Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:20:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: 100% proof pirate runs a ponzi (thought experiment)  (Read 8627 times)
hazek (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 04:40:12 PM
Last edit: July 08, 2012, 09:51:58 AM by hazek

First off this is a serious post although it may appear as trolling to some who don't value science as much as I do.

Circumstance:
- pirate's business remarkably resembles as HYIP ponzi scheme the inevitable outcome of which will result in a total loss for everyone who "invested" with him
- there is no actual credible evidence that would either confirm or deny that pirate runs a ponzi*

In a sense the nature of pirate's business is like the Schrödinger's cat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOYyCHGWJq4

It's in a superposition where it's both a ponzi and a legit business -> 100% proof (not really but you get the point). Only after we get a peek behind the curtain will know which it really is.

Bottom line:
- Those who are "investing" with pirate or defending his practices need to understand that at least some of the time it's certain they are getting scamed and will lose everything and are even defending the scamming.

*we actually do have some circumstantial evidence based on pirates posts that does tip the scale slightly in favor of a ponzi scam but nothing that could stick in a court of law

EDIT:
Disclaimer: I thought it would have been obvious but it appears I overestimated the intelligence of some, particularly that of the first few posters who replied: This is a thought experiment, and not actually a concrete proof either way.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 04:43:10 PM

Circumstance:
-  resembles
- there is no actual credible evidence

*circumstantial evidence

nothing that could stick in a court of law
Nothing to see here, move on.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2012, 04:44:41 PM

Ok Bill Nye, let's break it down:

First off this is a serious post although it may appear as trolling to some who don't value science as much as I do.

Circumstance:
- pirate's business remarkably resembles as HYIP ponzi scheme an inevitable outcome of which will result in a total loss for everyone who "invested" with him
- there is no actual credible evidence that would either confirm or deny that pirate runs a ponzi*

does not equal

it's certain they are getting scamed and will lose everything

You need to go reread about causation and then work on your logic skills.

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
enmaku

Activity: 742

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 04:46:41 PM

Schrodinger's cat: IDTTMWYTIM...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWMTOrux0LM
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 04:53:09 PM

I hoped to read about some real findings on the blockchain that pirate for example only pays out interest from deposit addresses or something like that...

Sorry, but even though I'm also VERY sceptical about whatever pirateat40 does (my guess was/is ponzi by proxy, like "investing" in MMM - but then there's the question how he gets these amounts of BTC back from fiat without causing a rally at MtGox) I hate "Occlam's razor says"... "if it quacks like a duck"... and "it really looks and is operated like other HYIP scams"... "proofs", especially paired with percentages.

Post blockchain evidence, IP logs, photos of pirateat40 with big suitcases full of USD... but not the same crap all the time that "it smells like ponzi in here".

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 05:03:43 PM

Circumstance:
- pirate's business remarkably resembles as HYIP ponzi scheme an inevitable outcome of which will result in a total loss for everyone who "invested" with him

does not equal

You need to go reread about causation and then work on your logic skills.

+1
hazek (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 05:05:53 PM

Circumstance:

does equal

Do you see what I did there?

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2012, 05:08:42 PM

Hey hazek,

I'm not following the situation with pirate, but this seems like a big issue -if true- needs to be addresses.

You obviously came to your findings based on evidence you have found and

*we actually do have some circumstantial evidence based on pirates posts that does tip the scale slightly in favor of a ponzi scam but nothing that could stick in a court of law

In that paste you cited some proof, can you share it ?

EDIT: I'v read some others posts as well on the topic so would be cool to hear your side

-Charlie

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
hazek (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 05:10:36 PM

Hey hazek,

I'm not following the situation with pirate, but this seems like a big issue -if true- needs to be addresses.

EDIT: I'v read some others posts as well on the topic so would be cool to hear your side

-Charlie

Here are some of the things that are alarming:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91653.0

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 05:18:10 PM

Hey hazek,

-Charlie

Here are some of the things that are alarming:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91653.0

alarming != proof, LogicMan.
Francesco

Activity: 252

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 05:39:26 PM

Circumstance:
- pirate's business remarkably resembles as HYIP ponzi scheme the inevitable outcome of which will result in a total loss for everyone who "invested" with him

In a sense the nature of pirate's business is like the Schrödinger's cat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOYyCHGWJq4

It's in a superposition where it's both a ponzi and a legit business. Only after we get a peek behind the curtain will know which it really is.

Bottom line:
- Those who are "investing" with pirate or defending his practices need to understand that at least some of the time it's certain they are getting scamed and will lose everything and are even defending the scamming.

EDIT:
Disclaimer: I thought it would have been obvious but it appears I overestimated the intelligence of some, particularly that of the first few posters who replied: This is a thought experiment, and not actually a concrete proof either way.

I believe Pirate is a Ponzi, but I am ever more certain you are trolling. Please get a life and leave quantum physics alone  Tongue
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 05:47:20 PM

Hazek, you have a good point, even if you decided to obscure it for some reason:

Anyone investing in a business that can't, with the information available, be distinguished from a ponzi is playing a losing game. Eventually, anyone that trusting or greedy will get taken for a ride.

Therefore, the question for any investor is not whether or not pirateat40's service can be proven legit or fraudulent. It's whether the information available indicates it's prudent to invest in the sc

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2012, 05:49:29 PM

Hazek, you have a good point, even if you decided to obscure it for some reason:

Anyone investing in a business that can't, with the information available, be distinguished from a ponzi is playing a losing game. Eventually, anyone that trusting or greedy will get taken for a ride.

Therefore, the question for any investor is not whether or not pirateat40's service can be proven legit or fraudulent. It's whether the information available indicates it's prudent to invest in the sc

Agreed +1

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 05:49:43 PM

I agree, this is the heart of the matter. And anyone who defends such a thing as legit would similarly defend a ponzi scheme as legit: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91552.0

Here is my assessment for the interested: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=50822.msg1006256#msg1006256

BTW, moving this because it's not really related to price speculation.
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 05:51:41 PM

This all started with pirate's recent change of terms.

Most telling:

We are not supposed to say evil things in threads concerning "Bitcoin Savings and Trust" or their various clones and offspring, thus it gets an extra thread. Actually, it's not just that one that worries me, but it is the most prominent example.

I'm looking to pull one bigger than mybitcoin.com.  If figure, go big or go back to work. Smiley

Occam's razor:

You don't have a shred of evidence or even an idea of what I do. 

Um, I think this is the problem.

Probable default around July 27:

Ponzi "investors" shall be more worried about return of capital, as opposed to return on capital. Specifically between now and miracle of anonymous operator ceasing being anonymous event that is reportedly scheduled to happen a few weeks down the road.

Howdy, 

I'll be in Las Vegas July 27th through July 29th with some of the biggest names in Bitcoin.  If you're in the area drop by and we can all chat.  Contact me for details if you're interested.

P.S. Private security will be present so no fishy business. Tongue 

-pirate

Bold move considering people will learn how you look and who you really are. It's almost as if this was a stunt to inspire confidence.

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 05:55:57 PM

+1 perfectly said.

It is entirely possible that Pirate operation is legit.   
It is also entirely possible that it is a ponzi scheme. 
At least with the limited information given to investors there is no way to make an accurate determination.

So if Pirate's investors don't get scammed this time around it will simply be due to blind luck and if they keep investing with the same lack of due diligence they will eventually be burned.
hazek (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 06:00:32 PM

+1 perfectly said.

It is entirely possible that Pirate operation is legit.   
It is also entirely possible that it is a ponzi scheme. 
At least with the limited information given to investors there is no way to make an accurate determination.

So if Pirate's investors don't get scammed this time around it will simply be due to blind luck and if they keep investing with the same lack of due diligence they will eventually be burned.

That's exactly what I was going for with my OP.. Any suggestions how I can edit it to make it clearer?

nimda

Activity: 784

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 06:04:22 PM

Warning - while you were reading 6 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

GEEZUS GUYZ CALM DOWN!!!!111one

It's a gamble. A really big gamble. I'd rather give my money to pirate than satoshiDICE. And I don't give him much.

@The OP
Work on your logic. While Schrodinger's cat is in its box, there is no "100% proof" that it's dead. We take the waveform of both the dead and the alive cat, but that doesn't mean much.
Why isn't your post 100% proof that pirate runs a legit business?

Here's a similarly flawed argument in favor of pirate:
"Statistically speaking, pirate always pays interest, therefore this is a 0-risk deposit"
hazek (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 06:07:09 PM

Warning - while you were reading 6 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

It's a gamble. A really big gamble. I'd rather give my money to pirate than satoshiDICE. And I don't give him much.

@The OP
Work on your logic. While Schrodinger's cat is in its box, there is no "100% proof" that it's dead. We take the waveform of both the dead and the alive cat, but that doesn't mean much.

"Statistically speaking, pirate always pays interest, therefore this is a 0-risk deposit"

If it can be a ponzi it is a ponzi some of the time -> 100% proof.

N12
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 06:11:05 PM

1. Spend couple of months trading #bitcoin-OTC and bitcointalk to build reputation with constructed ninjaat40 identity
2. Offer 10% per week saying you do "Market Arbitrage" and "Private Loans To Network Members"
3. Watch pirate investor money flow to ninja

How can we prove that the ninjaat40 is a ponzi op?
nimda

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 06:14:09 PM

@The OP

Bullshit. "If it can be legit it is legit some of the time -> 100% proof it's not a ponzi."
hazek (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 06:14:43 PM

1. Spend couple of months trading #bitcoin-OTC and bitcointalk to build reputation with constructed ninjaat40 identity
2. Offer 10% per week saying you do "Market Arbitrage" and "Private Loans To Network Members"
3. Watch pirate investor money flow to ninja

How can we prove that the ninjaat40 is a ponzi op?

If it can be it is some of time.

But we can't prove that is this time, unless we get a peek behind the curtain - that's the only way to know that.

jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 06:17:16 PM

That's exactly what I was going for with my OP.. Any suggestions how I can edit it to make it clearer?

The thread title is thoroughly misleading.

There is, in fact, zero proof that pirate runs a ponzi.

(however, as you and others have pointed out, there is zero proof that it is not a ponzi also)

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
hazek (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 06:17:58 PM

@The OP

Bullshit. "If it can be legit it is legit some of the time -> 100% proof it's not a ponzi."

Yes, both is true. Although I'm more concerned with the times it's a ponzi then I'm with the times it's legit.

nimda

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 06:20:22 PM

Then you're being misleading. Taking the waveform of the deadcat and of the alive cat is not 100% proof that it's dead this time, and all I'm concened with is if it's dead this time.
hazek (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 06:21:40 PM

Then you're being misleading. Taking the waveform of the deadcat and of the alive cat is not 100% proof that it's dead this time, and all I'm concened with is if it's dead this time.

Where did I say "this time"?

hazek (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 06:24:11 PM

Again the nature of his business is in a super position of being both legit and a ponzi. Therefor until we find out it is a ponzi as well as legit - and that's my proof.

I think the disconnect is that you are telling me it's neither but I'm telling you it's both.

N12
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 06:29:09 PM

So because I am not sure if you are male or female, you are both? Grin It's simply "unknown". We do not need proof, it is impossible to prove a ponzi until it collapses.

All we need is evidence, and we have plenty to tilt it in favor of ponzi.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 07:11:52 PM

Horrible analogy.  Schrodinger's cat is guaranteed to be dead at some point due to the setup of the thought experiment.  Pirate's operation has no such guarantee of being a ponzi.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 07:29:04 PM

I don't understand where is the 100% proof?
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 07:30:20 PM

Floating around in the aether somewhere... possibly 100% proof AND 100% lie, given Schrodinger's cat!

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2012, 07:33:23 PM

Floating around in the aether somewhere... possibly 100% proof AND 100% lie, given Schrodinger's cat!

Mix in the microwave with a little bit of occam.

EIEIO:

kneim
Legendary

Activity: 1666

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 07:57:31 PM

As I understood Ponzi is a very instable system coming to an end rather soon, like fiat money but much faster. As all of us knows, money relocates from loosers to winners. And the first ones will win, the last ones will loose.

I'm somewhat stupid in mathematics, and cannot prove it a ponzi. But what about 3300% increase a year? Can somebody explain me?

Bangsters are better guys, I think. I not even want me seen on his customer's/lender's list.

unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 08:00:29 PM

Hey,

How about a massive withdrawal day. It's a sure way to now if it's ponzy or not.

Come on guys, if you invested in pirate, then you "know" it's not  ponzy. So what the big deal: let's all withdraw our money, then, when we all have our coins and so the proof that pirate is legit, let's invest again?

Endless discussion are getting us nowhere. Let stess test pirate's, it's the only way to know.
imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2012, 08:01:20 PM

Hey,

How about a massive withdrawal day. It's a sure way to now if it's ponzy or not.

Come on guys, if you invested in pirate, then you "know" it's not  ponzy. So what the big deal: let's all withdraw our money, then, when we all have our coins and so the proof that pirate is legit, let's invest again?

Endless discussion are getting us nowhere. Let stess test pirate's, it's the only way to know.

LOL.  Try doing that with any of the 'banks' in the lending forums.  They're all fractional reserve and would buckle under a mass withdrawal.

EIEIO:

Valalvax

Activity: 437

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 08:06:36 PM

Hey,

LOL.  Try doing that with any of the 'banks' in the lending forums.  They're all fractional reserve and would buckle under a mass withdrawal.

Try doing that with any bank ever.... same exact result will happen
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 08:08:23 PM

Actually, I wonder if Pirate could pay out all balances of his own accord simultaneously, and request that they all be paid back in as soon as possible so that the operation isn't affected too much.

imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2012, 08:08:26 PM

Hey,

Exactly.  If they are keeping everything in their vault, it isn't making them money which means they can't pay you unless they are a ponzi.  Your test could prove the exact opposite of what you think it will.

EIEIO:

Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 08:09:14 PM

Any suggestions how I can edit it to make it clearer?

As someone already told you, leave the quantum mechanics alone.

There is no certainty, or 100% proof, either way... that's why the term "uncertainty principle" is used
when talking about stuff happening at the quantum level...  and this issue is 'not' about stuff happening
at the quantum level.  

edit/ Things are uncertain in this case not because of the nature of the realm in which we are dealing...
but simply because of lack of data, at this particular moment. It is not out of the question that later
sufficient evidence may be found.   

unclescrooge
aka Raphy

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 08:09:46 PM

Hey,

In the end they should be able to reimburse everyone (if they're legit...)
unclescrooge
aka Raphy

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 08:11:26 PM

Hey,

Exactly.  If they are keeping everything in their vault, it isn't making them money which means they can't pay you unless they are a ponzi.  Your test could prove the exact opposite of what you think it will.

No, if he can give back everyone deposit + profit, that mean he did make the profit (even if it takes a few days to withdraw)
Valalvax

Activity: 437

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 08:15:32 PM

Hey,

Come on guys, if you invested in pirate, then you "know" it's not  ponzy. So what the big deal: let's all withdraw our money, then, when we all have our coins and so the proof that pirate is legit, let's invest again?

LOL.  Try doing that with any of the 'banks' in the lending forums.  They're all fractional reserve and would buckle under a mass withdrawal.

How? If everyone withdraws from the bank then everyone with an auto loan/mortgage is suddenly going to pay in full so that they can give everyone their money? The world doesn't work like that...

*edit* scratch that, thought that quote went one level deeper (to my post)
unclescrooge
aka Raphy

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 08:49:35 PM

Hey,

Come on guys, if you invested in pirate, then you "know" it's not  ponzy. So what the big deal: let's all withdraw our money, then, when we all have our coins and so the proof that pirate is legit, let's invest again?

LOL.  Try doing that with any of the 'banks' in the lending forums.  They're all fractional reserve and would buckle under a mass withdrawal.

How? If everyone withdraws from the bank then everyone with an auto loan/mortgage is suddenly going to pay in full so that they can give everyone their money? The world doesn't work like that...

*edit* scratch that, thought that quote went one level deeper (to my post)

I'm not talking about banks (which are part of the big ponzis that fiat currencies are), just about pirate's business
uuidman

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 10:22:04 PM

I dont get this, I think Ive read that all big accounts have one non-changeable address for deposit. All btc must work, he cant afford them to rest. There must be proof of that somewhere and movements ever week. Uhh, maybe Im tired.
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2012, 10:35:22 PM
Last edit: July 06, 2012, 12:08:01 AM by Transisto

This is how I read your post.
Serious ...appear as trolling ....

... resembles as HYIP ponzi scheme ... no actual credible evidence that would either confirm or deny ... some circumstantial evidence ... tip the scale slightly ...  
So all of this depend on high boson quantum properties ? ,,, very interesting / Following.

Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2012, 10:49:06 PM

Agreed +1

+1  this highlights a good point.   Do you own DUE DILIGENCE.  People can't always hold your hand or tell you what to think or do.   Regardless of the outcome, we will hopefully all learn something and I am hoping that people will learn to do research, use their brain to critically analysis what is presented to them, make a decision and learn from the success or failure.   

It is obvious that people have made their decisions and we will just have to wait and see what happens.    Personally I have just read the different posts to feel out the general feelings.   His operation pre-dates me on this forum so I have no real perspective or opinion other that the general advice given above that I would tell any off you if you asked me a similar question on the street.

Hope it helps,
Dalkore

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2012, 09:05:48 AM

If I want to gamble I go to the horse races. At least I can see if the horse is sweating up.

Hecate

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 07, 2012, 03:17:34 PM

Following is a path of thought and the questions that arise with it. I am prone to error and if someone sees what i do not, please tell.

The rates he gives are just from a different planet, a first reaction to "7%... weekly..." should always be "hahaha ya right". Since it is seemingly necessary to refresh some people's memory, following is what it looks like within one year, estimating a start budget of 50 000BTC (very low for the size of this operation) and a result for 80 weeks, taken because this has and supposedly will be running for a total time of over a year. Of course there are already signs that these rates will go down, this is just a display of magnitude of the growth we are talking about here:
http://i50.tinypic.com/2igm6wh.png       for 80 weeks:http://i49.tinypic.com/14nivyo.png

Please note that from what i heard he intends to pay this back in BTC. What reason could there be to need money so drastically, that these interest rates are justified? If a bank charged ~3373% annually for a loan, people would assume it is a joke. Also remember that lowering interest rate in the future has nothing to do with validity of the current szenario - as long as the overhead of moving the BTC is negligible, the only relevant value is total interest per time. The shorter the time of the loan, the lower the total interest paid for it. As a side information, even 2% weekly would still amount to ~280% annually, which is still far from anything you would usually see.

If someone accepts this offer, he or she should at some point have gotten some questions and answered them to themselves in one or another way:
  • Even 1% weekly would be far higher than any usual offer, why pay more?
  • If there is a reason to pay more, it must involve some kind of risk for the investor. What is that risk?
  • Why not ask a bigger investor instead of having the trouble with so many people? There are several people holding a lot of BTC and for 7% weekly without risk others would buy the required BTC from Mt.Gox immediately. Note that even if you double the price by instantly buying, after just ten weeks it will have paid itself off again, neglecting that you will not buy all coins at the peak of double the current price and that it is likely you can resell for a bit more than the current price after doubling it. (at time of post: Buy 100000 BTC for 842601.21 USD, ~8.43$/BTC average, taken from http://bitcoincharts.com/markets/mtgoxUSD_depth.html - then just wait until the order book refills if you want more, this is still not at double the price and surely not the best strategy to buy)

How does one answer those questions? I have seen people suggest that "large players" want to get BTC without moving the price. Then how do they pay back in BTC, and with those ridiculous rates on top? Also as suggested in the third question, it is simple to get large amounts by just buying them - in a much cheaper way than paying 7%. Where is the risk? Surely, if the risk involved is small, people will almost throw their money at you for those rates. Risk always means there is a chance of losing money instead of gaining. At this level, it should be very likely to lose everything, as otherwise even lower rates would be justified.

At some point, one wonders about the option that it is a scam. I have seen much arguing about Occam's Razor here and this is exactly where it fits in: trying to answer the questions above, no easy solution does the job. In fact, even absurd ones have failed so far (for example "large players" wanting to buy a lot of BTC) and the entire thing grows more and more suspicious. Now one is searching for an explanation how a scam would work, and is so far not convinced by anything, but just weighing all the options. Some people get paid back, why would a scammer do this? So surely it must be valid? But now one szenario almost jumps at you: a Ponzi Scheme. There are:
  • Ridiculously high interest rates
  • Forced withdrawals
  • Noone (yet) has anything to hold pirateat40 by, no name, no address. Even if one had, with BTC he can just leave the country and never be seen again in case there are no securities for any of the money
  • Appearance of a shadow team which noone has seen so far
  • No explanation where the interest comes from or about the operation in general
and the list continues, just walk around on the forum and open your eyes.

Surely there cannot be any proof. There is always the chance that there is some explanation to all of this, some extremely non-standard, complex solution. However, if you meet someone on the street and he tells you not only some fake story, but that "there is a reason to explain this, now give me your money and wait here, i will come back in a week and give it back and even more!", will you really take out your wallet?
dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
July 07, 2012, 07:50:11 PM

• Noone (yet) has anything to hold pirateat40 by, no name, no address. Even if one had, with BTC he can just leave the country and never be seen again in case there are no securities for any of the money

Pirate's name is public, a basic google search will give you the name of his licensed business and its registered address.
hongus

Activity: 736
Merit: 100

Adoption Blockchain e-Commerce to World

View Profile
July 07, 2012, 07:55:47 PM

Even if it is a ponzi, the plan is to make all the money before he dissapears Tongue

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
July 07, 2012, 08:01:32 PM

Let me do it for you...
http://www.corporationwiki.com/Unknown/Unknown/gpumax-technologies-llc/101278778.aspx

I'm pretty sure it's a fake name
Updated 6/23/2012 - This profile of Gpumax Technologies, LLC was created using data from Texas Secretary of State
dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
July 07, 2012, 08:06:31 PM

Let me do it for you...
http://www.corporationwiki.com/Unknown/Unknown/gpumax-technologies-llc/101278778.aspx

Updated 6/23/2012 - This profile of Gpumax Technologies, LLC was created using data from Texas Secretary of State

Interesting.  Not the company I was referencing though.
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
July 07, 2012, 08:18:26 PM

Why?

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
July 07, 2012, 08:25:30 PM

Why?

Sarcasm Tongue
Why do you think I inserted the quote about the data being taken from the Texas Secretary of State?
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
July 07, 2012, 08:27:14 PM

Why?

Sarcasm Tongue
Why do you think I inserted the quote about the data being taken from the Texas Secretary of State?
Damn internets. I want to meet all of you guys in a huge stadium somewhere, that would fix the issues with sarcasm once and for all! Imagine all the noise and shouting lol.

Hecate

View Profile
July 07, 2012, 10:27:39 PM

Thanks for pointing out that he said a name and seemingly valid, registered LLC. Still, i assumed that considering there are many people in favor of BS&T someone would address other points than fixating on me not knowing that he did. It is an interesting side thing though, I might take the time and check whether he really is that person.

Even if it is a ponzi, the plan is to make all the money before he dissapears Tongue
Taken you hit the precise point to withdraw before he runs away with all your money.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
July 07, 2012, 10:38:22 PM

Thanks for pointing out that he said a name and seemingly valid, registered LLC. Still, i assumed that considering there are many people in favor of BS&T someone would address other points than fixating on me not knowing that he did. It is an interesting side thing though, I might take the time and check whether he really is that person.

Why would you do that?
Do you have any money invested on any of his projects?
What's your interest?
bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
July 07, 2012, 11:04:04 PM

Even if one had, with BTC he can just leave the country and never be seen again in case there are no securities for any of the money

Well at least SOMEONE gets it.

If you buy anything with BTC you can be screwed hard because it is not reversible.

Also, since BTC is not legally property but in the same legal region as WOW Gold, nobody can do a damn thing if 1 million of it is stolen by some Texan dood.
imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2012, 11:45:08 PM

Even if one had, with BTC he can just leave the country and never be seen again in case there are no securities for any of the money

Well at least SOMEONE gets it.

If you buy anything with BTC you can be screwed hard because it is not reversible.

Also, since BTC is not legally property but in the same legal region as WOW Gold, nobody can do a damn thing if 1 million of it is stolen by some Texan dood.

Here we are again, going in circles.  This just isn't true.

EIEIO:

Hecate

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 12:28:21 AM

@imsaguy: Could you show me my mistake, for example a normal and plausible explanation for the 7% weekly interest rate?

@psy: Curiosity. If he was really running a ponzi, it would be awkward to tell his identity. Escaping to another country is surely still possible, but involves a lot of trouble. It would make me have to think again why he would do that.
Vladimir

Activity: 812

-

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 12:36:28 AM
Last edit: July 08, 2012, 01:20:08 AM by Vladimir

The logic is undeniable.

1. An operation can be either a ponzi or not a ponzi.
2. It cannot be a not ponzi.
3. Therefore, it is a ponzi.

I hope there is no one around here who would argue assertion 1.
I also hope that there is no one around here who would argue (conditionally on 2 being true) assertion 3.

At the same time it is painfully obvious that assertion 2 is true to anyone with a modicum of common sense and/or any decent education and/or practical experience in trading and financials.

Of course, exactly that assertion 2 is usually strongly contested by ponzi funboys (MOST of whom have financial incentive to promote the ponzi) and as such their ability to see past dollar signs is highly suspect.

Now if you believe that an operation which  needs to continually borrow at >3000% APR and conforms to most if not all of the classic signs of a pre default poinzi is not a ponzi, I pity you.

If you publicly claim or imply that an operation which needs to continually borrow at >3000% APR and conforms to most if not all of the classic signs of a pre default poinzi is not a ponzi, I despise you.

Edit: BTW, hazek, a good one on schrodinger's cat.  Wink And I known that my argument contradicts yours. Damn quantum physics is so illogical. But note that inevitable ponzi's default does not turn a non ponzi to a ponzi. Right now, where we know the secret for sure or not,  there cannot exists both underlying economic activity producing >3000% ROI and underlying economic activity producing way less than 3000% ROI. A ponzi is a ponzi is a ponzi, unlike photon is wave is a particle.

-
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 12:41:52 AM

The logic is undeniable.

1. It can be either ponzi or not ponzi.
2. It cannot be a not ponzi.
3. Therefore, it is ponzi.

I hope there is no one around here who would argue assertion 1.
I also hope that there is no one around here should would argue (conditionally on 2 being true) assertion 3.

At the same time it is painfully obvious to anyone with a brain and/or any decent education and/or practical experience in trading and financials that assertion 2 is true.

Of course, exactly that assertion 2 is usually strongly contested by ponzi funboys (MOST of whom have financial incentive to promote the ponzi) and as such their ability to see past dollar signs is highly suspect.

Now if you believe that an operation which  needs to continually borrow at >3000% APR and conforms to most if not all of the classic signs of a pre default poinzi is not a ponzi, I pity you.

If you publicly claim or imply that an operation which needs to continually borrow at >3000% APR and conforms to most if not all of the classic signs of a pre default poinzi is not a ponzi, I despise you.

If you lost less time spewing shit about things on which you clearly have no vested interest in maybe you would release your monthly magazine once a month.
I bet those subscribers are already waiting for the June and July issues. Oh, wait... It's a fucking ponzizine and it already went bust after the first month!
Vladimir

-

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 12:43:06 AM
Last edit: July 08, 2012, 01:08:44 AM by Vladimir

The logic is undeniable.

If you lost less time spewing shit about things on which you clearly have no vested interest in maybe you would release your monthly magazine once a month.
I bet those subscribers are already waiting for the June and July issues. Oh, wait... It's a fucking ponzizine and it already got busted after the first month!

The logic is undeniable

Trying to deflect are we?

My post was intentionally constructed so that THE ONLY VALID WAY TO ARGUE IT is to argue the assertion 2

Yours, psy, futile attempt to argue it by bringing up some irrelevant nonsense (a logical fallacy) is telling more than you think it is.

-
imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2012, 12:45:51 AM

@imsaguy: Could you show me my mistake, for example a normal and plausible explanation for the 7% weekly interest rate?

@psy: Curiosity. If he was really running a ponzi, it would be awkward to tell his identity. Escaping to another country is surely still possible, but involves a lot of trouble. It would make me have to think again why he would do that.

Review my posts.  I've already made a rather long explanation on how its possible but basically it was rejected because of Occam's razor.  Essentially, it was denied because there was an easier explanation.  People invoking that principle fail to realize what Occam was really going for but I didn't feel compelled to waste my time explaining it.

EIEIO:

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 01:19:12 AM

The logic is undeniable.

I bet those subscribers are already waiting for the June and July issues. Oh, wait... It's a fucking ponzizine and it already got busted after the first month!

The logic is undeniable

My post was intentionally constructed so that THE ONLY VALID WAY TO ARGUE IT is to argue the assertion 2

Yours, psy, futile attempt to argue it by bringing up some irrelevant nonsense (a logical fallacy) is telling more than you think it is.

Pirate never failed with what he promised to the ones who trust(ed) him. You and your team, on the other hand...
That tells me everything I need to know.
Vladimir

-

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 01:22:04 AM
Last edit: July 08, 2012, 10:43:29 AM by Vladimir

The logic is undeniable.

The logic is undeniable

Pirate never failed with what he promised to the ones who trust(ed) him. You and your team, on the other hand...
That tells me everything I need to know.

It tells me everything I need to know too. Some produce a product and create value, a process which is subject to uncertainty, other don't.

Just note how your naive argument is actually making my assertion 3 (it is a ponzi) stronger, by effectively supporting assertion 2.

Your post also tells a lot about some typical characteristics of FANBOYS.

-
imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2012, 02:06:53 AM

FUNBOYS

Close, but no cigar.  The term is "Fanboys".

EIEIO:

myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2012, 02:23:34 AM

Here's what I got from this thread:

Schrodinger's cat is in the black box, and you don't know whether it's alive or dead until you open it.

Your BTC is in Pirate's black box, and you don't know whether it's a Ponzi or not until it finishes.

Smart pet owner does not put cat in black box. Neither does smart investor put money in black box.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 02:49:31 AM

Vladimir, why are you upset over this?
imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2012, 02:51:41 AM

Schrodinger's cat is in the black box, and you don't know whether it's alive or dead until you open it.

Your BTC is in Pirate's black box, and you don't know whether it's a Ponzi or not until it finishes.

Smart pet owner does not put cat in black box. Neither does smart investor put money in black box.

You invest in a company, say Enron.  Do you really know what they are doing with your money? You're going on what their reports say and what the auditors say.  Come to find out, you're wrong.  Guess you shouldn't invest in stocks. 

You invest in gold, but you don't know if its going up or down.  Sure there's only a finite known supply, but you never know when people might start dumping or a new undiscovered vein is found.   Guess you shouldn't invest in precious metals.

EIEIO:

myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2012, 03:32:57 AM

You invest in a company, say Enron.  Do you really know what they are doing with your money? You're going on what their reports say and what the auditors say.  Come to find out, you're wrong.  Guess you shouldn't invest in stocks. 

You invest in gold, but you don't know if its going up or down.  Sure there's only a finite known supply, but you never know when people might start dumping or a new undiscovered vein is found.   Guess you shouldn't invest in precious metals.

Fair point. You never really know what someone is doing with your money, unless that someone is you. But Pirate's Big Black Box Of Money-making(r) doesn't even give you the courtesy of telling you anything. At least Enron's investors got the benefit of a nice show for their money. You guys get to look at a big black box. I'm not saying it is a ponzi, I'm not saying it isn't. What I am saying is that for my money, A box I can see into (even if that box might just have a pretty picture painted on the inside) is safer. You guys do what you want. I'm not touching it.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Hunterbunter

Activity: 994

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 04:01:02 AM

Right now, where we know the secret for sure or not,  there cannot exists both underlying economic activity producing >3000% ROI and underlying economic activity producing way less than 3000% ROI. A ponzi is a ponzi is a ponzi, unlike photon is wave is a particle.

I believe the amount that pirate claims he earns is actually 10% per week, but that 3% is cashed out (or some such), which is why he doesn't need to reinvest his own principle.

While it doesn't quite make the total ROI 14,000%, it does make it more than 3300%.
imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2012, 04:04:24 AM

Fair point. You never really know what someone is doing with your money, unless that someone is you. But Pirate's Big Black Box Of Money-making(r) doesn't even give you the courtesy of telling you anything. At least Enron's investors got the benefit of a nice show for their money. You guys get to look at a big black box. I'm not saying it is a ponzi, I'm not saying it isn't. What I am saying is that for my money, A box I can see into (even if that box might just have a pretty picture painted on the inside) is safer. You guys do what you want. I'm not touching it.

So you're saying you'd feel better if Pirate told you some story rather than tell you nothing at all?  "Lie to me, don't just say nothing"   Roll Eyes

EIEIO:

imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2012, 04:05:31 AM

imsaguy wants 1.5%/day on his loans.

huh?

EIEIO:

myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2012, 04:16:05 AM

So you're saying you'd feel better if Pirate told you some story rather than tell you nothing at all?  "Lie to me, don't just say nothing"   Roll Eyes

Well, you put it that way, it sounds silly, but yes, essentially. At least go through the motions of making a believable mechanism that spits out the cash. Of course, that opens up the mechanism to being scrutinized, and it would take a clever Mechanical Turk indeed to fool everyone. Thus why a black box arouses more suspicion than one I can see into.

imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2012, 04:36:44 AM

Well, you put it that way, it sounds silly, but yes, essentially. At least go through the motions of making a believable mechanism that spits out the cash. Of course, that opens up the mechanism to being scrutinized, and it would take a clever Mechanical Turk indeed to fool everyone. Thus why a black box arouses more suspicion than one I can see into.

Perhaps he's opted for black box, because everything that does get released/discovered is analyzed to the Nth degree and even when there's a perfectly legit/legal reason, people seem to cling to the more nefarious.

EIEIO:

myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2012, 04:43:09 AM

Perhaps he's opted for black box, because everything that does get released/discovered is analyzed to the Nth degree and even when there's a perfectly legit/legal reason, people seem to cling to the more nefarious.

Well, that backfired, didn't it?

imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2012, 04:45:01 AM

Not really.  One way or the other, people would bitch.  He opted to not waste the effort.

EIEIO:

payb.tc

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 04:45:44 AM

didn't read the whole thread but even if it were 100% proven...

proven ponzi != everyone will lose their money

i like how psy called the OP 'logicman' Cheesy
Hunterbunter

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 04:48:11 AM

I agree that while on the surface more information allows the truth of a lie to become more apparent, human psychology still works against it. Pirate has told many stories already, and that's what very few people are scrutinizing. They're wonderful stories, though, which make people feel good to believe. Most people don't realize just how much control their emotions have on their decision making.

It will possibly help those people who are smart (or emotionless) enough to even bother scrutinizing, but the vast majority of people who, for example, still take the bible literally or the existence of Gods seriously, it's more important to be part of the story than it is being right. Our brains are wired this way, perhaps because there is safety in numbers.

The people who would scrutinize the information / story given, are the same people that wouldn't invest in a black box now due to the insane unpredictability / gamble of it. Do you invest with pirate now? Would you invest more with more information? Are you looking for justification to invest because you want to believe it's possible to earn this much?
myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2012, 04:59:03 AM

Not really.  One way or the other, people would bitch.  He opted to not waste the effort.

The question is, did he not waste the effort of reporting, or not waste the effort of concocting a story? Wink

Either way, I don't have a dog in the race, nor, for that matter, a dog to put in the race. If I did, though, I wouldn't stick him in a black box. Call me cautious, call me what you will, but I like to at least have some idea of what is going on inside the box.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2012, 05:08:56 AM

Are you looking for justification to invest because you want to believe it's possible to earn this much?

I'd like to know how it's possible to get this much out. If the numbers posted earlier are correct (which I'm not saying they are), over half of all bitcoins ever will be eventually involved in this thing, which is most, if not all, of them in existence now.

Basically, exponential growth is always suspect, and being told "Don't worry about how I do it, just sit back and enjoy the cashflow" makes me wonder a little more.

imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2012, 05:31:33 AM

I'd like to know how it's possible to get this much out. If the numbers posted earlier are correct (which I'm not saying they are), over half of all bitcoins ever will be eventually involved in this thing, which is most, if not all, of them in existence now.

Basically, exponential growth is always suspect, and being told "Don't worry about how I do it, just sit back and enjoy the cashflow" makes me wonder a little more.

There you go again.  As people keep reinvesting coins, the price will go up as pirate has to continually source coins to pay interest.  As price goes up, people will naturally be inclined to withdraw and sell.  At some point, there will be an equilibrium.  That or pirate won't make anymore money because the price of bitcoins is so darned high and he returns everyone's coins.

As to actually making 7% a week, there have been several ways mentioned in the past by different people and they were all ignored.  "That's not what pirate's doing, pirate said he was doing something else".  Well if 2 or 3 different ways earning 7% a week were revealed, surely there are more.  Its no longer an impossibility.  It isn't pirate's job to teach you ways to find high margin businesses.

EIEIO:

myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2012, 05:41:46 AM

There you go again.  As people keep reinvesting coins, the price will go up as pirate has to continually source coins to pay interest.  As price goes up, people will naturally be inclined to withdraw and sell.  At some point, there will be an equilibrium.  That or pirate won't make anymore money because the price of bitcoins is so darned high and he returns everyone's coins.

I hope this is exactly what happens. I hope everyone comes out of this squeaky clean and ten times richer. I hope Pirate's not running a Ponzi. Of course what I hope will happen does not always coincide with what will happen. We shall see.

drakahn

Activity: 504

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 05:57:25 AM

Are you looking for justification to invest because you want to believe it's possible to earn this much?

It isn't, either the interest rates will drop, accounts will be limited/forced withdraw, the program ends or people stop reinvesting

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
Hunterbunter

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 06:44:38 AM

Yeah assuming it's all legitimate, the ability to source coins for interest in a capped market will crush the rate of interest he will be able to pay. That's fine, and if its based on actual profits, the lenders will benefit reducing amounts based on the actual flow of coins through the economy. Exponential growth is only a problem if people expect it to continue, but he's said he'll reduce it as necessary to cover his ability to make profit, etc, and soon it will be reduced to 3.8% or w/e. That could either be due to it be more difficult to source coins to expand the ponzi, a lower ability to cover loans based on existing speculated funds, or a fixed USD payment amount being spread to more coins.

If it's all one great big story though, it won't matter whether you can see through the glass box or not, if the information you're getting about the box is going through pirate first. You need an independent source of information for it to be useful.

There are too many things that just don't add up about the whole operation, imo, so that's why I got out.
Vladimir

-

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 10:45:57 AM

Vladimir, why are you upset over this?

Not upset, but disgusted.

-
Hecate

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 01:15:37 PM

Review my posts.  I've already made a rather long explanation on how its possible but basically it was rejected because of Occam's razor.  Essentially, it was denied because there was an easier explanation.  People invoking that principle fail to realize what Occam was really going for but I didn't feel compelled to waste my time explaining it.

I have shortly looked at the first ten pages of your last posts and didnt find anything. Iirc there was something about "large players wanting to buy big amounts (of bitcoin)" once but i already discussed that in my first reply here. So please link me to the second or third method or show me why my refusal of the "large players wanting to buy big amounts" is wrong.
imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2012, 04:48:14 PM

I have shortly looked at the first ten pages of your last posts and didnt find anything. Iirc there was something about "large players wanting to buy big amounts (of bitcoin)" once but i already discussed that in my first reply here. So please link me to the second or third method or show me why my refusal of the "large players wanting to buy big amounts" is wrong.

Nah, I'm done.  Its become clear that you're willing to waste an inordinate amount of your time to attempt to prove your opinion and lacking at it.  I have much better uses of my time.  I didn't claim to have written all of the reasons, people like PH and others have also given reasons and those were also ignored.

EIEIO:

imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2012, 05:56:23 PM

EIEIO:

mp420

Activity: 501

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 09:49:45 AM

Pirate never failed with what he promised to the ones who trust(ed) him.

This is EXACTLY how you're supposed to run a ponzi scheme. You keep your promises until the total of the actual borrowed funds ceases to grow. How can you not see this?

It might even be that when he finally defaults, he doesn't disappear but blames it on someone hacking into his system and stealing all the coins. So, the true believers will continue to believe he's legit, even if he "lost" their money.
Vladimir

-

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 10:17:54 AM

Pirate never failed with what he promised to the ones who trust(ed) him.

This is EXACTLY how you're supposed to run a ponzi scheme. You keep your promises until the total of the actual borrowed funds ceases to grow. How can you not see this?

It might even be that when he finally defaults, he doesn't disappear but blames it on someone hacking into his system and stealing all the coins. So, the true believers will continue to believe he's legit, even if he "lost" their money.

This is indeed seems to be THE biz model for many Bitcoin businesses these days:
- Start some service that involves people sending you lots of BTC for "safekeeping" or under some other pretense;
- Be an upstanding gentleman;
- Keep all your promises;
- Have someone like Bruce Wagner promoting you;
- Once you have enough BTC in your wallet, get hacked or manufacture some other calamity;
- Optionally, pay some of it back;
- Profit.

How disgusting.

Here, I have another wild theory/speculation. Pirate40 = Bruce Wagner. LOL

-
Rygon

Activity: 520

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 04:52:42 PM

It's simply not possible to prove it isn't a ponzi, any sane person would ignore the accusations at this point. And since no one can prove he IS running a ponzi, everything is just wild speculation.
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 05:03:48 PM

Interesting - when BFL was still vaporware around January, it was Bittenbob that was absolutely and rabidly trashing them without the slightest reserve, and was proven wrong and went away.
Now it's Vladimir doing the same sort of thing to Pirateat40 with all the conviction of an informed person, and none of the proof.

It seems like the upper cabal of Bitcoiners consists of some of the most vocal and bloodthirsty, and by "upper cabal", I mean Magazine staff, developers of other vaporware like Ellet, and numerous other projects and things that like to be pre-announced for some reason without a product in hand. I hardly know what to make of it, but it's disturbing.

imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2012, 05:28:00 PM

Interesting - when BFL was still vaporware around January, it was Bittenbob that was absolutely and rabidly trashing them without the slightest reserve, and was proven wrong and went away.
Now it's Vladimir doing the same sort of thing to Pirateat40 with all the conviction of an informed person, and none of the proof.

It seems like the upper cabal of Bitcoiners consists of some of the most vocal and bloodthirsty, and by "upper cabal", I mean Magazine staff, developers of other vaporware like Ellet, and numerous other projects and things that like to be pre-announced for some reason without a product in hand. I hardly know what to make of it, but it's disturbing.

Money, status, and nerds.  Competitive undersocialization is a bastard, especially in a perceived zero-sum environment.

Pretend it's Lord of the Flies and you'll realize anarchy and decentralization last for a short while, until organizations eventually coalesce, not necessarily among the most sane, capable, or reasonable foci, but the ones that provide a "security" of some type.

Crazy-ass shut-ins are clawing at each other with no dignity, forming "alliances" based on their desire to bring down an alpha.

In case you were wondering, I'm Liam Neeson in The Grey.  With a much bigger tonker.  Come with me if you want to die.

Its funny you mention this, because I liken this all to Monty Python.  I'm calling dibbs on the grenade right now and I get to be the rabbit.

EIEIO:

myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2012, 05:33:13 PM

Money, status, and nerds.  Competitive undersocialization is a bastard, especially in a perceived zero-sum environment.

"Money, Status, and Nerds" is the name of my new Devo cover group.

Vladimir

-

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 06:03:14 PM

"Upper Cabal", lol. I do like this. Note that we have our bases of operation in or near Seoul, London and New-York, this strongly indicates  that The Council of Venice must be involved.
 Wink

-
Shadow383

Activity: 336

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 02:29:36 PM

Right now, where we know the secret for sure or not,  there cannot exists both underlying economic activity producing >3000% ROI and underlying economic activity producing way less than 3000% ROI. A ponzi is a ponzi is a ponzi, unlike photon is wave is a particle.

I believe the amount that pirate claims he earns is actually 10% per week, but that 3% is cashed out (or some such), which is why he doesn't need to reinvest his own principle.

While it doesn't quite make the total ROI 14,000%, it does make it more than 3300%.
This makes it yet more ludicrous.

If you are genuinely making 10% per week, what sort of drooling retard wouldn't reinvest their own capital?
Once again, it makes absolutely no sense if you're running a legit business. But it's perfect if you're running a ponzi.

As long as nobody is losing their shirt over this, fine, but I bet someone will...

It's a pretty good scheme though - Buy coin in vast quantities, use it to pay for hashing at large public pools, directing payouts to yourself for nice clean coins, then when you dump the whole thing you've got the clean coins and your "investors" are left with nothing.

So, if anyone here has big money with pirate - what would you do if he disappeared tomorrow?
ErebusBat

Activity: 560

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 02:55:53 PM

So, if anyone here has big money with pirate - what would you do if he disappeared tomorrow?
Be pissed for a day... then move on.

Nobody that has money with pirate is under the delusion that it is risk free, far from it.  But high risk=high reward.  I certainly don't want to see my coins disappear, but if they do I will still eat, still pay my bills, and still goto the movies.  But if they do not disappear.... I will still do ALL of that, just more of it Wink

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
guruvan

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 04:19:09 PM

I find it amusing that people have zero real concept of what pirate does. he says it's so simple you'll all kick yourself for not doing it yourselves. I think he's right.

I find it amusing that people find it hard to imagine how a growth curve like bitcoin's can provide such significant returns. Obviously none have seen the ROI venture capitalists receive on their startup investments.

Pirate is running a HYIP, this is for sure. High yield usually comes with high risk. HYIP programs often are run as ponzi schemes, but certainly not always.

High risk, likely with highly leveraged trading can lead to significant drawdown if the trader makes poor decisions. This can collapse a non-ponzi HYIP.

But, really - why do people get so upset at other people risking their capital?

hazek (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 04:27:51 PM

I believe this thread was alive long enough and am locking it now.

The OP is a thought experiment not in any way shape or form an actual proof of anything and it meant to show that those who "invest" or defend the practices of pirateat40 will some of the time be doing so while BS&T actually being a ponzi scheme. I still for the life of me can't understand what kind of principles people live by that allow them that kind of mentality and behavior but oh well I have no doubt the market will eventually sort it all out.

A fool and his money are soon parted, and there's probably nothing little ol me can do about that.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: