Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:38:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 [206] 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 ... 496 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage  (Read 1382129 times)
Golftech

Activity: 2128
Merit: 520

View Profile
December 03, 2016, 10:15:34 PM

Why has the value dropped so much i sold this at 135 sats.
Showing little uptrend now hoping it is ready to move back to its best price again i used to sell this as well when it is still on its peak hopefully with this updates we will see another good value with one and the progress will continue good luck dev team.
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Valerian77

Activity: 437
Merit: 255

View Profile
December 04, 2016, 05:40:23 AM

is there a way to use wildcards with the SIA renter? I have uploaded some files with foreign characters in the filename and cannot delete them anymore

still have that problem - suggestions?
betaboot

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 04, 2016, 07:41:15 AM

is there a way to use wildcards with the SIA renter? I have uploaded some files with foreign characters in the filename and cannot delete them anymore

I have asked the devs on Slack, let's wait for their answer...
Can't you just copy the filename from the file-list and insert it into the command?
Nthused
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 04, 2016, 08:20:44 AM

Probably because SIA is one of the coins available to Dual mine, so if Mining ETH or Decred you basically get SIA for free and what do you do with free stuff ? Cheesy
Valerian77

View Profile
December 04, 2016, 07:38:08 PM

Can't you just copy the filename from the file-list and insert it into the command?

I tried it (and a lot of other work arounds) and was not successful  Sad
betaboot

Activity: 42

View Profile
December 05, 2016, 05:43:14 AM

I tried it (and a lot of other work arounds) and was not successful  Sad

An answer from the devs: It is not (yet) possible to use wildcards in the CLI but it should be possible to select and delete the files in the UI. In the UI it is also possible to select a range of files with Shift+Click.
Valerian77

View Profile
December 05, 2016, 10:19:21 PM

I tried it (and a lot of other work arounds) and was not successful  Sad

An answer from the devs: It is not (yet) possible to use wildcards in the CLI but it should be possible to select and delete the files in the UI. In the UI it is also possible to select a range of files with Shift+Click.

if I try it I get a "Sia-UI Files Error - no file known with that path"

maybe I just let the files where they are and ignore them (in hope that * and ? wildcards will be available sometime)

@betaboot  thank you for the effort Wink
tempestb

Activity: 729
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 07, 2016, 02:22:41 AM

I tried it (and a lot of other work arounds) and was not successful  Sad

if I try it I get a "Sia-UI Files Error - no file known with that path"

maybe I just let the files where they are and ignore them (in hope that * and ? wildcards will be available sometime)

@betaboot  thank you for the effort Wink

For future reference, what foreign characters are a problem?  Can they be reproduced here?

1D7JwRnoungL1YQy7sJMsqmA8BHkPcKGDJ
We mine as we dream...  Alone
cristinah

Activity: 1

View Profile
December 07, 2016, 02:23:29 AM

Sia is an actively developed decentralized storage platform. Users all over the world contribute disk storage from their
computers to form a decentralized network. Anybody with siacoins can rent storage from this network, and hosts are
paid for their contributions. A combination of smart contracts, erasure coding, and encryption ensure secure, private,
and reliable decentralized storage. You can download and use Sia today! sia.tech

A smart contract on the blockchain ensures through the use of cryptographic proofs of storage that hosts are only paid
if they keep the file for the entire duration of the contract. Employment of erasure codes such as Reed Solomon codes
guarantees high file uptime even if most of the hosts on the network are unreliable or have frequent outages. All data is
encrypted client-side and padded, preventing hosts from snooping the contents of the files and even from guessing what
the file might be based on the filesize.

The distrubuted nature of the Sia network enables many optimizations in latency, throughput, reliability, and security.
The decentralized nature of the Sia network enables anyone with storage to get paid, lowering the barrier to entry and
reducing the overall price of cloud storage.

https://i.imgur.com/YIRWgML.png

https://i.imgur.com/WGL58uu.png

https://i.imgur.com/IIiWKFV.png

The Technology

The foundation of Sia is a proof of work blockchain. Storage contracts are a new type of transaction that get enforced
by the blockchain. Sia's hashing algorithm is blake2b. p2pool and multisig wallets are both supported on Sia.

When a file is uploaded to Sia, a storage contract is created containing the Merkle root of the file, a reward for the
host, and a penalty for the host (both in siacoins). After an agreed-upon duration, the host is required to prove that
the file is still available by providing a random Merkle proof. If the proof is valid, the host is rewarded; otherwise,
the host is penalized.  Random numbers are generated deterministically using the most recent block as a seed.

Sia has support for two way payment channels, and two way contract diffs.  Among other things, this provides massive
scalability, and eliminates the need for untrustworthy 0-confirmation transactions. Once you join a payment channel
network, all transactions within that network will be instant and final, with no risk of a double spend.

Reliability is achieved by using erasure coding in a massively distributed environment. Erasure coding allows a file to
be split into many pieces, such that the original file can be recovered using only a few of them. For example, you can
take a 50 MB file, break it into 200 pieces that are 1 MB each, and then you can recover the original file from *any* 50
of the pieces. This method has the same overhead as creating 4 complete copies of the file, yet is much more reliable
because it's much less likely that 151 out of 200 hosts will go offline than it is that 4 out of 4 hosts will go
offline.

As the network grows, we will apply statistical analysis to determine the redundancy required to provide 99.9999%
reliability on files. It is likely that 3x overhead is absurd overkill, and statistical analysis will give an accurate
picture of how much overhead is required.

Using 200 hosts to store a file means that downloads can be massively parallel. Even if the average Sia host does not
have quick upload speeds, the massive parallelism enabled by Sia means that downloads will be blazing fast anyway.  In
addition, you can choose to connect only to the datacenters that are the closest and the fastest. This optimization
(known as a CDN) is a hugely expensive project for a traditional cloud storage service, but for Sia it is a natural
consequence of the decentralized network.

As security is a top priority of Sia, all encryption is performed locally; the people storing your files will have no
ability to see what you have uploaded.  Not only is every file encrypted separately, every *piece* of every file is
encrypted separately, and hosts are not told which pieces are part of the same file.

The Cryptocurrency

Sia uses a new cryptocurrency, called the siacoin. The developers will mine the first 100 blocks or so before releasing
the code + miner to the public.  Other than these first blocks, there is no premine for siacoins.  The first block
reward will be 300,000 siacoins. Each block reward after that will be one siacoin smaller than the previous block reward
(299,999, then 299,998, and so on). When the block reward reaches 30,000, all remaining blocks will give a 30,000
siacoin reward. The block time is 10 minutes. Each siacoin is composed of 10^24 indivisible units.

The most important features of Sia can only be accessed by using siacoins. All storage contracts and all Sia payment
channels require owning siacoins. This requirement means that as Sia grows in usage, so too will demand for siacoins.
As demand grows, the price will increase. If Sia is being used for billions of dollars of storage, billions of dollars
of siacoins will be required. The value of the siacoin is inextricably tied to the amount of storage in use on the Sia
network.

Sia has a second cryptocurrency, called the Siafund. 3.9% of all successful storage contract payouts go to the holders
of the siafunds. There are 10,000 siafunds total, and all 10,000 are completely premined. Sia's parent company, Nebulous
Inc., holds approximately 8750 of these siafunds. The remaining siafunds were sold in a crowdfund which helped to
finance Sia's early development. The primary goal of siafunding is to provide a way to finance the development of Sia
without relying on donations or a premine. More people using Sia means more funding available to hire more developers.

Standard transactions are not subject to the fee, and neither are failed storage contracts (where the host was offline
or lost the file).

The Business Plan

The long term goal of Sia is to be the backbone storage layer of the Internet.  All long term storage will be performed
on Sia. All movies and music will be streamed from Sia. All images will be embedded from Sia. All businesses will use
Sia as a backend for cloud storage. Sia intends to replace Bittorrent, Amazon S3, Amazon Glacier, Microsoft OneDrive,
and all backend cloud storage services. We intend to fully disrupt a many billion dollar industry.

Sia is meant to be a Platform that other applications can build off of. The beta has a first draft API for developers to
use, found here.

Over the next few months, we are focusing on building out the api and creating an example application that replaces
Bittorrent. If you have ideas for things that you want to build which will use Sia, please get in touch with us. Sia is
completely open source, and you can use the API without getting explicit permission or paying any royalties or licensing
fees.

The Future

The promise of Sia is a decentralized network of small datacenters that, taken together, comprise the world's fastest,
cheapest, and most secure cloud storage platform. Today, being a major cloud storage player requires having datacenters,
building trust within the market, reaching customers, and competing with giants such as Amazon, Google, and Microsoft.
Breaking into this market is a multi-billion dollar endeavor.

Sia changes that, by enabling small, efficient datacenters to sell their storage without market trust and without a
marketing budget. Sia lowers the barrier to entry, and in doing so creates a wealth of cheap storage for its users.
Anyone with an Internet connection and a cheap source of storage can make money.

The long term goal of Sia is to become a serious competitor to existing cloud storage platforms, including Dropbox,
Google Drive, and OneDrive. We envision a future where even massive services such as Netflix and YouTube will use Sia to
deliver the best user experience to their customers.

We are looking forward to the data storage revolution. Help us make it happen.
coinling

Activity: 431
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 07, 2016, 10:39:29 PM

why is the inflation so high with this coin ?
any reasons for that?

tempestb

View Profile
December 08, 2016, 12:20:25 AM

any reasons for that?

Are you asking why it is worth almost nothing?  Narrow market, limited use, too many coins in circulation.  Over time it should get better, because it is necessary for storage contracts, but they're a long way from here to there.  Check back in a year.

clovis A.
Legendary

Activity: 1206
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 08, 2016, 06:09:13 AM
Last edit: December 08, 2016, 11:24:28 AM by clovis A.

any reasons for that?

Are you asking why it is worth almost nothing?  Narrow market, limited use, too many coins in circulation.  Over time it should get better, because it is necessary for storage contracts, but they're a long way from here to there.  Check back in a year.

Or, better yet, check back before then........I think if you wait a year, you'll very likely miss the bus. Version 1.1.0 will be released within the next couple weeks. I'm not saying Sia will moon, but 1.1.0 should be a nice start with the improvements slated for this release.  Not to mention, the Minebox launch should also be favorable for Sia.

http://us12.campaign-archive2.com/?u=28542349724534dc599e8f3e0&id=d7138a4fce

Join slack, if you haven't already.  Any additional questions or concerns you might have will be answered more quickly over there Smiley

|
|
s i a
|
|
|
|
|
Cloud storage is about to change
                          Are you ready?
AU_AG

Activity: 305
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 08, 2016, 11:54:05 PM
Last edit: December 09, 2016, 12:11:41 AM by AU_AG

any reasons for that?

Are you asking why it is worth almost nothing?  Narrow market, limited use, too many coins in circulation.  Over time it should get better, because it is necessary for storage contracts, but they're a long way from here to there.  Check back in a year.

HAHAHAHA

More like 5yrs. This Damn thing is at 27 sats. Devs are not pulling their weight per marketing/business model just filling their own ego by fixing small bugs here and there. Tell me a product that was released that worked 100%. None why. Because u put it out there generate income and fix it along the way. Look at the kings of industry Microsoft the biggest Bugs but with billionS in revenue, ford, gm, on and on. Its a good product but something else is going on. DEVS?

Tons of Great, Mind blowing inventions have gone nowhere because the public did not know abt them or never advertised. That's what I believe is the fate of SIA coin.
yhlsqj

Activity: 294

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 12:44:26 AM

any reasons for that?

HAHAHAHA

More like 5yrs. This Damn thing is at 27 sats. Devs are not pulling their weight per marketing/business model just filling their own ego by fixing small bugs here and there. Tell me a product that was released that worked 100%. None why. Because u put it out there generate income and fix it along the way. Look at the kings of industry Microsoft the biggest Bugs but with billionS in revenue, ford, gm, on and on. Its a good product but something else is going on. DEVS?

Tons of Great, Mind blowing inventions have gone nowhere because the public did not know abt them or never advertised. That's what I believe is the fate of SIA coin.

Sia is so good, I missed the last pump, the price was 3 sat, i should really collect some when sia was not famous. Sia is funded with VC, no wonder they don't need ICO, great project.

▄▄
                                ▄████▄
                              ▄████████▄
              ▄             ▄████████████▄
            ▄███▄         ▄████████████████▄
          ▄███████▄     ▄████████████████████▄
        ▄███████████▄ ▄████████████████████████▄
      ▄██████████████████████████████████████████▄
    ▄██████████████████████████████████████████████▄
  ▄██████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀
  ▀██████████████████████████████████████████████████▀
    ▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▀
      ▀██████████████████████████████████████████▀
        ▀███████████▀ ▀████████████████████████▀
          ▀███████▀     ▀████████████████████▀
            ▀███▀         ▀████████████████▀
              ▀             ▀████████████▀
                              ▀████████▀
                                ▀████▀
                                  ▀▀

MICROMONEY

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

MicroMoney for People & Big Data for Business

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

Reddit
Medium
Telegram
AU_AG

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 01:34:42 AM

whoa whoa SIA is funded by VCs' (Vencture Capital name)?

U still have time because its still not famous.
tempestb

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 04:09:09 AM

You're not investing in the company by purchasing Sia coins.  Sia coins don't gain value because the project takes off. 

Think about it.  You need to buy storage, so you buy some Sia coin.  You go to the Exchange and buy some coin.  You then pay the host for the storage.  The host sells the coin on the Exchange for bitcoin.  Price of SIA remains flat.  There are some middle men, as well, who take a percentage of the coins as part of an investment sale at the earlier stages of the project.

You might think that because Sia coins get locked up into contracts during the term of the storage purchase that this would raise prices.  But since storage is offered at a floating rate determined by the nodes, if the value increases they will ask for less coin, meaning less pickup.  If the rate decreases, they ask for more coin.  Effectively always keeping the value of Sia as close to zero as possible.  The only thing that raises the value is idiotic speculation that somehow Sia profits would go to Sia holders. 

It won't, because the node has an incentive to charge the least possible to get the most contracts filled, so the person with the smallest overhead can charge the least, and it's a race to the bottom.

Sia may be a good product, but the coin is dumb.

AU_AG

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 05:00:22 AM

You're not investing in the company by purchasing Sia coins.  Sia coins don't gain value because the project takes off.  

Think about it.  You need to buy storage, so you buy some Sia coin.  You go to the Exchange and buy some coin.  You then pay the host for the storage.  The host sells the coin on the Exchange for bitcoin.  Price of SIA remains flat.  There are some middle men, as well, who take a percentage of the coins as part of an investment sale at the earlier stages of the project.

You might think that because Sia coins get locked up into contracts during the term of the storage purchase that this would raise prices.  But since storage is offered at a floating rate determined by the nodes, if the value increases they will ask for less coin, meaning less pickup.  If the rate decreases, they ask for more coin.  Effectively always keeping the value of Sia as close to zero as possible.  The only thing that raises the value is idiotic speculation that somehow Sia profits would go to Sia holders.  

It won't, because the node has an incentive to charge the least possible to get the most contracts filled, so the person with the smallest overhead can charge the least, and it's a race to the bottom.

Sia may be a good product, but the coin is dumb.

Right. Exactly. Its the Dumb business side of the coin.

The Idea behind sia and its technical dev I have no problem with. Its the Business side. The generating of money the Exposure, etc, etc that is the problem with this coin. And will be left in the ashes of altcoin history if not thought about,
coinling

Activity: 431
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 06:24:55 PM

any reasons for that?

Are you asking why it is worth almost nothing?  Narrow market, limited use, too many coins in circulation.  Over time it should get better, because it is necessary for storage contracts, but they're a long way from here to there.  Check back in a year.

no,actually i wanted a technical answer why the inflation needs to be that high.

logictense

Activity: 2146
Merit: 518

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2016, 06:52:18 PM

whoa whoa SIA is funded by VCs' (Vencture Capital name)?

U still have time because its still not famous.

How much has been invested?

AU_AG

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 09:41:33 PM

any reasons for that?

no,actually i wanted a technical answer why the inflation needs to be that high.

it didn't need to be. The  devs over played their hand. They thought abt this coin like a currency strategy,  were everyone would want and need some to buy cloud space. But they over estimated the demand and here we are.
Pages: « 1 ... 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 [206] 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 ... 496 »
  Print  

Jump to: