Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 11:55:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  
Author Topic: pirate payments list -- accounts paid: 23/459  (Read 62166 times)
VelvetLeaf

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 02:55:07 AM

I wonder what the next scam will be now that he got away with this one.

The collapse of zero fee mining pool ?
We know zero fee is unsustainable yet people still mine there.

BTC : 1GN81dxzxyFPQsyAtdocXr5S9Mcg4wcfFG
LTC : LgmYvXsYXc4xdjsMKXJWqtagxVvioK6iaw
FC : 6dpSnKMtttUUYzaRu1EB7Lu18PBRVHU3V7
ErebusBat

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 03:08:50 AM

And I don't believe it for a second, but payb.tc has already been accused of running his own Ponzi with bitcoinmax. It draws attention away from Pirate. Goat's noble refusal to hand over personal info to Pirate has also earned him some flak.
If paybtc were running a ponzi I am sure pirate would have blown the lid.

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2012, 03:11:17 AM

This is why we cant have nice things.

finkleshnorts

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 03:11:17 AM

And I don't believe it for a second, but payb.tc has already been accused of running his own Ponzi with bitcoinmax. It draws attention away from Pirate. Goat's noble refusal to hand over personal info to Pirate has also earned him some flak.

Right, but that didn't stop him from being accused, which was at least a little bit distracting.
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 03:42:17 AM

Right, but that didn't stop him from being accused, which was at least a little bit distracting.

to be fair though, it was mainly zyk that was accusing me, and noone ever really knows for sure what he's saying.
isthisreallife

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2012, 06:47:56 AM

I've resisted commenting on this drama because I didn't want to add to the noise. Obvious scam or not, the bitcoin community should not be attacking itself over this. Saying "I told you so" only helps the ego of those saying it, and certainly doesn't make bitcoin look any better to the average joe who's learning about bitcoin.

Since it appears yet another bitcoin scammer is going to get off scot free I can no longer bite my tongue. It is bad for bitcoin if Pirate is let off. Why are his "lenders" still so silent? Why is Pirate being allowed to make ridiculous demands when people know his identity? Even if Pirate is going to pay out (as unlikely as that seems) his actions have been far from honourable and his lenders deserve restitution.

Eyes on the prize people! Don't let this scumbag manipulate you into turning on each other or make unreasonable demands. It is his lenders who should be the ones making demands, and half a million dollars of debt should more than justify some pretty serious action.
finkleshnorts

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 07:36:40 AM

to be fair though, it was mainly zyk that was accusing me, and noone ever really knows for sure what he's saying.

I lol'd. So true.

Good point, I didn't remember who said it.

I've resisted commenting on this drama because I didn't want to add to the noise. Obvious scam or not, the bitcoin community should not be attacking itself over this. Saying "I told you so" only helps the ego of those saying it, and certainly doesn't make bitcoin look any better to the average joe who's learning about bitcoin.

Since it appears yet another bitcoin scammer is going to get off scot free I can no longer bite my tongue. It is bad for bitcoin if Pirate is let off. Why are his "lenders" still so silent? Why is Pirate being allowed to make ridiculous demands when people know his identity? Even if Pirate is going to pay out (as unlikely as that seems) his actions have been far from honourable and his lenders deserve restitution.

Eyes on the prize people! Don't let this scumbag manipulate you into turning on each other or make unreasonable demands. It is his lenders who should be the ones making demands, and half a million dollars of debt should more than justify some pretty serious action.

+10
EskimoBob
Legendary

Activity: 910

Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 07:41:33 AM

+10

While reading what I wrote, use the most friendliest and relaxing voice in your head.
BTW, Things in BTC bubble universes are getting ugly....
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2012, 07:41:45 AM

Saying "I told you so" only helps the ego of those saying it, and certainly doesn't make bitcoin look any better to the average joe who's learning about bitcoin.
Right, it's all the fault of the people begging and pleading to get others to listen and not the fault of those who refuse to listen. What the community needs is a 100% consistent vocal "this is a scam" response to everything that has the hallmarks of a scam. When scams break, the community needs a 100% consistent vocal "you were told that was a scam" response. What looks bad to the average Joe is someone saying "prove this is a scam" when it's an *obvious* scam. A community that is 100% intolerant of scams would look nice.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
finkleshnorts

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 07:49:55 AM

Saying "I told you so" only helps the ego of those saying it, and certainly doesn't make bitcoin look any better to the average joe who's learning about bitcoin.
Right, it's all the fault of the people begging and pleading to get others to listen and not the fault of those who refuse to listen. What the community needs is a 100% consistent vocal "this is a scam" response to everything that has the hallmarks of a scam. When scams break, the community needs a 100% consistent vocal "you were told that was a scam" response. What looks bad to the average Joe is someone saying "prove this is a scam" when it's an *obvious* scam. A community that is 100% intolerant of scams would look nice.

That's also a good point.

Personally, I'm generally very timid to come out and say when I think something looks like a scam when no one else does. It's become easier for me to jump on the "scam!" bandwagon as of late, thanks to Joel, Micon, Gavin et al speaking their minds.

I think one possible solution worth exploring would be to create a seperate domain for anything under "marketplace," as Gavin recently suggested.
isthisreallife

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2012, 09:02:06 AM
Last edit: September 04, 2012, 09:19:02 AM by isthisreallife

Right, it's all the fault of the people begging and pleading to get others to listen and not the fault of those who refuse to listen.

Saying "I told you so" after the event is not helpful. I didn't claim anyone was at "fault", though that is plainly Pirate and those who gave him money. Trying to warn people of a possible scam should of course be encouraged. Though take it from this newbie, the tone of the discussion has not helped the vibe around this place, and some people on both "teams" have acted disgracefully.

What the community needs is a 100% consistent vocal "this is a scam" response to everything that has the hallmarks of a scam.

Agree 100%

When scams break, the community needs a 100% consistent vocal "you were told that was a scam" response.

Why? I'm all for promoting personal responsibility, but being punished by losing money serves this purpose well. The only purpose served by screaming "I told you so" is making someone look like a bit of douche.

What looks bad to the average Joe is someone saying "prove this is a scam" when it's an *obvious* scam. A community that is 100% intolerant of scams would look nice.

Agreed again. But there is always going to be disagreements in any community. Pirate has brought out the worst in many, not just in those who gave him money IMHO.

Even though I don't stand to lose in this drama, I still feel it is good for bitcoin if Pirate is held accountable. Nothing would suggest to this noob the bitcoin community is "100% intolerant of scams" more than if we put differences aside and got a resolution to this mess.
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2012, 09:18:00 AM

Even though I don't stand to lose in this drama, I still feel it is good for bitcoin if Pirate is held accountable. Nothing would suggest to this noob the bitcoin community is "100% intolerant of scams" than if we put differences aside and get a resolution to this mess.

+∞

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
P4man

Activity: 518

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 09:26:26 AM

Saying "I told you so" after the event is not helpful.

Maybe not, but the opposite, ie pointing fingers or  even putting labels on people who not only didnt "tell you  so", but in fact strongly argued the opposite (claiming something was not a scam), would be very helpful indeed. Perhaps it would make people think twice before defending a potential scam(mer) and reduce the weight their words carry next time a potential scam surfaces. Having those very same people rate current schemes with AAAs in a stickied post for sure isnt helpful.

JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2012, 10:16:57 AM

Why? I'm all for promoting personal responsibility, but being punished by losing money serves this purpose well. The only purpose served by screaming "I told you so" is making someone look like a bit of douche.
You're assuming the set of people who encouraged others to invest and the set of people who lost money are somewhat more overlapping than they are likely to be. In fact, many of the encouragers are probably people who did profit or at least sought to profit from the scam. Holding them accountable is just as important as holding other scammers accountable. Anyone who recommended that people invest in an obvious Ponzi or made clearly nonsensical arguments (especially those who insinuated they had inside knowledge they didn't actually have) should be held accountable, just as Pirate should be.

A very good example are PPT operators who are on record as saying that they believed this was a Ponzi scheme, but nevertheless sought to personally profit by increasing the losses others would ultimately suffer. They knowingly paid Pirate to make their customers the recipients of fraudulent transfers.

Personally, I'm willing to give indirect scammers a pass on responsibility for this one. I don't think it was clear to them the responsibility they had for what was going on. So long as a lesson is learned here, I don't see any benefit to a witch hunt. (Plus, if there was a full reckoning, a lot of good people would be in that list. You all know who you are. If you knowingly profited from the Pirate Ponzi, even if you also suffered losses, this means you.) This a one time offer.

myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2012, 10:53:16 AM

A very good example are PPT operators who are on record as saying that they believed this was a Ponzi scheme, but nevertheless sought to personally profit by increasing the losses others would ultimately suffer. They knowingly paid Pirate to make their customers the recipients of fraudulent transfers.

If they said, publicly, that they thought it was a ponzi, but were going to offer pass-throughs anyway, that's no different than the open ponzis run on here earlier.

Any customers of those PPT ops not only bought into something they couldn't prove wasn't a ponzi, they bought into something the guy selling to them told them was probably a ponzi. It's not the PPT's fault that their customers willingly bought into something they've been told repeatedy was most likely a ponzi.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2012, 11:35:29 AM

If they said, publicly, that they thought it was a ponzi, but were going to offer pass-throughs anyway, that's no different than the open ponzis run on here earlier.
I agree.

Any customers of those PPT ops not only bought into something they couldn't prove wasn't a ponzi, they bought into something the guy selling to them told them was probably a ponzi. It's not the PPT's fault that their customers willingly bought into something they've been told repeatedy was most likely a ponzi.
True, but if someone comes to me looking to hire a hitman to kill their wife and I help them find a hitman to kill their wife, then I'm as responsible as the hitman for the death of their wife. This is true even if I hired them a reputable hitman and fully complied with all my obligations to the person who came to me.

The issue is not whether the PPT operators breached their agreement to their investors. The issue is whether the PPT operators knowingly hired Pirate to make their customers the recipients of fraudulent transfers. If so, they're share the guilt with Pirate for those transfers.

If you are a PPT operator and you knew that Pirate was likely operating a Ponzi scheme, then you paid Pirate to make your customers the recipient of fraudulent transfers, payments from sources you know were told that their money would go to legitimate investments and where you knew that the payments to you were in fact not legitimate investments at all.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 02:38:52 PM

I have to admit I agree with his. Near zero commnication, not answering simple and cordial questions from his trusting lenders... I just don't understand why he is acting like this.

Maybe because he is a scumbag?  He has a half dozen lawsuits, criminal charges, and foreclosures.  I mean this isn't coming out of left field.  

He probably isn't acting now, this is Tredon Shavers.  The friendly Pirate was the act but that only lasted while you had something he wanted.  Now he has your coins there is no need for that anymore. Twisting the knife is just payback for all the times he had to be nice and patient to the marks.  Hint: you aren't an investor, you aren't a creditor, you are the mark.  It would be like asking why the guy who mugged you wasn't more cordial.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 02:57:37 PM

I have to admit I agree with his. Near zero commnication, not answering simple and cordial questions from his trusting lenders... I just don't understand why he is acting like this.

Maybe because he is a scumbag?  He has a half dozen lawsuits, criminal charges, and foreclosures.  I mean this isn't coming out of left field.  

He probably isn't acting now, this is Tredon Shavers.  The friendly Pirate was the act but that only lasted while you had something he wanted.  Now he has your coins there is no need for that anymore. Twisting the knife is just payback for all the times he had to be nice and patient to the marks.  Hint: you aren't an investor, you aren't a creditor, you are the mark.  It would be like asking why the guy who mugged you wasn't more cordial.
There is more than one act going on. "I just don't understand" is also an act.

Of course BrightAnarchist understands why Pirate isn't communicating, but the act helps to hold the knowledge at bay.
EskimoBob
Legendary

Activity: 910

Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 03:35:50 PM

LOL Smiley
You can update that bull shit number to:

Code:

| ~boatstat
Mqrius | <pirateat40> Total Accounts Repaid: 66/128 (subject to whimsical information)

At least it looks better Smiley

While reading what I wrote, use the most friendliest and relaxing voice in your head.
BTW, Things in BTC bubble universes are getting ugly....
Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 04:11:03 PM

Yeah, that payback list is complete BS since there are some fairly reputable members on this forum who have said publicly that they supplied the required info and yet received nothing.

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  

Jump to: