Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:09:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Thai Baht (฿) has always been the most frequently used Bitcoin symbol right?  (Read 30399 times)
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 10:45:21 PM

This is a bad idea, because the browser isn't guaranteed to copy the invisible TC.
Are you sure? The characters are "visible", but the font defines them to have zero width.
Is the "TC" supposed to actually be invisible? I see it as "B⃦TC"

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2012, 10:51:45 PM

This is a bad idea, because the browser isn't guaranteed to copy the invisible TC.
Are you sure? The characters are "visible", but the font defines them to have zero width.

Then there is something wrong with your system. Here on my standard Windows 7 64bit with 8GB RAM it displays just fine.

(Ok, seriously, are you talking about this: BTC? So either it should load the Webfont resulting in BTC being displayed as "B with decoration", "invisible T", "invisible C" or your w3c/lynx on a non-unicode console should just display BTC … or your smart browser decides that there is something wrong with letters that have zero width so it defaults to another font. Which browser are you using?)

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 10:58:44 PM

(Ok, seriously, are you talking about this: BTC? So either it should load the Webfont resulting in BTC being displayed as "B with decoration", "invisible T", "invisible C" or your w3c/lynx on a non-unicode console should just display BTC … or your smart browser decides that there is something wrong with letters that have zero width so it defaults to another font. Which browser are you using?)
"B⃦TC" is shown by Konqueror/KHTML, Rekonq, and QupZilla.
"B⃦" alone is shown by Chromium and Firefox.

giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2012, 11:19:04 PM

"B⃦" alone is shown by Chromium and Firefox.

Konqueror displays ฿ and Ƀ right but I have the same problem with BTC. Interesting. For me, it's really narrowing down to either ฿ or Ƀ then.

WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Atlas (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 11:44:34 PM

Nobody browses with these except Richard Stallman and Co.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12900

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 12:14:34 AM

Sounds like your browser is ignoring parts of my webfont, likely in violation of standards. Smiley

Anyone know how to fix this?

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2012, 02:10:45 AM

Sounds like your browser is ignoring parts of my webfont, likely in violation of standards. Smiley

Hey don't tell me there are browsers that violate standards!!!!1!!

I guess using Ƀ could fix that issue.

Ok, you made that font with T and C having 0pt/px/cm width. Can you try 1px instead? My guess is that konqueror tries to fix missing letters and a 1px letter would most likely not trigger such a "fix" but with the letter being invisible it would still yield almost the same result.

And please while you are at it, un-bold it Wink

ɃɃ
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2012, 03:51:19 AM

The B double vertical strokes is a Unicode symbol?  What is its code?  I can't find it on any list of Unicode symbols (maybe I'm not looking in the right place?).
Yep. Unicode defines symbols like this using "combining" characters (the "already combined" characters exist only for compatibility with legacy encodings such as Latin-1), so for B⃦ you do:This works to some extent for all possible combinations (apparently some people are getting blocks, though?).
From there, fonts can specialize with "ligatures" (renderings that represent a sequence of characters) - which is where things can definitely use improvement.
I see...so it will require two codes to generate...in time I suppose the implementation will catch up with the spec. I get Bbox on my iPad on iOS 6.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 08:15:13 AM

And please while you are at it, un-bold it Wink

Seconding this request.
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 10:31:15 AM

Wow! Calm down! There are many contracts done in Dollar, Peso, Brazilian real, Nicaraguan córdoba, Tongan paʻanga,  Cape Verdean escudo,  Portuguese escudo and none of the involved countries ever got any of the others into legal trouble about the $ sign.
$ (disambiguation)

I'm not talking about countries getting into legal trouble... how does that even work? I mean "OMG you scammer, I obviously meant Nicaraguan córdoba!". Imagine people in Thailand start using BTC!

We're not damned imposters of anything else. There's no reason to use that other than it looking "familiar", which I also find wrong for Bitcoin. It's a stupid choice, and it doesn't need a great analyst to see that.

Ƀ really doesn't look like a bad choice. I never liked the color scheme people advertise with it, but the symbol seems perfect.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 10:35:07 AM

Wow! Calm down! There are many contracts done in Dollar, Peso, Brazilian real, Nicaraguan córdoba, Tongan paʻanga,  Cape Verdean escudo,  Portuguese escudo and none of the involved countries ever got any of the others into legal trouble about the $ sign.
$ (disambiguation)

I'm not talking about countries getting into legal trouble... how does that even work? I mean "OMG you scammer, I obviously meant Nicaraguan córdoba!". Imagine people in Thailand start using BTC!

People in Thailand already use BTC.
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2012, 10:49:28 AM

Ƀ really doesn't look like a bad choice. I never liked the color scheme people advertise with it, but the symbol seems perfect.

I like it too, and about the criticism that it looks almost like the number 8, maybe serifs should be added, like:

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2012, 03:54:25 PM

I'm not against Ƀ neither. It's my preference. I'm just saying that even the $ sign would be fine with me if the majority here wishes to use it. I just don't like to not have an agreement that I can push on Wikipedia or other pages. I'm pretty sure that a consensus would rule out …

I like it too, and about the criticism that it looks almost like the number 8, maybe serifs should be added, like:

… custom solutions and symbols that just render badly on 50% of all computers.

ɃɃ
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 03:19:40 PM

Ligatures would, and they would fix the copying problem too (hint, hint).
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 07:37:29 PM

The B double vertical strokes is a Unicode symbol?  What is its code?  I can't find it on any list of Unicode symbols (maybe I'm not looking in the right place?).
Yep. Unicode defines symbols like this using "combining" characters (the "already combined" characters exist only for compatibility with legacy encodings such as Latin-1), so for B⃦ you do:This works to some extent for all possible combinations (apparently some people are getting blocks, though?).
From there, fonts can specialize with "ligatures" (renderings that represent a sequence of characters) - which is where things can definitely use improvement.
I see...so it will require two codes to generate...in time I suppose the implementation will catch up with the spec. I get Bbox on my iPad on iOS 6.
It renders correctly on my laptop...

Hasimir

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 08:43:36 PM

My vote is for the Thai Baht. It's clean, elegant and standard.
This isn't a vote; B⃦ has been the standard symbol since the beginning, and there is no good reason to change that. This is just Atlas trying to turn Bitcoin into mere "Silk Road currency".

Except not every implementation of Unicode displays whatever symbol that is.

In Firefox 15 on OS X Leopard I see the letter B followed by "20E6" for a Unicode symbol that won't display (Combining Double Vertical Stroke Overlay).  In Emacs I see B followed by a different symbol (Both Firefox and Emacs are configured to use UTF-8 on my system).

The problem is that you've opted for a UTF-16 character instead of a UTF-8 character.  UTF-8 is far more common and accessible.  This is why, like shamoons, I argued in favour of using the Thai Baht symbol last year.

The only argument against using ฿ is that it is used for THB aleady.  On the other hand $ is already used for USD, CAD, AUD and NZD.  While ¥ is used for Yen and Yuan.  Currencies sharing symbols is nothing new, that's why we have three letter codes for them as well.

Once again, I don't see any problem with using the baht symbol for Bitcoin and it has the added advantage of displaying correctly on a wide range of systems.

This was debated in detail last year and my post in that thread (which included a couple of other suggestions in addition the the baht) is here.  My opinion in my first paragraph hasn't changed:  I think that the symbol ought to be an existing UTF-8 symbol so that it can be readily used on most systems or browsers and not require additional fonts to be installed.

BTW, there's a poll in that thread from last year which was resoundingly in favour of using the baht symbol.

OpenPGP/GPG key: 0x321E4E2373590E5D  I provide GPG Training services
IRC nick: Hasimir (Freenode and elsewhere)
BTC address: 19hiwsQq7xMAEyQMdiyGjkMGNmpN6GA5wL
Hasimir

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 08:45:43 PM

Uh, guys... what am I missing here?

See, this is exactly the problem of selecting a UTF-16 symbol over a UTF-8 symbol.  If you're going to select a standard then go for the widest implementation of Unicode, which means UTF-8 and not UTF-16.

Hasimir

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 08:51:21 PM

More to the point, I can see the other symbols here just fine.  If B⃦ is supposed to be the best symbol, and I (and others) cannot see it properly on standard systems, perhaps it would be better to move to a different symbol that IS displayed properly on a standard system.
Images seem to be working fine until mainstream fonts are updated. Thankfully, we also have webfonts now. Smiley

Which is fine if everything you do is on the web, but not everything is and it should not have to be.

Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 08:56:12 PM

This isn't a vote; B⃦ has been the standard symbol since the beginning, and there is no good reason to change that. This is just Atlas trying to turn Bitcoin into mere "Silk Road currency".

If they don't, it's a bug.

The problem is that you've opted for a UTF-16 character instead of a UTF-8 character.  UTF-8 is far more common and accessible.
B⃦ is standard UTF-8, it is not UTF-16.

Once again, I don't see any problem with using the baht symbol for Bitcoin and it has the added advantage of displaying correctly on a wide range of systems.
I'm not addressing whether baht is an acceptable replacement or not; just the reality that it isn't the current standard BTC symbol.

bg002h
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 08:59:15 PM

If they don't, it's a bug.

The problem is that you've opted for a UTF-16 character instead of a UTF-8 character.  UTF-8 is far more common and accessible.
B⃦ is standard UTF-8, it is not UTF-16.

I'm not addressing whether baht is an acceptable replacement or not; just the reality that it isn't the current standard BTC symbol.

How long until implementations work for most people? 1 year, 5 years, a decade?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: