Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 02:45:07 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 ... 151 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] ECC  (Read 259321 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
DonQuijote
Legendary

Activity: 1551
Merit: 1002

♠ ♥ ♣ ♦ < ♛♚&#

View Profile
June 22, 2015, 11:52:24 AM

I will be putting a link to the correct blockchain up as soon as it uploads to mega. please download that blockchain. replace it with the one you have and use the 2.4.5 wallet. i will be talking with bleutrade tonight about making sure everything is ok with them. DO NOT TRADE COINS ON ALLCOIN. THE EXCHANGE IS NOT STABLE OR SAFE

thank you
-griffith
Bleutrade and BlockExplorer are on the correct blockchain and updated??

THE INGENIOUS GENTLEMAN DON QUIXOTE OF LA MANCHA
♠ ♥ ♣ ♦ < ♛♚♝♞♜ BTC tip: 39gUUFdJBdKWXnLoh3PMNX9eUz3DwakBKq
iju76

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2015, 11:56:10 AM

Works fine here...

I can not open  mega.co.nz

kiklo
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 22, 2015, 12:00:44 PM

we found out this morning that somehow the wallet did a rollback of 4844 blocks and reconnected 94 blocks to what it thinks was a better chain. im not sure how it determined this, but it is clearly wrong and the code itself will be looked into. until then please upgrade to wallets 2.4.5 (will be posted in a second) which contain a few fixes plus a fix for this blockchain error

FYI:
Chain Reorganization
The term "blockchain reorganization" is used to refer to the situation where a client discovers a new difficultywise-longest well-formed blockchain which excludes one or more blocks that the client previously thought were part of the difficultywise-longest well-formed blockchain. These excluded blocks become orphans.
Chain reorganization is a client-local phenomenon; the entire bitcoin network doesn't "reorganize" simultaneously.

What probably happened
ECC current difficulty is very low, someone started their wallet and did not make sure their wallet was synced before they started minting, so they had enough coins staking that it created a longer chain or a longer chain with more difficulty than the current blockchain, this caused the reorg.

Ways users can stop this in the future, everyone should encrypt their wallets and only begin minting after fully synced or you need someone with a massive amount of coins to stake 24x7 to make sure the current chain has a longer length with more difficulty.
Only way the Dev can stop it is , if you setup a checkpoint server to secure the blockchain from reorgs.
Basically put out a checkpoint every few hours.

Cool

BarTeam

Activity: 313
Merit: 250

HGPUPC addicted!

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2015, 12:06:02 PM

we found out this morning that somehow the wallet did a rollback of 4844 blocks and reconnected 94 blocks to what it thinks was a better chain. im not sure how it determined this, but it is clearly wrong and the code itself will be looked into. until then please upgrade to wallets 2.4.5 (will be posted in a second) which contain a few fixes plus a fix for this blockchain error

FYI:
Chain Reorganization
The term "blockchain reorganization" is used to refer to the situation where a client discovers a new difficultywise-longest well-formed blockchain which excludes one or more blocks that the client previously thought were part of the difficultywise-longest well-formed blockchain. These excluded blocks become orphans.
Chain reorganization is a client-local phenomenon; the entire bitcoin network doesn't "reorganize" simultaneously.

What probably happened
ECC current difficulty is very low, someone started their wallet and did not make sure their wallet was synced before they started minting, so they had enough coins staking that it created a longer chain or a longer chain with more difficulty than the current blockchain, this caused the reorg.

Ways users can stop this in the future, everyone should encrypt their wallets and only begin minting after fully synced or you need someone with a massive amount of coins to stake 24x7 to make sure the current chain has a longer length with more difficulty.
Only way the Dev can stop it is , if you setup a checkpoint server to secure the blockchain from reorgs.
Basically put out a checkpoint every few hours.

Cool

Why not just allow to send stake if after having 99% (or something workable) of the last known full sync?
kiklo
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2015, 12:18:31 PM

Why not just allow to send stake if after having 99% (or something workable) of the last known full sync?

99% is not fully synced and can still cause reorgs if the wallet has enough ecc staking to overpower everyone else. Unless a checkpoint server is used to prevent it.

Cool

FYI:
This is only an issue for ECC, because their are not enough people staking 24x7 with enough coins to secure the blockchain.
Limx Dev
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1348

View Profile
June 22, 2015, 12:26:53 PM

Thx for Update

Bitcore BTX - a UTXO fork of Bitcoin - since 2017
___██ WebSite
██ Telegram
___██ Github
██ Github - Releases/ Wallets
___██ SBTX Pancakeswap
██ ChainzID Explorer
___██ UTXO fork
██ Coinmarketcap.com
BarTeam

HGPUPC addicted!

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2015, 12:29:15 PM

99% is not fully synced and can still cause reorgs if the wallet has enough ecc staking to overpower everyone else. Unless a checkpoint server is used to prevent it.

Cool

FYI:
This is only an issue for ECC, because their are not enough people staking 24x7 with enough coins to secure the blockchain.

humm.. what about distributed checkpoints? the distribution of checkpoints is expensive right?... does it make sense? Not quite seeing the implications of it... throwing ideas..
basically it would act as a sort/of voting system inside checkpointing.
kiklo
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2015, 12:38:43 PM

humm.. what about distributed checkpoints? the distribution of checkpoints is expensive right?... does it make sense? Not quite seeing the implications of it... throwing ideas..
basically it would act as a sort/of voting system inside checkpointing.

Not familiar with distributed checkpoints, post a link to it's details or a coin using it.

Only checkpoints , I am aware of are hard checkpoints coded into the wallet or checkpoints send out by a checkpoint server.

Cool
BarTeam

HGPUPC addicted!

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2015, 12:55:34 PM

Not familiar with distributed checkpoints, post a link to it's details or a coin using it.

Don't know if it exists... I was just throwing an idea.. that kind of makes sense for the problem.. instead of relying on a central checkpoint trust, endure multiple checkpointers with a voting mechanism. Each host can basically be a checkpoint of himself. The way he trusts on that checkpoint can be averaged with the network hash of the available checkpoints by other clients. Then decide for which checkpoint to go for.

If there is no checkpoint to be trusted, then default to your own checkpoint and repeat the process again later until you are in sync and with the same average checkpoint as others. The checkpoint trust can also be averaged with the amount of uptime of the client to prevent multiple client attacks. In a startup situation, I would say that only a trust/forcing mechanism would work.. but both mechanisms can coexist... fixed checkpoint and distributed one. The default would be static if a minimum uptime checkpoint is not found. Solving the initial network startups...

really messy this thoughts... well.. just ideas...
Griffith (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
June 22, 2015, 01:31:03 PM
Last edit: June 22, 2015, 02:08:37 PM by Griffith

kiklo i would agree with you BUT.
it reorganized 4844 blocks to replace it with only 94 blocks. so the chain wasnt longer which is why i dont understand why there was a reorg, i thought it was decided based on length not difficulty

nevermind i do agree, i will add a few checks for staking start like the chian is in its iniial downlaod and the max reorg size can be is 50 blocks? (or is that limit on reorg length not a good idea)

at this time i do not believe bleutrade is on the correct chain. please DO NOT SEND TO OR WITHDRAW FROM THEM until i post. DO NOT USE ALLCOIN. and i will contact the BE in a second

i can confirm that if you start 2.4.5 with NO bootstrap and just let it run. it will eventually sync by itself, i have gigabit internet and i tested it last night. i started a new wallet on a computer that i wasnt running it on with no bootstrap and it is half synced right now (no restarts)

edit: BE contacted

if anyone has any suggestions id be more than happy to take them.

on the birghter side, i actually do have a group of people that ive been in contact with that actually want to invest ECC and possibly super (they arent a big fan of the super annon). by invest i mean  buy coins and hold them for X months for long term profits. so ill post more on that when i learn more about what exactly is going on
kiklo
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2015, 02:31:01 PM

nevermind i do agree, i will add a few checks for staking start like the chian is in its iniial downlaod and the max reorg size can be is 50 blocks? (or is that limit on reorg length not a good idea)

at this time i do not believe bleutrade is on the correct chain. please DO NOT SEND TO OR WITHDRAW FROM THEM until i post. DO NOT USE ALLCOIN. and i will contact the BE in a second

The only ways I've seen it done so far,
Zeit , we have enough wallets with enough coins running 24x7 to secure the blockchain
Hobonickel , uses a checkpoint server to secure their blockchain.
NXT , uses a rolling checkpoint , basically only allowing a reorg of up to 720 blocks which is 12 hours.

A max reorg of 50 blocks would protect the blockchain, but I don't know if it could cause any other issues.
If you want it every 50 blocks a checkpoint server would be safer, IMO.
If you go rolling checkpoint then I would guess the number of blocks created in a 6 or 12 or 24 hour range.

Cool
Griffith (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2015, 02:57:00 PM

The only ways I've seen it done so far,
Zeit , we have enough wallets with enough coins running 24x7 to secure the blockchain
Hobonickel , uses a checkpoint server to secure their blockchain.
NXT , uses a rolling checkpoint , basically only allowing a reorg of up to 720 blocks which is 12 hours.

A max reorg of 50 blocks would protect the blockchain, but I don't know if it could cause any other issues.
If you want it every 50 blocks a checkpoint server would be safer, IMO.
If you go rolling checkpoint then I would guess the number of blocks created in a 6 or 12 or 24 hour range.

Cool

i really dont think there is any reason a secure chain should roll back more than like 20 blocks anyway. but yeah. ill do some checks based on time and what not, thats probably better than a hard block limit
kiklo
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2015, 03:28:29 PM
Last edit: June 22, 2015, 08:45:42 PM by kiklo

i really dont think there is any reason a secure chain should roll back more than like 20 blocks anyway. but yeah. ill do some checks based on time and what not, thats probably better than a hard block limit

Did not mean it had to be time based , just that nxt choose 720 hard block limit, which would take 12 hours.
Things to consider , is if one of the internet backbones go down and segment some of the wallets , then they would have to redownload the blockchain since their wallets would has passed the reorg window if it is too short.
Now what would be cool, is if you could place a Lock on the wallet blockchain, that the default condition only allows so many blocks to reorg, but you can unlock the blockchain reorg if you ever get segmented so it can reorg without downloading the entire blockchain. This would cancel the concern over network segmentation.

Cool

FYI:
Meant internet backbones , not backbones nodes on the ecc network.
http://scoreboard.keynote.com/scoreboard/Main.aspx?Login=Y&Username=public&Password=public
Griffith (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2015, 04:29:36 PM
Last edit: June 22, 2015, 06:49:41 PM by Griffith

Did not mean it had to be time based , just that nxt choose 720 hard block limit, which would take 12 hours.
Things to consider , is if one of the internet backbones go down and segment some of the wallets , then they would have to redownload the blockchain since their wallets would has passed the reorg window if it is too short.
Now what would be cool, is if you could place a Lock on the wallet blockchain, that the default condition only allows so many blocks to reorg, but you can unlock the blockchain reorg if you ever get segmented so it can reorg without downloading the entire blockchain. This would cancel the concern over network segmentation.

Cool

interesting thoughts. a blockchain shouldnt have a backbone set of nodes. but smaller coins always do. lik ECC. we have a ring of 10 nodes i know are all connected to each other to form that ring. (by all connected to each other i mean each of the 10 is connected to the other 9). we are tying to grow that number as well.  i will be working at fixing the reorg issue for a while today.

edit: i may have a surprise for everyone tonight. not sure
iju76

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 04:48:02 AM

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR WALLETS TO THE 2.4.5 VERSION, LINKS ARE ON THE TRUSTEDCRYPTOS WEBSITE (also in the OP)

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BLOCKCHAIN FROM THE NEW BOOTSTRAP https://mega.co.nz/#!SBslFYRL!EEugxUetXCwbtOFf23lppbCOfw0IItosff1syYbUBo8 (will also be posted on the OP)

If you DO NOT DO THIS you will be on the wrong chain

Hi dev, I can not open mega.co.nz, give a link to another file hosting
mdtspain
Legendary

Activity: 1076
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 08:21:38 AM

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR WALLETS TO THE 2.4.5 VERSION, LINKS ARE ON THE TRUSTEDCRYPTOS WEBSITE (also in the OP)

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BLOCKCHAIN FROM THE NEW BOOTSTRAP Mega :https://mega.co.nz/#!SBslFYRL!EEugxUetXCwbtOFf23lppbCOfw0IItosff1syYbUBo8

Dropbox :https://www.dropbox.com/s/wvof6ct3voavx6a/ECCoin.zip?dl=0
(will also be posted on the OP)

If you DO NOT DO THIS you will be on the wrong chain

Hi dev, I can not open mega.co.nz, give a link to another file hosting

I have uploaded the blockchain to Dropbox. https://www.dropbox.com/s/wvof6ct3voavx6a/ECCoin.zip?dl=0
iju76

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 08:42:32 AM

I have uploaded the blockchain to Dropbox. https://www.dropbox.com/s/wvof6ct3voavx6a/ECCoin.zip?dl=0

OK.thank
goldmaxx

Activity: 894

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 09:10:08 AM

Any updates on the cryptobank application?

regards

Goldmaxx

___crypto___

Activity: 60
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2015, 06:28:26 PM

Is there still any development for SuperCoin?
The coin looks dead to me... Hope I'm wrong

and why is the Super Blockexplorer not working anymore?
https://blockexperts.com/super  Huh
DonQuijote
Legendary

Activity: 1551
Merit: 1002

♠ ♥ ♣ ♦ < ♛♚&#

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 07:31:58 PM

Im reading about nodes, i can help.
vps.me gives a free vps, if somebody want create a node i could install on this free vps  Wink

THE INGENIOUS GENTLEMAN DON QUIXOTE OF LA MANCHA
♠ ♥ ♣ ♦ < ♛♚♝♞♜ BTC tip: 39gUUFdJBdKWXnLoh3PMNX9eUz3DwakBKq
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 ... 151 »
  Print  

Jump to: