Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:28:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Find Trendon Shavers in person thread... [BTCST, BTS&T, pirateat40]  (Read 81229 times)
CharlieContent

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 12, 2012, 10:59:32 PM

Does anyone have a clear idea of how much he got away with?

I know that he owed $5m USD, but that included interest.

I have also heard that he took in $2m USD, but surely some of that must have been paid out in interest to people who withdrew.

Is there any chance he might have came out of this with a comparatively small profit? Or are we sure his scam made him a millionaire?

This should be a lesson to everyone that not only is Bitcoin incredibly easy to steal, but thefts actually have little to no legal recourse even if you know the precise identity of who stole your coins.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DannyM

Activity: 275
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 12, 2012, 11:21:50 PM

Since it seems to have been a ponzi scheme, pirate likely has no money, paid it all out in interest to keep the scam going.
lile

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 12, 2012, 11:28:46 PM

Since it seems to have been a ponzi scheme, pirate likely has no money, paid it all out in interest to keep the scam going.
I doubt he paid out much since pretty much everyone has been "reinvesting" as far as I know.
PPT-PR

Activity: 25

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 12:08:50 AM

There's also the question of how many people would be able to sue him directly.  Many people gave their funds to the PPT operators rather than pirate and they have no way to actually prove that their deposits were actually given to pirate unless the PPT operators are willing and able to provide that proof.
So what does a PPT operator have they can use to prove they were taken and how much was taken?  1) a deposit address which will show the total of deposits into the BS&T account, 2) the withdrawal address which will show the total amount taken out of the BS&T account, 3) the calculated difference between these two which is basically the amount Trendon took.  Also, if they are lucky or smart enough a screen shot of their account balance before the BS&T site went down.

There are no written contracts, there is no paperwork, there is nothing in writing and nothing signed by anyone.

So, would two Bitcoin addresses and the difference between them be enough to prove anything in court or to the SEC or to anyone.  Would you accept the difference between to arbitrary Bitcoin addresses as proof of anything yourself?

We can do this experiment for Bitcoinmax.  I believe we have their BS&T deposit and withdrawal addresses.  They are in the Bitcoinmax thread.  Bitcoinmax was by far the largest trust account at the time Trendon ran.

So we can calculate the amount of deposits claimed (by the amount show to the last depositor) and the actual amount on deposit (in - out).  This can give us an idea of the ratio of BTC deposit claims to actual BTC deposited.  The "reinvestment" rate.  Then apply this ratio to the entire system to get an estimate of how many BTC were actually taken as opposed to how many were claimed to be on deposit.
PPT-PR

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 12:10:58 AM

I doubt he paid out much since pretty much everyone has been "reinvesting" as far as I know.
And your opinion is based on the fact you were a PPT operator, right?
lile

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 12:13:17 AM

My opinion is based on what I have read on the forum. I have been a part of this forum for quite some time.
PPT-PR

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 12:19:54 AM

My opinion is based on what I have read on the forum. I have been a part of this forum for quite some time.
From actual experience I would say that less than half the customers reinvested and more than half of them took their interest every three days in the early days, then weekly when the system was changed.

I describe a method by which this "reinvestment rate" can be estimated from the information we have on Bitcoinmax here:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=120119.msg1331862#msg1331862

From here:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=83904.msg1302303#msg1302303

We can see that the amount on deposit at Bitcoinmax at the time of closure was: 167728.74239044 + 110.74501165, this includes all interest to that date.

Now someone can dig up their deposit and withdrawal addresses and we can calculate exactly how much was actually on depost.
deeplink

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 12:28:16 AM

Can you say who you are, or at least why you are using a new account and what your agenda is?
lile

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 12:28:40 AM

From actual experience I would say that less than half the customers reinvested and more than half of them took their interest every three days in the early days, then weekly when the system was changed.

I describe a method by which this "reinvestment rate" can be estimated from the information we have on Bitcoinmax here:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=120119.msg1331862#msg1331862

From here:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=83904.msg1302303#msg1302303

We can see that the amount on deposit at Bitcoinmax at the time of closure was: 167728.74239044 + 110.74501165, this includes all interest to that date.

Now someone can dig up their deposit and withdrawal addresses and we can calculate exactly how much was actually on depost.

I see, I got the wrong impression then, thanks.
PPT-PR

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 12:36:34 AM

Can you say who you are, or at least why you are using a new account and what your agenda is?
I speak on behalf of the trust accounts and "PPT operators"  (of which there are a few different types).  Not one of the trust accounts or "PPTs" that I am in contact with made any BTC and most lost more than you can imagine.  As I stated above some of the larger trust account holders - who lost the most - have contacted the SEC and are going down that path as it appears to be the most promising at this point.

But as I also stated:  at the end of the day what do we really have that can be used against Trendon?  Not much.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 03:26:45 PM

I speak on behalf of the trust accounts and "PPT operators"  (of which there are a few different types).  Not one of the trust accounts or "PPTs" that I am in contact with made any BTC and most lost more than you can imagine.  As I stated above some of the larger trust account holders - who lost the most - have contacted the SEC and are going down that path as it appears to be the most promising at this point.

But as I also stated:  at the end of the day what do we really have that can be used against Trendon?  Not much.

Where are your gpg-signed credentials, Mr. Sock-PR?

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
SebastianJu (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2012, 05:43:21 PM

This is incredible. Yet another scammer makes it out alive with a lot of money.

Even when he has a million now... what can he do with it? Nothing now i think. Because when he will start to buy expensive cars and similar the tax-agency will come and ask wheres the money from. So at the moment he cant do anything with it. Maybe he will at some point move to another country and spend the money there. But at the moment he maybe is rich... but poor at the same moment.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 05:44:36 PM

Even when he has a million now... what can he do with it? Nothing now i think. Because when he will start to buy expensive cars and similar the tax-agency will come and ask wheres the money from. So at the moment he cant do anything with it. Maybe he will at some point move to another country and spend the money there. But at the moment he maybe is rich... but poor at the same moment.

Did you lose money to Pirate? (how much if it's ok to ask?)

Signature space available for rent.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 05:49:07 PM

So go buy him some flowers.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
stochastic

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 12:10:23 AM

Trendon Shavors' Master Plan, his End Game is playing out perfectly.

He's untouchable.

There are a number of individual investors who would obviously like to see him brought to justice but most of the major players fear unexpected legal and tax liabilities in coming forward.

So unless the SEC is collecting enough information to file civil charges (and who knows how long that could take)

Trendon Shavors has already walked off into the sunset with everyone BTC - and probably  getting ready to scam again.

They got Capone for tax evasion, maybe they can get pirate the same way.

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/How-Do-You-Report-Suspected-Tax-Fraud-Activity%3F

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
CharlieContent

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 02:08:28 AM

If he actually does have a million dollars then he could easily do a lot of cool stuff with it without arousing suspicion. It would be a shame to have a million without being able to spend it on property or investments, but he could still do all the fun stuff, vacations, clothes, nights on the town, and pay his rent with it it as long as he can find a landlord who will accept cash (not difficult if you're happy to live in reasonably modest accommodation)

Of course he might also have a laundering strategy, who knows?

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 02:48:40 AM

He's currently selling his coin for cash in the mail.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 04:42:32 AM

Link?

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

CharlieContent

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 05:01:16 AM

Yeah that sounds about right to me. I can't really imagine any other way he could get hold of it. He can't let it touch a bank account, at least not in any quantity.

Apparently that's how most of the Silk Road dealers cash out. They get a 500 euro bill in a birthday card on a daily basis.

I wonder if anyone here sells coins for cash like that on SR. The premium over Mt. Gox price is usually fairly large, so I'd imagine someone in the business of selling coin must have considered it.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 05:04:20 AM

But he can still use safe deposit boxes.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: