Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 07:36:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A Theory on what pirateat40 is doing  (Read 39910 times)
apetersson (OP)

Activity: 668
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 09:02:58 AM

So here is my guess:

Pirate was approached by "big players" that they want to invest USD in Bitcoin, but without moving the market.

They are committed to buy whatever amount he offers them, as long as the price stays low.

Pirate needs Bitcoins for two reasons:
1 - he sells them for a defined rate to the big players most likely at a high premium
2 - he uses bitcoins at strategic moments when the rate goes too high to create askwalls to push the price down gently. hopefully for him he does not actually sell them.

then he uses his USD to cover his expenses to pay the interest

their hope may be to aquire a significant amount of bitcoins without overpaying. and doing it that way it may actually work.

So my guess is, as long as the bitcoin rate stays relatively low his lending scheme will go on. once the price reaches his pain point (maybe 10 USD/BTC) he will start to unwind the loans and maybe even repay the lenders (or keep all the precious bitcoins himself). in my theory it could very well end with a drastic bitcoin rate increase which could spark another mania.

is this a possibility? is there any evidence which falsifies this theory?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 09:24:29 AM

So here is my guess:

Pirate was approached by "big players" that they want to invest USD in Bitcoin, but without moving the market.

They are committed to buy whatever amount he offers them, as long as the price stays low.

Pirate needs Bitcoins for two reasons:
1 - he sells them for a defined rate to the big players most likely at a high premium
2 - he uses bitcoins at strategic moments when the rate goes too high to create askwalls to push the price down gently. hopefully for him he does not actually sell them.

then he uses his USD to cover his expenses to pay the interest

their hope may be to aquire a significant amount of bitcoins without overpaying. and doing it that way it may actually work.

So my guess is, as long as the bitcoin rate stays relatively low his lending scheme will go on. once the price reaches his pain point (maybe 10 USD/BTC) he will start to unwind the loans and maybe even repay the lenders (or keep all the precious bitcoins himself). in my theory it could very well end with a drastic bitcoin rate increase which could spark another mania.

Ah, yes, that's why he recently announced that his interest rate will go down - he knows that the price is going to $10/BTC.  High five!

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 11:02:41 AM

OP, ever heard of Occam's razor?

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 11:06:51 AM

OP, ever heard of Occam's razor?

Exactly, what I wanted to say.

-
apetersson (OP)

Activity: 668

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 11:31:30 AM

yes, of course i know about occams razor. my speculation assumes the statements pirate made were actually true.
bitdragon

Activity: 609

peace

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2012, 11:39:25 AM

what do you make of:

Unlimited Deposits

For Trust accounts starting at 5%.

finkleshnorts

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 11:55:27 AM

I used to believe that too.
coretechs
Donator

Activity: 362

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 12:46:05 PM
Last edit: July 04, 2012, 02:42:07 PM by coretechs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CPM6wsHkT8

https://bitcoindoc.com - The Rise and Rise of Bitcoin | https://blocktap.io - Lightning powered crypto query engine
DarkEmi

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 01:57:44 PM

In my humble opinion the activity that Pirate is doing has all the characteristics of a Ponzi.

I am often quite surprised that they are so many people that seems to think that his business is genuine

ProProfi.com
The first home improvement service cryptocurrency project
ICO | Discuss on Forum
Vladimir

-

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 02:08:47 PM

In my humble opinion the activity that Pirate is doing has all the characteristics of a Ponzi.

I am often quite surprised that they are so many people that seems to think that his business is genuine

“it is impossible to make a man see something that his `paycheck` depends upon him not seeing it.”

-
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 02:15:59 PM

“it is impossible to make a man see something that his `paycheck` depends upon him not seeing it.”

That's one of the most important truths out there.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 02:26:53 PM

I know no one has brought this up or even thought of it, but would I be too bold to say? PONZi!!!!  lulz

Love how you are all getting your panties up in a bunch.

Also, BurtW in the other thread with the same behaviour : shouting ponzi,ponzi,ponzi,ponzi,ponzi etc.

Game is over soon for the pirate ...

Funny because I thought you were one of the most trustful guys on this forum, goat !
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 02:27:18 PM

No. Just that he can do all of this with his own funds and get less than 12 weeks amortization time and exponential growth of his own funds, so why the hell is he giving away free money?

Stay in reality. A shady charity? Are you serious?
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 02:35:27 PM

If pirate ends up running not a Ponzi but instead does what he says: selling BTC at high premium, Bitcoin could be taken for a nice ride within next few years.

All Ponzi speculation aside, we know this theory has a merit and high probability it may be one. Are there any other plausible explanations to pirate's operation with such great returns?

At first I couldn't imagine who would want to buy bitcoins at high premium and why. do you know?! Besides drug cartels, money laundry and some three letter agency questionable special covert ops funding?

What if there are smart and wealthy individuals who realized great potential of Bitcoin and decided to get in. Their target may be significant amount of bitcoins without driving exchange rate through the roof and they are ready to invest several million dollars. Although they could have gone through exchanges and probably buy bitcoins even at $10-20/BTC wouldn't it make sense to setup bitcoin lending operation and purchase at 10-15% premium all sub $10 bitcoins - given that they don't want to spend significant amounts of time on exchanges to acquire bitcoins at slow steady pace. They want to sign a check each week and get their bitcoins. Here comes the pirate and ready to sell at 10-15% premium. Pirate alone or conspiring with these individuals to keep bitcoin rate as sane prices (sub $10/BTC for instance) throughout their acquisition period. Bitcoin prices at $4-7 seem fair and pretty stable. Sub $4-3 prices - and everyone wants in so the rate isn't stable; over $8 and there is a risk of another bitcoin hype and explosion which could potentially get out of their control.
Once these individuals hit their target and complete acquisition they will start telling about Bitcoin to all their other wealthy buddies or simply start a new hype, or they don't even have to do anything if they have managed to acquire all available sub $10 bitcoins and the price will naturally start to rise (through the roof) to mid double or maybe even up to triple digits.

$5-6/BTC + 10-15%   better than over $10 BTC when purchasing, is it not?

Could this possibly work while providing great interest rates to lenders at the same time manipulating exchanges with great psychological walls to keep bitcoin prices at low rates for the time being? Or it doesn't make any sense? What do you guys think?
pirateat40
Avast Ye!

Activity: 378

"Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late."

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2012, 02:39:31 PM

If pirate ends up running not a Ponzi but instead does what he says: selling BTC at high premium, Bitcoin could be taken for a nice ride within next few years.

All Ponzi speculation aside, we know this theory has a merit and high probability it may be one. Are there any other plausible explanations to pirate's operation with such great returns?

At first I couldn't imagine who would want to buy bitcoins at high premium and why. do you know?! Besides drug cartels, money laundry and some three letter agency questionable special covert ops funding?

What if there are smart and wealthy individuals who realized great potential of Bitcoin and decided to get in. Their target may be significant amount of bitcoins without driving exchange rate through the roof and they are ready to invest several million dollars. Although they could have gone through exchanges and probably buy bitcoins even at $10-20/BTC wouldn't it make sense to setup bitcoin lending operation and purchase at 10-15% premium all sub $10 bitcoins - given that they don't want to spend significant amounts of time on exchanges to acquire bitcoins at slow steady pace. They want to sign a check each week and get their bitcoins. Here comes the pirate and ready to sell at 10-15% premium. Pirate alone or conspiring with these individuals to keep bitcoin rate as sane prices (sub $10/BTC for instance) throughout their acquisition period. Bitcoin prices at $4-7 seem fair and pretty stable. Sub $4-3 prices - and everyone wants in so the rate isn't stable; over $8 and there is a risk of another bitcoin hype and explosion which could potentially get out of their control.
Once these individuals hit their target and complete acquisition they will start telling about Bitcoin to all their other wealthy buddies or simply start a new hype, or they don't even have to do anything if they have managed to acquire all available sub $10 bitcoins and the price will naturally start to rise (through the roof) to mid double or maybe even up to triple digits.

Could this possibly work while providing great interest rates to lenders at the same time manipulating exchanges with great psychological walls to keep bitcoin prices as low rates for time being? Or it doesn't make any sense? What do you guys think?

Oh boy!!!  Someone is stepping close to treasure.  ATTACK!!!!!

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2012, 02:42:14 PM

I wonder who will be wearing a bathing costume when the tide recedes?

Vladimir

-

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 02:45:51 PM

Infantry cannot hold the lines, cavalry to the rescue!

-
bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 02:59:05 PM

Could this possibly work while providing great interest rates to lenders at the same time manipulating exchanges with great psychological walls to keep bitcoin prices as low rates for time being? Or it doesn't make any sense? What do you guys think?

It just does not make sense mate.

Why did you lock the thread ? Feeling the pressure building up ? Can't hold off the accusations ?

Why not talk to BitPay which holds 50K from BFL sales nobody wants ? Or come to an early adopter like me and we can work something out.

I don't buy it, sorry.

Also, no more storage updates is weird.
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 03:05:21 PM

The reason Pirateat40 responded to Serge is because it draws attention to the wrong side of the problem, the one that takes more time to discuss.

Serge, an idea for the most profitable enterprise of all time is not the point of discussion here. The question is why would he continue to share it! Sure, in the beginning he might have lacked funds. But now? There's just no way any sensible person would now try to get as many investors as possible!

This argument kills it in one go. All counters have been quickly debunked. Wake up and help spreading the word already.
naima53

Activity: 616
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 03:08:23 PM

Could this possibly work while providing great interest rates to lenders at the same time manipulating exchanges with great psychological walls to keep bitcoin prices at low rates for the time being? Or it doesn't make any sense? What do you guys think?
+100 You are very smart .. Undecided

Donate me) 16f6iWHHkVEnDReeBQPT9GwCNwUfPTXrp2
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: