Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 10:48:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 ... 159 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Slimcoin | First Proof of Burn currency | Decentralized Web  (Read 136746 times)
d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 6269

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 02:34:37 PM

This thread is progressing very fast ...

What I can't do is to write about Slim. We need someone to do that.
Unfortunately the OP doesn't seem interested in contributing but I am in the process of manually filtering the scraped posts of both bct Slimcoin threads for social and technical insights which I will (ultimately) summarise into a single posting to the group.

Do you mean me (or my "Slimcoin Community" alter ego)? I wasn't aware of that "thread summarizing project" but in a coordinated effort I could help there, although I wasn't active at the very beginning (I discovered Slimcoin somewhen in late 2014). I even remember that I once read the whole old thread and remember there was a critical situation when the blockchain had to be interrupted.

What I will try, if you decide to do that posting, is to condense some of the insights into the slimco.in website or in the Github Wiki.

(BTW: I just saw the Anatomy of the Genesis block is ready for 9 days now and merged it into the website - sorry for the delay.)

As about "writers" about Slimcoin, I would like to point out again to cryptovore's Steemit posts:

https://steemit.com/trending/slimcoin
https://steemit.com/@dragosroua

(At Steemit it is a bit problematic to link to specific topics, because there's no way I know to link to a list of all posts about a topic, only the trending topics which are those posted in the last week or so)

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Sorai

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 03:52:12 PM

If the "decayed burn" count exceeds the "mint by burn" count, is that anything to worry about?  I started burning today, and the decayed burns are catching up.  

Also, since my first hour of staking (when I hit a small windfall), I've earned nothing. That was 2 days ago. Should I be dividing coins into many addresses instead of staking them all in one address?  I have a powerful processor staking full-time, so lack of computing power can't be holding me back.  
gjhiggins
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2017, 05:18:08 PM

This thread is progressing very fast ...

Do you mean me (or my "Slimcoin Community" alter ego)?

Oh no, not by any means and I'm horrified that I inadvertently gave you cause to think so. By OP I meant slimcoin@anche.no - that's the canonical source.

Cheers

Graham

edit:
What I will try, if you decide to do that posting, is to condense some of the insights into the slimco.in website or in the Github Wiki.

I'll bear that requirement in mind when filleting the posts, if I can get it right, you should just be able to paste and edit to your satisfaction.
cryptovore

Activity: 98

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 06:12:16 PM

(At Steemit it is a bit problematic to link to specific topics, because there's no way I know to link to a list of all posts about a topic, only the trending topics which are those posted in the last week or so)

Thanks for the shoutout, it's nothing, really, I do think Slimcoin deserves more exposure and I try to do it in a decent way.

re: link to specific topics in Steemit, yes, you can't do it using the steemit.com site UI because the blockchain API has a built-in limit and the UI is honoring it. You have to call recursively a specific API endpoint to get all the posts of an author (which means you can obtain such a list by writing a short JS, Python or PHP script). Not related to Slimcoin, but just wanted to point it out.
cryptovore

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 06:15:39 PM

Understood, np. With that future possibility in mind, I'll devote some time to tidying up the workplace, making it more sharable, that sort of thing.

Thanks. Now I really have to deliver something Smiley
d5000
Legendary

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 07:10:36 PM

If the "decayed burn" count exceeds the "mint by burn" count, is that anything to worry about?  I started burning today, and the decayed burns are catching up.

With "mint by burn" you mean the 'Effective Burnt Coins' score?
What you say (Decayed Burnt Coins number higher than Effective Burnt Coins) should, in theory, occur after more than a year ...

Can you enter 'getburndata' in your Debug Console and post the result here (or if you don't want people to know the amount of money you burnt, send me a PM)? So I can see where the problem lies ...

Also, since my first hour of staking (when I hit a small windfall), I've earned nothing. That was 2 days ago. Should I be dividing coins into many addresses instead of staking them all in one address?  I have a powerful processor staking full-time, so lack of computing power can't be holding me back.  

The coins must be inmovilized for 7 days to be able to find blocks, and only after 90 days they achieve the maximum "score". In my opinion, it is not of importance if you stake with one address or multiple addresses.

@gjhiggins: OK - I also consider it a bit strange that the creator of the coin is so silent. Well, Satoshi does the same Wink

What just came into my mind - would an additional "burnt" data field need a hard/soft fork? I assume this item would be stored in the block header, but woudn't that change the block hash? (Sorry for that stupid question ...)

@cryptovore: Do you know such a script to retrieve posts by topic from Steem and could give me a link to it?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2017, 08:19:53 PM

What just came into my mind - would an additional "burnt" data field need a hard/soft fork?

Fortunately, neither. The presence or absence of the total doesn't affect the coin's operations at all. The calculated total is stored in blkindex.dat - which the client constructs for itself either by reading an existing blkindex.dat or by reading the data from the blockchain, laying down a new blkindex.dat in the process. The tx data from which the total is calculated are in the blockchain. All very properly self-contained.

Cheers

Graham
d5000
Legendary

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 08:49:13 PM
Last edit: July 19, 2017, 10:20:50 PM by d5000

Thanks! Slowly I begin to understand how a cryptocurrency like Slimcoin _really_ works. Cool

PS: Compiled the BIP65 branch and it runs and syncs without problems. I see that to activate (and test) CLTV it required a soft fork in Bitcoin, but I think I remember OP_RETURN was also a soft fork so it should not be really a problem. I think in Slimcoin we are using the original "user activated" softfork mechanism and not BIP9 so no miner/minter approval would be needed.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
keliokan

Activity: 86
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 20, 2017, 07:52:56 AM

I still have a weird problem with the lastest version of the wallet,

Is there anything indicative in debug.log, db.log or your system logs?

Cheers

Graham

Hi all,

Just found and solve the problem.
It's my wallet.dat that was crashing the wallet v0.5.

With a new generated wallet everything ok so far.
i will transfer my coins to the new wallet and see if the problem appears again.

K.
gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2017, 10:46:21 AM

Thanks! Slowly I begin to understand how a cryptocurrency like Slimcoin _really_ works. Cool

PS: Compiled the BIP65 branch and it runs and syncs without problems. I see that to activate (and test) CLTV it required a soft fork in Bitcoin, but I think I remember OP_RETURN was also a soft fork so it should not be really a problem. I think in Slimcoin we are using the original "user activated" softfork mechanism and not BIP9 so no miner/minter approval would be needed.

D'yknow, I was so focused on the syntax that  I paid only scant attention to the semantics. The soft fork is to enable the situation described the comment:

Code:
+/** Script verification flags */
 +enum
 +{
 +    SCRIPT_VERIFY_NONE      = 0,
 +    SCRIPT_VERIFY_P2SH      = (1U << 0),
 +    SCRIPT_VERIFY_STRICTENC = (1U << 1),
 +    SCRIPT_VERIFY_NOCACHE   = (1U << 2),
 +
 +    // Discourage use of NOPs reserved for upgrades (NOP1-10)
 +    //
 +    // Provided so that nodes can avoid accepting or mining transactions
 +    // containing executed NOP's whose meaning may change after a soft-fork,
 +    // thus rendering the script invalid; with this flag set executing
 +    // discouraged NOPs fails the script. This verification flag will never be
 +    // a mandatory flag applied to scripts in a block. NOPs that are not
 +    // executed, e.g.  within an unexecuted IF ENDIF block, are *not* rejected.
 +    SCRIPT_VERIFY_DISCOURAGE_UPGRADABLE_NOPS  = (1U << 7),
 +
 +    // Verify CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY
 +    //
 +    // See BIP65 for details.
 +    SCRIPT_VERIFY_CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY = (1U << 9),
 +};

It would be a soft fork in that future blocks will be a subset of all blocks, including those that were minted before the fork and which could contain scripts whose meaning would change and whose outcome would be different under the new script rules.

In this instance (caution! “weasel words” - DYOR) it doesn't appear to be the case (caution! “weasel words” - DYOR) that the introduction of CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY would cause previously-successful Slimcoin scripts to fail or vice versa.

I'm always cautious about assuming that the existing blockchain doesn't contain any retrospective “gotchas” which could be triggered by the subsequent introduction of a script feature.

An example - and a snap test for those following along at home ... have there been any multisig transactions recorded on the Slimcoin blockchain?

Cheers

Graham
gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2017, 06:46:51 PM

Understood, np. With that future possibility in mind, I'll devote some time to tidying up the workplace, making it more sharable, that sort of thing.

Thanks. Now I really have to deliver something Smiley

Iff it floats your boat Smiley My sense is that the community is relaxed about such things and I was content with contemplating that at least it'll be nice to be able confer occasionally on the odd engineering nuance.

Cheers

Graham
muf18

Activity: 882
Merit: 310

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 08:25:25 AM
Last edit: July 21, 2017, 02:45:55 PM by muf18

Does anybody have gpu miner, which isn't available to public? Because there was quite a surge in mining power, without many nodes connected. I tried to mine on amd gpu and even tho cmd (miner i command line), says it's mining more that in reality, it was less a lot less mining then with CPU, it wasnt working properly. Maybe I should compile it and try on Linux?

I have seek info about us and I find such topic:
http://www.dailibu.cn/altcoinscriptomonedasaltern/2017075841.html

But it's chinese + spanish is so out of for me, that I can't understand it at all. Spanish part mostly I understand but chinese ...

Here is another mirror of Slimcoin Client Wallet AIO v.0.5 for Windows (SFX with whole blockchain, installing on disk and creating shortcut on desktop).
Next release will be in the mid-August, with new icon for shortcut and the newest blockchain.

https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/0Bz8rq8XhBF7AaS1TQ0hPOFlZaTg?usp=sharing

There are also a few student/university publications about Slimcoin from 2014 to 2016, mainly about Proof of Burn.
Maybe they should also do a study about reviving abadonded project - because as @cryptovore mentioned at steemit - it's truly amazing - from 0 progress and community, it rose to quite active community here and growing I think, because it's only the beginning. I stumbled upon this project 2 months ago and I stunned about progress here

Sorai

Activity: 92

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 05:04:59 PM
Last edit: July 22, 2017, 08:20:44 AM by Sorai

With "mint by burn" you mean the 'Effective Burnt Coins' score?
What you say (Decayed Burnt Coins number higher than Effective Burnt Coins) should, in theory, occur after more than a year ...

Can you enter 'getburndata' in your Debug Console and post the result here (or if you don't want people to know the amount of money you burnt, send me a PM)? So I can see where the problem lies ...

The coins must be inmovilized for 7 days to be able to find blocks, and only after 90 days they achieve the maximum "score". In my opinion, it is not of importance if you stake with one address or multiple addresses.

Thanks for your feedback on this.  It's good to know minting shouldn't begin immediately.

- The phrase "Mint by burn" only appears in transactions.  
- "Balance" shows total number of mint by burn.
- Net burnt coins - Effective Burnt coins = "Decayed burnt coins"

I was basically looking at the ratio of Balance to Decayed Burnt Coins, and in the first few hours of staking burning, the ratio got perilously close to 1:1. Fortunately it has since improved, so I'm not worried anymore.    

BTW, I think we should be live-charting the total effective burnt coins across the network.
cryptovore

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 07:41:42 AM

If there isn't any of you running a market maker bot with around 1BTC liquidity on Nova, then I think we may have attracted a whale. And the whale is arranging the toys, planing to play. Volume was generous last week, price maintained the 1 cent level steadily, difficulty increased (as many of you observed).

In my (short, but intense) experience as a trader, I observed that big entrances of big players are very quiet.

Of course, correlation is not causation and I may be totally wrong.
dzarmush
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 08:56:32 AM

If there isn't any of you running a market maker bot with around 1BTC liquidity on Nova, then I think we may have attracted a whale. And the whale is arranging the toys, planing to play. Volume was generous last week, price maintained the 1 cent level steadily, difficulty increased (as many of you observed).

In my (short, but intense) experience as a trader, I observed that big entrances of big players are very quiet.

Of course, correlation is not causation and I may be totally wrong.

There were some dumps at around 500. Until some old whale got out of Slim. I bought some at that price. Want to try buying a bit lower now. For some people 500 is x10 from their buying price.

muf18

Activity: 882
Merit: 310

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 09:54:57 PM

Yeah I get in at 70-75 sats... But very low number of coins cause liquidity was so low I could spike it then too 300 easily.
There were some days before at 25-50 (the lowest price for Slim recorded up to date), but I was too slow to enter then.
dzarmush
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 10:57:47 PM

Yeah I get in at 70-75 sats... But very low number of coins cause liquidity was so low I could spike it then too 300 easily.
There were some days before at 25-50 (the lowest price for Slim recorded up to date), but I was too slow to enter then.

There are still so little sell orders even at high prices. Only 290K for sale. I wonder why. People won't sell even at 1000-2000 sats? Can't be true, but why there's no orders then )

dzarmush
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 10:58:10 PM

Last try. WTB large amounts of Slim. Pls PM me your best price.

gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2017, 11:16:28 PM

Coinmarketcap is outdated, because it doesnt have api to see the coin supply
... It's not a solution because it counts afresh from 0 each time it's called and that seriously slows down the response time - to a few minutes, lol. But it does work.

Ironically, there's an extremely opportunistic “off-the-wall” alternative solution that *would* work in its own offbeat fashion. Upthread, I reported an abortive attempt to add an “watching address” facility which added an importaddress command the to API and would present a pubkey-only address and transactions in the wallet - it’s for when you might not trust the integrity of the system/client, you can keep an eye on your stash without exposing the privkey. It seemed to work but without considering the full implications, I thought “although it's supposed to be for watching your own addresses, technically it should work with any address” and I tested it with the Slimcoin burn address - and the client promptly went into overdrive calculating the stake weight for all the burned coins ('cos all the wallet can see is *incoming tx*).

However, if you set reservebalance on a fresh empty wallet to a comfortably large number, import the burnaddress and thereafter, the RPC command getbalance will return the balance of coins sent to that address --- which is the current total number of burned coins, the magic number required for a marketcap calculation.

Would need a dedicated node on its own port but hey, it'd work.

Cheers

Graham
Slimcoin Community (OP)

Activity: 37
Merit: 2

First Proof of Burn currency / Community account

View Profile
July 23, 2017, 12:36:56 AM

Just started a German ANN thread:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2040975

By the way: There is also a Spanish thread - I didn't start it, but I try to bump it every now and then with updates:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=628902

(Tomorrow I should be out of the "newbie cage", then I can add dzarmush's nice headers to the ANN's).

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 ... 159 »
  Print  

Jump to: