Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:17:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Going after Trendon Shavers, Pirateat40, BTCST  (Read 48467 times)
thebaron

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 10:44:21 PM

I wonder if he was smart enough not to put all his eggs in one basket. There's other ways to withdraw wealth from BTC besides an exchange platform.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 10:47:50 PM

Pretty sure in texas they cant take his house. Also this is only the sec and not the fbi.

It depends.  Was funds from the scam used to make house payments.   If so then more than one district attorney has gone the "procedes of a criminal enterprise angle".  More common to deprive drug dealers of physical assets (that they could use for bail) but who knows.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 10:50:10 PM

Pretty sure in texas they cant take his house. Also this is only the sec and not the fbi.

The sec is trying to get a court order... why not do it first then tell pirate?

Seems like they have a weak case or something. Anyway 150000.... that wont go far even if collected.

yeah, I think it will be hard to get a conviction. Still, I didn't expect the SEC to do anything.

What would be hard about a conviction.  ponzi schemes are completely illegal.  Did he promise investors a return?  Did he pay investors from the deposits of newer investors? That is really all that is needed. Some financial crime can be very tough to prove but something is either a ponzi or not.  

The uncliensed security issue is even easier to prove.  He didn't register with SEC.  They simply needs to find one or more persons willing to testify that Pirate offered them an investment.  Note the word offered.  Proof that funds exchanged hands or securities were sold isn't even a requirement.

BTW though the SEC can't file criminal charges that would be the job of the Justice Dept.  Of course the SEC can hand over everything they have to them.  If Justice Dept doesn't move it probably has more to do with the small scale then any inability to secure a conviction. 
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 10:57:45 PM

Seems like they have a weak case or something. Anyway 150000.... that wont go far even if collected.

yeah, I think it will be hard to get a conviction. Still, I didn't expect the SEC to do anything.

What would be hard about a conviction.  ponzi schemes are completely illegal.  Did he promise investors a return?  Did he pay investors from the deposits of newer investors?

That is really all that is needed. Some financial crime can be very tough to prove but something is either a ponzi or not. 

BTW though the SEC can't file criminal charges that would be the job of the Justice Dept.  Of course the SEC can hand over everything they have to them.

If investments were made in US Dollars it would be far easier to prove he actually received the money, the pseudo anonymity of Bitcoin makes this complicated. Further the legal status of Bitcoin is far from certain. If I make a Ponzi in Eve Online/Wow will the SEC (or the justice department) prosecute me as well?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 11:03:57 PM

What would be hard about a conviction.  ponzi schemes are completely illegal.  Did he promise investors a return?  Did he pay investors from the deposits of newer investors?

That is really all that is needed. Some financial crime can be very tough to prove but something is either a ponzi or not. 

BTW though the SEC can't file criminal charges that would be the job of the Justice Dept.  Of course the SEC can hand over everything they have to them.

If investments were made in US Dollars it would be far easier to prove he actually received the money, the pseudo anonymity of Bitcoin makes this complicated. Further the legal status of Bitcoin is far from certain. If I make a Ponzi in Eve Online/Wow will the SEC (or the justice department) prosecute me as well?

Well per the press release he deposited 150,000 BTC on an exchange and then lost about half in day trading and then transfered ~$150K worth (USD) into a checking account.    If necessary getting the records of the exchange to obtain his deposit addresses wouldn't be very difficult. 

Investors BTC --->  Ponzi ---> His Exchange Account ----> USD in his checking account.
Scott J
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 11:06:55 PM

Pet rocks are serious business.
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 11:08:58 PM

Investors BTC --->  Ponzi ---> His Exchange Account ----> USD in his checking account.

I would imagine the above connection to be hard to prove.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 11:53:57 PM

Investors BTC --->  Ponzi ---> His Exchange Account ----> USD in his checking account.

Really?  With the exchange account in his name?  To withdraw $150K would require full KYC and docs.
To seize assets you require a warrant and that would require proving at least to a judge that there is sufficient cause.

Now if he had kept it all as BTC and sent them to a variety of encrypted and brainwallets that would be a lot harder.  Then again at least according to the press release Pirate was an idiot. I mean he lost the lion's share of what he stole.
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 12:00:22 AM

Really?  With the exchange account in his name?  To withdraw $150K would require full KYC and docs.

this.

or pirate would have to claim he got the btc some other way and it was his. like he mined it all back in 2009/2010...   i don't know. seems messy.

Guys the account is in his name sure. Good luck proving the connection with the (alleged) Ponzi though Bitcoins are Bitcoins. In a criminal case Trendon is the accused, he doesn't have to explain how he got the Bitcoins. The prosecution needs to prove how he got it beyond reasonable doubt. IANAL though
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 12:04:11 AM

Really?  With the exchange account in his name?  To withdraw $150K would require full KYC and docs.

this.

or pirate would have to claim he got the btc some other way and it was his. like he mined it all back in 2009/2010...   i don't know. seems messy.

Guys the account is in his name sure. Good luck proving the connection with the (alleged) Ponzi though Bitcoins are Bitcoins. In a criminal case Trendon is the accused, he doesn't have to explain how he got the Bitcoins. The prosecution needs to prove how he got it beyond reasonable doubt. IANAL though

But all they would have to do is link him to his pirateat40 account, the lowest charge they can throw at him is an unregistered security.

They still have to prove he received Bitcoins for the investment. (and even then convince the judge this is a value transfer)
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 12:22:19 AM

this.

But all they would have to do is link him to his pirateat40 account, the lowest charge they can throw at him is an unregistered security.

They still have to prove he received Bitcoins for the investment. (and even then convince the judge this is a value transfer)

Nope the mere offering of unlicensed security is a crime.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 12:54:16 AM

does it matter at all that this ruling was after he did what he did?

No.  This kind of thing annoys me because it creates a defacto run around the prohibition on ex post facto laws.  FINCen guidance is that the regulations ALWAYS applied to Bitcoin even before the creation of Bitcoin it applied to any theoretical virtual currency. The guidance was merely clarification of existing law/regulation.
thebaron

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 01:56:45 AM

Have you seen what you can buy on the Silk Road?
thebaron

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 02:03:32 AM

What confuses me is the value of cashing in all those BTC given at around $1.91 each. Unless they're counting each individual "day trade" in that, and him just cashing out his final balance after losses.
bigdude

Activity: 896
Merit: 500

Dolphins Finance TRUSTED FINANCE

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 02:06:29 AM

Front Page on Australian news

$4.5 million Bitcoin Ponzi scheme - Man charged in alleged Bitcoin scam

http://www.news.com.au/money/money-matters/man-charged-in-alleged-bitcoin-scam/story-e6frfmd9-1226684102340

RoadTrain
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 02:18:16 AM

Front Page on Australian news

$4.5 million Bitcoin Ponzi scheme - Man charged in alleged Bitcoin scam

http://www.news.com.au/money/money-matters/man-charged-in-alleged-bitcoin-scam/story-e6frfmd9-1226684102340

On Bloomberg as well.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-23/bitcoin-ponzi-scheme-alleged-by-sec-in-lawsuit-against-texas-man.html
User705
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 11:24:36 PM

I'm no lawyer, heck I don't even play one on TV LOL...

But reading the original complaint from the SEC Gov site, this appears to be a Civil complaint, not criminal.

https://www.sec.gov/litigation/complaints/2013/comp-pr2013-132.pdf

Any lawyers can comment?

~BCX~

Sec is only civil. But they will pass on the evidance they collected to everyone.

I can't picture any criminal prosecutor touching this with a ten foot pole.  Civil burden of proof is much lower and the remedies are just monies but criminal is a whole other level.  The proof required on various BTC issues will be a crazy mess for the prosecutor.  BTC addresses and BTC in them can't be owned in a legal sense and if they can be and are payment methods as well then BTC itself is likely an illegal security.  This is what happens when something revolutionary meets old laws.

MelMan2002

Activity: 461
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 01:18:27 PM

I'm no lawyer, heck I don't even play one on TV LOL...

But reading the original complaint from the SEC Gov site, this appears to be a Civil complaint, not criminal.

https://www.sec.gov/litigation/complaints/2013/comp-pr2013-132.pdf

Any lawyers can comment?

~BCX~

Sec is only civil. But they will pass on the evidance they collected to everyone.

I can't picture any criminal prosecutor touching this with a ten foot pole.  Civil burden of proof is much lower and the remedies are just monies but criminal is a whole other level.  The proof required on various BTC issues will be a crazy mess for the prosecutor.  BTC addresses and BTC in them can't be owned in a legal sense and if they can be and are payment methods as well then BTC itself is likely an illegal security.  This is what happens when something revolutionary meets old laws.

Seems to be moving forward:
http://www.ibtimes.com/federal-magistrate-says-bitcoin-real-money-he-allows-sec-suit-go-forward-ponzi-scheme-case-1375669?goback=.gde_3721050_member_264189881

19F6veduCZcudwXuWoVosjmzziQz4EhBPS
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 03:46:02 PM

This will continue to be a precedent setting case and I believe we'll see criminal prosecution of Trendon and maybe even some of the pass throughs.
ErebusBat

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 04:02:43 PM

This will continue to be a precedent setting case and I believe we'll see criminal prosecution of Trendon and maybe even some of the pass throughs.
As well as an official US legal opinion that bitcoin is legal tender?

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: