Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:24:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Bitcoin Foundation  (Read 127559 times)
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 03:23:10 PM

I think voting should be like a joint stock company. One vote per bitcoin you own

Good idea. In this case u need only to prove amount u own. No need to reveal real identity.
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 03:27:41 PM

Bitcoin+giving personal info+USA=incoming fail

just look at what happened to kim dotcom  Roll Eyes

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12968

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 03:32:27 PM

Requiring a 50 BTC deposit (or whatever) would be another way to prevent Sybil attacks. Perhaps this could be an alternative to giving out your identity.

Another possibility would be to have one of several third-parties verify your identity and give you an anonymous "voting token" using blind signing.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
The_Duke

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Lead Core BitKitty Developer

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 03:32:40 PM

I think voting should be like a joint stock company. One vote per bitcoin you own,

Wow, since the announcement of TBF that is the worst suggestion I heard. (nofi)
So first the few "bitcoin rich" set up their own club, but then you would base the voting power on how rich someone is?  Shocked

NOT a member of the so called ''Bitcoin Foundation''. Choose Independence!

Donate to the BitKitty Foundation instead! -> 1Fd4yLneGmxRHnPi6WCMC2hAMzaWvDePF9 <-
BitBlitz

Activity: 285

Turning money into heat since 2011.

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 03:41:49 PM

I think voting should be like a joint stock company. One vote per bitcoin you own,
Really??!? Before he disappeared, we didn't get all of Pirate's votes... Roll Eyes

I see the value of Bitcoin, so I don't worry about the price...
flower1024
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 03:49:14 PM

+111111111111

Gavin
Keep moving forward. You are doing a fantastic job. Don't get sidetracked by a few  critics. Most people here support you and even if not , they can create their own foundation or club.

i do support the bitcoin foundation
i just (and only) have the fear that mtgox uses this power to convince all bitcoin businness to copy his definition of tainted coins.

Why are you afraid of it? Did you steal anyone's wallet?

no,

i am afraid that i get "tainted" coins from another party (eg satoshidice, another exchange...)
Insu Dra

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 05:08:17 PM

I think voting should be like a joint stock company. One vote per bitcoin you own

Good idea. In this case u need only to prove amount u own. No need to reveal real identity.

Seriously ?

The voting systems used today are hacked, they are being used to hide and/or remove liability from the people making the decisions. Bringing liability back is a must if you want to live in a free world. I don't think any one has come up with a system that's 100% reliably ...

The only valet way to vote is by opting in or out (buy or don't buy, use or don't use), any other large scale voting system is open to fraud and manipulation.

To me "Votes" are only valid if all the people voting can be present in real life, all other "Votes" are just a way to see who thinks a idea is bad or good (to lesser degree how meany). For me anny other "Vote" is just a poll, it should be treated as such and have no binding obligations at all.

It is up to the person behind the vote/poll to pick the results he trusts and the solution he thinks is best. After that people need to have a choice and a way to opt in or out.

(I do believe in democracy even tho it doesn't sound that way, democracy just means people have the right to get a say in how things are done, in today's world people seem to have lost that right, I blame the voting system we use.)

"drugs, guns, and gambling for anyone and everyone!"
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 05:15:42 PM

Seriously ?

Anything that lets to stay anonymous looks like a good idea.
cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 05:16:53 PM

Well, thanks for the support. The majority of critics do not seem to want any hierarchical organization at all, so it is like herding cats.

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 07:05:04 PM

The majority of critics do not seem to want any hierarchical organization at all, so it is like herding cats.

We need an organization but non-hierarchical one. An organization of peers. P2P network.
BitBlitz

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 07:43:06 PM

We need an organization but non-hierarchical one. An organization of peers. P2P network.
Huh  Like in the forums, where we all agree on everything?

Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2012, 07:50:35 PM

Requiring a 50 BTC deposit (or whatever) would be another way to prevent Sybil attacks. Perhaps this could be an alternative to giving out your identity.

Another possibility would be to have one of several third-parties verify your identity and give you an anonymous "voting token" using blind signing.

50 BTC (or whatever) deposit, tied up for a minimum of a year (don't want somebody putting down 1,000 BTC deposits the day before a vote, voting 20 times, then canceling their 20 sockpuppet memberships and getting their deposit back immediately) is an interesting idea.

Call me paranoid, but I don't see many third parties who I would trust to not get hacked and to properly identify anonymous people. I don't see that third parties would have a strong incentive to do a good job at that. And delegating that piece of really core functionality feels like the wrong way to go to me.

For the record: I think it would be great to come up with an easier way for people to remain anonymous but still be Foundation members. I say "easier" because I'd guess with enough effort you could use a (physical) mail forwarding service and an anonymous email service to sign up with a fake identity. I suppose the mail forwarding service is like an identity-checking service.

RE: one vote per bitcoin: there seems to be some notion that Foundation member will be voting on things like "should a change to the core protocol be rolled out to support XYZ."

Umm, no. Foundation members will be voting for (and lobbying) board members who will decide things like "should the bylaws be changed to allow anonymous memberships" or "how much Foundation budget should be dedicated to X and how much to Y." The number of bitcoins you own has nothing to do with those kinds of organizational decisions.

Technical changes will happen as they have for the last couple of years-- get rough consensus in the developer community then convince miners and merchants and users to upgrade.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 07:56:19 PM

RE: one vote per bitcoin: there seems to be some notion that Foundation member will be voting on things like "should a change to the core protocol be rolled out to support XYZ."

Umm, no.  [...]

Technical changes will happen as they have for the last couple of years-- get rough consensus in the developer community then convince miners and merchants and users to upgrade.

+1    Quoted for emphasis.

There should not be any major revamp in how development decisions are made.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Atlas

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 07:58:27 PM

Didn't you want to "standardize"? A change of plans, eh?
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 08:17:36 PM

Umm, no.  [...]

+1    Quoted for emphasis.

There should not be any major revamp in how development decisions are made.

+1kk

For the record: I think it would be great to come up with an easier way for people to remain anonymous but still be Foundation members.

I am glad we agree on this.
Maybe there simply should be multiple ways of confirming one's identity ?

Also, the methods requiring more "work" from foundation (such as meeting new member in public place & exchanging PGP keys) can be more expensive, to cover the lost time.

niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 08:50:47 PM

Don't care about supporting an organization whose name is a lie in itself and will likely mislead people - with the high probability of this being intentional.

Damn that national science foundation, and their monopoly on science.
Yes! Did you notice how centralized the science has become? NSF this, NSF that.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
The_Duke

Activity: 252

Lead Core BitKitty Developer

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 09:12:52 PM

Call me paranoid, but I don't see many third parties who I would trust to not get hacked and to properly identify anonymous people. I don't see that third parties would have a strong incentive to do a good job at that. And delegating that piece of really core functionality feels like the wrong way to go to me.

Why do you think TBF is better at not getting hacked than other "third parties"? Perhaps Mark can comment on this, since he can speak from experience?

Umm, no. Foundation members will be voting for (and lobbying) board members who will decide things like "should the bylaws be changed to allow anonymous memberships" or "how much Foundation budget should be dedicated to X and how much to Y." The number of bitcoins you own has nothing to do with those kinds of organizational decisions.

Why is this not "set in stone" in the current bylaws, since you seem determined on it?

What if an alternative client comes with an important upgrade before you do. Will you be advising miners and merchants and users to upgrade to that?

NOT a member of the so called ''Bitcoin Foundation''. Choose Independence!

Donate to the BitKitty Foundation instead! -> 1Fd4yLneGmxRHnPi6WCMC2hAMzaWvDePF9 <-
kwoody

Activity: 454

Technology and Women. Amazing.

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 09:49:02 PM

bitcoinfoundation.org was down yet again today, shows you just how much opposition there is to the foundation. Also makes any investors question the overall stability of the Foundation. Naive investors must be thinking to themselves "hah, the super-nerds can't even protect themselves and their website from lesser-nerds".
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 11:05:03 PM

bitcoinfoundation.org was down yet again today, shows you just how much opposition there is to the foundation. Also makes any investors question the overall stability of the Foundation. Naive investors must be thinking to themselves "hah, the super-nerds can't even protect themselves and their website from lesser-nerds".

who's lesser? ... you lost us there.

BitBlitz

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 11:18:46 PM

Since when does a bot-herder DDoSing a site mean there is "much opposition"?

Pages: « 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 »
  Print  

Jump to: