Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:45:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum - Bitcoin client for the common users (friendly and instant)  (Read 110004 times)
dermo

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 10:01:45 AM

I believe that I have diagnosed the bug.
Can you please synchronize your wallet using pdmc.net, so that you can reproduce the "not enough funds" message again, like you posted before?

Once you have done that, type this in the console tab:

Code:
wallet.config.set_key('transactions', '', True)

Then exit electrum, and restart it.
It will resynchronize for a while, and then it should not have the "not enough funds" message anymore.

please report if it worked.

Problem solved !! it work !!
Awesome support!

EDIT: I don't find your btc address, you definitely deserve a donation for help me and keep going to dev your client!
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 11:21:51 AM

Problem solved !! it work !!
Awesome support!

EDIT: I don't find your btc address, you definitely deserve a donation for help me and keep going to dev your client!

thanks. I will try to make a bugfix release soon.

Do not donate to me.
if you want to make a donation, better send it to one of the Electrum server operators; they have operating costs.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
louisBSAS

Activity: 623
Merit: 11

Proof-of-Stake Blockchain Network

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 06:05:17 PM

I just started with Electrum.   I have an imported wallet and I wonder where the private key is stored.  I understand that this wallet will not be restored if I restore Electrum from seed.  But I want to know where Electrum keeps it. If someone gains access to my computer, Electrum's ".dat" file is encrypted, but where are the private keys (that I entered) for my imported wallet?

The reason I ask...  I have one wallet.dat that has never seen an on-line computer (and it contains quite a bit).  Before I enter a private key to access/spend from that wallet, I want to know where the private key goes/stays/is stored after I enter it into Electrum.

Thanks

Tachikoma

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 06:06:51 PM

Your imported private key gets encrypted into your Electrum wallet.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks | Bytesized Seedboxes BTC/LTC supported
louisBSAS

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 11:16:54 PM

Your imported private key gets encrypted into your Electrum wallet.

Thanks for your response.  I did some testing...

I put my electrum.dat (containing an imported wallet) on another computer and and was able use "file" + "open wallet" without being prompted for a password.   I could see all addresses, balances and transactions for the 5 electrum addresses and all the same for my imported wallet.  I was not able to spend coins without a password, but I could see everything. 

The fact that any electrum.dat file can be opened (if stolen or moved) without a password, may not allow someone to take your coins, but if they can open it, it might motivate them to crack your password.  Is this intentional?  Or should the program ask for a password when it opens up / opens a different .dat file?

Michael_S

Activity: 278
Merit: 251

Bitcoin-Note-and-Voucher-Printing-Empowerer

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 11:46:01 PM

this is certainly intentional. it makea management of your addresses etc more convenient if this is not password protected, e.g. administering addressbook, freezing/prioritizing own addresses, labelling of addresses.

for your concerns, you should install truecrypt on your offline pc, create an encrypted container file, and move your wallet file there.

ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 11:32:00 AM

The fact that any electrum.dat file can be opened (if stolen or moved) without a password, may not allow someone to take your coins, but if they can open it, it might motivate them to crack your password.  Is this intentional?  Or should the program ask for a password when it opens up / opens a different .dat file?

Electrum works like Bitcoin-qt with respect to this question: only your private keys (needed to spend money) are encrypted, not the entire wallet file.
I believe many design decisions used in Bitcoin-qt are good and should be followed.

Here are the reasons behind this choice:
- the user password is required only for signing transactions, so that private keys remain unencrypted in memory only for a few millisecond. This makes is very difficult for another program to read them.
- if the entire wallet file was encrypted with an additional password, some users would probably use the same password for the wallet and for the private keys, or (even worse) they would encrypt only the wallet, and not reencrypt the private keys. Thus, providing such an option would actually make the software less secure.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
louisBSAS

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 02:11:57 PM

I agree.   

I would not be here talking to you today, if there were no problem with bitcoin-qt.  The mandatory update to 0.8.1 in May rendered my offline wallets (and online wallets) "corrupt".  The wallet.dat files were not corrupt, they just could not be read by the update. 

For that reason, I started looking for something that makes sense.  I used bitcoin0.6.3 to extract my private keys and it opened my 'corrupt' wallet.dat files perfectly, and Electrum imports them perfectly.  I will not use the bitcoin-qt client again. 

I don't see a button to add contacts (I have many).  That feature would be useful.
Also, some contacts have many wallet addresses, and I always confirm the name and address when sending.  Both should be visible in the contacts list.

dermo

Activity: 336

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 02:17:02 PM

can't wait the new build of electrum  Grin

Keep going your awesome work !!!
btcven

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 02:01:57 PM

I agree.   

I would not be here talking to you today, if there were no problem with bitcoin-qt.  The mandatory update to 0.8.1 in May rendered my offline wallets (and online wallets) "corrupt".  The wallet.dat files were not corrupt, they just could not be read by the update. 

For that reason, I started looking for something that makes sense.  I used bitcoin0.6.3 to extract my private keys and it opened my 'corrupt' wallet.dat files perfectly, and Electrum imports them perfectly.  I will not use the bitcoin-qt client again. 

I don't see a button to add contacts (I have many).  That feature would be useful.
Also, some contacts have many wallet addresses, and I always confirm the name and address when sending.  Both should be visible in the contacts list.

Menu bar > Wallet > New contact

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.
louisBSAS

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 01:37:28 PM

Hello.

I just noticed - Electrum does not save contacts.  I tested this on Ubuntu as well as windows. Has anyone else run into this?

Jaxkr

Activity: 420

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 12:12:56 AM

Hello.

I just noticed - Electrum does not save contacts.  I tested this on Ubuntu as well as windows. Has anyone else run into this?
Yes. No saving of contacts or address labels on 1.8.
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 05:15:10 PM

And its still trying to force a min-fee of 0.0005btc. My choice of electrum was partly that it didnt enforce such fee. At least i can take the fee out before sending or lower it to 0.0001btc.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
drdops

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 10:29:04 PM

Im new to electrum (and bitcoin) so apologies if this is in the wrong thread.
Ive created my wallet on an offline machine and then exported the public key into another electrum wallet for online transactions using the restore function.
The  online wallet never requested i set up a password- is this because its seedless and i cant spend with it or am i missing something?
Also say my offline machine were to die how would i go about getting coins into a wallet that i can send from?
Any other security measures with regards to the wallet I need to ensure?

thanks
Tachikoma

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2013, 10:47:00 PM

The  online wallet never requested i set up a password- is this because its seedless and i cant spend with it or am i missing something?

This is correct.

Also say my offline machine were to die how would i go about getting coins into a wallet that i can send from?

Remember your twelve words so you can restore it again if something happens to your offline wallet.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks | Bytesized Seedboxes BTC/LTC supported
drdops

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 10:51:08 PM

This is correct.

Remember your twelve words so you can restore it again if something happens to your offline wallet.

Thanks.
Am I misunderstanding?- I thought the 12 words were the seed- and that when I restored from seed it would turn into a seedless wallet-ie one that I cant send from?
drdops

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 12:28:54 AM

sorry guys- figured it out- i was confusing the seed with master public key-so restoring with seed doesnt make it a seedless wallet.

PS Thanks to everyone involved in creating this great piece of software- it now feels as if i have the security side of things taken care of.
yxt
Legendary

Activity: 3528
Merit: 1116

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 01:22:01 AM

Thank you. Would be useful. I dont want to put work on you but i thought that the original client is missing an importfunction. Maybe a csv-import for payments. If electrum would have such feature it would be great. Most group buys will have tables with payments, creating a csv out of it would be easy. Then import it and you have a big transaction very easy.
Only saying... Smiley

i pledge 0.25 for this feature

and only as a small reminder:

My offer regarding free shipping for all Electrum developers and server operators
still stands in my roll as official ASICMINER reseller in Europe
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=246020.0

BTCKano Pool██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██
██
██
██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
harningt

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 06:54:13 AM

Thank you. Would be useful. I dont want to put work on you but i thought that the original client is missing an importfunction. Maybe a csv-import for payments. If electrum would have such feature it would be great. Most group buys will have tables with payments, creating a csv out of it would be easy. Then import it and you have a big transaction very easy.
Only saying... Smiley

i pledge 0.25 for this feature

and only as a small reminder:

My offer regarding free shipping for all Electrum developers and server operators
still stands in my roll as official ASICMINER reseller in Europe
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=246020.0

What sort of behavior would you like?

CSV w/ 1st column of addresses and 2nd column of amounts?

UI:

Import Transaction Queue
  -> Open File Open Dialog for CSV
  -> Upon 'Open' show confirmation with total amount to send
  -> On confirm, send

Good?
harningt

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 07:33:59 AM

Awesome - decided to hack it out to test.

I added a new button "Import transaction CSV" underneath the "Import raw transaction". Hooked it up to a function that:

* Opened up CSV file dialog
 * Open file, reading CSV taking 1st column as address, 2nd column as BTC value - converting to satoshi as mktx outputs array needs
 * Save off wallet seed to variable to prevent unwanted signing
 * Called wallet mktx to generate unsigned transaction object
 * Restored wallet seed
 * Prompted create_process_transaction_window which allowed raw viewing of the transaction to be sent and signing it

... odd thing I noticed, though... the coin outputs for spending were there, but no associated address, in fact is showed None .. (guessing something lost in translation w/ raw transaction processing)

For CSV, would you want to ignore 1st row since it is typically a header w/ descriptions or treat it raw?

I can fork and submit a pull request if needed.

Happy to accept coins (for this - 16Ad3kT79J4bUtpKACKTBbwDwJgykwGf5h Smiley - either directly to me or the Bitcoinstarter project I have... on whatever conditions you like. Can fork tomorrow and push if you like.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 »
  Print  

Jump to: