Bitcoin Forum
June 01, 2024, 02:40:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Silk Road Founder Ross Ulbricht Sentenced to Life in Prison  (Read 50099 times)
Balls

Activity: 338
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 09:28:14 AM

im so glad im not in the US, its insane there.

RU provided a serivce, how can he be blamed, for some kid choosing to take the drug or any other person, where is the personal responsibility?

the whole war on drugs is stupid beyond reason.

I don't disagree that the war on drugs is stupid and utterly futile, but Ross is still a criminal in the eyes of the law with money laundering and facilitating the sale of drugs... and then of course the hits he tried to put out on people. I would have had some respect and sympathy for him and supported his freedom had that not happened.
mishax1
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1017

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 09:41:03 AM

RU provided a serivce, how can he be blamed, for some kid choosing to take the drug or any other person, where is the personal responsibility?

I don't disagree that the war on drugs is stupid and utterly futile, but Ross is still a criminal in the eyes of the law with money laundering and facilitating the sale of drugs... and then of course the hits he tried to put out on people. I would have had some respect and sympathy for him and supported his freedom had that not happened.

We can all agree that his sentence was by far too hard for a website owner..  as if hes a drug cartel who personally killed people and distributed drugs..  in that case, we can also convict the us gov for printing the money allowing people to buy guns and drugs..

Balls

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 10:35:44 AM

We can all agree that his sentence was by far too hard for a website owner..  as if hes a drug cartel who personally killed people and distributed drugs..  in that case, we can also convict the us gov for printing the money allowing people to buy guns and drugs..

That's not the same. The money wasn't created to explicitly buy illegal things but this market was. And just because he didn't personally kill anyone doesn't mean anything. Hiring someone to do the job is just as bad as the intention is the same. Had he not done that I'd have a totally different opinion of his but I think he certainly acted like a drug kingpin as the power of being one obviously went to his head.
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 10:39:48 AM

That's not the same. The money wasn't created to explicitly buy illegal things but this market was. And just because he didn't personally kill anyone doesn't mean anything. Hiring someone to do the job is just as bad as the intention is the same. Had he not done that I'd have a totally different opinion of his but I think he certainly acted like a drug kingpin as the power of being one obviously went to his head.

We can simple say the he searched the prison, you can't think to make illegal things for a long time and not be arrested... maybe if you know what you are doing (you can continue for a long time) but it seems that this is not the case.

Yes, it is not a shame... if you make illegal things you will be mostly imprisoned... we are not in an anarchy  Undecided.
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 10:42:38 AM

Yeah what tipped my opinion of him was the fact that there was suspicions that he ordered hits on people. It was never actually part of the charges against him - but I'm not exactly surprised that there were suspicions. I don't necessarily condone what he did with SR - but those hits really make me feel that he does deserve the life sentence he got in the end.
mishax1
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1017

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 10:52:42 AM

I think they didn't charge him for the alleged for ordering the hitman..  he also was not the one dealing with the illegal stuff that were sold on the platform.  

And if you really think that he was charged proportionally, how many people do you think went to jail for this act - http://www.bbc.com/news/business-32817114 ?  do you think that was also a fair charge ?
yatsey87

Activity: 840
Merit: 509

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 11:12:08 AM

Yeah what tipped my opinion of him was the fact that there was suspicions that he ordered hits on people. It was never actually part of the charges against him - but I'm not exactly surprised that there were suspicions. I don't necessarily condone what he did with SR - but those hits really make me feel that he does deserve the life sentence he got in the end.

Same, but it wasn't just suspicion. He actually did order them. Not only was he caught in the stings by the undercover cops but he kept journals and chat logs detailing the entire process of SR and the hits. He was very very stupidly niave and now he has paid the ultimate price.
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 11:55:37 AM

I could hardly condemn a man to life in prison based on "suspicions" of his hiring hit-men.  As you say, he was not found guilty of this.  Ultimately, he was not even charged with this.

You've fallen prey to a well-executed smear campaign.  You're not alone though.  Ross was both denied bail and denied advanced knowledge of those testifying against him based on these rumours.
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2015, 12:48:04 PM
Last edit: May 30, 2015, 02:38:08 PM by Beliathon

Same, but it wasn't just suspicion. He actually did order them. Not only was he caught in the stings by the undercover cops but he kept journals and chat logs detailing the entire process of SR and the hits. He was very very stupidly niave and now he has paid the ultimate price.
It is not unlikely that any "hitmen" he was talking to were actually government agents. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if they approached him, they get caught doing this sort of entrapment bullshit all the time.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
HarryPotHead

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

You are what you eat. PIZZA!

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 01:07:08 PM

Life in prison for that, it is disgusting I won't go in to details but there are men who have committed horrific crimes to both women and children. They seem to find the light of day after a few years. BS laws he is so unlucky as he could have left and lived the dream but greediness  Undecided

Balls

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 01:18:10 PM

I could hardly condemn a man to life in prison based on "suspicions" of his hiring hit-men.  As you say, he was not found guilty of this.  Ultimately, he was not even charged with this.

You've fallen prey to a well-executed smear campaign.  You're not alone though.  Ross was both denied bail and denied advanced knowledge of those testifying against him based on these rumours.

The smear campaign actually works both ways. I've seen lots of people willing to defend him as a saviour whilst ignoring all the other evidence of what he did or tried to do. He wasn't found guilty of the hitmen charges in this trial but the charges are still pending in another one as far as I'm aware. Ross was denied bail because he was an obvious flight risk regardless of the murder charges. He almost certainly would have tried to leave the country and he would of been stupid not to and granting him bail would have been even more stupid.
gambit1

Activity: 980
Merit: 508

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 02:05:48 PM

Balls is talking sense.

Blindly following power is a very bad thing but so is blindly opposing it. You are blind either way.

Apparently the logs show RU making shady deals with hitmen. If true then he is clearly a dangerous individual who's sense of power went to his head. We are talking about six people. One of the people was indeed an undercover agent, and if they were "entraping" him; good. This isn't entrapment for prostitution, he was trying to kill somebody.

The judge refered to this evidence as "powerful", not a term judges tend to use unless it is. He apparent was also targeting people living with an enemy. Even the mob don't hit the kids.

Even if RU was just playing with this stuff, he was playing "silly billiles" as we say around my parts.

I dislike all this whataboutery. What about the government doing this or that? What about it? Its a separate issue. Just because the governments crap doesn't mean one can do whatever one wants.

I feel badly for RU and have already told somebody off for mocking the fact he might get raped. However before I can say that his sentace is wrong I need to see how the other charges go. If he tried to have people "whacked" then in jail he belongs, plain and simple.
Beliathon

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2015, 02:33:45 PM

Apparently the logs show RU making shady deals with hitmen. If true then he is clearly a dangerous individual who's sense of power went to his head. We are talking about six people. One of the people was indeed an undercover agent, and if they were "entraping" him; good. This isn't entrapment for prostitution, he was trying to kill somebody.
This is a fair point, and I agree if he truly has such a callous disregard for life he doesn't belong in society. However, Ross hasn't faced trial for that alleged crime, so it's moot when discussing the life-without-parole sentence he just received. Innocent until proven guilty.

What about the government doing this or that? What about it? Its a separate issue. Just because the governments crap doesn't mean one can do whatever one wants.
Hypocrisy is never a separate issue. This cuts to the core of what justice is supposed to mean.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 02:42:52 PM

This is a fair point, and I agree if he truly has such a callous disregard for life he doesn't belong in society. However, Ross hasn't faced trial for that alleged crime, so it's moot when discussing the life-without-parole sentence he just received. Innocent until proven guilty.

What about the government doing this or that? What about it? Its a separate issue. Just because the governments crap doesn't mean one can do whatever one wants.
Hypocrisy is never a separate issue. This cuts to the core of what justice is supposed to mean.

Governments don't seek justice, individuals do. Governments seek control at the expense of justice.

GonnaGrinditout

Activity: 94
Merit: 11

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 02:47:30 PM

What I understand is that RU acted on his own, had no political connections.
It is not a secret that the organized crime have banks, corrupted politicals, hitmen, everything they need to do their business without too much obstacles, almost legit (unfortunately) - that is why they don't need bitcoin, computers and darknet.
RU is like holy water for justice, a good opportunity to say to the masses: "see! we fight drug traffic!"

≛≛≛BTC  HUGE 7 BTC WELCOME BONUS  BTC≛≛≛
☜☆☞☜☆☞☜☆☞ Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked☜☆☞☜☆☞☜☆☞
Beliathon

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2015, 02:56:25 PM

Governments don't seek justice, individuals do. Governments seek control at the expense of justice.
Yep, this is why all ethical people must seek to abolish government.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 02:57:04 PM

Life in prison for that, it is disgusting I won't go in to details but there are men who have committed horrific crimes to both women and children. They seem to find the light of day after a few years. BS laws he is so unlucky as he could have left and lived the dream but greediness  Undecided

Ross got life in prison, without parole for running a website which challenged the bankers' supremacy. On the other hand, Hillary Clinton has indirectly caused millions of deaths in Bosnia, Serbia, Libya.etc and she is running for POTUS now. If there is justice, then it should be applicable to everyone. You can't say that some people are very special, and the laws are not applicable to them.
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 03:08:43 PM

I agree. If in USA they sentence for such crime, for life, there is seriously something wrong with their law system.
I never put much interest in what he was accused off, but what i think of he should get max 10 years.
So what get the ones that kill someone by mistake? 10 lives?
mistercoin
Legendary

Activity: 1044

https://r.honeygain.me/XEDDM2B07C

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2015, 03:09:45 PM

How long is life in the States? Literally life?

Life is pretty severe, but I guess they needed to send a message.
All other controllers of deepweb black markets have now been put on notice.

What good will sending this sort of message do? Do they really think that people are going to stop creating darknet sites now? Good luck trying to take down decentralized ones that should be coming soon. I think this just shows how much we really need them.
Yeah really.. I think the seizure and arrests revolving around the original Silk Road only strengthened the resolve and the influence that other markets have now and will have in the future. Libertarian movements on the Darknet will almost definitely double their efforts to make a stand.

Its akin to pouring water on a grease fire.

jmurjeff

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 03:22:46 PM

I agree. If in USA they sentence for such crime, for life, there is seriously something wrong with their law system.
I never put much interest in what he was accused off, but what i think of he should get max 10 years.
So what get the ones that kill someone by mistake? 10 lives?

We do not have the best law system nor do we have the worst. But I will agree something is wrong with the system. The U.S. has more prisoners than any other nation in the world. This is absurd for a land that claims to be the land of the free. My biggest problem with the system is they charge the prisoner with fines that make no sense. Being charged millions of dollars more than what the individual ever made. They should change the legal system here because it is weighed heavily in the prosecution's favor. They get pretty much unlimited funding and they have been known to withhold evidence. Look at the public defenders, they get huge number of cases and limited funds.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  

Jump to: