Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 07:04:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinbase CEO: bitcoin is far ahead! Altcoins are distractions!  (Read 10399 times)
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 12:09:00 AM

For me its words of wisdom.
Whenever it cause someone got angry or not.
darkota

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 12:12:09 AM

Litecoin is a joke

You know Litecoin is a joke when it's lead developer and creator stops developing for it:

The fact that Charlie Lee works for Coinbase, probably the largest Bitcoin based company, is a joke in itself.

You know Bitcoin is a joke when it's lead developer and creator stops developing for it. :p

The "there can only be one" camp of Bitcoiners do not understand that altcoins supporters don't necessarily think that any altcoin will overtake Bitcoin in value. I can't speak for everyone, but I believe that Bitcoin will always be the "one" cryptocurrency, the crypto reserve currency.* But there will always be room for a few more cryptocurrencies that are adopted widely just like Bitcoin. These cryptocurrencies will have independent economic models and not pegged to Bitcoin and will have a free-floating market price. As toknormal said, the market has already decided that altcoins have a future. The market is smarter and more efficient that any one of us. You can say "shitcoins are dead" a million times, but that doesn't change the fact that Litecoin has a $60M market cap and that people are willing to trade them at ~$1.80 a coin today. This doesn't guarantee that Litecoin will survive in the long run. But one thing I know for sure is that there will always be altcoins.

For those that think Bitcoin and sidechains (pegged Bitcoin) will cause market cap of all altcoins to go to 0, do you also think that all countries should adopt the USD or peg their currency to USD?

* And that is why I work for Coinbase.

Words of wisdom, makes sense.
PenguinFire

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

That Darn Cat

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 12:15:20 AM

They are distractions when they are all based on the price of bitcoins.

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2015, 12:58:33 AM

he's a clown but he's right that altcoins are a waste of time.

• so solving Bitcoin's lack of fungibility is a waste of time ?
 • improving on its epic 30 minute confirmation speed is a waste of time ?
 • exploring alternative inflation rates is a waste of time ?
 • testing un-mineable algos are a waste of time ?
 • supporting asset exchanges on a blockchain is a waste of time ?
 • addressing the need for a stable exchange with fiat is a waste of time ?
 • trying to match the demand for risk assets with stable currencies is a waste of time ?
 • addressing the need for contract rule-bases is a waste of time ?

If you really think that the Bitcoin blockchain or even sidechained cryptoes have a snowball's hope in hell of addressing all those demands - even on an experimental basis, never mind a production one - then I'd say stick with fiat because we're all at base camp and you've yet to look out the window.

Everything listed could have been done, without leeching off of the market cap.

How are altcoins addressing this (bold)?

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 02:01:51 AM

Are you serious ? Leeching off what marketcap ? Nobody owns this market. Altcoins have attracted their own markets through distinctive technologies that others do not support. They haven't "leeched" off anything.

There are 2 "flavours" of fiat pegged alt currencies - 1 which uses supply restricted algorithms to manage the flow of coins to market and another who's blockchain supports the dynamic creation of pegged currencies by the matching of short and long positions in that currency - sort of like very granular banking.

In the latter case, as the adoption of the pegged asset increases, so does the value of the underlying collateral. This makes for a very elegant solution because it satisfies 2 disparate market requirements in a complimentary way - 1. The demand for risk assets which deliver a return on investment 2. The demand for a stable trading currency for use in retail and commercial markets.

You only have to look at coinmarketcap.com to see that they work:

darkota

Merit: 500

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 02:05:09 AM

Are you serious ? Leeching off what marketcap ? Nobody owns this market. Altcoins have attracted their own markets through distinctive technologies that others do not support. They haven't "leeched" off anything.

There are 2 "flavours" of fiat pegged alt currencies - 1 which uses supply restricted algorithms to manage the flow of coins to market and another who's blockchain supports the dynamic creation of pegged currencies by the matching of short and long positions in that currency - sort of like very granular banking.

In the latter case, as the adoption of the pegged asset increases, so does the value of the underlying collateral. This makes for a very elegant solution because it satisfies 2 disparate market requirements in a complimentary way - 1. The demand for risk assets which deliver a return on investment 2. The demand for a stable trading currency for use in retail and commercial markets.

The points you have presented are valid, LaudaM just lost $ trading Darkcoin, and is "mad" at all altcoins. Shame.
Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 02:10:23 AM

Here's my take on it!

https://twitter.com/EMC2Whale/status/570767517016309760

Grin Cheesy Grin
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2015, 03:37:08 AM

Dang, you know shit just got real when CobLee dusts off his Bitcointalk account trying to defend his invention!   Cheesy

Not trying to incite an alt-riot, but shouldn't you focus your disdain on your boss and put him on blast instead?

It's your employer's words that brought about this thread.  Maybe prove your superior wrong, not the people here?

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
bitcoin_bagholder

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 04:20:51 AM

Dang, you know shit just got real when CobLee dusts off his Bitcointalk account trying to defend his invention!   Cheesy

Not trying to incite an alt-riot, but shouldn't you focus your disdain on your boss and put him on blast instead?

It's your employer's words that brought about this thread.  Maybe prove your superior wrong, not the people here?

Chuck knows better than to overly rock the boat. He's expendable.

By "Chuck", I mean Charlie(Chuck), not you, ChuckBuck.  Tongue

Bitmixer sucks

Bit-X sucks
mayax
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 04:47:22 AM

Litecoin is a joke

You know Litecoin is a joke when it's lead developer and creator stops developing for it:

The fact that Charlie Lee works for Coinbase, probably the largest Bitcoin based company, is a joke in itself.

that's correct. they all are a gang. they all are related. Don't you see? Smiley

Charlie Lee(Litecoin owner) works for Coinbase. Coinbase has shareholders same guys who are shareholders for Bitstamp, BTC-China, Ripple and many others.
The same shareholders are the sponsors for many news media websites which promote Bitcoins.

Take the ones from the so called "Foundation"(Bitcoin developers) and you will find that they are connected with the exchanges and their shareholders as well. Not that they know each other but the are interconnected by running the same businesses.

Only a very stupid person should not see the facts. Smiley

Not sure what your point is, but sure I'll bite.

Dudes from silicon valley and dudes from wall street run in the same circles, so they form one huge massive circle jerk with splooge all over their faces.  Amirite?

In this threads context, I think you made a positive remark though, instead of your intended negative slant.  Synergy between tech companies and financial companies, and extending the ecosystem is always a good thing.

in the same circles is one things and running the SAME business is other thing.

Coinbase has shareholders same guys who are shareholders for Bitstamp, BTC-China, Ripple and many others. Don't take my words. Make a search.

You will observe that they own/share the same businesses; same exchanges, same news media websites(these are very important in promoting their shit).

Who? around of 6-7 people. Smiley

In other words, this gang is controlling the Bitcoin  Smiley
jimmothy

Merit: 509

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 04:56:41 AM

The "there can only be one" camp of Bitcoiners do not understand that altcoins supporters don't necessarily think that any altcoin will overtake Bitcoin in value. I can't speak for everyone, but I believe that Bitcoin will always be the "one" cryptocurrency, the crypto reserve currency.* But there will always be room for a few more cryptocurrencies that are adopted widely just like Bitcoin. These cryptocurrencies will have independent economic models and not pegged to Bitcoin and will have a free-floating market price. As toknormal said, the market has already decided that altcoins have a future. The market is smarter and more efficient that any one of us. You can say "shitcoins are dead" a million times, but that doesn't change the fact that Litecoin has a $60M market cap and that people are willing to trade them at ~$1.80 a coin today. This doesn't guarantee that Litecoin will survive in the long run. But one thing I know for sure is that there will always be altcoins.

For those that think Bitcoin and sidechains (pegged Bitcoin) will cause market cap of all altcoins to go to 0, do you also think that all countries should adopt the USD or peg their currency to USD?

* And that is why I work for Coinbase.

I don't see what point you are trying to make with your USD analogy. Fiat is a source of wealth for governments (printing money doesn't increase a countries wealth, but it increases the printers portion of the pie). Now why would China for example want to give the United States the ability to constantly decrease China's portion of the pie?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, why create entire new coins/distributions for every new idea/feature/use (micro/merchant transactions, smart contracts/properties, anonymous transactions, etc), when those features could simply be built upon Bitcoin's rock solid system/distribution?
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2015, 05:00:10 AM

Litecoin is a joke

that's correct. they all are a gang. they all are related. Don't you see? Smiley

Charlie Lee(Litecoin owner) works for Coinbase. Coinbase has shareholders same guys who are shareholders for Bitstamp, BTC-China, Ripple and many others.
The same shareholders are the sponsors for many news media websites which promote Bitcoins.

Take the ones from the so called "Foundation"(Bitcoin developers) and you will find that they are connected with the exchanges and their shareholders as well. Not that they know each other but the are interconnected by running the same businesses.

Only a very stupid person should not see the facts. Smiley

Not sure what your point is, but sure I'll bite.

Dudes from silicon valley and dudes from wall street run in the same circles, so they form one huge massive circle jerk with splooge all over their faces.  Amirite?

In this threads context, I think you made a positive remark though, instead of your intended negative slant.  Synergy between tech companies and financial companies, and extending the ecosystem is always a good thing.

in the same circles is one things and running the SAME business is other thing.

Coinbase has shareholders same guys who are shareholders for Bitstamp, BTC-China, Ripple and many others. Don't take my words. Make a search.

You will observe that they own/share the same businesses; same exchanges, same news media websites(these are very important in promoting their shit).

Who? around of 6-7 people. Smiley

In other words, this gang is controlling the Bitcoin  Smiley

Hmm, I know a pair of identical dudes that own 1% of all Bitcoins in existence, have a competitor exchange to Coinbase, don't own any stake in BitStamp, BTC-China, Ripple, and don't run in the same circles as these 6-7 people or have any link to these media outlets.

These 2 aren't part of this "gang".  I'm pretty sure their launching a Bitcoin ETF soon after their Coinbase competitor exchange.

I forget their names, it escapes me...what's their names again?!   Undecided

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2015, 05:49:08 AM
Last edit: February 26, 2015, 06:03:16 AM by LaudaM

They haven't "leeched" off anything.

In my view, they have (taking in consideration the people I've worked with in the past). One could say that they have created their own market as well I assume.
Interesting. So you'e saying the current exchanges can be deemed as unstable?

Such contributions to the discussion definitely won't go unrewarded. Welcome to the ignore list.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
PenguinFire

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

That Darn Cat

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 05:54:34 AM

New crytocurrency in this day are not going to account to anything.  Maybe next year, or the year after but not in the short term future.  Does anyone agree?  Wink

TheMage

Activity: 812

Litecoin Association Director

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 07:01:39 AM

This thread certainly disintegrated into the same dribble that always happens, and that is both sides yelling at each other with each side hoping they are the louder one ergo the correct one.

For anyone interested, here you go http://coinfire.io/2015/02/24/litecoin-association-director-challenges-coinbase-ceo-to-public-debate/

Would love to have the same discussion with anyone here if you would like too (without the yelling of course) Smiley.

Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/TheRealMage for Litecoin and Litecoin Association news!
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 08:39:18 AM

I don't think you understand.

His "superior" would never be so unprofessional as to express such overt commercial dogmatism in public if it was genuine.

What that tweet was was a trial balloon to test the mood of the market and coax some informed opinion out of the woodwork to help him establish future business priorities  Wink

The Chainmaker

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 12:02:12 PM

Ripple and Stellar do suck. 

Just Coinbase alone is better than both of them combined. 

That isn't to say that Bitcoin will always be the best, but yeah, Ripple and Stellar get way to much attention. 

If it can be digitized, it should be decentralized
koelen3
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1007

Sooner or later, a man who wears two faces forgets

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 12:12:30 PM

That isn't to say that Bitcoin will always be the best, but yeah, Ripple and Stellar get way to much attention. 
How is Ripple and Stellar connected to coinbase , AFAIK , Ripple and Stellar are payment gateways while coinbase is more like an Exchange and wallet combined , though it works as a bitcoin payment gateway for business's but i don't really believe that
The Chainmaker

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 12:38:45 PM

How is Ripple and Stellar connected to coinbase , AFAIK , Ripple and Stellar are payment gateways while coinbase is more like an Exchange and wallet combined , though it works as a bitcoin payment gateway for business's but i don't really believe that

I have USD and I need Euro's.  I go from US bank account -> coinbase -> buy bitcoin -> transfer them to my European Coinbase account ->cash out. 

In Ripple/Stellar I go from my US bank account -> Snapswap US -> buy my Ripple Snapswap USD -> ask the Ripple network and pray there is a good market maker that won't rip me off that will trade SnapSwap USD for SnapSwap Euro -> Send those snapswap Euros to SnapSwap Euro and cash out.  Oh yeah, and along the way I got to grant trust to SnapSwap and hope they don't screw me over.

Coinbase alone does a better job for getting USD to Euro than the whole Ripple network.  And there are lots of other options other than just Coinbase.   

If it can be digitized, it should be decentralized
Hamuki
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 12:41:02 PM

If it wasnt for altcoins, then BTC would not be alive since over 80% of all transaction in BTC is from BTC to Altcoins or Altcoins to BTC.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: