Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 03:58:40 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... 126 »
  Print  
Author Topic: How to teach kids about Bitcoin?  (Read 111784 times)
jayce
Legendary

Activity: 2996
Merit: 1506

Pie Baking Contest: https://tinyurl.com/2s3z6dee

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2015, 11:35:49 AM

For the first bolded part, I do think prices in FIAT change as well but it is much easier to explain and doesnt involve alot of decimal numbers to begin with and also that AFAIK most prices in FIAT will always increase . Rather with BTC, value is going up and down the whole day which is not understandable for kid

If you feel disturbed by decimal numbers in bitcoin, so just lets start with satoshi. Do we need to teach about volatility of currency to them? Just tell them about how use it.

For the second bolded part, it seems like this statement doesnt indicate thing about "teaching kids about BTC" but rather "buy them their favourite toys with BTC" .

As for the red colored part, this is what I keep on pointing from my previous post. Basically the price of each stuff are in FIAT which means that the value differ each day ( or even minutes ) which of course will raise awareness of kids on why such things happen and this is what my food for thoughts is. My question stands, what will you tell them about the value that is increasing and decreasing in a day?

P.S : this will be a question to anyone that wants to counter my argument as well, feel free to give a shot .

So, do you think the meaning of teaching is using a whiteboard and a markers to explain what the bitcoin is by an expert? No, if you just show them how buy something with bitcoin, it can be called as teaching too.

For the third bolded part, with just some numbers on a plastic you can get anything you want with a single click as well ( Im merely pointing this to Credit Card if you dont know what I meant ). Much easier to teach kids about some magical plastic card that could buy some stuff eh?

I have expected before that you would say about credit card. So, what thing would you teach to them? If you wanna teach kids about bitcoin, just focus to bitcoin. I am not comparing money with credit card here.

As for the fourth bolded part, it is almost the same as the second bolded part . It is nothing about teaching kids about it rather buy kids their favourite toys with BTC

For me, taking kids to shop and buy them some stuff is a teaching about how buy it for them.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
pigzone

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 26, 2015, 04:14:01 PM

I think its a smart idea teaching kids because
they'll need it in the future.
Clint

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 27, 2015, 01:53:01 AM

Tell them it's a video game, that way kids will get more interested. I've even encountered people in real life, who don't understand about bitcoin, never heard of such a thing, and actually think it's a virtual gaming coin. Give analogies with dollars and money. I say you can't teach them about btc without teaching about money first.

Gyfts
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1514

View Profile
June 27, 2015, 02:45:23 AM

In my opinion, I think teaching them the concept of it is first. Describing Bitcoin as an electronic, computer based currency would probably be my first exact words. Bitcoin can be a bit hard to understand at first. The idea of a decentralized currency is already far fetched to adults, let alone children so the idea of having a limited supply of BTC, and having price fluctuations, would be another thing on the top of my list to explain in depth.
jayce
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2015, 07:39:46 AM

Tell them it's a video game, that way kids will get more interested. I've even encountered people in real life, who don't understand about bitcoin, never heard of such a thing, and actually think it's a virtual gaming coin. Give analogies with dollars and money. I say you can't teach them about btc without teaching about money first.

Actually you can read the post by arallmuus above you. Bitcoin is not a video game, and kids can't get pleasures from it like video game. If you said adult people couldn't understand about bitcoin, then I think it will be harder for us to teach kids.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
Miracal

Activity: 350

View Profile
June 27, 2015, 07:41:29 AM

In my opinion, I think teaching them the concept of it is first. Describing Bitcoin as an electronic, computer based currency would probably be my first exact words. Bitcoin can be a bit hard to understand at first. The idea of a decentralized currency is already far fetched to adults, let alone children so the idea of having a limited supply of BTC, and having price fluctuations, would be another thing on the top of my list to explain in depth.

Yes, that's a smart idea. Dividing the concept of bitcoin book into a couple chapters, we can start with introduction. Introducing them to what it is, WHY we need it, why it needs us, etc. A couple mathematical problems and visual games to exercise the mind will be cool, so that we can teach them about price fluctuations and limited supply of btc. Calculation and conversion will also be easy for them then.
HigsonPP

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 27, 2015, 08:03:22 AM

Yes, that's a smart idea. Dividing the concept of bitcoin book into a couple chapters, we can start with introduction. Introducing them to what it is, WHY we need it, why it needs us, etc. A couple mathematical problems and visual games to exercise the mind will be cool, so that we can teach them about price fluctuations and limited supply of btc. Calculation and conversion will also be easy for them then.

There might already be books in the market which help a person understand the technicality and depth of the bitcoin study. Maybe said author can create a similar book with illustrations and simplified language along with math problems and puzzles. Might be a really great hit! Cheesy

Mehek

Activity: 154

View Profile
June 27, 2015, 08:50:38 AM

Sit with your kid and use bitcointalk and explain them what's happening in different threads and what people are talking about, peak his interests. It would be better to leave out the explicit language which is sometimes used here, though. Got that bitch? Wink
dblink

Activity: 252

View Profile
June 27, 2015, 12:49:28 PM

Kids or adults we should teach them that Bitcoin digital currency is Borderless. Bitcoin is a global digital currency, and a Bitcoin in Japan is the same as a Bitcoin in Sydney. It is not indigenous to one nation, and you should find plenty of people looking to buy your BTC in many of the countries you travel.

jayce
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2015, 02:55:14 PM

Kids or adults we should teach them that Bitcoin digital currency is Borderless. Bitcoin is a global digital currency, and a Bitcoin in Japan is the same as a Bitcoin in Sydney. It is not indigenous to one nation, and you should find plenty of people looking to buy your BTC in many of the countries you travel.

Its okay if government in your country has legalized it, but I don't know if it is good or not to teach kids about bitcoin in country where government is banning it. What the society think if you teach a kid something that being banned.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
stallion

Activity: 182

View Profile
June 27, 2015, 03:37:50 PM

Teach bitcoins the same way you will teach economics, man. A little theory and a little exercise problems. Relate it to reality and compare it with real scenarios. Explain it with real situations and have fun with it.

HarHarHar9965

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 27, 2015, 05:29:45 PM

Here's more to the story on The Guardian:

Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies are still a mystery to most adults, so teaching children how they work may seem a strange ambition.
Nevertheless, that's the aim of a new app, The Bitcoin Alphabet – for Kids and Everyone Else, released for Apple's iPad tablet this week by author Chris Bozak and publisher iKandy. The app is a mixture of illustrations and text explanations in plain English, and as its title makes clear, it has an eye on parents who don't know their blockchains from their hash rates, as well as their children.

Link to the app: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/the-bitcoin-alphabet/id896448231?mt=8
arallmuus
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1414

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2015, 08:06:18 PM

For the first bolded part, I do think prices in FIAT change as well but it is much easier to explain and doesnt involve alot of decimal numbers to begin with and also that AFAIK most prices in FIAT will always increase . Rather with BTC, value is going up and down the whole day which is not understandable for kid

If you feel disturbed by decimal numbers in bitcoin, so just lets start with satoshi. Do we need to teach about volatility of currency to them? Just tell them about how use it.

100,000 satoshis equal to 0.001 BTC and thats not even $1 yet. I dont mention anything about teaching them volatility and such but rather since the value of $1 to BTC always change due to the volatility it will be harder to teach rather than teaching kids to use FIAT

For the second bolded part, it seems like this statement doesnt indicate thing about "teaching kids about BTC" but rather "buy them their favourite toys with BTC" .

As for the red colored part, this is what I keep on pointing from my previous post. Basically the price of each stuff are in FIAT which means that the value differ each day ( or even minutes ) which of course will raise awareness of kids on why such things happen and this is what my food for thoughts is. My question stands, what will you tell them about the value that is increasing and decreasing in a day?

P.S : this will be a question to anyone that wants to counter my argument as well, feel free to give a shot .

So, do you think the meaning of teaching is using a whiteboard and a markers to explain what the bitcoin is by an expert? No, if you just show them how buy something with bitcoin, it can be called as teaching too.

There is a diiference between "teaching" and "showing" and basically what you are putting on as an example is merely showing. Teaching involves both theory and practice while showing is much more about practice

P.S : dont need to show me stuff about meanings in dictionaries anymore because I dislike to argue about "meanings" and such

The alphabet books about BTC is the best place for kids to start but this is quite contradicting with some actual daily words

Im quoting few words from the picture so :

Mining involves the solving of a very hard math problem

Telling kids that mining solves a math problem? This is not even suitable for kids because at their early ages it will be hard for them to understand what this exactly means. Mining is basically " getting some ore material " and telling them that mining solves math problems would be confusing for them

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
jayce
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2015, 06:23:19 AM
Last edit: June 28, 2015, 07:45:00 AM by jayce

There is a diiference between "teaching" and "showing" and basically what you are putting on as an example is merely showing. Teaching involves both theory and practice while showing is much more about practice

P.S : dont need to show me stuff about meanings in dictionaries anymore because I dislike to argue about "meanings" and such

LOL. Come on, how could you read my mind

We can just teach our kids in home about how we can buy a stuff with bitcoin. After that, we can practice that, and show them how bitcoin working. Isn't it same like study in school? You need to study theories of chemistry, then in next class you can practice it in laboratory. I mean, just teach them how do transaction with bitcoin. They don't need some complicated thing like inflation or volatility, let they learn that in high school.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
Erza
Legendary

Activity: 1078

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 08:40:31 AM

LOL. Come on, how could you read my mind

We can just teach our kids in home about how we can buy a stuff with bitcoin. After that, we can practice that, and show them how bitcoin working. Isn't it same like study in school? You need to study theories of chemistry, then in next class you can practice it in laboratory. I mean, just teach them how do transaction with bitcoin. They don't need some complicated thing like inflation or volatility, let they learn that in high school.

Bt whats the point of teaching them if they can't even earn it, if you just let them do transaction, I guess its too boring compare to let them do what

they can around that time. They are too young to know what bitcoin is and they also dont need it for now. If they can't earn and use it whats the

point of teaching them? After some years later they will forget it and going to start again from the beginning so it is just waste
jayce
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2015, 02:24:40 PM

Bt whats the point of teaching them if they can't even earn it, if you just let them do transaction, I guess its too boring compare to let them do what

they can around that time. They are too young to know what bitcoin is and they also dont need it for now. If they can't earn and use it whats the

point of teaching them? After some years later they will forget it and going to start again from the beginning so it is just waste

We can introduce kids about bitcoin, but the main point is don't force them to understand it. It's okay if they feel bored about it, and I don't mind if I always teach them about bitcoin everyday from the beginning. So, do you think after we teach them, they can be an economy expert or bitcoin businessman? No. They have their own world, and we teach them just a little part of bitcoin, which it can be used to pay their stuffs.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
arallmuus
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1414

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2015, 03:03:34 PM

-snip-

about how we can buy a stuff with bitcoin. After that, we can practice that, and show them how bitcoin working

Thats what my concern is to buy a stuff you need to put in the right amount needed. The value for $1 might be 0.003x BTC and it could be more or less by tomorrow or a day later. This could be confusing for kids especially that involves decimals and such.
If you are showing it 1 time then it is fine but of course since you mentioned practice as well , I'd assume that involves constant trial and within those trial the price of $1 is different each time I suppose

tl;dr : kids are kids, let them be it .

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
BitcoinNewbie15

Activity: 574
Merit: 296

Bitcoin isn't a bubble. It's the pin!

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 01:33:28 PM

I think some sort of animation or video game that is centered around Bitcoin or earning Bitcoin would be a great way to teach kids about Bitcoin. since kids are growing up in the technology age, they may be more likely to use Bitcoin and it may be easier for them to use it.
ifightformerkel
Legendary

Activity: 1386

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 01:49:32 PM

You can only teach kids with real bitcoin coins with that they can play and pay for fun.

When you show them something on the tv and will explain it then they will need a lot of more time to understand what bitcoin is.
jenifer0012

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 03:51:20 AM

It's important to introduce kids to the concept of Bitcoins since it seems to be the future of a global currency. People can create games which gives a kid an idea about bitcoins. then we can include them in the school syllabus, kids magazines etc. we just need to introduce them to a bitcoin and leave the rest on them. curious kids will begin reading more about them on their own

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... 126 »
  Print  

Jump to: