Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 10:29:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Silk Road Founder Ross Ulbricht Sentenced to Life in Prison  (Read 50097 times)
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 05, 2016, 03:26:36 AM

He was running a website with the explicit purpose of selling illegal goods and services
Did he explicitly require that activity for participation? Just because it was thought by some to be an optimal medium for that activity, doesn't mean it was there for that explicit purpose. It was a website using TOR. TOR was created by the military. Neither the inventor of websites, nor the inventor of TOR created them for the purpose of illegal activity. If he was a fan of that activity, that also doesn't make it any more illegal than the publications available under the protection of the First Ammendment. If he participated in the activity of selling illicit goods and/or services, that would be another matter. Besides, these goods and services are not illicit everywhere his website served. His biggest mistake was being a US citizen.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
AliceWonderMiscreations

Activity: 182
Merit: 107

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2016, 07:48:58 PM

He was running a website with the explicit purpose of selling illegal goods and services
Did he explicitly require that activity for participation? Just because it was thought by some to be an optimal medium for that activity, doesn't mean it was there for that explicit purpose. It was a website using TOR. TOR was created by the military. Neither the inventor of websites, nor the inventor of TOR created them for the purpose of illegal activity. If he was a fan of that activity, that also doesn't make it any more illegal than the publications available under the protection of the First Ammendment. If he participated in the activity of selling illicit goods and/or services, that would be another matter. Besides, these goods and services are not illicit everywhere his website served. His biggest mistake was being a US citizen.

He doesn't have to require it.

It was clear however that he specifically encouraged it - hence why his operation was a criminal operation.

-=-

And his crime wasn't being a US citizen, his crime was breaking US law.

Being outside this country does not mean you can run a narcotics website that accepts business inside the United States.

Why do you think so many gambling web sites blacklist U.S. IP addresses?

Because if they didn't, they would be violating U.S. law and could be arrested if they ever came here - whether or not they are US citizens. Hell they don't even have to come here to be arrested if the country they are in has an extradition treaty with the U.S.

Know the laws of the country you are doing business in. Don't do business in countries where your business is illegal.

I hereby reserve the right to sometimes be wrong
kingaltcoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 09:25:26 PM

I have been hearing rumors that his life sentence would be lessened to 50 years.
I do not know if this is true.
Anyways I am also wondering what are the donation money being used for since no change has been done to the verdict after several attempts of appealing.
AliceWonderMiscreations

Activity: 182
Merit: 107

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2016, 09:31:32 PM

I have been hearing rumors that his life sentence would be lessened to 50 years.
Anyways I am also wondering what are the donation money being used for since no change has been done to the verdict after several attempts of appealing.

I'm not opposed to that, life I think was harsh.
For the crime he committed *and convicted of*, 10 years is probably just.

But it appeared to me that he was guilty of crimes that should get him life. However he needs to be tried for those crimes.

I hereby reserve the right to sometimes be wrong
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1373

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 01:27:47 AM

I'm not opposed to that, life I think was harsh.
For the crime he committed *and convicted of*, 10 years is probably just.

But it appeared to me that he was guilty of crimes that should get him life. However he needs to be tried for those crimes.

And, again. Ross never required that some harmed or damaged person come forward show the harm or damage that he did to them. In addition, there wasn't even evidence of harm or damage presented by government.

Since the above are required by law if the defendant requires them, it was Ross getting screwed by his attorneys who never suggested that he demand these things.

See http://voidjudgments.com/.

Any time that Ross wants to get out, he can declare the judgment against him a void judgment, and it needs to be done over, with the requirements being fulfilled. So, he is screwing himself, except if he likes his nice, cozy, warm place in prison.

Cool

Cure your cancer at home. Ivermectin, fenbendazole, methylene blue, and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) are chief among parasite drugs. Find out that all disease is based in parasites or pollution, and what you can easily do about it - https://www.huldaclark.com/.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 01:46:07 AM

Why is anyone still even thinking about freeing him. He's gone, it's over. Even if he was released he's a wasted shell of his former self by now. It's hard to live a normal life with PTSD. American prisons are not luxury retreats. His mind is fucked at this point.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 01:50:32 AM

He doesn't have to require it.

It was clear however that he specifically encouraged it - hence why his operation was a criminal operation.

-=-

And his crime wasn't being a US citizen, his crime was breaking US law.

Being outside this country does not mean you can run a narcotics website that accepts business inside the United States.

Why do you think so many gambling web sites blacklist U.S. IP addresses?

Because if they didn't, they would be violating U.S. law and could be arrested if they ever came here - whether or not they are US citizens. Hell they don't even have to come here to be arrested if the country they are in has an extradition treaty with the U.S.

Know the laws of the country you are doing business in. Don't do business in countries where your business is illegal.
Wise advice. Good thing they stopped drug trafficking in their country.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
forevernoob

Activity: 687
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 08:56:58 AM

Why is anyone still even thinking about freeing him. He's gone, it's over. Even if he was released he's a wasted shell of his former self by now. It's hard to live a normal life with PTSD. American prisons are not luxury retreats. His mind is fucked at this point.

You have been watching too many prison movies.
Last I heard he was tutoring inmates. I don't think he would be doing that if he had PTSD.

avikz
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 1500

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 09:01:14 AM

Sadly this is the reality. If you find anything which is against the interest of the regulator, you will be doomed.

It is not just USA, even in INDIA, if yu say anything against the ruling party, they will mark you as an anti nationalist. This is how fascism is running through the vains of the world leaders. Shame!

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 02:43:38 PM

Last I heard he was tutoring inmates. I don't think he would be doing that if he had PTSD.

You're wrong. Period.

Reality differs from public perception. Most members of the public will never visit a prison or talk to anyone who has experienced life behind bars. Prison takes offenders away from their families, marriages, jobs, friends, communities and churches and puts them in an extremely bad moral environment for years at a time. Social organization in prison revolves around vicious prison gangs, motivated by racism, hate, satanic influences and violence. Life among these mostly uneducated felons, including opposing gang members, the insane and the diseased, is generally unpleasant. Many prisoners are beaten, raped, brutalized or live in fear. Deviant and forced sex increases because members of the opposite sex are unavailable. Guards can be unpleasant and brutal. Annoying noises and bad odors are everywhere; sunlight and fresh air are limited. In most prisons today, overcrowding makes everything worse. Bland and unappealing food, clothing and extremely confining shelter are the norm. Freedom is gone. Some 16% of prisoners are mentally ill, and high percentages suffer from communicable diseases, including HIV-AIDS, hepatitis C, staph infections and tuberculosis. Families and friends often stop communicating with incarcerated family members. Boredom and inactivity take their toll. Depression is common. Suicide is 5 to 15 times greater than in the U.S. generally.

Offenders take on sick institutional values, procedures and thoughts. Prisonization or institutionalization often makes prisoners worse. While people on the outside are making money, having fun and learning things, the social contacts and skills, sanity, vocational prospects and remaining wealth of convicts decline. When released, many are branded for life as "felons." Yes, their food, clothing, shelter and most healthcare needs are met, but most everything that makes life enjoyable disappears while they rot in prison. It's pure myth that prisoners have it easy.

Taken from hrw.org a human rights watchdog organization.

pbleak
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 03:57:21 PM

The money is being used for his appeal. I'm not sure what you mean by several attempts at appeal unless you are confusing the appeal documents as each being different instances of the one?
pbleak
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 04:01:56 PM

You might think differently if you were him.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 04:23:04 PM

If anyone really had any sympathy for him they would call for the death penalty. That's far more humane than a life of mental and physical torture with the only positive outcome being the increase of profit for the Corrections Corporation of America.

funkenstein
Legendary

Activity: 1066
Merit: 1050

Khazad ai-menu!

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2016, 04:40:32 PM

If anyone really had any sympathy for him they would call for the death penalty. That's far more humane than a life of mental and physical torture with the only positive outcome being the increase of profit for the Corrections Corporation of America.

I guess you haven't spent much time in occupied north america.  Around here if you have a hundred friends, on average 2 or 3 of them are currently locked up as political prisoners.  More like ten of those friends have at one point been so locked up.  Being an incarcerated political prisoner, while not desirable, is not likely worthy of suicide nor your violent mercy.  Some people even come out having learned a thing or two. 

"Give me control over a coin's checkpoints and I care not who mines its blocks."
http://vtscc.org  http://woodcoin.info
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 04:51:53 PM

I guess you haven't spent much time in occupied north america.  Around here if you have a hundred friends, on average 2 or 3 of them are currently locked up as political prisoners.  More like ten of those friends have at one point been so locked up.  Being an incarcerated political prisoner, while not desirable, is not likely worthy of suicide nor your violent mercy.  Some people even come out having learned a thing or two. 

That's my point. He's not going to "come out having learned a thing or two". He's not going to come out at all.

That's really sad to think about. Two or three of your friends are occasionally fucked in the ass against their will and locked in a cage like an animal to quietly go insane from the boredom. Even being trapped on a deserted island alone for the rest of your life would be better than that. You might still go insane but your butthole would be intact.

forevernoob

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 05:02:10 PM

You're wrong. Period.

Reality differs from public perception. Most members of the public will never visit a prison or talk to anyone who has experienced life behind bars. Prison takes offenders away from their families, marriages, jobs, friends, communities and churches and puts them in an extremely bad moral environment for years at a time. Social organization in prison revolves around vicious prison gangs, motivated by racism, hate, satanic influences and violence. Life among these mostly uneducated felons, including opposing gang members, the insane and the diseased, is generally unpleasant. Many prisoners are beaten, raped, brutalized or live in fear. Deviant and forced sex increases because members of the opposite sex are unavailable. Guards can be unpleasant and brutal. Annoying noises and bad odors are everywhere; sunlight and fresh air are limited. In most prisons today, overcrowding makes everything worse. Bland and unappealing food, clothing and extremely confining shelter are the norm. Freedom is gone. Some 16% of prisoners are mentally ill, and high percentages suffer from communicable diseases, including HIV-AIDS, hepatitis C, staph infections and tuberculosis. Families and friends often stop communicating with incarcerated family members. Boredom and inactivity take their toll. Depression is common. Suicide is 5 to 15 times greater than in the U.S. generally.

Offenders take on sick institutional values, procedures and thoughts. Prisonization or institutionalization often makes prisoners worse. While people on the outside are making money, having fun and learning things, the social contacts and skills, sanity, vocational prospects and remaining wealth of convicts decline. When released, many are branded for life as "felons." Yes, their food, clothing, shelter and most healthcare needs are met, but most everything that makes life enjoyable disappears while they rot in prison. It's pure myth that prisoners have it easy.

Some 16% of prisoners are mentally ill

16 percent? And you think all inmates have PTSD or are mentally ill?
Please explain your reasoning. Also this is just general info about the current state of american prisons.
It is in no way related to what Ross is experiencing inside prison right now.

This is straight from the source: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/ross-ulbricht-is-tutoring-inmates-keeping-a-pet-mouse-in-prison

And from what I gather he is fine. Not in perfect harmony, but as good as it gets if you are in prison.

pbleak
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 05:06:35 PM

This is quite a radical path you have set out here. You are assuming everyone is incapable of handling a life sentence which is patently untrue since many, many people have and continue to do so. Further, since he has an appeal he may be released and so earn freedom again. He may be different, but freedom is freedom. Better to be fucked up outside than in.
pbleak
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 05:08:43 PM

You're wrong. Period.

Some 16% of prisoners are mentally ill

16 percent? And you think all inmates have PTSD or are mentally ill?
Please explain your reasoning. Also this is just general info about the current state of american prisons.
It is in no way related to what Ross is experiencing inside prison right now.

This is straight from the source: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/ross-ulbricht-is-tutoring-inmates-keeping-a-pet-mouse-in-prison

And from what I gather he is fine. Not in perfect harmony, but as good as it gets if you are in prison.

Indeed, he is handling things well. He's a smart dude after all.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 05:09:49 PM

Last I heard, "tutoring inmates" in Federal prison is equivalent to a desperate scream to use some lube.
Former idealist Ross Ulbricht is paying a very high price for his Silk Road adventure.

forevernoob

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 05:15:07 PM

Last I heard, "tutoring inmates" in Federal prison is equivalent to a desperate scream to use some lube.
Former idealist Ross Ulbricht is paying a very high price for his Silk Road adventure.

Read the article. He is fine.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 »
  Print  

Jump to: