Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:40:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I want my money back from SatoshiDICE?  (Read 7377 times)
ErebusBat

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 07:11:27 PM

Cry

But I can't find any contact infomation of SatoshiDICE

Send Erik Voorhees a PM, I believe he operates SatoshiDice.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=12149

Thank you.  I have sended  him a message when I made the mistake,but he didn't reply.I will pm him again.

To unclemantis:

I play the DICE before, I when I withdraw from Mtgox ,I copy my address and it didn't success, so I past the address of DICE which I copy before. That is it.
I made a similar mistake recently with SD... I intended to be 0.4 BTC and bet 4.0 BTC (Of 5.5 I had just bought)

Guess what?  It lost.

I didn't go whining to erik because it was my mistake, I was bummed the rest of the night.  But at least it wasn't a larger amount.  It has made me much more vigilant and double check everything.  The only stupid mistakes are the ones you don't learn from.

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 07:14:15 PM

Idea: A DB of addresses that pooled funds such as MtGox can contact so they don't send to them. Lottery and SD addresses come to mind.

I submitted a support ticket to Mt. Gox requesting this capability:

There is the repeating situation where people are withdrawing from a Mt. Gox to an address which is incompatible with a hosted (shared) wallet like how Mt. Gox customer accounts use.

SatoshiDICE is one of these.  The betting site returns winnings (and commissions in losses as well) for all wagers to the sender's bitcoin address.  There have been numerous reports of a party not knowing Mt. Gox accounts aren't compatible in this manner and using it anyway.

While Mt. Gox isn't unique in maintaining a hosted (shared) wallet for its customer accounts, it is the largest.    It might be good customer service to at a minimum maintain a blacklist of static bitcoin addresses where any BTC withdrawal requests from Mt.Gox are checked against this list.  If there is a match either the request is rejected or at a minimum the user is warned before proceeding.

There are multiple services like this ... SatoshiDICE, BTCDice, BitLotto, and a handful of others much smaller.

There might even be a way to automate this where any service that is incompatible with EWallets can submit a request to be blocked.  The request would be a standardized format and be submitted as a message using the message signing feature available in the Bitcoin.org client.  There would probably be two messages for this, one to add a block, anther to clear a block.  That's far down the road though. 

At present it is just a handful of addresses which would be best if they were excluded.

Would Mt. Gox take the proactive step and add some method to either block or warn the user when these withdrawal requests are made?

SatoshiDICE could add one restriction.  If the coin happened to be coming from a green address (such as those from Mt. Gox, Instawallet or wherever else they are offered) to return it without treating it as a wager.  That's would only solve a tiny fraction of these as most are not Green Address withdrawals, but it likely will happen a few times.
Better yet, MtGox can make themselves compatible with SatoshiDice by including a return address in the transactions (by using the feature that many gambling sites now support where you send exactly 0.00543210 to the address you want the funds to go back to) to any address starting with 1dice or that were registered with MtGox with your proposed method.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2012, 07:14:38 PM

I mean mistakes happen and I feel a little bad for you, but if you even glanced at what you were pasting you would see "1dice...".

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
ErebusBat

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 07:15:53 PM

Can you tell if the bet the OP placed won? Can you tell whether the address it was sent from is one of these send-only Gox addresses? If the bet didn't win and it really did come from a Gox address, you're out no BTC and you know he wasn't trying to scam you, right?
Can you imagine the precedent this will set if they returned a losing bet? 

In that case I think SD should return my 4 BTC bet as I was using a martingale and can prove so that it was a mistake I didn't double check my numbers.  (You can bet your ass if I had won on that bet I wouldn't have sent the balance to erik/SD as a donation).

dumb dumb dumb

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 07:22:55 PM

Can you tell if the bet the OP placed won? Can you tell whether the address it was sent from is one of these send-only Gox addresses? If the bet didn't win and it really did come from a Gox address, you're out no BTC and you know he wasn't trying to scam you, right?

If the BTC returned to the gox addresses really can't be recovered by anyone, it's something of a special case, isn't it?. But Evorhees says he can't return anything, so that's that.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
ErebusBat

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 07:56:21 PM

If the BTC returned to the gox addresses really can't be recovered by anyone, it's something of a special case, isn't it?. But Evorhees says he can't return anything, so that's that.

That is the problem... everyone thinks their case is special.  Trust me the last thing erik wants to do is start making exceptions.  The rule of "all bets are final" is *much* better.  The support headache that would be incurred by SD would be astronomical.

It sucks, I know.  I didn't do it with 50BTC, but I am not rich and even 4 BTC (4.6 actually) is still significant for me.  But I learn and I move on so hopefully i don't have to pay the stupid tax on another larger, or more important transfer, in the future.

rockxie (OP)

Activity: 284
Merit: 254

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 03:29:28 AM

Cry

But I can't find any contact infomation of SatoshiDICE

Send Erik Voorhees a PM, I believe he operates SatoshiDice.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=12149

Thank you.  I have sended  him a message when I made the mistake,but he didn't reply.I will pm him again.

To unclemantis:

I play the DICE before, I when I withdraw from Mtgox ,I copy my address and it didn't success, so I past the address of DICE which I copy before. That is it.
I made a similar mistake recently with SD... I intended to be 0.4 BTC and bet 4.0 BTC (Of 5.5 I had just bought)

Guess what?  It lost.

I didn't go whining to erik because it was my mistake, I was bummed the rest of the night.  But at least it wasn't a larger amount.  It has made me much more vigilant and double check everything.  The only stupid mistakes are the ones you don't learn from.

It looks that  I am not the only one to make the same mistakes.

I am glad that my example has caused people some of the thinking and discussion about the bitcoin address copy mistake.

In fact, I'm just new in this forum,and I have  heard bitcoin  for a long time.

I was fascinated when I first know it.

I have been committed to the promotion and introduction to other new bitcoiners at my site www.TTbit.com.

I know, it is almost impossible to get my bitcoins back because this is my mistake,but it is meaningful for  bitcoiners who are always careless.

And  I have another question:

If there is a virus  who's the only function is make some bitcoiner's pasteboard to his master's address,what will happen ? Each person will always make mistakes especially when he isn't familar with the deal.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2012, 03:40:15 AM

How did you pick the name TTbit.com?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2012, 04:05:17 AM

This isn't really a discretionary decision for Erik either. He really cannot reliably know that the 50 btc dice roll originated from the same person as claimed. Even if he accepted it was a mistake and it came from a Gox address he can't return it to that address without it vanishing randomly since that return address doesn't belong to the claimant. And it isn't reasonable to return it to some other address the claimant provides since there's no link between the origin address with the claimant.

Anyone could scan the blockchain, find a suitable candidate loss, claim it was sent by him and beg for it back. He really has no choice but to just stick to the posted rules and not manually intervene, despite it being a real shame.

Re: TTbit.com - wow, I wonder what all those Chinese symbols are saying...

TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 04:36:37 AM

I have been committed to the promotion and introduction to other new bitcoiners at my site www.TTbit.com.

I just happen to reply to the thread of the guy who owns TTBit.com? Am I being setup?

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 04:39:41 AM

I just happen to reply to the thread of the guy who owns TTBit.com? Am I being setup?
Now I wonder who actually owns ttbit.com.  Shocked
dooglus
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 05:17:55 PM

If the coin happened to be coming from a green address (such as those from Mt. Gox, Instawallet or wherever else they are offered) to return it without treating it as a wager.

Return it to what address?  If they return it to the green address then the originating account won't get credit for it.

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
██████████████████████████████
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   Play or Invest                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
dooglus
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 05:21:39 PM

rockxie, you need to quickly send 100 btc to that address and when it hits, you'll win back everything you lost.  If it doesn't win, send 200.  It's a sure thing!
 Cheesy

It looks like he tried winning it back, won, and then wasn't paid out: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=96664

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
Jake
Donator

Activity: 256
Merit: 250

Happy New Year!

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 06:37:10 PM

If you think about it, I truly think he did make the mistake. Who would bet, without an address that is accessible by him?

dooglus
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 07:14:58 PM

If you think about it, I truly think he did make the mistake. Who would bet, without an address that is accessible by him?

Someone who had read the forums and seen anecdotal evidence that with enough nagging MtGox will refund you you your SatoshiDice winnings?

I think he made an honest mistake though.

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2012, 05:30:35 AM

You should not have sent a 50btc bet to a site that you didn't understand the mechanics of.
It sounds like it was a cut-'n-paste error, but yes - always double and triple check the address and the amount.

If only SatoshiDICE had some sort of vanity prefix for their addresses...   Cheesy

This is what I have been thinking.  Something doesn't add up.

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 01:01:07 AM

I just placed 2 bets valued at 0.001btc in honor of our fallen hero here. Both lost Sad

I suggest you all do the same and if you win, forward the winnings to him.

It's worth a shot Smiley

Thanks for your suggest.

Today is my horrible day.

Yes also you're horrible engrish day.  Cheesy

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

dooglus
Legendary

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 02:08:28 AM

Your.

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 02:09:51 AM

Your.

http://badum-tish.com/

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: