIO pins could easily manage a stack of PSUs from one network connection.

Additionally
link=topic=902305.msg10853244#msg10853244 date=1427056080]

Just as when you change the Vcore with the advanced settings it take a hard boot - full power down - before the regulator circuits on the blades reset. Once they shut down just resetting the OS does not clear it.

Did they redesign the S5 with a software-settable voltage? Or is this a nonfunctional holdover from S4 code, which I believe does have actual chip-level regulation? As far as I know, this does not exist on the S5.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 09:35:01 PM
Last edit: March 22, 2015, 09:55:15 PM by NotFuzzyWarm

Yep, Gekkoscience boards are also externally triggerable for poweron/off. Enabling EON (DIP switch 3 on a full-feature board, or on by default on reduced-feature) and then give it an active-high signal (anything from 3 to 12V) on the EON header pin will kick the PSU on and off automatically. I put that feature on so they could be used easily alongside ATX supplies for GPU rails and such, and also to make remote administration easier. A single RPI's GPIO pins could easily manage a stack of PSUs from one network connection.

Additionally
[link=topic=902305.msg10853244#msg10853244 date=1427056080]

Did they redesign the S5 with a software-settable voltage? Or is this a nonfunctional holdover from S4 code, which I believe does have actual chip-level regulation? As far as I know, this does not exist on the S5.
Nope. s5 with its series string does not have changeable Vcore. Was refering to the s3+'s & s4, C1's there.Think it has more to do with the regulator chips themselves. Based on forensics I did for AMT with their failed A1 miners I assume the core regulators self start as soon as the rail voltage appears. From there they read their internal registers for what voltage to set. Programmable - yes. Changeable on-the-fly using SPI coms, not necessarily. Warm-restartable, nope.

What's that link you gave? doesn't work.

opentoe
Legendary

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2015, 09:44:36 PM

M's monitor can reboot the miners remotely, but if the soft reboot fails, it can't reboot.  Also, this is a software based solution and not a hardware solution, so when you have to shut it off (Off OFF), you don't have an option.

most of the time, Antminer products with X on the chips will go away, when you do a HARD POWER OFF.

Bitcoin Mining is sadly to say, requires more human attention than running SuperMicro Servers in the data center.  Hands & Knee approach is needed

Antminer products will let you reduce as much human interaction as possible, but it is a specialty computer processing unit and requires HUMAN ATTENTION.

At the same time, Antminer has many configurable options and you can still run your own MOD but at your own risk.  (Our hardware DOES NOT void warranty for you to open it up and look inside or move things around but when you change the original configuration such as a different cooling fans, different firmware, pencil mod parts into the PCB, often time it will work but when you experience the "OH, SH*T" moment, we may not be able to honor the warranty for you as it was operated outside the safety spec.

if you think you can deploy a farm and just walk away without maintenance and supervision of the farm daily, it will not work at this stage of the mining industry.

Definitely, we have farms that were setup once with a few days of perfecting it, then walked away for months for self operation but that requires hardware and software approach with daily monitoring and on-site staffs for just in case emergency. (Also, all the certification and safety precautions being implemented to include unexpected overheated unit interaction as needed but it is deployed in the way that self extinguishes and no flammable near by)

Warranty wise, any modification from the original configuration will void the warranty or being denied of warranty.  It is like Buying a Toyota and replace it with your custom made Tesla Engine in it and blow it up.  

I've operated several OTN's and Headend's in large communication companies and fully aware of what you are saying. Being aware of specifications and hardware limitations is a must, and that is why questions are asked and scenario's brought up when things don't happen that are supposed to. Hence my situation with the runaway temperature on Friday I had that confused me.

I believe in keeping a mining rig stock if it works just fine and stays cool, which it does. That's why I have fans sitting in my kitchen not opened or being used, since I thought cooling would have been a problem. But since I do not overclock and not interested in that there was never a need for fan replacements. I impulsively bought them prematurely. Amazon has a great return policy.

We are expected to leave home and go to work and not come home to a fried miner, right? We all check daily on our miners and expect them to perform and run somewhat without human intervention and do understand a reset and a cleaning is due from time to time but if we are running a stock rig and see screen shots of temps over 90c (a couple just here in this thread) are we to assume there could possibly be a problem with the 80c shutdown/freeze/stop option? I can't speak for everyone, but I'm very aware of my miner's temps, hashrate, sound, and how it will react to what I do to it. What you are telling us is nothing new. It's not like you give a year warranty. Sounds like you are justifying if anything happens to one of our miners it automatically is something we changed or modified to it. Innocent until proven guilty, at least it should be. I love Antminer products, but coming from the Spondoolie world which required zero human intervention for months at a time is a whole different world and is something I had to get use to, which I did.

I have a request for a firmware change, or if someone can implement it I think we would be able to "donate" to their efforts since maybe others would be interested in this as well. Since we can't have the software turn the miner off, can we have the firmware kill cgminer and reboot the miner if temps reach 80c? Or something more robust then what it is supposed to do now, which I (we) don't know since we've seen screen shots of 80c+ screen shots. Maybe someone can come up with something better than this request. If the miner is able to reboot successfully at least we'll see that in our pool graphs and knew it happened. It is not a secret that Antminer doesn't release or update a lot of their firmware, which kind of forces us to take that into our own hands if we want the benefits of the new cgminer and features. I only have Spondoolie to compare to recently and I believe my SP10's had over 10-12 firmware updates. The C1 firmware still runs cgminer 4.6 or 4.7 something, right? There have been several fixes and features that we all could use in a new fresh firmware on an older product. I hope Antminer keeps up on updating the firmware and doesn't keep us in the dark when new software rolls out.

I'm ready to start using my linux VPS to learn programming and how to compile software, mostly some firmware. Smiley I always hate to be at the mercy of someone else, but programming was never my niche.

While M's monitor may be able to 'software' reboot the rig it cannot reboot it with a trigger. This is from the horse's mouth.

I asked M's monitor author this question yesterday.
Quote from: opentoe on March 21, 2015, 07:05:38 PM
Is this software able to reboot an S5 when it reaches a certain temp?

Not in its current form.

M

sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 09:54:21 PM

Nope. s5 with its series string does not have changeable Vcore. Was refering to the s3+'s & s4, C1's there.Think it has more to do with the regulator chips themselves. Based on forensics I did for AMT with their failed A1 miners I assume the core regulators self start as soon as the rail voltage appears. From there they read their internal registers for what voltage to set. Programmable - yes. Changeable on-the-fly, not necessarily.

What's that link you gave? doesn't work.

Looks to be a botched top-level quote of some kind? Whoops.

Anyway, thanks for the info on S3+/S4 VRMs. I haven't actually messed with either (I just got my first look at an S4 on Friday night when some came in for hosting) but I knew the initial design for the S5 had zero regulation ability. We're working on a BM1384 design which should allow dynamic voltage adjustment; the regulator is still in design stage and I haven't had time to prototype it yet.

Also, I may have to take the time and hard-set the fans to 100% for the S5s in hosting here just in case.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Pages: « 1 ... 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 [160] 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 ... 295 »
  Print  

Jump to: