May 21, 2024, 03:53:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: none
. - 0 (0%)
. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: « 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 ... 148 »
  Print  
Author Topic: 🌱[ANN] SOIL | Environmental | Agriculture | Smart Contracts | Sustainable  (Read 237558 times)
abvhiael

Activity: 722
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 21, 2016, 04:02:49 PM

Why dont you guys become an expanse asset?

im not even sure HOW to answer that question.

first off, something like expanse might serve single-purpose organizations and the like, but that doesnt serve the vision we have for SOIL in the least.

SOILcoin is built as a smart contract delivery platform with a specifically targeted set of under-served industries that are on the breakout point of future technological usage, integrating the Internet of Things into common practice, expanding automation of systems.... IF SOILcoin was merely a representative sort of currency, existence as a token would be ok, but our sole purpose is to build and deliver a full suite of dApps targeted towards renewable energy and environmentalism, towards automated agriculture and farm management, towards distributed scientific computational needs, towards open and accessible expert knowledge databases for agricultural practices.... we are building a brand, where SOIL may become synonymous with environmental responsibility, with climate prediction, with modern precision agricultural methods.

we NEED a specific and autonomous programmatic blockchain to build this, and this is also why we didnt simply build SOILcoin as a decentralized organization on Ethereum, as well. we are building a framework of applications towards the goal of providing targeted services. we view SOIL as the fuel behind these projects (much as ether is the gas running the applications on ETH) and as the framework upon which to build a special-purpose network. SOILcoin is the base layer upon which everything else will reside.

having some control over how the underlying framework is built is very important when building out a project like this, and we have so many directions that we are working on presently, confining ourselves as a DAO on another blockchain makes zero sense. SOILcoin will be built to serve many aspects of industry, and will do so in an interoperable way. to provide this, we have to be able to ensure that the platforms we offer have a soid base that they built out from, with control over the distribution curve to prevent absolute deflation in valuation, and to ensure that the guiding principles of the SOILcoin team are kept at the forefront of every project.

things such as SOIL-ex, our asset exchange, while not a fully operational altcoin market, have no equivalent service on EXP, nor is it in their roadmap. SOIL-ex already provides dApp developers who will use an appCoin to fuel their platform a currently available service upon which to list their asset in a decentralized peer-to-peer exchange process.  this is a major first step. the large-scale projects im presently working on - a decentralized marketplace ... distributed scientific computing on climateprediction.net ... a precious metals backed commodity ... a pedigree registration dApp ... an agricultural provenance application ... a carbon-offset program - these are the foundations that further dApps will leverage. each project that we choose to port towards SOILnet residency and functionality takes into consideration the possible needs of the industries that we have chosen to serve.

i have nothing against Expanse, per se, although im still very unclear about their plans, nor am i convinced of their transparency. i dont agree, for example, whatsoever with how they marketed their use of the azure and bizspark platforms as being a "partnership" between expanse and microsoft, which it clearly isnt, in the strictest sense of the word. but, the word "partnership" DOES sound great to investors.

the DAO that was supposed to be in practice from their genesis, i still cant find the source to this contract on their github repo. in fact, it seems as though, from examining the github repositories of the developers (rather than the project) and press releases, that the Expanse DAO has YET to be implented. there is no clear accessibility to the "software enforced bylaws" or what those bylaws actually ARE. nor have i seen how the "community-run" system has come into play in decision making. the contracts for their governing DAO arent easily found, or promoted, which i feel is a cornerstone to organizational transparency.

i cannot say with surety that these issues have not been addressed in their forum, i havent read every page, but from what i see with EXP, while their intentions seem good, theres little substance beyond talking up what they plan on doing, with very little practical application or user accessibility offered yet. they are measuring their success (and even brag up that they are the only successful parallel currency to ETH) by volume traded and the number of exchanges theyre traded upon, whereas i measure the success of SOIL by the quality, innovation and PRACTICALITY of the dApps we release, how much closer we get to providing the full-functionality towards the SOILnet we have envisioned from the get go.

ive looked at their roadmap, and while their borderless.tech plans sound great, i dislike the centralized user databases on mongoose that they will be using, which reduces pseudo-anonymity by employing registered user reputation accounts. it appears, through their sparse documentation, that verified reputation accounts will be necessary for users in order to access much of the "borderless" functionality. although i think that reputation systems will be important, in those instances where "Know Your Customer" is necessary, part of the raison d'etre of cryptocurrency is maintaining that chosen level of anonymity as the user wants.

much of the further forecasted functionality for 2016 are built from currently available open source single smart contracts. much of what they are working on presently, such a ported Mist wallet, we have ALREADY done with SOILcoin, months ago. they do a great job with blogging and updates, they are wonderful marketers, but in truth, they promise to offer nothing more than SOILcoin can already deliver. 

i dont like comparing apples to oranges, and while EXP and SOIL are vigorously different platforms, albeit operating with the exact same underlying protocols, our roads forward are very divergent; in the end i think that SOILcoin, operating as an sovereign blockchain offers greater advantages than ever becoming a simple asset on an incompatible blockchain that doesnt possess the strong philanthropic and responsible vision of SOIL. i wont measure our success against EXP, or any other currency. i think the merits of what we HAVE produced so far should stand on their own, as should the applications we release as part of the SOILcoin network.

i dont think that "creative truth-telling" when it comes to community-targeted press releases is a good practice. yes, it may have a positive (and temporary) affect on overall valuation, but in the end, i truly believe that honesty regarding what we have built, what it can and CANNOT do, and where we are moving forwards toward will gather more positive investment than doing things such as claiming to have a "partnership" with microsoft (name-dropping) and not truthfully explaining what that means will do with future trust from shareholders.

publicity and marketing will only go so far, real results must be delivered. the only way to ensure a clear message going forward is by being able to control the platform the message is broadcast on/about, and should SOIL be an EXP-based asset, we would be hamstrung by a lack of functionality and beholden to the public perception of their development team by proxy. i believe the bloom on the EXP rose will fade. i believe that focused application delivery and comprehensive, easy-to-understand end-user documentation for each contract will bring more usability (and more users) to SOIL. their future directions will serve other industries than we will, but in the end, it would make more sense to have EXP as a SOIL-resident asset than the other way around.

i dont worry about our valuation as it sits right now. nor do i worry about how our valuation matches up with those of other ETH-parallel currencies. MANY cryptocurrency investors dont practice due-diligence regarding the altcoins they speculate in, and will simply follow the volume being traded rather than the developments being done. SOILcoin will always remain autonomous, and our very very small development core will consistently work towards bringing forward dApps that will have practical use for the future of SOILcoin. SOIL's value will increase, of that i have no worry. but id rather it be on the back of what we have already built and the competency of our development team to produce further practical applications built towards our end-user industries than having it increase thanks to flashy graphics and vaguely worded promises.
abvhiael

View Profile
May 21, 2016, 04:16:50 PM

Seems like somebody instamined this coin to death and now the difficulty is slowly decreasing.

we've noticed this happen a few times already, a mining farm will target SOIL for a day or so, mine the bulk of distribution and move on when the difficulty has gotten too high. the downward direction of difficulty is slower than the upward changes, and so it takes some time for these to reduce to a lesser hashrate being used against the system as miners move on to lower difficulty. the changes within the Homestead release to the difficulty algorithm were supposed to make the longer blocktimes we are experiencing "mathematically impossible", but this is clearly not the case. we do look forward to when a workable proof of stake system of block rewards can be implemented on SOIL, and have been following the developments towards that with dedication. the network is SLOW but is still running.

cryptocurrency mining has become big business. personally, my contribution to running the consensus engine is hampered by the archaic computer i use, but im waiting for a riser cord to come in from the mail so that i can attach the more advanced GPU my brother sent to me (R9 290X) to a computer and be able to mine effectively. but, mining hashpower goes where difficulty is low and profitablility is high. everything is viewed regarding short term profit, and thats perfectly OK. but SOILcoin is a long-term project, and whether we have to find outside funding in order to build an appropriate mining rig that will act as a catalyst against the mining farms that visit us every so often is another thing to look at. (if anyone wants to contribute by sending me older video cards to build into a rig, let me know, id be forever appreciative)

frostminer

Activity: 742
Merit: 505

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2016, 04:29:23 PM

Seems like somebody instamined this coin to death and now the difficulty is slowly decreasing.

we've noticed this happen a few times already, a mining farm will target SOIL for a day or so, mine the bulk of distribution and move on when the difficulty has gotten too high. the downward direction of difficulty is slower than the upward changes, and so it takes some time for these to reduce to a lesser hashrate being used against the system as miners move on to lower difficulty. the changes within the Homestead release to the difficulty algorithm were supposed to make the longer blocktimes we are experiencing "mathematically impossible", but this is clearly not the case. we do look forward to when a workable proof of stake system of block rewards can be implemented on SOIL, and have been following the developments towards that with dedication. the network is SLOW but is still running.

cryptocurrency mining has become big business. personally, my contribution to running the consensus engine is hampered by the archaic computer i use, but im waiting for a riser cord to come in from the mail so that i can attach the more advanced GPU my brother sent to me (R9 290X) to a computer and be able to mine effectively. but, mining hashpower goes where difficulty is low and profitablility is high. everything is viewed regarding short term profit, and thats perfectly OK. but SOILcoin is a long-term project, and whether we have to find outside funding in order to build an appropriate mining rig that will act as a catalyst against the mining farms that visit us every so often is another thing to look at. (if anyone wants to contribute by sending me older video cards to build into a rig, let me know, id be forever appreciative)

You will need MANY rigs to fight that power. We're talking 100s of good GPU's.

One "ok" rig pushes around 150 Mh/s ethash.. which is nothing when the coin is hit like this, by 2-3 000 Mh/s

A fast adjusting difficulty might help, but as long as it cant adjust "mid block", there will always be that massive hard block taking hours for regular miners to crack.

abvhiael

View Profile
May 21, 2016, 05:03:35 PM

One "ok" rig pushes around 150 Mh/s ethash.. which is nothing when the coin is hit like this, by 2-3 000 Mh/s

A fast adjusting difficulty might help, but as long as it cant adjust "mid block", there will always be that massive hard block taking hours for regular miners to crack.

agreed. but the larger CONSISTENT hashrates dedicated to the system, the faster reductions in difficulty can occur when hit by a massive mining farm like we have seen. theres no realistic way to prevent this sort of "attack" at present. at best, we can push mining power towards the system regularly to ensure a quicker system response to high difficulties. there is no perfect system. we presently have 37 MH/s network speeds, which is really one or two miners helping secure the system. as long as the system is continually moving forward, im content, but im frustrated by the inconvenience that these high difficulty levels presents for simple and speedy transfers. it also makes deploying new contracts to the network very slow, but i muddle along best as i can.

blocktimes and prevention of massive mining attacks is one of the things im consistently researching, to find a way to improve our average blocks towards the mean targeted block time. mid-block adjustments would be a major security flaw, though, even if there were a way to implement it. 
malekbaba
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1026

SellDefi.com | Earn by selling files

View Profile
May 21, 2016, 06:01:03 PM

May be a quick pump will bring a lot more miners. Suprnova pool is getting closed

agreed. but the larger CONSISTENT hashrates dedicated to the system, the faster reductions in difficulty can occur when hit by a massive mining farm like we have seen. theres no realistic way to prevent this sort of "attack" at present. at best, we can push mining power towards the system regularly to ensure a quicker system response to high difficulties. there is no perfect system. we presently have 37 MH/s network speeds, which is really one or two miners helping secure the system. as long as the system is continually moving forward, im content, but im frustrated by the inconvenience that these high difficulty levels presents for simple and speedy transfers. it also makes deploying new contracts to the network very slow, but i muddle along best as i can.

blocktimes and prevention of massive mining attacks is one of the things im consistently researching, to find a way to improve our average blocks towards the mean targeted block time. mid-block adjustments would be a major security flaw, though, even if there were a way to implement it. 
frostminer

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2016, 06:03:45 PM

May be a quick pump will bring a lot more miners. Suprnova pool is getting closed

I guess the only protection against this is multi-algo.

Shkembe
Legendary

Activity: 1559
Merit: 1001

Epic Private Internet Cash

View Profile
May 24, 2016, 09:35:36 PM

Second largest wallet in Bittrex dumped his coins, now I am N2. Smiley
malekbaba
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2016, 03:09:11 AM

Is it the lowest price ever in bittrex ? Are you a bit tensed about the price ? Everyone thought there will be a pump following ETH's price like shiftcoin. But there was even price reduction. Is it dying ?
rajeshgarnaik

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 25, 2016, 05:44:20 AM

why price going down so much.

frostminer

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2016, 07:13:23 AM

Second largest wallet in Bittrex dumped his coins, now I am N2. Smiley

Im surprised it didnt have a bigger impact.

abvhiael

View Profile
May 25, 2016, 01:01:56 PM

Is it the lowest price ever in bittrex ? Are you a bit tensed about the price ? Everyone thought there will be a pump following ETH's price like shiftcoin. But there was even price reduction. Is it dying ?

after launch we settled into a price discovery of below 1000 sat for awhile. we havent really had price reduction, simply stagnancy. im not worried about current valuation, its only been a month and a bit where we've hovered in the 2-3000 sat range. SOIL isnt dying, but i am working hard on finsihing up a few projects in the hope of breathing refreshed energy into the valuation. while im not concerned over our price, id still love to see it higher (naturally) to incentivize the mining more.

ive been working thru the weekend on two of my projects ... the SafeMarket port to SOIL and our precious metals backed assets ... the SafeMarket should be finished sooner than the yet to be appellated precious metals market. ive secured a few vendors of platinum and palladium, and have been looking into the feasibility of using not only the metals with ISO currency codes (the two mentioned above along with gold and silver) but to include other semi-precious metals as well (particularily rhodium and irridium) we have acquired some platinum and palladium as well, 1 ounce of the former and and 2 ounces of the latter, to ensure working assets are available when we launch, and id like to be able to offer the "asset backed tokens" similar to the digix project at 1 XPT (platinum) equal to 1 gram, divisible as a token to 0.001 grams (ex: with PT at almost a thousand dollars an ounce, each XPT token would be worth about $36 USD, divisible to $0.035 USD at its smallest) ive been watching the DGD (digixDAO) project closely, and have been thinking about the release of a similar valued "corporate token" for the precious metals market with similar usage to assist with overall SOILcoin development funding, but i havent worked out the logistics for that yet.

dont worry about the value. we will remain consistently working on developments and projects, and that will lead to further price appreciation.
skidog
Legendary

Activity: 1393

View Profile
May 29, 2016, 03:32:43 PM

... im not worried about current valuation... while im not concerned over our price, id still love to see it higher (naturally) to incentivize the mining more.

dont worry about the value. we will remain consistently working on developments and projects, and that will lead to further price appreciation.

Very positive view. You seem to have a good long range eye, and when real money starts to flow into crypto it will be to coins with a solid foundation, as this seems to be, and not the hyped coins that are much more expensive now but offer little going forward.

It is very good that Soil has a dedicated dev and a handful of people who keep it moving, but it would be better to attract outside developers into the coin. That is a major goal of coins like this, correct?

What can be done to make Soil more appealing to developers who want to build?

edit to add
Also nice if somebody could delete the banner at the top of this thread
Time will tell. As long as you keep working I am sure people will come. No worries
malekbaba
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2016, 07:32:23 PM
Last edit: May 29, 2016, 07:42:55 PM by malekbaba

I am a bit worried about the price. Can't we expect to be listed in other giant exchanges?
Shkembe
Legendary

Activity: 1559

Epic Private Internet Cash

View Profile
May 29, 2016, 09:45:27 PM

I am a bit worried about the price. Can't we expect to be listed in other giant exchanges?

No need to be worried! When BTC grows up all alts go down. BTC pump will stop soon.
WigitGetIt
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2016, 10:24:56 PM

Buying opportunity. SOIL is going nowhere, obviously have some good tech. These projects are really the future of alts. Add more to your bag if you can, I am.
abvhiael

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 01:50:51 PM

Peter has written me to tell me that he will be leaving the SOILcoin project due to time constraints at his new work and home. Its been an absolute pleasure working with Peter in getting SOIL launched and running, and I wish him the best of luck in his future endeavours.

I will remain working on SOIL, as diligently and obsessively as before, and if anyone within the community would like to help out further with the core development side of things here, send me a PM or reach out to me on our slack channel... I have a lot of belief in this project, and that what we are building is something that will, down the road, prove to be a useful tool for our preferred communities in renewable energy, agriculture and scientific computing.

Im reworking the OP and website, as well as setting up the new "hard nodes" today, as well as continuing to work on the couple projects i have on the go presently. Hope the weather for everyone is better than this soggy mess we have here in atlantic canada...
crazyearner
Legendary

Activity: 1820

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 11:41:33 PM

Peter has written me to tell me that he will be leaving the SOILcoin project due to time constraints at his new work and home. Its been an absolute pleasure working with Peter in getting SOIL launched and running, and I wish him the best of luck in his future endeavours.

I will remain working on SOIL, as diligently and obsessively as before, and if anyone within the community would like to help out further with the core development side of things here, send me a PM or reach out to me on our slack channel... I have a lot of belief in this project, and that what we are building is something that will, down the road, prove to be a useful tool for our preferred communities in renewable energy, agriculture and scientific computing.

Im reworking the OP and website, as well as setting up the new "hard nodes" today, as well as continuing to work on the couple projects i have on the go presently. Hope the weather for everyone is better than this soggy mess we have here in atlantic canada...

Shame to see a member go from the development team, hope this does not effect the future and you manage to find someone to fill the position. I am all about renewable energy would be nice to kick start projects off. Just need the public behind the coin and also  a bigger stronger team that can crack on with development and get this coin going. Their plenty of room for growth just need the public and services behind it to get it going.

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S
abvhiael

View Profile
June 01, 2016, 12:59:30 PM

Shame to see a member go from the development team, hope this does not effect the future and you manage to find someone to fill the position. I am all about renewable energy would be nice to kick start projects off. Just need the public behind the coin and also  a bigger stronger team that can crack on with development and get this coin going. Their plenty of room for growth just need the public and services behind it to get it going.

well, im rewriting the OP in hopes of having a few people want to get more intimately involved with SOIL. its a time consuming project, that never seems to stop growing in scale. the advantage of SOILcoin is that the applications on the network can be developed independently by anyone, but in the end id love to collaborate with folks who have ideas and see if we cant make them a reality.  its been more than a bit hectic, restructuring the project, making sure the core development team will have full control over all aspects. i do not intend to leave the project, nor will i stop working on the projects i already have underway. and then theres the eleventyseven projects on the back burners. if anyone can write a dApp giving me a 72 hour day....
skidog
Legendary

Activity: 1393

View Profile
June 02, 2016, 05:00:43 PM

Sorry to hear that. Keep your head up. Pace yourself...
malekbaba
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2016, 05:41:31 PM

soil is going under soil. Anybody knows why ?  Sad
Pages: « 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 ... 148 »
  Print  

Jump to: