Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:44:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum - Bitcoin client for the common users (friendly and instant)  (Read 110004 times)
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1020

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 04:41:56 PM

Have you tied rebuilding the QR code with an image editor. Once you fix the target in bottom left it should stand a better chance of scanning. Add some variations on the last 2 lines until you get one that scans. The error correcting built in may be good enough to work but it won't work without the targets for framing properly.
I'm brute forcing my seed as Thomas suggested, 15 aws servers working on it right now...

Unfortunately Thomas used the low (level L) ECC, so only the 7% of the code can be corrupted. I did some tests, even erasing 7 bits of information from the picture it didn't work anymore.

I hope the brute force way to work.

Maybe I will leave some bitcoin on the wallet and share the uncensored picture, so that the craziest of you can enjoy the challenge.

I learned a lot today!

It should be possible to manually read most of the data from the code. I have quite some experience with qr codes: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30981     If you can trust me I will be glad to help for a reasonable bounty.

The image I posted that I tough was from the electrum bitcoin wallet was instead of the litecoin electrum wallet.
So, the only chance now is to brute force the password. (Almost impossible)
remember the password or dig deep to find a piece of paper with the seed?

I don't remember the password nor i took a copy of the seed, i installed Electrum only to try it, i didn't want to send any money to it.
I remember to have invented a password that very night thinking hey, who cares if i lose it? Let's just try.

My only hope is that it was something composite with another password i usually use, so brute forcing it might be feasible.

I think at the money as lost, it might be the smarter move.

Maybe in a year it will be worth brute forcing. Reminds me that I never wrote down the seed for my electrum testing client either.  Roll Eyes

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 04:44:30 PM

Maybe in a year it will be worth brute forcing. Reminds me that I never wrote down the seed for my electrum testing client either.  Roll Eyes
It probably is a 12 characters password... Maybe my grandchild will brute force it. I will leave them in my testament.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
flatfly
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1016

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 05:45:28 PM

Maybe in a year it will be worth brute forcing. Reminds me that I never wrote down the seed for my electrum testing client either.  Roll Eyes
It probably is a 12 characters password... Maybe my grandchild will brute force it. I will leave them in my testament.

2 more tips from a different perspective...

- open a notepad and try to imagine yourself choosing a weak password for something you don't care much about (registering for a forum, etc) - actually type the passwords that naturally come to your mind. Once you've got a few, try them in electrum.

- this is a long shot, as I'm not very familiar with OSX, but if you didn't configure encryption right away when you first installed Electrum, try to use OSX's Time Machine feature to search for the oldest version of the electrum.dat file that you can find. That one should be unencrypted and have no password!

matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2013, 07:58:34 PM

Is there any easy instruction about on how to connect to Electrum over I2p and Tor.

1) Use the browser/vidalia Tor bundle
2) set electrum proxy to 127.0.0.1:9050
- can't remember if it's http or socks. To get the proxy option you need the "classic gui" and click on the green circle bottom right

Isn't there any Electrum servers within I2p or Tor?

BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2013, 12:32:26 AM

Is there any easy instruction about on how to connect to Electrum over I2p and Tor.

1) Use the browser/vidalia Tor bundle
2) set electrum proxy to 127.0.0.1:9050
- can't remember if it's http or socks. To get the proxy option you need the "classic gui" and click on the green circle bottom right

Isn't there any Electrum servers within I2p or Tor?
I believe slush still runs one. See here,
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=113116.0

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 07:13:06 AM

hey guys,

I have to suggestions for improving my favorite bitcoin client:

• in qt-gui, receiving tab: add column "tx" like in gtk gui
  • change the logic that decides how many new adresses to generate to "count adresses that have a label as used"

regarding the latter point: I know I can set the gap limit. I just had to increase it from 5 because the 5 newest adresses have all been "used up" in the sense that I set a label and gave them out, not in the sense that they received any money yet.

Also regarding gtk gui (which I use because of the tx column): where are the preferences? For example: how to set gap limit in gtk gui?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Tachikoma

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2013, 08:25:34 AM

The TX column is already present in the QT-Gui. You just need to switch to advance mode to see it. Open QT-Gui press the tools icon and switch "Receive tab" to "Advanced". The TX column should show up now.

I don't think anybody is actively updating the GTK gui, but I could be wrong, I would recommend using the QT one as default.

I have had the problem you described and considered doing something similar, the solution however feels "dirty". It changes something very critical not even generating addresses but also when restoring from seed.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks | Bytesized Seedboxes BTC/LTC supported
adrelanos

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 06:06:45 PM

Hi Thomas,

for better security, can you post your gpg fingerprint here please?
Tachikoma

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2013, 06:41:48 PM

Won't this suffice?

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks | Bytesized Seedboxes BTC/LTC supported
adrelanos

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 08:49:52 PM

Hi Thomas,

No. The page is not accessible over SSL, so anyone can mitm it. Anyone could create such a profile.
Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2013, 08:56:53 PM

Hi Thomas,

No. The page is not accessible over SSL, so anyone can mitm it. Anyone could create such a profile.
I didn't realize bitcoin-otc doesn't have an SSL cert Sad

dave111223
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2013, 05:59:59 AM

When using electrum for Windows (windows 7) is there a way to switch wallets?

I tried holding <shift> then opening the program as I've seen that this is supposed to open it in command line mode, but doesn't seem to work?

Currently to switch wallets I have to manually go to C:\Users\*\AppData\Local\ -> Rename the wallet folder that i want to use to "Electrum".  If you have a couple of different wallets for different businesses this can be kind of a pain.

Is there a way I can setup a shortcut that opens Electrum and uses a specific wallet?  (So I could have a shortcut for on my desktop for each wallet)

ANSWERED MY OWN QUESTION:

• Right click on the Electrum shortcut
  • Choose "Properties"
  • Set the "Target" field to something like this:
Code:
"C:\Program Files\Electrum\electrum.exe" -w C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\customwallet\electrum.dat

Change the C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\customwallet\electrum.dat to the location of your wallet file.
Tachikoma

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2013, 08:41:15 AM

Holding shift is specific to FlatFly's build, the normal builds don't support it.

Last I heard command line options were not working on the official Windows build, but Slush should be able to give a definite answer on the topic. 

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 02:44:25 PM

The TX column is already present in the QT-Gui. You just need to switch to advance mode to see it. Open QT-Gui press the tools icon and switch "Receive tab" to "Advanced". The TX column should show up now.

I don't think anybody is actively updating the GTK gui, but I could be wrong, I would recommend using the QT one as default.

thanks, found the advance mode and now have tx column in qt gui. cool.

I have had the problem you described and considered doing something similar, the solution however feels "dirty". It changes something very critical not even generating addresses but also when restoring from seed.

What do you mean by that? I've switched gap limit from 5 to 10. When I created the wallet I left it set at 5. Would I have problems when restoring the wallet from seed?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Tachikoma

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2013, 04:02:08 PM

As long as you use the same gap limit, no. I was referring to using labels as factor if a address is in use. (if I remember correctly)

Parazyd

Activity: 812
Merit: 587

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2013, 02:49:35 PM

Is it possible to use a specific server?
Tachikoma

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2013, 03:29:46 PM

Sure don't you have a server select pop-up during wallet restoration?

SomeWhere

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 03:40:33 PM

There is a bug in the ordering of dependent transactions from the same block:

https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum/issues/146

Also, more importantly, Electrum has DNS leaks when using Socks and is thus jeopardizing privacy & anonymity when using Tor.

https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum/issues/147

Does someone ever read the bugs submitted on github by the way? Wink
Tachikoma

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2013, 03:47:22 PM

Hah, you are funny.

18 hours without a response, how could those developers do that, don't they know you deserve a instant reply on any issues you might find!

Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2013, 04:55:00 PM

Hah, you are funny.

18 hours without a response, how could those developers do that, don't they know you deserve a instant reply on any issues you might find!
I don't think he was commenting on the time to respond, but asking if the devs actually use github's issue tracker.  Not everyone does.  etotheipi (armory dev) for example prefers messages in the forum thread.

Thanks for the bugs SomeWhere.  I hadn't noticed that when doing my Tor tests because I've been using the hidden services.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 »
  Print  

Jump to: