Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:29:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Bitcoin fork proposal by respected Bitcoin lead dev Gavin Andresen, to increase the block size from 1MB to 20MB.
pro
anti
agnostic
DGAF

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... 125 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin 20MB Fork  (Read 154756 times)
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 1559

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2015, 11:07:21 PM

The limit increase permits a much healthier outcome for the Bitcoin network and ecosystem.

Today is the limit increase, what will be tomorrow? Are people really wanting to go all in and bet all the todays consensus on the hard-fork? If you read Gavin post about the need for hard-fork, its a totally fear-based move with arguments Bitcoin will be replaced by Altcoins, this means its a matter of time until another need for a hard-fork happen and next time it wont be as trivial need as just increase block-size. I predict next hard-fork will want to increase the number of coins.

So no arguments against, just anti-fork by the rule? If I'm not mistaken, bitcoin has already been forked twice (2013 and 2010?). Are you sure you're on the very first fork?

The last fork was needed the old chain had a really bad bug so bad that no one wanted to use it and it died. This time both chains would be functional.

Thanks.

Point is, since there were forks in the past (for whatever reason) no one can really use "anti-fork by principle" or "if it's forked - it's no longer Bitcoin" arguments. Unless you're on original (dead) fork, then yes you can.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Grinder
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 04, 2015, 11:09:58 PM

Gavin does not seem to understand the economics of the block fee. He says that it doesn't matter if there are room for many or few transactions, but in reality it's the equivalent of a Dutch auction. Nobody has to pay more than the lowest winning bid to enter the block, so nobody really has to pay as long as there is room for all the transactions. Even if there is a cost, the cut off price will most likely be less than 1/20 if there is room for 20x more transactions. Personally I never pay unless I'm in a hurry. Unfortunately this means that a 50% attack will become dirt cheap if the price of Bitcoins continues to go down, and/or the block reward has halved a few more times.

Regarding the previous forks they made the whole community scramble in panic to fix it and get everybody to use the same branch. I really don't understand how they can be used as proof that forks are ok.
Quantus
Legendary

Activity: 883
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 04, 2015, 11:14:26 PM

Gavin does not seem to understand the economics of the block fee. He says that it doesn't matter if there are room for many or few transactions, but in reality it's the equivalent of a Dutch auction. Nobody has to pay more than the lowest winning bid to enter the block, so nobody really has to pay as long as there is room for all the transactions. Even if there is a cost, the cut off price will most likely be less than 1/20 if there is room for 20x more transactions. Personally I never pay unless I'm in a hurry. Unfortunately this means that a 50% attack will become dirt cheap if the price of Bitcoins continues to go down, and/or the block reward has halved a few more times.

Regarding the previous forks they made the whole community scramble in panic to fix it and get everybody to use the same branch. I really don't understand how they can be used as proof that forks are ok.

Yeah Bitcoin was never ment to be 100% free

(I am a 1MB block supporter who thinks all users should be using Full-Node clients)
Avoid the XT shills, they only want to destroy bitcoin, their hubris and greed will destroy us.
Know your adversary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 1559

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2015, 11:14:39 PM

Just make sure to put my name in the list of people that didnt want to destroy BTC.

Done.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=946154

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
Quantus
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2015, 11:19:44 PM

The limit increase permits a much healthier outcome for the Bitcoin network and ecosystem.

Today is the limit increase, what will be tomorrow? Are people really wanting to go all in and bet all the todays consensus on the hard-fork? If you read Gavin post about the need for hard-fork, its a totally fear-based move with arguments Bitcoin will be replaced by Altcoins, this means its a matter of time until another need for a hard-fork happen and next time it wont be as trivial need as just increase block-size. I predict next hard-fork will want to increase the number of coins.

So no arguments against, just anti-fork by the rule? If I'm not mistaken, bitcoin has already been forked twice (2013 and 2010?). Are you sure you're on the very first fork?

The last fork was needed the old chain had a really bad bug so bad that no one wanted to use it and it died. This time both chains would be functional.

Thanks.

Point is, since there were forks in the past (for whatever reason) no one can really use "anti-fork by principle" or "if it's forked - it's no longer Bitcoin" arguments. Unless you're on original (dead) fork, then yes you can.

But you are wrong because no Fork in bitcoin history left two viable chains. All the other Forks killed off the other chain, this time both are functional.

(I am a 1MB block supporter who thinks all users should be using Full-Node clients)
Avoid the XT shills, they only want to destroy bitcoin, their hubris and greed will destroy us.
AgentofCoin
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
February 04, 2015, 11:38:05 PM

Thanks.

But you are wrong because no Fork in bitcoin history left two viable chains. All the other Forks killed off the other chain, this time both are functional.

If we fork, there will be ample notice and people will prepare for the move with updates and etc., prob with 3 months advance notice of a date.
Anyone who doesn't move to the new fork will be left behind.
There will not be two valid chains. Only one that is valid and one that was the old chain.
If your stupid enough to purposefully stay on the old chain after the fork, and continue to use it, you will ultimately lose everything.
If we fork, we all move.

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
Request a signed message if you are associating with anyone claiming to be me.
Quantus
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2015, 11:46:47 PM

Thanks.

If we fork, there will be ample notice and people will prepare for the move with updates and etc., prob with 3 months advance notice of a date.
There will not be two valid chains. Only one that is valid and one that was the old chain.
If your stupid enough to purposefully stay on the old chain after the fork, and continue to use it, you will ultimately lose everything.
If we fork, we all move.

But you are wrong I risk nothing by staying on the old chain its only those who fork that risk anything. I can send my coins to the new Giga-bloatcoin chain at any time. But those on the Bloated new chain can't move back to Bitcoin

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2015, 11:52:31 PM

Looks like people who have already been here and lived though the past 2 forks show signs of feeling more confident. I guess the only real argument that could be valid for 'ant-fork' supporters would be economics.              Aside from that I still didn't see anything relevant (I'm not gonna discuss this, because that's not my area of interest).

But you are wrong I risk nothing by staying on the old chain its only those who fork that risk anything. I can send my coins to the new Giga-bloatcoin chain at any time. But those on the Bloated new chain can't move back to Bitcoin
Stop using this term. It is wrong. As it was already stated multiple times in the thread, increasing the limit to 20 MB doesn't mean that the blocks will be full from day 1. The chain will grow bigger over time, not over night.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
AgentofCoin
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2015, 11:53:38 PM

Thanks.

If we fork, we all move.

If the whole Bitcoin ecosystem forks, who you gonna send old fork coins to?
I think when you move your coins to a non forked system, they are now lost.
Any new coins you get on the old fork will not be usable in the new fork. That would be a new ledger that isn't compatible.

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
February 04, 2015, 11:55:45 PM

But you are wrong I risk nothing by staying on the old chain its only those who fork that risk anything.
If the majority of the hash power switches away from the chain you are on, then that chain will stall as the difficulty is very high. It is certainly not risk free.

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2015, 11:58:31 PM

Any new coins you get on the old fork will not be usable in the new fork. That would be a new ledger that isn't compatible.

This understanding is wrong.
Let's classify the Bitcoin of today as chain A. If we fork we will have a Bitcoin B (new chain) and Bitcoin C (old chain - classified as A, when it was the only one). 2 different ledgers will be created from 1. Now when it comes to Bitcoin holdings:
If you had 5 Bitcoin on chain A, now you would have 5 on both chain B and chain C.
You don't send coins from chain B to chain C. That won't work.

But you are wrong I risk nothing by staying on the old chain its only those who fork that risk anything.
If the majority of the hash power switches away from the chain you are on, then that chain will stall as the difficulty is very high. It is certainly not risk free.
That's one of the dangers. Eventually it would stabilize and return to appropriate levels, although I don't think that chain would survive that long.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
AgentofCoin
Legendary

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 12:12:27 AM

This understanding is wrong.
Let's classify the Bitcoin of today as chain A. If we fork we will have a Bitcoin B (new chain) and Bitcoin C (old chain - classified as A, when it was the only one). 2 different ledgers will be created from 1. Now when it comes to Bitcoin holdings:
If you had 5 Bitcoin on chain A, now you would have 5 on both chain B and chain C.
You don't send coins from chain B to chain C. That won't work.

So what happens if you are on Chain A or C, and you send your BTC to an exchange that is only using Chain B?
Or you are on Chain B, and you send your BTC to an exchange that is only using Chain A or C?
Thats what I'm referring to. Doesn't the exchange not verify those coin and thus are lost?

RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 12:13:00 AM

Gavin perfectly understand the economics of the block fee. You do not seem to understand that a block size of 1MB hinders and blocks services from running on top of blockchain. I have already pointed out that project Lighthouse is having issue because of the 1MB block size limit. Nobody seems to talk about the subject and I don't understand why. Are you happy that the Lighthouse project is hindered? I'm definitely not!

Also what you don't seem to understand is that there will be services/project that will gladly pay for some fees for their transactions and maybe there will be people that will gladly pay a fee for having their transaction confirmed in the next block. Don't assume that if you don't do it then nobody else will do it. The current system limits a lot the development and the free access to anyone. Gavin is trying to open the gates for everyone to have access and you people want to keep them shut down and to only open them to the highest bidder.

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 12:35:13 AM

So what happens if you are on Chain A or C, and you send your BTC to an exchange that is only using Chain B?
Or you are on Chain B, and you send your BTC to an exchange that is only using Chain A or C?
Thats what I'm referring to. Doesn't the exchange not verify those coin and thus are lost?

From my understanding (I could be wrong) they get lost most of the time.
Case 1 (exchange using Chain B): if the exchange has generated a new address, that hasn't been generated on chain A, you will lose your money. The network doesn't know if the address is generated or not,however the funds can still be moved.
Case 1.1 (exchange using Chain B): if the exchange uses an address that was also generated by someone on chain A (not necessarily by the exchange itself), the owner of the address will receive them.
Case 2 (exchange using Chain A/C): the same happens as with Case 1 and 1.1, just switch the chains.

Gavin perfectly understand the economics of the block fee. You do not seem to understand that a block size of 1MB hinders and blocks services from running on top of blockchain. I have already pointed out that project Lighthouse is having issue because of the 1MB block size limit. Nobody seems to talk about the subject and I don't understand why. Are you happy that the Lighthouse project is hindered? I'm definitely not!

Also what you don't seem to understand is that there will be services/project that will gladly pay for some fees for their transactions and maybe there will be people that will gladly pay a fee for having their transaction confirmed in the next block. Don't assume that if you don't do it then nobody else will do it. The current system limits a lot the development and the free access to anyone. Gavin is trying to open the gates for everyone to have access and you people want to keep them shut down and to only open them to the highest bidder.
Finally something good.
Please provide a link to the project, I've missed out.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 12:40:15 AM

Finally something good.
Please provide a link to the project, I've missed out.

The problem with waiting too long however is that it will stunt decentralized projects like Lighthouse and open bazaar which are limited to 1MB. 

https://www.vinumeris.com/lighthouse/faq#max-pledges

684 to 1k (with further optimizations) max participants cannot compete with kickstarter or indiegogo and will make many fundraisers unusable in a decentralized fashion.

Quantus
Legendary

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 01:20:07 AM

I don't give a fuck about the "perfect app"  I just want my bitcoin the way it is now. We should push it till it breaks then pick up the peaces and then and only then fix what ever broke.

solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 01:34:13 AM
Last edit: February 05, 2015, 05:09:35 AM by solex

I don't give a fuck about the "perfect app"  I just want my bitcoin the way it is now. We should push it till it breaks then pick up the peaces and then and only then fix what ever broke.

FFS. I can't imagine the state of your car.

The owners of Bitcoin exchanges are not performing chimpanzees at a tea party. If a fork occurred and two chains were similar size then the CEOs of Bitcoin businesses would quickly agree (with Core dev and the mining pools) which chain to use (B) and which chain to ignore (C) , even if this meant suspending trading in the meantime.

This is why Gavin has consulted with many Bitcoin companies/players already, to find out what their view is. He reports that they support scalability by a big margin. Bitcoin businesses are going to want their business model to have the best chance of success, and that does not include crippling the tx throughput on the blockchain which will also cripple business models.

The rejected chain C will quickly find that the difficulty (40+ billion) is way too high for the devoted "anti" rump of miners clinging to it, and it will take several hours to mine each block. This will get worse as the coinbase rewards can't be sold for decent fiat at any significant exchange. Miners will drift to the majority chain. It will probably take 1 year for the difficulty to fall on chain C until it is usable. So chain C will need to be forked in order to slash the difficulty for the few users who still want the 1MB lmit.

zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 01:52:05 AM

The 1 MB cap is a redundant antispam filter and if it will not be removed Bitcoin will collapse under its own success in the next rally because it won't be able to handle the traffic.

amincd

Activity: 772
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 01:56:06 AM

When the 1 MB block limit was put in place, it was done so with the intention of eventually removing it as transaction volumes increased. It was an anti-spam filter, as the poster above notes.

It can be phased in, like:

if (blocknumber > 115000)
    maxblocksize = largerlimit

It can start being in versions way ahead, so by the time it reaches that block number and goes into effect, the older versions that don't have it are already obsolete.

When we're near the cutoff block number, I can put an alert to old versions to make sure they know they have to upgrade.

Even if some people don't look forward to a Bitcoin that has blocks larger than 1 MB, they should respect Bitcoin's original vision enough to not try to divide the community by opposing what was long planned.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 02:11:49 AM

Quote from: stan.distortion
network limitations

20MB block / 10 min = 2MB/min = 0.033MB/s, common even on very very basic household connections.

No, that's not true.  Not in the US, at least.  Even high-end connections have caps of less than 400 GB/mo.  2MB/min is 84 GB/mo, per connection.  That means your node gets four peers, maybe.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... 125 »
  Print  

Jump to: