Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 10:48:11 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 [188] 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin XT - Officially #REKT (also goes for BIP101 fraud)  (Read 378930 times)
Cconvert2G36

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 05:32:35 AM

salt..

This denigration of signatures represents nothing less than an attack on the primacy of cryptography in cryptocurrency. The blockchain represents a complete and verifiable historical record of every transaction and balance in Bitcoin. Attacking verifiability by lopping off signatures in a misguided effort to cram more transactions into a megabyte. This leaves a eunuch which is no longer the virile Bitcoin we love. As signatures fade into history, cryptographic certainty is replaced by faith and hope.

Ultimately, it is about increasing the number of places where Bitcoin can break and reducing the prominence of cryptography in cryptocurrency.

http://qntra.net/2015/12/after-xt-failure-gavin-andresen-supports-jim-crow-for-signatures-on-the-blockchain/

and pepper... http://trilema.com/2015/theres-a-one-bitcoin-reward-for-the-death-of-pieter-wuille-details-below/

Is anyone else finding hdbuck's crisis of derived authority rather delicious?  Cheesy
forevernoob

Activity: 687
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 01:37:13 PM

salt..

This denigration of signatures represents nothing less than an attack on the primacy of cryptography in cryptocurrency. The blockchain represents a complete and verifiable historical record of every transaction and balance in Bitcoin. Attacking verifiability by lopping off signatures in a misguided effort to cram more transactions into a megabyte. This leaves a eunuch which is no longer the virile Bitcoin we love. As signatures fade into history, cryptographic certainty is replaced by faith and hope.

Ultimately, it is about increasing the number of places where Bitcoin can break and reducing the prominence of cryptography in cryptocurrency.

http://qntra.net/2015/12/after-xt-failure-gavin-andresen-supports-jim-crow-for-signatures-on-the-blockchain/

and pepper... http://trilema.com/2015/theres-a-one-bitcoin-reward-for-the-death-of-pieter-wuille-details-below/

Is anyone else finding hdbuck's crisis of derived authority rather delicious?  Cheesy

Does MP think all Bitcoin devs are on the USG payroll?

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2015, 01:39:52 AM

It's nice that Frap.doc and MP finally have something in common (IE their disdain for Core devs).   Roll Eyes

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 02:10:29 AM

I'll bet there are quite a few HashFast customers who are also feeling looney...
da2ce7
Legendary

Activity: 1222
Merit: 1016

Live and Let Live

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 05:04:09 AM

I don't ignore many people on this forum, however MPOE-PR was a special kind of Lol Cow.

One off NP-Hard.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2015, 05:25:35 AM

I don't ignore many people on this forum, however MPOE-PR was a special kind of Lol Cow.

I miss MPOE-PR.  She added far more content to the forum than 99% of the people registered after her.

We are left with Lol Cows of far inferior quality.   Undecided

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 09:08:32 AM

gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 8441

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2015, 09:43:30 AM

Just in case you were getting used to the upward moving price; looks like it's time for a new drama-dump: https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/3wj0du/gavin_we_want_to_donated_to_you/cxwx4hx  Sad

I am actually starting to get more then a little peeved at the orbital bombing.  It's like every time Core really gets into a good productive flow (and, coincidentally, the market start pepping up) we get a new wave of surprising uninformed negativity rained down from above.
da2ce7
Legendary

Live and Let Live

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 09:50:18 AM

Just in case you were getting used to the upward moving price; looks like it's time for a new drama-dump: https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/3wj0du/gavin_we_want_to_donated_to_you/cxwx4hx  Sad

I am actually starting to get more then a little peeved at the orbital bombing.  It's like every time Core really gets into a good productive flow (and, coincidentally, the market start pepping up) we get a new wave of surprising uninformed negativity rained down from above.

of informed 'uninformed' negativity

(take conspiracy hat off)

One off NP-Hard.
da2ce7
Legendary

Live and Let Live

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 09:52:58 AM

I miss MPOE-PR.  She added far more content to the forum than 99% of the people registered after her.

We are left with Lol Cows of far inferior quality.   Undecided

I agree, if you are here for the 'content' then she was far more fun than usual grazing animals that inhabit here.  Wink

One off NP-Hard.
TooDumbForBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 10:03:37 AM

Just in case you were getting used to the upward moving price; looks like it's time for a new drama-dump: https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/3wj0du/gavin_we_want_to_donated_to_you/cxwx4hx  Sad

I am actually starting to get more then a little peeved at the orbital bombing.  It's like every time Core really gets into a good productive flow (and, coincidentally, the market start pepping up) we get a new wave of surprising uninformed negativity rained down from above.

That's a lot of power packed into two sentences on an obscure internet forum.

How does a decentralized world-class monetary system become vulnerable to such power?

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|      The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency      
   WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4270
Merit: 1208

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2015, 10:06:22 AM

Just in case you were getting used to the upward moving price; looks like it's time for a new drama-dump: https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/3wj0du/gavin_we_want_to_donated_to_you/cxwx4hx  Sad

I am actually starting to get more then a little peeved at the orbital bombing.  It's like every time Core really gets into a good productive flow (and, coincidentally, the market start pepping up) we get a new wave of surprising uninformed negativity rained down from above.
"Look everywhere but me"

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
da2ce7
Legendary

Live and Let Live

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 11:01:14 AM
Last edit: December 14, 2015, 02:13:56 AM by da2ce7

Then you go and read what Gavin says:

Quote from: gavinandresen
60,000 $/€/£ wouldn't actually go very far-- good software people are expensive.

Be a little patient... there is stuff happening I've promised not to talk about yet. You aren't the only one unhappy about the priorities of the Bitcoin Core project....

where he also says:
http://gavinandresen.ninja/segregated-witness-is-cool

ie: "Segregated Witness is cool, but I'm smarter than Pieter Wuille and know what is the most important priorities for Bitcoin."

Gavin posted his "Segregated Witness is Cool" after...
@gmaxwell famous mailing list post:
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2015-December/011865.html

Gavin then replies with this somewhat uninformed reply on the mailing list:
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2015-December/011877.html

That basically says: "I'm not as smart as Pieter, so I'll just say that his solution "will just complicate consensus-critical code" (using a soft fork)."

Quote from: gavinandresen
Why segwitness as a soft fork? Stuffing the segwitness merkle tree in the
coinbase is messy and will just complicate consensus-critical code (as
opposed to making the right side of the merkle tree in block.version=5
blocks the segwitness data).

It is my hypothesis that Gavin is using flax technical issues as a political wedge.

Now, I'm a brave man, but I'm not brave enough to go out in public saying that Pieter Wuille is wrong on a technical choice for Bitcoin. Instead, if I was concerned with a particular set of engineering choices I would first ask him to state is reasoning for that particular choice. Where I would be no-doubt appeased.

Gavin and Co' just go out like lol-cows stating how their way of engineering Bitcoin is so much superior; They have never asked "Could you please explain your reasoning for this choice", rather they state something like: "It is much better to do it my way".

Hence, this is my main argument that they are using technical issues for political purposes; as they seem to have no desire to learn - They pick the contrary on any possible technical decision, and then use it as a argument for 'compromise'.

here is a little humor for you all:

• Gavin / Mike:  We must scale Bitcoin or it will fail!!! We cannot have full blocks.
  • Core Dev: We are busy trying to make Bitcoin not fail right now! Thank God Block are not full! - No increasing the Block size doesn't solve this issue
  • Miners: There is NO WAY we would accept 20MB!
  • Gavin: Ok, I've talked with the miners, they say that they will 'agree' with 8MB blocks!
  • Core Dev: NO! Go Away: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/6341
  • Gavin / Mike + Trolls: "The Core Developers don't care about the future of Bitcoin!!!!!!!111"
  • Gavin / Mike:  We love Bitcoin, use XT + BIP101 !!!!!
  • ... (huge Bitcoin culture war is created) ...
  • ... (Mike officially becomes a LOLCOW on the mailing list) ...
  • Miners: There is NO WAY we would accept any of BIP101
  • Gavin:  BIP 101 is dead! But I still know how to scale Bitcoin Best!!!!!111
  • Core Dev: Um, no, why after all your past hair-brained ideas, suddenly you know what is best for all of us!?
  • Gavin: We are going to find a compromise!

One off NP-Hard.
VeritasSapere

Activity: 546

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 02:12:44 PM
Last edit: December 13, 2015, 02:30:45 PM by VeritasSapere

This is a low move gmaxwell attributing the drop in price with these statements coming from Gavin. I know people that have spent a lifetime doing price analysis, and they would never be so specific and certain in their conviction that such a singular event would have caused this. You are a smart guy you really should know better, unless you are now also claiming to be an expert in markets? This is not the first time I have seen you use such manipulative fear mongering tactics. I can not prove that you are being manipulative without knowing your motivations and the level of your sincerity. However I return to the thought that you really should know better.

Quote from: Gavin Andresen
Be a little patient... there is stuff happening I've promised not to talk about yet. You aren't the only one unhappy about the priorities of the Bitcoin Core project....
This statement by Gavin is exiting, it is good to know there is activity behind the scenes. After all there is a very large group of people now that do fundamentally disagree with the direction that Core is taking Bitcoin into. There are irreconcilable differences in ideology which do need to be resolved one way or another.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 02:29:10 PM

Veritas, your subtle misrepresentation of the facts is typically mind-bending: Gavin Andresen has been leading a prominent concern-trolling campaign for some months now, and his reputation has suffered immensely as a result of his politics-through-technical-issues nonsense. You know, the same problem you have with your public image.

Vires in numeris
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 02:48:24 PM

Veritas, your subtle misrepresentation of the facts is typically mind-bending: Gavin Andresen has been leading a prominent concern-trolling campaign for some months now, and his reputation has suffered immensely as a result of his politics-through-technical-issues nonsense. You know, the same problem you have with your public image.

That's his MO. Sometimes I get embarrassed for him when I review his previous trolling rants. If you want some mild entertainment go back and look at the BIP 16/17 WWE SmackDown between the trolls of thunder - Andresen vs LukeJr.  

forevernoob

Activity: 687

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 04:39:45 PM

This statement by Gavin is exiting, it is good to know there is activity behind the scenes. After all there is a very large group of people now that do fundamentally disagree with the direction that Core is taking Bitcoin into. There are irreconcilable differences in ideology which do need to be resolved one way or another.

And what direction is that? Scaling Bitcoin wihout breaking it with a hard fork?
How is that bad?

You make it sound like Core just resurrected Hitler and reinstated the third reich.

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 05:00:26 PM

That's a lot of power packed into two sentences on an obscure internet forum.

How does a decentralized world-class monetary system become vulnerable to such power?

Wrong userbase.  That is to say, a userbase who are swayed by such games.  This userbase has been actively cultivated, and for the purposes of achieving exactly the phenomenon noted (and other unpleasant ones.)  I've been saying this for years as an argument against a focus on SPV, zero-conf solutions, UI eye-candy, etc.

To be more fair about it, it is (in my estimate) not the case that Bitcoin could have gotten the traction to get to eye-opening price levels without some fairly deceptive marketing.  This makes it unfair for me to sit around throwing stones...and it's why I'm posting this disclaimer.

The best strategy (imho) would have been to retreat back into a shell of focusing on rock solid no-frills defensibly (for the core of a subordinate chains ecosystem) after either the $200 or the $1200 spikes put Bitcoin on people's radar.  When (and if) distributed crypto-currencies are needed, people will come...and it's nearly inevitable to happen at some point.  The dis-advantage would be that the circulation would more strongly favor the well tuned-in individuals (hodlers.)  For my part, I would rather see Bitcoin more distributed among the constellation of dumb-shit kids, criminals, gamblers, druggies, etc than I would see it consolidated to the Winklevoss class.  Part of this is that they can be shaken out to provide liquidity more easily in times of need.  Liquidity problems are the Achilles Heal of assets in Bitcoin's class.  Our best hope is that the alternatives have more serious issues (e.g., hyperinflation, bail-ins, etc) and for periods of time that will almost certainly be the case.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
brg444 (OP)

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 07:37:58 PM

This is a low move gmaxwell attributing the drop in price with these statements coming from Gavin. I know people that have spent a lifetime doing price analysis, and they would never be so specific and certain in their conviction that such a singular event would have caused this. You are a smart guy you really should know better, unless you are now also claiming to be an expert in markets? This is not the first time I have seen you use such manipulative fear mongering tactics. I can not prove that you are being manipulative without knowing your motivations and the level of your sincerity. However I return to the thought that you really should know better.

Yes, how exciting. A cabal of bankers, corporatists and butthurt developers colluding to make another attempt at disrupting existing economic consensus.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
TooDumbForBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 08:45:43 PM

This statement by Gavin is exiting

Frieidmanian slip?

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|      The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency      
   WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
Pages: « 1 ... 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 [188] 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 »
  Print  

Jump to: