Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 04:01:43 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Silk Road Founder Ross Ulbricht Sentenced to Life in Prison  (Read 50103 times)
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 04:46:07 PM

Frankly I was expecting a harsh sentence.

Yeah.. sure.. he should have been burnt at stake.

Do you, and the other pro-FBI types in this forum realize that the sentence handed out to him was much more severe, when compared to those given to hardcore drug lords who have been dealing with drugs for many decades?
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 04:53:07 PM

Do you, and the other pro-FBI types in this forum realize that the sentence handed out to him was much more severe, when compared to those given to hardcore drug lords who have been dealing with drugs for many decades?

Yes. I realize that very well.

You seem to be taking my post with a different point of view. When I said "I was expecting a harsh sentence" it didn't mean "I believe he deserved a harsh sentence". It simply meant "I expected the court to give him severe punishment" regardless of my personal opinion. In other words, I was not surprised the court did what it did; I was expecting them to act that way - no matter what we all felt was right or wrong.

Is that better way of explaining, or you still have trouble understading?
Blackbird0

Activity: 207
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 05:02:08 PM

Uh ... his sentence was pretty in line with other "hardcore drug lords" get. Life.
Blackbird0

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 05:06:38 PM

For those asking the judge gave a non-binding recommendation that he go to FCI Petersburg I in Virginia. If the public safety factor is not waived, the judge recommended he go to USP Tuscon in Arizona or USP Colemale II in Florida.

None of these are supermax?
Wikipedia says they are "High Security"

There's is only one so-called supermax facility, which is ADX Florence.
forevernoob

Activity: 687
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 08:12:43 PM

Uh ... his sentence was pretty in line with other "hardcore drug lords" get. Life.

Yeah, it's kinda strange that he didn't escape the US while had the chance. America has some of the toughest prison sentences in the world.
Did he really think his security was so good it was impossible for him to go down?
I doubt all the other dark market king pins are located in the US, although they might have better OP SEC.

For those asking the judge gave a non-binding recommendation that he go to FCI Petersburg I in Virginia. If the public safety factor is not waived, the judge recommended he go to USP Tuscon in Arizona or USP Colemale II in Florida.

Ok, so why is everyone talking about him go to a supermax prison. What are the chances of him going there?

Blackbird0

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 09:05:35 PM

Ok, so why is everyone talking about him go to a supermax prison. What are the chances of him going there?

People are talking about ADX Florence and "supermax," because people are really ignorant on this forum, and aren't really interested in knowing about the law and what's actually going on with Ulbricht's proceedings.

I think there are zero chances of him getting there. He has no history of personal violence and no history of in-prison violence and no prison-based support system (i.e. no prison gang).
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 09:20:40 PM

People are talking about ADX Florence and "supermax," because people are really ignorant on this forum, and aren't really interested in knowing about the law and what's actually going on with Ulbricht's proceedings.

I think there are zero chances of him getting there. He has no history of personal violence and no history of in-prison violence and no prison-based support system (i.e. no prison gang).

So are you a cop or an ex-con?

Malin Keshar

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 09:57:06 PM

Why someone that has not history of violence or and is not at risk of being killed would go straight to solitary Huh

Solitary is meant to be punishment
Blackbird0

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 10:00:29 PM

So are you a cop or an ex-con?

Neither.
subSTRATA
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1043

:^)

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 11:13:13 PM

Frankly I was expecting a harsh sentence. He was caught with his open laptop, signed in to silk road with admin account. They had all the evidence and logs from his laptop to prove anything they wanted.
It was very clear from the beginning that he couldn't get away with it and teh court will try to set an example out of this case to warn other dark web markets.

If he wasn't caught red-handed, then he could have had bigger chance to get out of it.

I remember reading that he requested from the cops to "call his girlfriend" to watch over his apartment while he was in jail, he ended up opening an app on his phone to encrypt all his data. just something interesting.

theres nothing here. message me if you want to put something here.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 02:41:26 AM

Zero chance.

So it seems that he'll be sent to the Federal Correctional Complex in Petersburg. Lol... isn't this is the same facility where a correction officer was arrested, while trying to smuggle heroin to the inmates? Seems like a pretty cool place. Ross might be able to win some favors, if he can shower money on the correction officers.
AJMax

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 03:12:52 AM

One less flunky to get in bitcoin's way. He fk'd with fire and now his ass is scorched.

Unless you think it's your right to fk around with other people without being fk'd back like a dumbass kid, there is little reason to sympathize.

Let's not btch and bulsht about technicality that allowed attempted murder charges to be dropped. He clearly thought he could act a kingpin boss behind a monitor and is now revealed to be what most of you are when you get called out for your intentions. The fact that he is a pathetic pssy does nothing to mitigate the fact that he was clearly messing above his paygrade.

The fact that most of you are all of a sudden so eager to nitpick and btch about legal technicalities and what is 'fair' when tables are turned tells any sensible individual how pathetic you all are, just like this kid.

Less kids and fools like him, the better. Now, if theymos or others involved in scams and delusional sense of untouchability are prosecuted, we can do away with the infant stage of crypto currency and finally move it all mainstream in a substansive way.  Cheesy
Bitcoinjesuslord

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 10:20:46 AM

his sentence will most likely be overturned on appeal .. life in prison for a computer crime is absurd even by draconian US standards
probably not.
The five crimes Ross Ulbricht was convicted of, for all of which he pled “not guilty,” include:

Aiding and Abetting Distribution of Drugs
Continuing Criminal Enterprise
Computer hacking Conspiracy
Fraud with Identification Documents
Money Laundering Conspiracy

"computer crime" is probably his smallest problem among them, the drug distribution conviction and criminal enterprise conviction got him the life sentences.
WhatTheGox
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 06:14:23 PM

his sentence will most likely be overturned on appeal .. life in prison for a computer crime is absurd even by draconian US standards
probably not.
The five crimes Ross Ulbricht was convicted of, for all of which he pled “not guilty,” include:

Aiding and Abetting Distribution of Drugs
Continuing Criminal Enterprise
Computer hacking Conspiracy
Fraud with Identification Documents
Money Laundering Conspiracy

"computer crime" is probably his smallest problem among them, the drug distribution conviction and criminal enterprise conviction got him the life sentences.

Yeah its not just computer crimes here they have painted him as a columbian drug lord on steriods.  Whatever the appeal gets him off i fear he still may be in prison for life. We'd be better off hoping for massive society change.  I still think supporting ross can help for him and greater change though.
funkenstein
Legendary

Activity: 1066
Merit: 1050

Khazad ai-menu!

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2015, 03:29:00 AM

The greatest failure in modern legal history

http://trilema.com/2015/the-greatest-failure-in-modern-legal-history-the-story-of-joshua-dratel/

"Give me control over a coin's checkpoints and I care not who mines its blocks."
http://vtscc.org  http://woodcoin.info
RawDog
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1026

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2015, 05:06:02 PM

Or even more severe than Oscar Pistorius - who killed a smoking hot girl by blowing her head off while she was taking a dump -

He only got 10 MONTHS

The US is tough man.  If you are going to fuck around - you gonna pay big time!  Better to just pack up and go to South Africa where getting away with murder is EASY!!!  ...and fun too.

*Image Removed* *Expletive Removed*  *Obsenity Removed*
What's going on - Slavetards?!!!
Watch my videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE43M1Z8Iew  1FuckYouc6zrtHbnqcHdhrSVhcxgpJgfds
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 05:18:22 PM

The US is tough man.  If you are going to fuck around - you gonna pay big time!  Better to just pack up and go to South Africa where getting away with murder is EASY!!!  ...and fun too.

The case with South Africa is different. During the apartheid regime, the government used to imprison Blacks and other colored people on cooked up charges, and then used to give them extremely harsh prison sentences. For example, Nelson Mandela was imprisoned in 1962 for treason, and he spent some 27 years in jail, until he was released as a part of the peace process. Another anti-apartheid activist, Billy Nair served 20 years in prison, from 1964 to 1984. When the ANC got power, they reduced the maximum prison sentences, taking in to account the apartheid era usage of prisons to detain anti-apartheid activists.

RawDog
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1026

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2015, 05:34:54 PM

The US is tough man.  If you are going to fuck around - you gonna pay big time!  Better to just pack up and go to South Africa where getting away with murder is EASY!!!  ...and fun too.

The case with South Africa is different. During the apartheid regime, the government used to imprison Blacks and other colored people on cooked up charges, and then used to give them extremely harsh prison sentences. For example, Nelson Mandela was imprisoned in 1962 for treason, and he spent some 27 years in jail, until he was released as a part of the peace process. Another anti-apartheid activist, Billy Nair served 20 years in prison, from 1964 to 1984. When the ANC got power, they reduced the maximum prison sentences, taking in to account the apartheid era usage of prisons to detain anti-apartheid activists.

Are you smoking crack again?  I was talking about how soft SA is.  You come and say they over sentence.  WTF?  

All I am saying, in some places, you walk for murder like pistorius.  In the US - smoke a joint and the man throws away the key.  Then you come in with the Nelson Mandela shit.  Man - you are fuckn twisted.  

"Blacks and other colored people"  -  good one.

Ross was a dumb mutherfucker for messing with the US.  You don't hide behind a silly tissue curtain and taunt the FBI into finding you.  He deserves life for being so stupid. 

*Image Removed* *Expletive Removed*  *Obsenity Removed*
What's going on - Slavetards?!!!
Watch my videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE43M1Z8Iew  1FuckYouc6zrtHbnqcHdhrSVhcxgpJgfds
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 05:40:52 PM

The U.S. isn't tough - it's fucked. It's the one of the worst criminal justice systems in the world and on par with Somalia.

The United State of America is the only country in the world where children as young as 13 years old have been sentenced to life in prison without possibility of parole. 2484 children have been sentenced as adults in the United States. Equal Justice Initiative (EJI) has documented 73 cases where children 13-14 years of ages had been condemned to death in prison. 70% of these children are minority. EJI attorneys had interviewed one Alabama inmate that is serving a life imprisionment for an offense that occurred when he was 15. Since being incarcerated in an adult prison, this boy has been repeatedly raped.  This boy's story is not unusual. Death in prison sentences are imposed in the United States are a rate at least three times higher today than 15 years ago. These children should be re-sentenced to parole-eligible sentences as soon as possible. It is a shame that the United State of America, known to be the land of opportunity and freedom, can be compared in terms of Juvenile Criminal Laws to one of the poorest countries in the word, with civil wars, pirates, and having the worst cases of human's rights violations for their civilians; "Somalia". The United States and Somalia are the only countries in the world with the death sentence for children ages 13,14,15,16,and 17 years old. 132 countries have rejected the death sentence altogether.

muhrohmat

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 05:45:41 PM

we do consern about the terror of nervose people or highly ilegal acts but the world and usa are not perfect this might go further and further on if the right power people do not act in good reasons

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  

Jump to: