Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:46:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum - Bitcoin client for the common users (friendly and instant)  (Read 110004 times)
Nancarrow

Activity: 492
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 10:01:53 AM

Hello all, feature request and/or point-the-noob-in-the-right-direction request if this feature's already there somehow...

As I understand it, the Tx columns currently show how many *receiving* transactions the corresponding addresses have had. Could you add a column to show how many *spending* transactions they've had? Or even just a simple yes/no to the question 'has this address spent coins yet'?

I ask because I've been transferring coins between different wallet addresses, spending coins and then receiving more into the same address, turning off the 'send to change address' feature, generally doing all these things that I now come to understand are a slight security risk. I'd like a quick and easy way to see which addresses I've spent from, so that if there are any coins still in those addresses I can move them to a 'clean' address.

Yawny stuff follows:

... Just to check my understanding here: you've got private keys, public keys and addresses. They're related to each other by public-key=ecdsa(private-key) and address=ripemd-and-sha256-and-stuff(public-key). Both functions are currently irreversible (or 'computationally infeasible to reverse'). When an address receives money, only the address goes into the publicly-viewable blockchain. But when you spend money from an address, the public-key also goes in. You need the private key to spend money. So the security risk is that it's less secure to store coins in an address from which they've been spent before, than one which has never spent coins. 'Cos the former means everyone can now see the public key for that address, so to get the private key (and hence spend the remaining bitcoins) would require 'only' the ECDSA algorithm to have been broken, whereas to spend coins from an address which had never spent coins before would require ECDSA and RIPEMD and SHA256 to ALL have been broken. Right? So that's why we're supposed to keep generating new addresses for each transaction? And use change addresses?

If I've said anything amusing and/or informative and you're feeling generous:
1GNJq39NYtf7cn2QFZZuP5vmC1mTs63rEW
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2012, 01:11:20 AM

As I understand it, the Tx columns currently show how many *receiving* transactions the corresponding addresses have had. Could you add a column to show how many *spending* transactions they've had? Or even just a simple yes/no to the question 'has this address spent coins yet'?
I started implementing this a couple weeks back as part of my coin control branch but ran into some issue. So I backed it out and never got around to it again. However, in my history-filter branch it can be done manually by selecting an address and right clicking and choosing "Filter History". It will then show you any transactions using that address. You can multi-select a few addresses too. This branch is in my bkkcoins/electrum fork and not available in the main one. I'd suggest branch "merged-2" as it has all my combined feature additions. You're welcome to test it if you like - make sure you backup your wallet just in case. I have been using it daily here.

... would require 'only' the ECDSA algorithm to have been broken, whereas to spend coins from an address which had never spent coins before would require ECDSA and RIPEMD and SHA256 to ALL have been broken. Right? So that's why we're supposed to keep generating new addresses for each transaction? And use change addresses?
This may be true, I'm not enough of a crypto expert to say but I don't think it's the reason we generate new addresses for each transaction.

I think we do that for privacy as if you use the same address multiple times it increases the associations between transactions and therefore makes you more identifiable. If you paid multiple merchants with the same address then each of those merchants could possibly id you to a third party if they know who they dealt with / shipped to.

Likewise for merchants - if many of the customers paid to one address then those customers can now know that anyone else who paid to the address was buying a similar product or service. And in this case it's worse too because they wouldn't have to complete the deal, just request an address and then check the blockchain for who else paid there.

Incidentally the blockchain.info web site allows you to look up an address. It then gives you a "taint analysis" link that shows you how connected that address is to others. Taint in this case isn't "bad money" but rather visibly traceable usage.

ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2012, 04:59:27 PM

I have recently performed a large scale refactoring of the client code.
The purpose of this change was to introduce a new abstraction level between application settings and their storage on disk.
This was a much needed change, and I apologize if it broke modifications you were working on.

Each component of the application (wallet, interface, gui) now handles its settings separately.

Settings can be passed to the application using four different sources, that have different priorities:

1. the wallet file (read&write)
2. a system wide configuration file (overrides wallet file, read-only). (it is located in /etc/electrum.conf for unix)
3. a user-defined configuration file (overrides system configuration and wallet file, read&write). (it is located in ~/.electrum/electrum.conf. Perhaps ~/.electrum.conf would be better?)
4. the command line (overrides everything, read-only)

A sample configuration file is provided in the repo. It is human-editable and uses the ConfigParser syntax.
When a setting is present in the command line or in the system configuration file, it is read-only, and the corresponding Qt GUI modification widget is disabled.
In addition, a warning is issued if the application attempts to modify a read-only setting.

python scripts that use electrum are also simplified by this change. It is now possible to call electrum.Interface() with no parameters at all;
in that case, the constructor uses configuration files in order to know which server it should use.

I believe we should try to prepare a new release in the coming weeks.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
ThomasV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2012, 08:12:31 AM
Last edit: October 13, 2012, 08:45:54 AM by ThomasV

A thread about Electrum's security model was started here a week ago:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=CANEZrP3Ei8tU%3Dr_gp5K1fPGFe4gvX02gp%2ByuQRi0cwHhLLTe8g%40mail.gmail.com&forum_name=bitcoin-development

I agree with gmaxwell about the technical arguments presented in that thread. Electrum is susceptible to some attacks, and we should do what we can to improve it. However, I also think that when discussing security, it is important to also look at what actually happens with real users. Lots of users reported that they have lost their coins with bitcoin-qt, because they did not properly backup their wallet. This is a big issue, IMO, bigger than the possible attacks mentioned in that thread (which remain theoretical so far, as far as electrum is concerned). For some developers this does not seem to be a real issue, because users should be educated, so that if users lose their coins it is their fault. I disagree on that.

This does not mean we should not listen to criticism. I believe we should try to improve Electrum where it is possible.
gmaxwell suggested the following improvements, and I will work on them:
 - adding confirmation icons to the gui (I did it right away, using an old pull request made by Tachikoma)
 - adding SSL to the protocol. This should be easy, and can be targeted soon, maybe in the next (1.1) release.
 - adding SPV (simple payment verification) to the protocol. This will take more time, I guess we should add it in the 2.0 release.
 - adding a better explanation of the security model to the website. he is willing to help me on that.

One problem that is mentioned in the thread is the lack of response from Electrum developers. I was not aware of the existence of that thread since I unregistered from the bitcoin-dev ML; I prefer to use bitcointalk.org for discussions about Electrum, because I think messages posted here reach more people. In addition, the messages in that thread were forwarded to the 'official' Electrum email support address, which I believe is genjix's address. And genjix has been away for quite a while now. This is, IMO, a big issue. It caused gmaxwell to suggest that we are "unwilling to disclose" the limitations of the software.

Tachikoma

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2012, 08:19:24 AM

No offense but why would you start an argument on the bitcoin-development mailing list about a client that has a specific thread on the bitcoin forums. I for one am on no mailing list simply because I hate even more mail then I already get. If you want a serious argument gmaxwell should have taken it here. Besides I think that you Thomas are the only one who can really answer those questions since you wrote all the cryptography bits anyway Smiley

Can anybody point me in the direction of some documentation about this SPV? I couldn't find anything substancial but it sounds interesting.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks | Bytesized Seedboxes BTC/LTC supported
ThomasV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2012, 08:45:15 AM

Can anybody point me in the direction of some documentation about this SPV? I couldn't find anything substancial but it sounds interesting.
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Thin_Client_Security

BkkCoins

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2012, 09:11:03 AM

I have a small patch that shows confirmation count as a tool tip instead of the trx id (which isn't very useful as a tool tip since you can't copy/paste from there). The tool tip was previously being used as a data holder between the list and the detail popup, so I also changed the code so the trx id is stored as a user data value in the list. That way the detail popup still has access to it.

I think it's useful to see the confirmation count easly but also it would good if the icon color changed according to count. eg. yellow for < 6 and normal for 6+ maybe.

hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 12:55:33 PM

- adding a better explanation of the security model to the website. he is willing to help me on that.

I can help with that but someone would need to explain to me how exactly everything works. I can't read code but I do have a fairly decent understanding of programing logic.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
ThomasV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2012, 03:05:47 PM

I have a small patch that shows confirmation count as a tool tip instead of the trx id (which isn't very useful as a tool tip since you can't copy/paste from there). The tool tip was previously being used as a data holder between the list and the detail popup, so I also changed the code so the trx id is stored as a user data value in the list. That way the detail popup still has access to it.

nice! using it as a data holder was indeed a bit dirty.
I think we could have the numver of confirmations in the icon's tooltip, and add a new tooltip with the tx id, for the 'description' column.

I think it's useful to see the confirmation count easly but also it would good if the icon color changed according to count. eg. yellow for < 6 and normal for 6+ maybe.
why? are you not happy with the clock icons?

BkkCoins

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2012, 04:34:57 PM

why? are you not happy with the clock icons?
[/quote]
I haven't seen the clock icons yet. Just the previous check marks versions. No comment yet.

ThomasV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2012, 05:42:40 PM

I haven't seen the clock icons yet. Just the previous check marks versions. No comment yet.
do:
git pull
and then rebuild icons:
pyrcc4 icons.qrc -o lib/icons_rc.py

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 11:47:06 PM

A thread about Electrum's security model was started here a week ago:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=CANEZrP3Ei8tU%3Dr_gp5K1fPGFe4gvX02gp%2ByuQRi0cwHhLLTe8g%40mail.gmail.com&forum_name=bitcoin-development

I agree with gmaxwell about the technical arguments presented in that thread. Electrum is susceptible to some attacks, and we should do what we can to improve it. However, I also think that when discussing security, it is important to also look at what actually happens with real users. Lots of users reported that they have lost their coins with bitcoin-qt, because they did not properly backup their wallet. This is a big issue, IMO, bigger than the possible attacks mentioned in that thread (which remain theoretical so far, as far as electrum is concerned). For some developers this does not seem to be a real issue, because users should be educated, so that if users lose their coins it is their fault. I disagree on that.

This does not mean we should not listen to criticism. I believe we should try to improve Electrum where it is possible.
gmaxwell suggested the following improvements, and I will work on them:
 - adding confirmation icons to the gui (I did it right away, using an old pull request made by Tachikoma)
 - adding SSL to the protocol. This should be easy, and can be targeted soon, maybe in the next (1.1) release.
 - adding SPV (simple payment verification) to the protocol. This will take more time, I guess we should add it in the 2.0 release.

One problem that is mentioned in the thread is the lack of response from Electrum developers. I was not aware of the existence of that thread since I unregistered from the bitcoin-dev ML; I prefer to use bitcointalk.org for discussions about Electrum, because I think messages posted here reach more people. In addition, the messages in that thread were forwarded to the 'official' Electrum email support address, which I believe is genjix's address. And genjix has been away for quite a while now. This is, IMO, a big issue. It caused gmaxwell to suggest that we are "unwilling to disclose" the limitations of the software.

Good stuff ThomasV ... I sense you are not so 'retired' from Electrum as you indicated you might be, and this is not a bad thing.

piuk

Activity: 910
Merit: 1005

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 05:47:05 PM

There's bug in indentation on the line with "self.send_response(200)". Can you fix it, please. Otherwise this pull request is safe.

Indentation fixed I think (unfamiliar with python).

ThomasV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 10:08:51 PM

There's bug in indentation on the line with "self.send_response(200)". Can you fix it, please. Otherwise this pull request is safe.
Indentation fixed I think (unfamiliar with python).
merged, thanks.

ThomasV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 09:45:27 AM

version 1.1 is released!
announcement here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=50936.msg1282933#msg1282933

crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 08:35:33 PM

Hey guys, Electrum is great. One thing I noticed though is that it grabs an exchange rate from Intersango- and they aren't supporting USD anymore. As a result the exchange rate is way off. Any way to change this to GOX for example? Or perhaps lets people choose the exchange rate Electrum sources?

cheers!

more or less retired.
BkkCoins

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2012, 04:34:42 AM

Hey guys, Electrum is great. One thing I noticed though is that it grabs an exchange rate from Intersango- and they aren't supporting USD anymore. As a result the exchange rate is way off. Any way to change this to GOX for example? Or perhaps lets people choose the exchange rate Electrum sources?

cheers!

I've already written suitable patches to support multiple exchanges using a module for each one. And for choosing what currencies you want from the settings dialog. They are on my fork and just need to be merged into the master.

I adapted the exchange_rate module to both an Intersango and MtGox one. Whatever modules are present in the exchanges directory get shown in a dropdown for selecting as default.

flatfly
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
October 31, 2012, 06:24:51 PM

cheers!

I've already written suitable patches to support multiple exchanges using a module for each one. And for choosing what currencies you want from the settings dialog. They are on my fork and just need to be merged into the master.

I adapted the exchange_rate module to both an Intersango and MtGox one. Whatever modules are present in the exchanges directory get shown in a dropdown for selecting as default.

I really hope your patches will be reviewed for merging soon!
Perhaps you could have a chat with ThomasV to organize / speed up the process?

brunozisterer

Activity: 265
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 08:48:08 AM

Can anybody tell me in which folder are my private keys stored at the electrum wallet ?
And can I make a copy (like the wallet.dat) on the Bitcoin client to secure them ?
ThomasV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2012, 08:57:21 AM

Can anybody tell me in which folder are my private keys stored at the electrum wallet ?
And can I make a copy (like the wallet.dat) on the Bitcoin client to secure them ?

the whole point about this client is that private keys are not stored in the wallet.
they are derived from your seed.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 »
  Print  

Jump to: