Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:11:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 ... 159 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Slimcoin | First Proof of Burn currency | Decentralized Web  (Read 136745 times)
gjhiggins
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2017, 08:42:46 AM

The problem is that I'm almost sure that services like Coinmarketcap do not run their own altcoin clients (they would have to run about 1000 clients) and so they rely on a single point of failure anyway.

That's what I had concluded to be the only workable approach.

In which case, I'm going to make life considerably easier for myself and everyone else and halt the development work aimed at adding moneysupply and nburnedcoins to the db index because it adds unnecessary complexity to the client and increases the maintenance load  of the codebase.

We already have a solution - the currently unusable-but-functioning importaddress feature addition, implemented in the watch branch with a single commit: https://github.com/slimcoin-project/Slimcoin/commit/a8a9e698a320a04cc5cf0e98ce61bc8e3a87d99d, all neatly packaged for close inspection.

If you recall, I thoughtlessly tested it by importing the first address to hand, the burn address and the client went into paroxysms of fevered CPU activity, trying to calculate a stake for the 5000-plus tx history. Setting reserveblance should cure that issue and a small HTML/JSON wrapper that publishes  getinfo on demand is what we're interested in because it will contain i) an accurate and direct report of the moneysupply and ii) an accurate and direct report of the total number of coins sent to the (unspendable) burn address.

The problem is reduced to that of maintaining a specifically-compiled Slimcoin node and a small wrapper. In the interim, I'll reconfigure the two Slimcoin empty-walleted clients that ACME interrogates (mainnet and testnet, both clients configured to use BerkeleyDB 4.8 to allow usable datadir snapshots) to be watch-address clients tracking the mainnet burn address and the testnet burn addresses respectively. This will allow nburnedcoins to be reported directly using the battle-tested client code instead of a report based on querying a less-than-reliable, over-complex SPARQL/RDF setup.

Using the above strategy (compiling a client for the feature.watch branch), I will create a community resource devops solution that is as trivially deployable as I can manage * and I'll fund an initial instance for 12 months, that should see us through the next stage.

Comments, observations, suggestions, welcome.

Cheers

Graham

* https://groupon.github.io/ansible-silo/ <- docker-specific but that's okay

Furthermore you can bundle your playbooks (incl. configuration, roles, plugins etc) in a custom Docker image which inherits Silo and therefore generate a versioned, shippable, complete and self-contained executable package which runs your playbooks in any environment. (where you have access to a Docker daemon)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gavrilo77

Activity: 819
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 09:23:05 AM

Woow. The hashrate and diff is really high now...
Who set up botnet Grin? Because I can't believe 10x hash rate of just 1-2 weeks ago.

So it is time for my 32 cores to make the job a bit more harder Smiley
dzarmush
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 07:16:09 PM

How much Slim is being mined a day approximately? I mean total.

d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 6172

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 08:00:49 PM
Last edit: July 29, 2017, 10:52:16 PM by d5000

@gjhiggins: I think your stance is reasonable - I am not really a coder, so I can't really evaluate how much complexity would be added by the "totalburntcoins" function - but if there is a working workaround then it's OK for me to postpone that feature. I like the feature, though, and I think it would be good to add it in the future, as these two numbers are two important measures.  Maybe we can add that function when we have a larger development team and more human ressources to control the added complexity.

@dzarmush: The PoW reward today was between 9 and 12 SLM (there are pretty large difficulty swings), that means that if we assume that about half of the blocks are PoW and so a PoW block every 3 minutes, then we have (10,5 * 20 * 24) = 5040 PoW coins mined per day. One must add the PoB coins that are about 1/4 of the blocks (reward = 13 * 10 * 24 = 3120) and the PoS coins but these are not many, maybe 200 or 300 more. So approximately we have 8500-9500 SLM/day mined.

Later I will try if I can do a SPARQL query for the exact number.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
dzarmush
Legendary

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 08:54:30 PM

The problem is that I'm almost sure that services like Coinmarketcap do not run their own altcoin clients (they would have to run about 1000 clients) and so they rely on a single point of failure anyway.

It seems like Coinmarketcap looks at block explorer on slimcoin.club, doesn't see a number of circulating coins and shows "?". If there was a number, any number, it would show it without checking. And it actually makes sense. CMC doesn't take responsibility for showing right numbers. It only gathers information from coins dev teams which are responsible for correct numbers.

dzarmush
Legendary

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 09:06:44 PM
Last edit: July 29, 2017, 09:28:16 PM by dzarmush

@gjhiggins: I think your stance is reasonable - I am not really a coder, so I can't really evaluate how much complexity would be added by the "totalburntcoins" function - but if there is a working workaround then it's OK for me to postpone that feature. I like the feature, though, and I think it would be good to add it in the future, as these two numbers are two important measures.  Maybe we can add that function when we have a larger development team and more human ressources to control the added complexity.

@dzarmush: The PoW reward today was between 9 and 12 SLM (there are pretty large difficulty swings), that means that if we assume that about half of the blocks are PoW and so a PoW block every 3 minutes, then we have (11,5 * 20 * 24) = 5040 PoW coins mined per day. One must add the PoB coins that are about 1/4 (reward = 13 * 10 * 24 = 3120) and the PoS coins but these are not many, maybe 200 or 300 more. So approximately we have 8500-9500 SLM/day mined.

Later I will try if I can do a SPARQL query for the exact number.

Sometimes when 1 Slim costs $1 it will be remembered as good old times when people mined thousands of dollars worth Slims a day )
We only need marketing team as good as dev team to make it happen. Probably it's time to acquire a new profession.

dzarmush
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 12:13:42 AM

What do you think about publishing a press release on Coindesk? It's only $250. And $500 on Cointelegraph. I might probably pay for Coindesk myself in a couple of weeks if Particl goes up. We'd only need a good press release then.

muf18

Activity: 882
Merit: 310

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 12:27:02 AM

I say first we develop things we have in plans:
- web2web technology at least and then we can think about article.
d5000
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 12:31:59 AM

What do you think about publishing a press release on Coindesk? It's only $250. And $500 on Cointelegraph. I might probably pay for Coindesk myself in a couple of weeks if Particl goes up. We'd only need a good press release then.

I don't really like this kind of Native Advertising. But if we have reached a milestone (e.g. at the release of the 0.5 stable version, with the OP_RETURN feature and Web2Web working on the main chain), then I would (grudgingly) support it.

I have thought about to start a blog about Slimcoin - maybe on a platform already used by cryptocurrency enthusiasts, like Medium. The articles could then be shared on places like /r/CryptoCurrency. Or on the slimco.in site. The blog could be distributed also in Web2Web form - so we can demonstrate the technology. Other writers would be, obviously, be welcome too.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
dzarmush
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 12:56:17 AM

I don't really like this kind of Native Advertising. But if we have reached a milestone (e.g. at the release of the 0.5 stable version, with the OP_RETURN feature and Web2Web working on the main chain), then I would (grudgingly) support it.

I have thought about to start a blog about Slimcoin - maybe on a platform already used by cryptocurrency enthusiasts, like Medium. The articles could then be shared on places like /r/CryptoCurrency. Or on the slimco.in site. The blog could be distributed also in Web2Web form - so we can demonstrate the technology. Other writers would be, obviously, be welcome too.

Why don't you like it? Let's imagine the most straight and stupid PR campaign ever with tons of money spent on it. If it does the trick and brings publicity wouldn't it bring new talented devs into the project and set the coin price to a new level which also helps a lot because bounties worth way more? What harm could it make? What's downside?

gjhiggins
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2017, 01:19:54 AM

querying a less-than-reliable, over-complex SPARQL/RDF setup.

Slightly more reliable, now that I've fixed the error that was preventing blocknotify from successfully updating the RDF graph.

A shell command for returning the timestamp from 24 hours ago:
date --date='-24 hours' +%s

A SPARQL query for returning the height of the last block:
PREFIX ccy: <http://purl.org/net/bel-epa/ccy#>
SELECT ?block ?height WHERE { ?block ccy:height ?height } ORDER BY DESC(?height) LIMIT 1

A SPARQL query for returning the height of the last block minted at any given time(stamp), e.g. 24 hours ago:
PREFIX ccy: <http://purl.org/net/bel-epa/ccy#>
SELECT ?height ?dt WHERE {
    ?block <http://purl.org/net/bel-epa/ccy#height> ?height .
    ?block <http://purl.org/net/bel-epa/ccy#time> ?dt.
  FILTER (?dt < 1501286911)
} ORDER BY DESC(?dt) LIMIT 1

Subtract one height from t'other and you have the number of blocks minted since the given timestamp.

(filter by range: FILTER((?dt < 1501374171) && (?dt > 1498781823)))

I intend to create batch SPARQL queries to instrument the emission rate, tx rate, etc. and cache the results, to feed some more charts in ACME.

Cheers

Graham
muf18

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 02:13:27 AM
Last edit: July 30, 2017, 02:59:07 AM by muf18

Why don't you like it? Let's imagine the most straight and stupid PR campaign ever with tons of money spent on it. If it does the trick and brings publicity wouldn't it bring new talented devs into the project and set the coin price to a new level which also helps a lot because bounties worth way more? What harm could it make? What's downside?

The project isn't mature enough for this kind of promotion. We should deliver at least web2web to see that we are worth investing in and to show that we are capable team of people - then we can have article. It will show that we are credible and bring more real publicity too with good effect on marketing (not so cheap effect with pumping coin like Bitconnect coin or Bitdeal coin, which are pure s***).

BTW. - if someone want to sell some SLM, I'm open to buy some.
d5000
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 03:55:43 AM
Last edit: July 30, 2017, 04:55:52 AM by d5000

The problem is that it will attract the wrong people if it's not done extremely well. We will have pumps and dumps, maybe the network will grow too fast (in the past, there were a lot of forks, although in the recent months since most people are using 0.4 or 0.5 I wasn't aware of any, but that may change), and we could lose people that are here because they like the technology or the current state of the community. These people wouldn't be attracted at all by "shills" spamming the thread (and the whole forum) with their "buy buy buy" messages.

I know the altcoin circus, I'm here since early 2013 Wink A bad experience I had was the Peercoin "marketing" campaign in late 2013. It attracted a lot of pump and dumpers, and I admit I took the opportunity to sell some Peercoins for a VERY good price (~$10), but the campaign didn't bring forward the coin (technologically-wise) in any way. Peercoin then was forgotten until 2016, when a new dev team began to form from old supporters and new investors, and now they're about to release the first release that is about to change something really substantial - since version 0.3 in 2013! (0.4 and 0.5 were mostly bugfixes and small enhancements)

I have already said that if we reach a milestone - if we have something to tell people - I'm OK with a press release, even if it's a paid one. Another topic I would be OK with would be an article describing Slimcoin's Proof of Burn technology.

Anyway - if someone wants to pay for a press release just to attract "investors" (or pump-and-dumpers) - I cannot hinder him/her and I would also not leave the community because of that. But I would not actively support it.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
dzarmush
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 12:37:08 PM

The problem is that it will attract the wrong people if it's not done extremely well. We will have pumps and dumps, maybe the network will grow too fast (in the past, there were a lot of forks, although in the recent months since most people are using 0.4 or 0.5 I wasn't aware of any, but that may change), and we could lose people that are here because they like the technology or the current state of the community. These people wouldn't be attracted at all by "shills" spamming the thread (and the whole forum) with their "buy buy buy" messages.

I know the altcoin circus, I'm here since early 2013 Wink A bad experience I had was the Peercoin "marketing" campaign in late 2013. It attracted a lot of pump and dumpers, and I admit I took the opportunity to sell some Peercoins for a VERY good price (~$10), but the campaign didn't bring forward the coin (technologically-wise) in any way. Peercoin then was forgotten until 2016, when a new dev team began to form from old supporters and new investors, and now they're about to release the first release that is about to change something really substantial - since version 0.3 in 2013! (0.4 and 0.5 were mostly bugfixes and small enhancements)

I have already said that if we reach a milestone - if we have something to tell people - I'm OK with a press release, even if it's a paid one. Another topic I would be OK with would be an article describing Slimcoin's Proof of Burn technology.

Anyway - if someone wants to pay for a press release just to attract "investors" (or pump-and-dumpers) - I cannot hinder him/her and I would also not leave the community because of that. But I would not actively support it.

Interesting that there's another coin with similar name - Simcoin and its dev is saying same things. He's been working on it pretty silently for over 3 years now I think. He also doesn't want wrong people around until the core team and tech is mature and strong enough to deal with hypers, fudders, scammers, dumpers, pumpers etc.

muf18

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 01:29:35 PM

Yeah I know Simcoin, and it's quite interesting project with some exiciting goals , but:
- development isn't anywhere available, what is doing dev
- most of the materials and prototypes or preview of technology are 3 years old
- there was IPO/ICO
- in reality we don't know if dev is still working on this or just sometime post something, thread is almost dead
- exchange is dead, there isn't any movement - and API/interface is written really amateur at least from my perspective

Slimcoin Project is quite different - we have communication quite frequently with our dev, we have (at least now) quite frequently responses (at least 1 in the day), and we are on rel exchange (nova is small, but at least in most of the parts honest exchange).
And there wasn't premine or ICO.
dzarmush
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 01:42:42 PM

Yeah I know Simcoin, and it's quite interesting project with some exiciting goals , but:
- development isn't anywhere available, what is doing dev
- most of the materials and prototypes or preview of technology are 3 years old
- there was IPO/ICO
- in reality we don't know if dev is still working on this or just sometime post something, thread is almost dead
- exchange is dead, there isn't any movement - and API/interface is written really amateur at least from my perspective

Slimcoin Project is quite different - we have communication quite frequently with our dev, we have (at least now) quite frequently responses (at least 1 in the day), and we are on rel exchange (nova is small, but at least in most of the parts honest exchange).
And there wasn't premine or ICO.

In Sim defense. Dev is active on Slack. Coin price during these years was same or significantly lower than ICO price and everyone had (and still has) equal chances to get coins. Also he gathered only 143 BTC three years ago, so it's old school good type of ICO unlike modern days vaporware ICOs. Slimcoin exchange kinda dead too. At least was before that Reddit post. It only mean people don't want to sell that low. Since Sim isn't yet released it can't be traded on exchanges other than its own.

dzarmush
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 02:33:49 PM
Last edit: July 31, 2017, 12:42:51 AM by dzarmush

I'm working on the website Russian translation and I thought you might want to update the banner.

muf18

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 03:17:27 PM

Thanks for new background and your work indeed!
About sim - I dont if it's true, but there were some scam accusation
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=929611.0
it's little strange.
dzarmush
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 03:49:46 PM

Thanks for new background and your work indeed!
About sim - I dont if it's true, but there were some scam accusation
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=929611.0
it's little strange.

Smaragda is crazy. Not like too emotional or something like that, but actually there's something wrong with him. He's been stalking Sim dev for all these years, not only on Bitcointalk but also on other websites everywhere he can fund him posting and leave those crazy comments. He also left his comment in Trust rating on Bitcointalk to many, if not all, Sim investors. Here's mine: "RESTORE ACCESS TO MY ACCOUNTS & FUNDS YOU FUCKIN' THIEVES Angry Angry Angry". The guy is coo-coo.

dzarmush
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 04:35:23 PM

Just noticed, there's "Ressources" (with extra "s") title on the website.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 ... 159 »
  Print  

Jump to: