Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:11:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC-E.COM NICE RECOVERY FROM THE HACK! =)  (Read 50967 times)
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 08:02:19 AM

dev: we got some fake LR deposits so they just bought btc and withdraw

dev: karl1982, exchange not hacked, we just receive fake LR USD
I'm kind of having a hard time seeing what the difference is. If you can get fake USD into an exchange, you've hacked it.

Maybe he means that the hack was LR side?

LR can be hacked into sending fake LR USD!
Quickly everyone the USD has been hacked
Move your money to Bitcoin now, before your USD is worthless.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 08:17:44 AM

I'm kind of having a hard time seeing what the difference is. If you can get fake USD into an exchange, you've hacked it.

That would be good - that would mean that LR is up to cover the money and all the BTC-e transactions should all be unchanged ...

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
smoothie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 08:20:54 AM

That would be good - that would mean that LR is up to cover the money and all the BTC-e transactions should all be unchanged ...
+1 Did not think of that...

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 08:48:43 AM

What is far more likely is that there is a payment notification interface that was replay attacked due to poor design. I'm not up on how LR notifies of received funds but it may be like Paypal and I know how that one works.

BTC-E receives a http POST saying funds arrived into account. It updates it's exchange accounts locally to reflect that. But if the POST isn't properly qualified/authenticated then someone who knows the protocol can mimic funds deposit and make it appear like they have sent funds. It is critical that a POST back to origin to verify funds happens and perhaps that didn't happen or was MITM somehow.

The result is no funds on account at LR. And free to spend money at BTC-E.

They can reverse all the trades and restore balance to pre-hack time. But they will not be able to give back BTC that have been withdrawn. So either they make good and buy it in the market, or they say tough luck and customers lose. I expect they'll reverse everything and then see how much BTC they would need to buy. And at that point they'll decide who loses.

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 08:48:58 AM

dev: we do rollback right now
Nice

That's why you make backup, so in case of problems you do a rollback and problem solved. Not like the scammers of bitcoinica that "we have no backups lol"

Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 09:00:21 AM

They can reverse all the trades and restore balance to pre-hack time. But they will not be able to give back BTC that have been withdrawn. So either they make good and buy it in the market, or they say tough luck and customers lose. I expect they'll reverse everything and then see how much BTC they would need to buy. And at that point they'll decide who loses.

What was BTC withdraw limit ?
ailikun

Activity: 406
Merit: 254

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 09:15:27 AM

No limit(

Komuto Herovato is definitely the chief engineer of bfl)
smoothie (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 09:18:17 AM

No limit(

Not true. there is a 2000BTC limit. Asshole doesnt know what the fuck he is talking about.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 09:22:25 AM

That's why you make backup, so in case of problems you do a rollback and problem solved. Not like the scammers of bitcoinica that "we have no backups lol"
Unfortunately, it's not problem solved for at least two reasons. First, you can't rollback coin withdrawals. (They may have a similar problem with LR withdrawals, but I doubt it.) Second, you will have customers who will, in many cases justifiably, feel that rolling back legitimate trades rips them off. (You'll also have a bunch of jerks demanding to keep their ill-gotten gains, such as people who deposited BTC, sold them for $50 each, and then tried to withdraw USD. But screw them.)

For example, consider someone who saw the price rise at BTC-e and then bought a Mt. Gox code and then bought bitcoins at Mt. Gox, withdrew them from Gox and deposited them at BTC-e. A rollback would give them their bitcoins back. That still leaves them out the commission they paid for the Gox code plus  two Mt. Gox commissions (buying the bitcoins and then having to sell them). They also may take exchange losses depending on the timing and are left having to withdraw USD from Mt. Gox.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
ailikun

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 09:25:06 AM

No limit(

Not true. there is a 2000BTC limit. Asshole doesnt know what the fuck he is talking about.

well, theres no meneaning in being rude.

"Our advantages:

•Trading in automatic mode.
•Addition USD deposits within 24 hour
•Instant deposit/withdrawal all coin
•USD Withdrawal within 24 hours

i havent tried withdrowing more than 2000 btc.
so if im wrong, than its good.

smoothie (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 09:32:47 AM

No limit(

well, theres no meneaning in being rude.

"Our advantages:

•Trading in automatic mode.
•Addition USD deposits within 24 hour
•Instant deposit/withdrawal all coin
•USD Withdrawal within 24 hours

i havent tried withdrowing more than 2000 btc.
so if im wrong, than its good.

There is plenty of reason to be rude to you. You claimed something you did not even know anything about.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

ailikun

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 09:40:37 AM
Last edit: July 31, 2012, 09:53:21 AM by ailikun

I didn't claimed it.
And I didn't argue with anybody
I believed that, there is no limit.

Edit: Yes theres is a limit, its 2000btc.
sorry for misleading

Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 10:39:50 AM

Unfortunately, it's not problem solved for at least two reasons. First, you can't rollback coin withdrawals. (They may have a similar problem with LR withdrawals, but I doubt it.) Second, you will have customers who will, in many cases justifiably, feel that rolling back legitimate trades rips them off. (You'll also have a bunch of jerks demanding to keep their ill-gotten gains, such as people who deposited BTC, sold them for $50 each, and then tried to withdraw USD. But screw them.)

For example, consider someone who saw the price rise at BTC-e and then bought a Mt. Gox code and then bought bitcoins at Mt. Gox, withdrew them from Gox and deposited them at BTC-e. A rollback would give them their bitcoins back. That still leaves them out the commission they paid for the Gox code plus  two Mt. Gox commissions (buying the bitcoins and then having to sell them). They also may take exchange losses depending on the timing and are left having to withdraw USD from Mt. Gox.
After the price rose above $12, it was extremely obvious that this was a hack. Anyone who traded elsewhere with the assumption that the btc-e trade was legit deserves to have the trade rolled-back.

tiberiandusk

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

The North Remembers

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 10:44:02 AM

After the price rose above $12, it was extremely obvious that this was a hack. Anyone who traded elsewhere with the assumption that the btc-e trade was legit deserves to have the trade rolled-back.

I think you meant to say, "Anyone who traded elsewhere with the assumption that the btc-e trade was legit was a freaking idiot."

Bitcoin Auction House http://www.BitBid.net BTC - 1EwfBVC6BwA6YeqcYZmm3htwykK3MStW6N | LTC - LdBpJJHj4WSAsUqaTbwyJQFiG1tVjo4Uys Don't get Goxed.
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 10:47:20 AM

I agree, but it's very hard for a business to say to its customers, "you were stupid to trust us, so you deserve to lose". I'm sure they can find lots of places btc-e talks about how secure and reliable they are and how customers can and should trust them. It's hard to turn around and blame people for doing what you've asked them to do.

Also, watching it happen, it wasn't obvious to me that it was an exchange hack until much later. In fact, until very late I considered it still a possibility that someone was using a large amount of real LR.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Maged
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 10:56:21 AM

Also, watching it happen, it wasn't obvious to me that it was an exchange hack until much later. In fact, until very late I considered it still a possibility that someone was using a large amount of real LR.
Seriously? I understand believing it up to about $12 (a 33% increase over MtGox), but after that not even an insane buyer would keep buying with their own funds. They'd let the price settle.

R-

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Pasta

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 10:59:35 AM

Equilibrium restored
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 11:15:38 AM

Equilibrium restored

Not yet. They can draw USD and BTC balances as they were before the hack, but what will happen if everyone try to withdraw all their money? Does BTC-e have enough funds to cover every claim?
Maged
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 11:19:06 AM

Equilibrium restored

Not yet. They can draw USD and BTC balances as they were before the hack, but what will happen if everyone try to withdraw all their money? Does BTC-e have enough funds to cover every claim?
If we've learned anything from past hacks, it's that that won't happen.

cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 11:57:57 AM

Whew...well, my BTC withdrawal went through, so I got my coins out of there. I was late to the party so I still have USD and LTC stuck there though.

Undecided

I'm grumpy!!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: