Bitcoin Forum
June 13, 2024, 04:42:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Talk account hacked any way to recover?  (Read 10827 times)
Neonecrox13

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

SAD - no longer active

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 12:11:00 AM

I've done everything you've done 3x or more. It was just a Full Member account.

TerraMaster (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 12:33:28 AM

I've done everything you've done 3x or more. It was just a Full Member account.

I see. Ya it sucks for sure. I had 2 accounts stolen at the same time too, my poor old "scryptonite" account got gone at the the exact same time. Both passwords were changed in less than 4 minutes of each other, I mean its kind of obvious what went down, with my accounts, almost a no-brainer to see if anyone looks at it for just a few minutes lol

I'm mostly mad at myself for installing a virus filled wallet. I got careless and it cost me. I wonder if the Admins have a way to see IP addresses of the persons who changed the account pass and email? Now that would be interesting to see. I posted the hackers IP and Best I can tell by using an IP trace it was somewhere in Russia.

BTC:1DiR25SPo84sThzTATr27EZEQZLt6hv6tG
MinermanNC
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 08:45:54 AM

Assuming everyone is honest,

----

Everything is possible, but if the account is stolen you should give back it for "free". However if he will accept to pay, better for you but if he will not accept to pay these 0.75 bitcoins I don't know what will happen. Can I ask you again if you have requested a signed message before buy the forum account or not?

No, that will be unfair to me. I lose 0.75 to a hacker, because someone else account was hacked? OP was probably careless, for instance I never install anything I get from here to my PC. I also have a good Anti-Virus installed.

I believe that OP is saying the truth and hence I will fully agree to give the account back for 0.75BTC.

There is negligence on the part of OP as far as I can see. He did not PM this account with any of the details, did not leave any trust feedback which could have been easily spotted by me.
He simply kept silent until the account was sold. He found it only after 3 days!?

All I did was I skipped asking for a signed address. He just ignored the question and I forgot to insist about it since the main worry was trust. No escrow was involved, you see. He ignores the question completely. Check the quote QuickSeller posted. He didn't reply to the part he asked for a signed address.

Proof can be submitted to mods/admin as required.

I believe, I am a bona fide purchaser of this account.

*BTC: 1DiR25SPo84sThzTATr27EZEQZLt6hv6tG
Neonecrox13

SAD - no longer active

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 10:25:01 AM

----

Everything is possible, but if the account is stolen you should give back it for "free". However if he will accept to pay, better for you but if he will not accept to pay these 0.75 bitcoins I don't know what will happen. Can I ask you again if you have requested a signed message before buy the forum account or not?

No, that will be unfair to me. I lose 0.75 to a hacker, because someone else account was hacked? OP was probably careless, for instance I never install anything I get from here to my PC. I also have a good Anti-Virus installed.

I believe that OP is saying the truth and hence I will fully agree to give the account back for 0.75BTC.

There is negligence on the part of OP as far as I can see. He did not PM this account with any of the details, did not leave any trust feedback which could have been easily spotted by me.
He simply kept silent until the account was sold. He found it only after 3 days!?

All I did was I skipped asking for a signed address. He just ignored the question and I forgot to insist about it since the main worry was trust. No escrow was involved, you see. He ignores the question completely. Check the quote QuickSeller posted. He didn't reply to the part he asked for a signed address.

It was asked previously to post the tx of the transaction

TerraMaster (OP)

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 12:22:58 PM

----

So, Lets say I leave my garage unlocked overnight, a thief comes in and steals My nice high end John Deer lawn Mower. He goes to the other side of the county and sells to someone, telling them oh he just needs money to pay his electric bill, and sells it dirt cheap. He doesn't show his receipt or prove to that person as to where he bought it etc. or that he actually owns it. That buyer just assumes its his and he knows it a great deal so he goes ahead and buys it anyways without proof from the thief that he is the true owner.

I spot my mower being used in some guys yard the next day, I call the police and prove that's it my stolen mower, Now are the police going to tell me well we all know its your mower but you will have to pay the guy back who bought it from the thief in order to get it back?? lol, I don't think so, that's not the way it works in life.

You took a huge chance that may have been a stolen account, sort of like buying a gun with the serial numbers scrubbed off, a little light should have went off in you head saying maybe this isn't such a good deal. Little red flags should have been popping up everywhere. But you took a chance and bought it anyways because it seemed like a good deal, as they say "to good to be true" it usually isn't ya a Hero account for peanuts.....

Because I got hacked it in no way puts the burden on me to feel I should have to reimburse you because you took a chance on buying it. Remember, if its to good to be true, it isn't.

I have submitted the proof that it is my account, aside from the fact we all know it is. You could have passed on the deal from the person who stole it, unless you had more proof it was theirs.

Time line: Sunday morning EST. at 9.30am (March 8th) I realize my PC has been hacked. Less than 1 hour later the following passwords are changed, including scryptonite my other account.

From security report ( 4 hours ahead of my time)

•March 08, 2015, 01:14:22 PM - MinermanNC - password changed - You buy my stolen account and change password again...
•March 08, 2015, 01:12:55 PM - hallared - password changed (don't know this guy lol)
•March 08, 2015, 01:10:48 PM - scryptonite - password changed - Thief changes
•March 08, 2015, 01:06:02 PM - MinermanNC - password changed - Thief changes

Later that night at 7:30 pm I realize they stole my BCT accounts, I PM you @ ( My MinermanNC account) to let you know I am here.

Almost immediately I create this thread looking for solutions and answers.

I regret you made a move and bought the account, despite what should have been red flags everywhere. I am not going to pay 1 red dime to get it back. You are in possession of stolen goods essentially, and it does not belong to you. "I am old school" and rely on principles in life in most things that I do. If this account is so important to you and you feel good keeping it, knowing its stolen and knowing its mine and you are comfortable with all of that and you can sleep at night with a clear conscious knowing all this... well? Best of luck to you in life.

I said in a Pm to you,  you could just do the right thing and return it, and move on, I would if it were the other way around.

Hfleer

Activity: 448

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 03:13:19 PM

Atleast you have the knowledge that his account is now worthless due to the negative feedback.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Neonecrox13

SAD - no longer active

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 03:27:12 PM

Atleast you have the knowledge that his account is now worthless due to the negative feedback.

Negative feedback can be removed.

Hfleer

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 03:29:07 PM

Sure but usually stolen accounts end up keeping it.

→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
Neonecrox13

SAD - no longer active

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 03:31:14 PM

Take my neg feedback I have. I'm glad its there. People will now do what I've been doing since I started bitcoins. It don't bother me none the least. But usually if you message who left it, and you can prove that its your account and something happened, they usually remove it. Not all the time I know, but usually.

Hfleer

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 03:32:57 PM

Take my neg feedback I have. I'm glad its there. People will now do what I've been doing since I started bitcoins. It don't bother me none the least. But usually if you message who left it, and you can prove that its your account and something happened, they usually remove it. Not all the time I know, but usually.

Fair enough.

→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
TerraMaster (OP)

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 04:04:42 PM

This is true lol, I just wish he would give it back.... end this nightmare  Smiley

Hfleer

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 04:07:45 PM

This is true lol, I just wish he would give it back.... end this nightmare  Smiley

You could always buy it from him. (I guess)

→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
TerraMaster (OP)

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 04:14:31 PM

This is true lol, I just wish he would give it back.... end this nightmare  Smiley

You could always buy it from him. (I guess)
Nah, that goes against my grain lol, and its not that important to me now, not enough to buy back what was mine.... However I would still like to get it back if the Admins see fit after reviewing what I sent, which they should. I was happily mining way before I ever had a bitcoin talk account, and I still am. Always just start a new account, life goes on.  Wink

MinermanNC
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 07:21:56 PM

----

It was asked previously to post the tx of the transaction

Need exact time when OP noticed or is faking to notice when the account was hacked. OP is online. Please provide the info.

Address provided by seller: 1ApAzBgKPoJ3AYhZEph9tuJ9z8bjbpWZwX

Tx 1: before transferring account
1bc57468a72cfdeffd04c71d9914467cdd66fcd801de9368755e2045e3a66cc8  0.3BTC

Account was transferred and checking was done.

Tx 2: after
27e24d27738d7864c295622675310ec0c56d7d35e1f3256295c241e9a191be40  0.45BTC

Neonecrox13

SAD - no longer active

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 07:34:23 PM

I am glad that both of you are peaceful about this and trying to work it out. More than I've seen out of a few on here. Hope you both get this resolved and nobody loses anything. GL.

MinermanNC
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 07:37:24 PM

So, Lets say I leave my garage unlocked overnight, a thief comes in and steals My nice high end John Deer lawn Mower. He goes to the other side of the county and sells to someone, telling them oh he just needs money to pay his electric bill, and sells it dirt cheap. He doesn't show his receipt or prove to that person as to where he bought it etc. or that he actually owns it. That buyer just assumes its his and he knows it a great deal so he goes ahead and buys it anyways without proof from the thief that he is the true owner.

I spot my mower being used in some guys yard the next day, I call the police and prove that's it my stolen mower, Now are the police going to tell me well we all know its your mower but you will have to pay the guy back who bought it from the thief in order to get it back?? lol, I don't think so, that's not the way it works in life.

You took a huge chance that may have been a stolen account, sort of like buying a gun with the serial numbers scrubbed off, a little light should have went off in you head saying maybe this isn't such a good deal. Little red flags should have been popping up everywhere. But you took a chance and bought it anyways because it seemed like a good deal, as they say "to good to be true" it usually isn't ya a Hero account for peanuts.....

Because I got hacked it in no way puts the burden on me to feel I should have to reimburse you because you took a chance on buying it. Remember, if its to good to be true, it isn't.

I have submitted the proof that it is my account, aside from the fact we all know it is. You could have passed on the deal from the person who stole it, unless you had more proof it was theirs.

Time line: Sunday morning EST. at 9.30am (March 8th) I realize my PC has been hacked. Less than 1 hour later the following passwords are changed, including scryptonite my other account.

•March 08, 2015, 01:14:22 PM - MinermanNC - password changed - You buy my stolen account and change password again...
•March 08, 2015, 01:12:55 PM - hallared - password changed (don't know this guy lol)

Later that night at 7:30 pm I realize they stole my BCT accounts, I PM you @ ( My MinermanNC account) to let you know I am here.

Almost immediately I create this thread looking for solutions and answers.

I regret you made a move and bought the account, despite what should have been red flags everywhere. I am not going to pay 1 red dime to get it back. You are in possession of stolen goods essentially, and it does not belong to you. "I am old school" and rely on principles in life in most things that I do. If this account is so important to you and you feel good keeping it, knowing its stolen and knowing its mine and you are comfortable with all of that and you can sleep at night with a clear conscious knowing all this... well? Best of luck to you in life.

I said in a Pm to you,  you could just do the right thing and return it, and move on, I would if it were the other way around.

So, you took 3 days to realize your account was stolen?

Do you think it makes sense that you install something in your PC, get it hacked and I pay the price?

(Just my views, don't get angry Smiley )

I didn't buy it for dirt cheap rates. For me, at least, it is quite a good amount. That is adequate compensation for the purchase.
(If you think that is dirt cheap, you can buy it from me for the same dirt cheap rates)
I honestly thought it a good price. Sr. members are heard to be worth 0.3-0.4. So double for Hero member. Certainly a decent rate.

There is negligence on your part, since you did not even add a negative trust to the account so that I could have spotted it. (If my account gets stolen, I will pretty sure it will go for sale and that will be the first thing I would do. I would also check Digital goods and Auctions boards for any similar account, which apparently you didn't. It was there at both places, I noticed from Recent posts of the seller yesterday)

You can buy this account from me for 0.75BTC. No strings attached.

I will try to find more about this case. Good luck to you too. Cheesy

MinermanNC
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 07:43:08 PM

------

You could be lying.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=976969.msg10667034#msg10667034

Hacker had control before: March 05, 2015, 11:30:29 AM

Real owner was active after : March 05, 2015, 02:56:48 AM
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.msg10663581#msg10663581

Brief gap

Hacker has control before : March 05, 2015, 11:30:29 AM
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=976969.msg10667034#msg10667034
_
_
_
Nothing happens for 3 days
_
_
_

Account sold on March 08, 2015, 01:16:37 PM

Brief gap

Reports it on March 08, 2015, 11:48:56 PM

----------

Are you thinking what I am thinking?

Well, the hacker must be very clever then. Or is it experience?

MinermanNC
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 07:50:46 PM

There was 0 red flags. Only thing I skipped off was getting an address signed. He didn't respond.

No I don't have any uncomfortable feelings here. My intentions were genuine and so is yours. I lost 0.75BTC, you lost your account. We are even. Smiley
We just need to get that hacker.

Same to you Smiley

MinermanNC
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 07:59:26 PM

A sells to B his account.

A claims it was C who sold it to B and C hacked it.

A provides proof of ownership.    (A - OP, B - me)

A sells to B.

B sells to C.

A provides account was hacked and provides proof of ownership.  (A - OP, C - me)

Of course you need to change password while selling...

This is indeed a clever way of making money, especially the first scenario.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2015, 10:12:17 PM

I am glad that both of you are peaceful about this and trying to work it out. More than I've seen out of a few on here. Hope you both get this resolved and nobody loses anything. GL.

I agree. I think I said this in the past, but I have to repeat this: I applaud those involved how civilized this is despite the amount of money and merde (pardon my french) is involved.

Id like to offer my advice on this. Take it or not I cant judge how important this is for each of you. Pardon me if I address you with your current accounts names it is just simpler for me and should not be take as bias.

MinermanNC I know - as you PMed me - that you are an experienced user here. I will not reveal your other account as you asked, dont worry. Yes, you should have asked for a signed message. Yes, it is understandable that you did not do so. I also agree that the price is somewhat normal. One might argue that the avatar might increase the value, but the trade was up ~3 days which should have given TerraMaster time to raise flags left and right. On the other hand: If I learned anything from past trades -> a hurried trade is rarely good a sign. Some people are just impatient, but usually I would say selling an account that is >600 days old would be a more considered decision. The asking price fell from 1.3 to .75 in those 3 days.

TerraMaster I personally think you have reasonably estblished that you once owned the account. I dont know if theymos will accept it though. There also is another problem. Lets say theymos accepts your proof, it does not clear up who sold the account. As we have seen from the time line of the events the thread which lead to the trade was opened 3 days prior to you noticing the hack. I also think its odd that the password was not reset as a change of password requires an attacker to have the old password. There are several explanations for this, among them (no order)

#1 you staged the hack
#2 your machine was compromised without you noticing and durring that time the old password was obtained by the hacker via e.g. a keylogger. They speculated you would not change the password for a while as long as they are careful in order to avoid raising flags when selling the account.

The lawn mower analogy is a nice picture, but the important difference is that in our digital world we have no faces or can easily change them. How would a judge rule in such a world?

There has been a similar situation in the recent past. It involved a loan though.

Im not sure where I am going with this. Would this be a battle it would be a draw and the longer this is dragged out the higher are the chances that the civilized conversations stop and more time is invested to solve something that might very well be unsolvable.

Do I have a solution? No. I hope I never have to be in a situation like this.
Do I think theymos will be able to solve this? I dont know, this was his opinion on the last case that seems more similar the longer I think about it.

I think that marcotheminer should return the account now since it was probably hacked, but everyone should give yussuf89 negative feedback for being unable to stand behind his account's actions unless he pays 50-75% of the loan principle. (This is just my opinion -- I'm not going to try to enforce it.)

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: