Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 02:35:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 [220] 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin XT - Officially #REKT (also goes for BIP101 fraud)  (Read 378926 times)
Cconvert2G36

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 02:53:51 AM

Why are you still entertaining the notion that a network wide hardfork can be deployed faster than SW can?

Because it's one line of code vs well... an untested and fairly complex reorg of the protocol.

No one proposes to rush through SegWit. It seems you are largely ignorant of what its deployment entail other than the couple posts you've read on reddit or Jeff's FUD.

Oh, I'm aware there is no rush... it's become painfully apparent. And doing a soft fork is ideal when you plan to keep hard forks, ie:max block size increase, quite contentious in the future as well.

SegWit is opt-in and if service providers are pro-active it can be ready to roll out when the code is implemented. At least that's what the dev of the 2nd most popular iOS app plans to do.

Spare us your concern trolling unless you can provide a detailed account of the "massive upgrade" you talk about.

Well, I apologize for concern trolling while a single company molds a decentralized protocol, of which I'm a long time participant, to its self interested will.
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 02:56:28 AM

Why are you still entertaining the notion that a network wide hardfork can be deployed faster than SW can?

Because it's one line of code vs well... an untested and fairly complex reorg of the protocol.

No one proposes to rush through SegWit. It seems you are largely ignorant of what its deployment entail other than the couple posts you've read on reddit or Jeff's FUD.

Oh, I'm aware there is no rush... it's become painfully apparent. And doing a soft fork is ideal when you plan to keep hard forks, ie:max block size increase, quite contentious in the future as well.

SegWit is opt-in and if service providers are pro-active it can be ready to roll out when the code is implemented. At least that's what the dev of the 2nd most popular iOS app plans to do.

Spare us your concern trolling unless you can provide a detailed account of the "massive upgrade" you talk about.

Well, I apologize for concern trolling while a single company molds a decentralized protocol, of which I'm a long time participant, to its self interested will.

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
brg444 (OP)

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 03:35:12 AM

See what you did here?

No matter how complex SW can still be deployed and made effective faster than a hard fork which will take at least a full year to deploy and activate.

Your concerns would be appreciated if they were based on facts and legitimate understanding of the dynamics involved. Clearly these are not things you can bring to the table.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 05:16:07 AM
Last edit: December 30, 2015, 05:46:28 AM by johnyj

Jeff Garzik and Gavin Andresen: Bitcoin is Being Hot-Wired for Settlement

We have a disappointing situation where a subset of dev consensus is disconnected from the oft-mentioned desire to increase block size on the part of users, businesses, exchanges and miners. This reshapes bitcoin in ways full of philosophical and economic conflicts of interest. As noted here, inaction changes bitcoin, sets it on a new path

It is interesting to see that Jeff is now teaming up with Gavin, what is happening inside the core devs? It seems the situation suddenly get weird after the HK conference

http://www.coindesk.com/blockstream-21-million-seed-capital/ Linkedin, Airbnb, Google, Yahoo ... many of the software heavy weights are backing blockstream, no doubt there are so much slides from that direction, they have been preparing for over one year with all these solutions

However the solutions from blockstream are all complex. Raised level of complexity will dramatically reduce its ability to survival long term wise, and the acceptance from miners/users will be very low

I think at these stage any more talk is meaningless, let the predictive market decide which fork will survive. Satoshi's one million coin can destroy any fork he does not like, so I think any design that is against Satoshi's original vision have a high risk of failure. Of course he might not react, but then independent core devs also hold lots of coins (Rich guys don't need a boss) that can be mass dumped, let the star wars begin Grin

brg444 (OP)

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 05:58:05 AM

[00:08] <petertodd> bramc: but today we have a blocksize limit low enough that everyone has access to reasonably low orphan rates
[00:08] <petertodd> bramc: (remember that the networking code we have right now on the p2p network is *really* inefficient)
[00:09] <bramc> petertodd, And the blocksize limit is staying down there, by design
[00:09] <petertodd> bramc: what do you mean?
[00:10] <bramc> petertodd, The current 'plan of record' is for the block size to de facto go up by less than 2x with segwit and otherwise stay put, at least for now
[00:10] <bramc> For exactly that reason
[00:10] <petertodd> bramc: sure

Not tonight, dear.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
Cconvert2G36

Activity: 392

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 06:01:31 AM

[00:08] <petertodd> bramc: but today we have a blocksize limit low enough that everyone has access to reasonably low orphan rates
[00:08] <petertodd> bramc: (remember that the networking code we have right now on the p2p network is *really* inefficient)
[00:09] <bramc> petertodd, And the blocksize limit is staying down there, by design
[00:09] <petertodd> bramc: what do you mean?
[00:10] <bramc> petertodd, The current 'plan of record' is for the block size to de facto go up by less than 2x with segwit and otherwise stay put, at least for now
[00:10] <bramc> For exactly that reason
[00:10] <petertodd> bramc: sure

Not tonight, dear.

Always cute.
hdbuck
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 07:20:18 AM
Last edit: December 30, 2015, 08:02:05 AM by hdbuck

I trust the BIP process and the socioeconomic majority's marketplace of ideas will figure it out.

Good one.

http://qntra.net/2015/07/chain-fork-reveals-bip-process-broken/

sAt0sHiFanClub

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Warning: Confrmed Gavinista

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2015, 08:04:11 AM

because he clearly understands this better than you do. Block size limit can be changed in a heartbeat. Satoshi describes the whole process here. Most existing bitcoin elements will work with it without change.

However, seqwit requires complete and complex changes to:

• bitcoin transactions,
  • blocks,
  • addresses,
  • scripts,
  • full nodes,
  • miners,
  • wallets,
  • explorers,
  • exchanges,
  • libraries,
  • APIs

Not a single piece of the bitcoin ecosystem will work with segwit without an upgrade.

Except you. Have you short term memory issues, or have you hit your limit on simultaneous threads? Earlier you are banging on about how segwit is here, ready for deployment.  As regards what it involves to deploy - see above.

SegWit is opt-in and if service providers are pro-active it can be ready to roll out when the code is implemented into Core. At least that's what the dev of the 2nd most popular iOS app plans to do.

Wrong. segwit is no longer optional. you may ignore it, but that puts you back to spv mode.

Spare us your Trolling, full stop.

We must make money worse as a commodity if we wish to make it better as a medium of exchange
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2015, 08:08:43 AM

I can't wait to start generating 16MB blocks construed so as to take 128 minutes to verify.  Once your derp forks' chain(s?) cannot be verified in real time (and it becomes impossible to bootstrap new full nodes) it's game over.  Unless Mikey "Final Call" Hearn wants to sit around forever checkpointing out troll blocks....   Smiley

This assumes miners are idiots and will sit there for 128 min trying to verify a block rather than build on a longer chain of smaller, shorter blocks. Also, you're being absolutist here, many would be satisfied with 2MB to study the effects on nodes, gain time to carefully and methodically roll out segwit, and time to plan a more permanent solution.

Big pool/miner nodes use 15 or 18 core Xeons, and given competitive tx fees (and/or out-of-band arrangements) will be happy to quickly construe 16MB XT/BU blocks which take hours to verify on a normal laptop.

Core may change to 2MB eventually, if and only if the 1MB control variable in the Bitcoin experiment proves to be a threat to the antifragility of the entire system.

We must know if or exactly when 1MB causes Bitcoin to fail, and for what reasons.  Magic numbers picked before such an informative event (ie teachable moment) are worse than useless.

Premature increases retard development of fee markets critical for weaning Bitcoin off block subsidies and onto self-sufficient tx provision utility.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
sAt0sHiFanClub

Warning: Confrmed Gavinista

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2015, 08:14:53 AM

http://www.coindesk.com/blockstream-21-million-seed-capital/ Linkedin, Airbnb, Google, Yahoo ... many of the software heavy weights are backing blockstream, no doubt there are so much slides from that direction, they have been preparing for over one year with all these solutions

Its funny how ice and brg construe any connection with yahoo and google on Mike or Gavins part as "Gubmint", but seem happy to take the feds sheckles when it is paid via Blockstream...

We must make money worse as a commodity if we wish to make it better as a medium of exchange
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 01:29:17 PM
Last edit: December 30, 2015, 01:42:07 PM by johnyj

Its funny how ice and brg construe any connection with yahoo and google on Mike or Gavins part as "Gubmint", but seem happy to take the feds sheckles when it is paid via Blockstream...

I still think any devs that have commit access should at least own 10000 bitcoins to make sure they can do R&D independently. Having large enterprise backing is politically disadvantage in a decentralized system, it reduces the trust

The reason we end up here is because there was not enough incentive for the core devs. I still remember during mining frenzy, many miners were donating bitcoins to mining software designer and even mining rig designer.  But for core devs? Almost none from average user, so that vacuum is spotted by enterprises quickly. First Gavin went to TBF, and then several others into Blockstream. We could avoid this if there is a mechanism to incentivize core devs

VeritasSapere

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 02:46:03 PM

Bitcoin Unlimited is transcending this entire debate, a synthesis. A paradigm shift, a new awakening. A discovery of something that was already there. Something old and something new. I am exited to step into this new frontier, a new dawn. Bitcoin is growing up, it needs to shake itself lose from the paternalism of its past. It needs to realize itself and evolve into what it is meant to become. We are a part of this, humanity is a part of this great machine. The truth lights our path forward and exposes those that wish to block the stream of our future. Technological empowerment of volunteerism leading us towards freedom. The road of our salvation has been illuminated, as we travel towards our destiny and touch the stars, remember our history and our unlimited possibility.
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Merit: 1115

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 03:14:36 PM

core block size limit should be made dynamic, put in the realm of software, outside of human hands

This might be the single most obvious statement ever and Blockstreamers aren't buyin' it.

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
hdbuck
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 03:46:53 PM

core block size limit should be made dynamic, put in the realm of software, outside of human hands

This might be the single most obvious statement ever and Blockstreamers aren't buyin' it.

Except that this is practically some pipe dream  utopia if not completely irrelevant.

Forkers are free to fork into some altcoin with whatever parameter they want tho.
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 03:47:32 PM

Bitcoin Unlimited is transcending this entire debate, a synthesis. A paradigm shift, a new awakening. A discovery of something that was already there. Something old and something new. I am exited to step into this new frontier, a new dawn. Bitcoin is growing up, it needs to shake itself lose from the paternalism of its past. It needs to realize itself and evolve into what it is meant to become. We are a part of this, humanity is a part of this great machine. The truth lights our path forward and exposes those that wish to block the stream of our future. Technological empowerment of volunteerism leading us towards freedom. The road of our salvation has been illuminated, as we travel towards our destiny and touch the stars, remember our history and our unlimited possibility.

Great post!  Poetic too.

To me it seems the Bitcoin Unlimited is waking people up to the fact that they are in control of Bitcoin's destiny.  That the block size limit is just a figment of our collective imagination.  That it only exists if we agree it exists.

It is great to see individual nodes talking matters into their own hands by running Bitcoin Unlimited.  They are saying "I don't need to wait for the permission of the Blockstream Core Central Planning Committee!"

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 04:21:25 PM

Great post!  Poetic too.

To me it seems the Bitcoin Unlimited is waking people up to the fact that they are in control of Bitcoin's destiny.  That the block size limit is just a figment of our collective imagination.  That it only exists if we agree it exists.

It is great to see individual nodes talking matters into their own hands by running Bitcoin Unlimited.  They are saying "I don't need to wait for the permission of the Blockstream Core Central Planning Committee!"

ATguy

Activity: 423

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 05:33:11 PM

Except that this is practically some pipe dream  utopia if not completely irrelevant.

Forkers are free to fork into some altcoin with whatever parameter they want tho.

Even though Bitcoin core is highly infiltrated with Blockstream agents, it doesnt mean your vision of centralized offchain solution as the main Bitcoin function will be accepted by most Bitcoiners, and even though your Bitcoin core infiltration is impressive and the proposed Bitcoin roadmap succesfully removes any hardfork possibility from 2016 *, it doesnt mean your sure longterm winner with your centralized offchain Bitcoin vision.

* for acceptable hardfork no one needs to fear (or make argue of fear to prevent hardfork), you need the change in Bitcoin client long time preferrably a year before most nodes naturally updates to this version of the Bitcoin client unless you want create emergency hardfork with the havoc associated

.Liqui Exchange.Trade and earn 24% / year on BTC, LTC, ETH
....Brand NEW..........................................Payouts every 24h. Learn more at official thread
btcusury

Activity: 433
Merit: 260

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 05:41:00 PM

While they do bring up some good points, authoritarian statists Jeff Garzik and Gavin Andresen write:

The proposed roadmap currently being discussed in the bitcoin community has some good points in that it does have a plan to accommodate more transactions, but it fails speak plainly to bitcoin users and acknowledge key downsides. The roadmap summary most relevant to bitcoin users is:
Bitcoin is shifting to a new economic policy, with possibly higher fees.
Core block size does not change; there has been zero compromise on that issue. In the face of rising transaction volume — it has doubled over the past year — getting stuck at 1M results in higher fees, notable economic changes, and suffers from increased political risk by embracing an accidentally-created economic policy tool.

There's that word again! It seems to me that anyone talking about "compromises" or "compromising" is coming from a position of pushing a pre-set agenda, not from the mindset of a dialogue in which all the participants share their ideas/arguments for the purpose of arriving at the best solution.

And as commenter Eric Voskuil observes:

This piece is agitprop. Witness the terms "way forward", "leadership" and "plain talk" in the same sentence.

More and more and more it looks like it's all about "compromising" the greatest threat to the central banksters since Andrew fucking Jackson.

Technological empowerment of volunteerism leading us towards freedom.
That should be voluntaryism, you statist shill. When was the last time you had a thought that was your own?

FACT: There were hundreds of thousands of unnecessary deaths by December 2020 due to the censorship of all effective treatments (most notably ivermectin) in order to obtain EUA for experimental GT spike protein injections despite spike bioweaponization patents going back about a decade, and the manufacturers have 100% legal immunity despite long criminal histories.
VeritasSapere

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 05:53:21 PM

When faced with irreconcilable differences in the vision of Bitcoin, we can either compromise or split. It is that simple. There is no need to insult me, I stand by my convictions and I am not a statist shill. Decentralization and financial freedom for all is my war cry in this battle of ideas. I stand by the original vision of Satoshi and we can all choose our own destiny.
valiz

Activity: 471

BTC trader

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 05:55:03 PM

What's that? Dictator speech?

You stand no chance against Blockstream's wrath! Resistance is futile!

Statist Empire Unlimited is transcending this entire debate, a synthesis. A paradigm shift, a new awakening. A discovery of something that was already there. Something old and something new. I am exited to step into this new frontier, a new dawn. The empire is growing up, it needs to shake itself lose from the paternalism of its past. It needs to realize itself and evolve into what it is meant to become. We are a part of this, humanity is a part of this great machine. The truth lights our path forward and exposes those that wish to block the stream of our future. Technological empowerment of volunteerism leading us towards freedom. The road of our salvation has been illuminated, as we travel towards our destiny and touch the stars, remember our history and our unlimited possibility.

12c3DnfNrfgnnJ3RovFpaCDGDeS6LMkfTN "who lives by QE dies by QE"
Pages: « 1 ... 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 [220] 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 »
  Print  

Jump to: