Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:19:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Is Smooth unethical / unprofessional / in conflict-of-interest when he posts 100s of the same repeated scam accusations on his competitor's threads on a daily basis.
Yes - Because if his attacks succeed against his competitors, his own coin/investment will benefit, he has a vested interest - 99 (54.1%)
No - there is no conflict of interest when a coin dev repeatedly accuses his competitors of being scams on their threads. - 51 (27.9%)
None of the above - 33 (18%)
Total Voters: 183

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: XMR/AEON Developer Smooth Investigation  (Read 20920 times)
qwizzie
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1245

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 03:20:59 AM

This is basicly how most people are forced to view the Dash ANN thread these days :

Sometimes whole pages are littered there with posts like that, clear signs of trolls trying to disrupt a forum's focus.  

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 03:23:10 AM

If that's true, then why aren't you trolling the monero thread constantly pointing out the fact that it was launched as a scam because of its intentionally de-optimized miner? Don't you owe that to the users and investors of XMR? I think daily reminders at a minimum should suffice. Get on it!

Because it was not intentionally (or otherwise) de-optimized by the then-or current-developers of Monero, who were the ones who in fact optimized it and released the fixes as open source, to the great inconvenience and frustration of those trying to stay ahead with optimized private miners. This is well-documented; there is no dispute over it.

So you are admitting that monero was released with a scam miner that had been intentionally de-optimized, but you are claiming that you had no knowledge of the scam code you continued to push on your users? Are we supposed to just take your word on this?

"Admitting" that it was likely deliberately de-optimzed by the Bytecoin/CN scammers from which Monero was forked? We're the ones who originally discard and reported exactly that!

I believe it was eizh, or tacotime, I don't remember which.

So monero had a scam launch, but yet I don't see you trolling the monero thread regularly to remind everyone of this fact. Why do you care more about the users of other coins than the users of coins you dev? Shouldn't they get 24h reminders about the XMR scam?

You are entitled to your opinion about what constitutes a scam launch and I'm entitled to mine.

Regardless of the apparently de-optimized (and certainly unoptimized) miner which likely did give some amount of unfair profit to upstream developers (though that is unproven), and some significant profit (fair or unfair is a matter of debate) to clever independent miners (which is documented), Monero distributed very nearly the published/scheduled number of coins in the first day, week, month, and year, and its distribution schedule has never been changed. Dash mined roughly 40%+ of its entire current supply in mere hours after launch, a number aided by the distribution schedule having been cut after launch to give a greater advantage to those who instamined it. That is a huge difference in kind, in the nature of the involvement of the current developers, and in its effect on ongoing distribution.

But like I said, you are entitled to your opinion.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 03:24:11 AM

...this warning will be posted every 24 hours on the BCT dash thread...

Make it every hour on the hour.  Certainly you can manage to write a script.

That is up to generalizethis and blobafett2 to work out. It is their text.

The post at 02:46:26 AM appears to be written by somebody named "smooth"

I will accept their collaboration on modifications to the disclaimer notice.
oaxaca

Activity: 671
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 03:28:58 AM

spatula

Activity: 507

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 03:30:09 AM

But am I (and others) entitled to state it, regularly, constantly, or even every 24h on the XMR ANN bitcointalk thread? Or would that be trolling?
noobtrader
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 03:33:20 AM

If that's true, then why aren't you trolling the monero thread constantly pointing out the fact that it was launched as a scam because of its intentionally de-optimized miner? Don't you owe that to the users and investors of XMR? I think daily reminders at a minimum should suffice. Get on it!

Because it was not intentionally (or otherwise) de-optimized by the then-or current-developers of Monero, who were the ones who in fact optimized it and released the fixes as open source, to the great inconvenience and frustration of those trying to stay ahead with optimized private miners. This is well-documented; there is no dispute over it.

So you are admitting that monero was released with a scam miner that had been intentionally de-optimized, but you are claiming that you had no knowledge of the scam code you continued to push on your users? Are we supposed to just take your word on this?

"Admitting" that it was likely deliberately de-optimzed by the Bytecoin/CN scammers from which Monero was forked? We're the ones who originally discovered and reported exactly that!

WOW...

i learn alot of thing,  Thank you for clarification

"...I suspect we need a better incentive for users to run nodes instead of relying solely on altruism...",  satoshi@vistomail.com
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 03:39:56 AM
Last edit: August 14, 2015, 03:50:50 AM by smooth

But am I (and others) entitled to state it, regularly, constantly, or even every 24h on the XMR ANN bitcointalk thread? Or would that be trolling?

If you think it is relevant and on-topic then you are entitled to comment on it. I don't know that there is a specific blanket rule about such things that can be stated absolutely.

Anyway, since you bring that up, and relevant to this thread. I don't know if you saw that relevant inforomation that I did not post at all on the Dash thread between sometime in May and sometime in July (going from memory here), and then again for a good part of July. So the earlier claim that I am "spamming" the dash thread with posts "every day" and "for months" is factually incorrect.

Sure, if I am engaged in a conversation on the Dash thread and there are reply back and forth, there may be a good number of posts in a short time, but that is likely true of many pro-Dash posters as well. Do you think we could find a time when any of the prominent Dash supporters had posted, for example, 20 times in one day on that thread?
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 03:41:05 AM

"Admitting" that it was likely deliberately de-optimzed by the Bytecoin/CN scammers from which Monero was forked? We're the ones who originally discovered and reported exactly that!

WOW...

FYI, in case you are not aware the tacotime and eizh I mentioned above were and are Monero core team members, as was and is NoodleDoodle who did most of the early work to fix the miner.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 03:42:11 AM

Nice pic!
spatula

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 03:43:31 AM

WOW...

FYI, in case you are not aware the tacotime and eizh I mentioned above were and are Monero core team members, as was and is NoodleDoodle who did most of the early work to fix the miner.

He probably wasn't aware of the monero scam launch because it wasn't posted every 24h on the monero ANN thread.
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2015, 03:53:13 AM

Smooth has been posting sometimes dozens, sometimes only a few posts every day on that thread.  For many months.

This is a lie or an error, I do not know which. Therefore, of course, your conclusions can not follow from a false premise.

I don't know, does "every 24 hours" = "every day"?

That is between generalizethis and blockafett/blobafett2 to work out, who collaborated to draft that statement. Perhaps a different frequency would be considered more fair, in balancing the interests of disclosure. I don't know.

Blocka hasn't said word one, so every day seems to work for him.

qwizzie
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1245

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 03:54:13 AM

WOW...

http://da-data.blogspot.nl/2014/08/minting-money-with-monero-and-cpu.html

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now
oaxaca

Activity: 671

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 03:57:52 AM

...Sure, if I am engaged in trolling on the Dash thread and there are reply back and forth, there may be a good number of posts in a short time...
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 04:02:17 AM

...Sure, if I am engaged in trolling on the Dash thread and there are reply back and forth, there may be a good number of posts in a short time...

Misquoted.
blobafett2 (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 04:02:25 AM

I'll just x-post my reply to Smooth from the Dash thread for visibility:

The following message was drafted by generalizethis and submitted for open review and modification by Dash community member blockafett/blobafett2, or others, who did not offer any proposal for changes, and is therefore is considered a collaboratively-constructed fair disclosure statement.

public service announcement

Dash (formerly xcoin and darkcoin) had a significant fastmine over the first 48 hours of its existence (~2 million coins). These facts should not be glossed over by those seeking a fairly launched coin, so until the dash media reflects these facts, this warning will be posted every 24 hours on the BCT dash thread. This warning will not be posted when the media reflects these facts. For those seeking more information Monero Developer Smooth has created a thread with the pertinent facts: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=999886.0

"submitted for open review and modification by Dash community member blockafett/blobafett2"

Not sure what you mean, I have never received anything like this.  Do you mean it was posted somewhere?  Generalize is on my ignore list mostly so I don't usually read his posts. 

Not sure why you think today suddenly it's such big news about Dash's launch issues from 18 months ago, you yourself have already posted about it prolifically for months, and it's been officially explained and accepted by the community / market a long time ago: https://dashtalk.org/threads/the-birth-of-darkcoin.162/

Sad to see you are back on the Dash thread again FUD'ing the same old rubbish whilst neglecting your own coins.  I notice you are not disclosing to people that you are on the core team of at least 2 small competitors to the anon-features of Dash either so you have a vested interest (in your mind anyway) to try to disrupt the Dash community from all the work they are doing.

I won't be responding to your FUD here by the way so I guess leave you to it. 
TPTB_need_war

Activity: 420
Merit: 257

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 04:04:06 AM

Here are some comments I have written on the rule and purpose of AEON, as well as the history and management of its donation fund. I'm pretty sure there is also a related post on bitcointalk but I couldn't find it so I'll add that if I come across it later.

Do you think the success of the donation fund is a reasonable retort to my assertions that I needed to ICO to get a coin well funded to do massive development post launch?

I would argue AEON coin holders are desperate given Monero in the distant lead and so many CN clones. So I will argue it is not an applicable comparison. Sorry that is off topic here...

I can support smooth's statement here as I've donated 200K+ AEONs to the dev fund and..get this...it was entirely voluntary on my part. I was not desperate as TPTB has suggested because I hold XMR as the majority or my coins.  In fact, I traded most of my mined AEONs to XMR. Why donate 200K? Because the difficulty was incredibly low from Oct of last year til recently and I've amassed quite a bit of coins since then as there were very few miners.  I personally felt development needs to be funded and asking for donation is quite an honorable and respectable thing, a rare thing these days as most coin devs would just rely on premines and ICOs.

Okay I appreciate this. I hear it straight from the horse's mouth.

So now I am going to say to you that if you want to stop messing around with Cryptonote which I will soon obliterate, and if you would like to get wealthy while also helping to change the world, then you do have an opportunity to invest in what I am doing much earlier than the ICO at a significant advantage.

It is fine and dandy to say that what you did was an act of unselfishness, but I would like to you explain to me how my 2.5 years of studying and working in these forums to acquire the vast knowledge which is on display in my posts yesterday all over the altcoin subforum (for which I've been paid roughly BTC20 by smooth, rpietila, and jl777) and the fact that I need some funds in order to complete development of my shocking innovations (which I am growing increasingly confident will turn the entire cryptocurrency world upside down ... mark my word) should come only from donations for a coin that doesn't yet exist?

Some people act like the term "private placement" was never invented or has no place in the world of investing.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 04:04:53 AM
Last edit: August 14, 2015, 04:16:31 AM by smooth

A prominent Dash supporter admits I'm right, and by the way documents blobafett2's efforts to suppress/silence me (quoted unedited)

Sad to see you are back on the Dash thread again FUD'ing the same old rubbish whilst neglecting your own coins.

He's not fudding. XMR did follow its initial published emission curve and Dash didn't.
spatula

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 04:05:00 AM

WOW...

http://da-data.blogspot.nl/2014/08/minting-money-with-monero-and-cpu.html

Yep. Monero was a total scam launch. To smooth's credit though, once people started catching on they did release a less de-optimized public miner. But only after enough time had passed that smooth and friends could have easily minted a small fortune off of the backs of their users.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 04:08:33 AM

With respect TPTB, I don't really think promoting your project on this thread is on topic. Post on your own threads or an ANN pre-ICO or the Securities subforum for venture investors or whatever.

This is not meant to criticize your effort in any way, but posting suggestions for people to invest in your coin whenever they discuss investing in other coins you claim are "obsolete" is a bit of spamming.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 04:10:56 AM

But only after enough time had passed that smooth and friends could have easily minted a small fortune off of the backs of their users.

In fact that is literally impossible because above blog post documents exactly who was doing the bulk of the mining (spending $250K on AWS, presumably at a profit) and it wasn't us. In fact I think he says in there that he had no connection, financial or otherwise, with the Monero team. It is one of the few cases where who exactly was doing most of the mining is out in the open, mostly a serendipitous occurrence since he happens to be a CS professor who likes to blog about his exploits. Most miners wouldn't.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: