Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 09:39:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: U3-style pod miner with 8x BM1384 (44-200GH, 15-120W) and takes a standard CPU cooler. What would you pay?
That's a stupid idea. - 12 (8.8%)
1x dead S5 board - 17 (12.4%)
1x Tube or AMV2 board plus $25 - 3 (2.2%)
2x New Rbox, S1 or S2 boards plus $25 - 21 (15.3%)
$50 - 84 (61.3%)
Total Voters: 137

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BM1384 Pod Miner plus trade-in/recycling - an interest and feasibility poll  (Read 27676 times)
Morguk

Activity: 594
Merit: 506

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 02:59:49 PM

I assume Sidehack is busy making/shipping the compacs first, before more news for the pod.

Calculate the chance of hitting a bitcoin block when solo mining at
zOU

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

★ these are stars ★

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 03:58:07 PM

Also, since the prototype pod is probably the last thing I'll do with BM1384, I'll probably start a new thread at some point since the old BM1384 Project Dev thread will be kinda defunct. But I may be working with new stuff sometime soon so when I have something worth saying I'll start a fresh thread to say it.

Morguk

Activity: 594
Merit: 506

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 07:03:55 PM

Also, since the prototype pod is probably the last thing I'll do with BM1384, I'll probably start a new thread at some point since the old BM1384 Project Dev thread will be kinda defunct. But I may be working with new stuff sometime soon so when I have something worth saying I'll start a fresh thread to say it.

Ahh nice one, didn't see this.

Calculate the chance of hitting a bitcoin block when solo mining at
boomin

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 05:37:04 AM

I honestly haven't read the entire thread - but I just got some cool new toys and could possibly help with teardown.  I have a full smd rework station and wouldn't mind donating some time - either tearing down or assembling.

Let me know.

P.s. I am in Vegas

Boomin
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 2576

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 04:20:37 PM

I honestly haven't read the entire thread - but I just got some cool new toys and could possibly help with teardown.  I have a full smd rework station and wouldn't mind donating some time - either tearing down or assembling.

Let me know.

P.s. I am in Vegas

Boomin
Send SideHack a PM on that. He's swamped with work on the pods and a project using Avalon chips. Both involve pulling parts from boards and remounting on new boards.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1849

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 04:38:43 PM

But the best part about pulling parts and remounting is it's pretty easy when you have a reflow oven and a putty knife and a pick-and-place machine.

At this point, pods as they've been discussed in this thread are basically deceased. The chips I can use are either about to be two generations behind, unavaiable, or have no datasheet. For now the pod as it is in this thread might be repurposed as a testbed for a new project but with the diff where it's going, it'll be hard to make a BM1385/A3218 pod feasible let alone a BM1384.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 05:50:35 PM

But the best part about pulling parts and remounting is it's pretty easy when you have a reflow oven and a putty knife and a pick-and-place machine.

At this point, pods as they've been discussed in this thread are basically deceased. The chips I can use are either about to be two generations behind, unavaiable, or have no datasheet. For now the pod as it is in this thread might be repurposed as a testbed for a new project but with the diff where it's going, it'll be hard to make a BM1385/A3218 pod feasible let alone a BM1384.

Ahh, i still have that (your extra) S5 board you sent me by accident. What do i do with it?

If you make some pods i still dont mind doing a trade in of S5/S1/AMTubes boards. But i understand that from a development standpoint it might not be worth the production costs.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
RichBC

Activity: 588

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 09:00:30 PM

I'd be willing to shell out a premium for custom BM1385 Pods using old antminer u3's.  Love your work I've got 5 of your compaqs!

A BM1385 Pod from a U3 would indeed be a great achievement.  Smiley

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 09:04:09 PM

Ahh, i still have that (your extra) S5 board you sent me by accident. What do i do with it?

If you make some pods i still dont mind doing a trade in of S5/S1/AMTubes boards. But i understand that from a development standpoint it might not be worth the production costs.

I hope he does it as I really like his work.  But I think S1/AM tubes are not going to be big on list of needs (unless from componets he needs), I just don't see chips being that great.

The good news for the project is bitcoin difficulty is going crazy.  Which is bad for miners.   But likely means S3's and S5's will only get cheaper and if difficulty keeps going like it is hard to say what cost would be in a month even.   So the good news is possibly cheaper miners with decent chips.   But granted they still are not the latest and greatest chips.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 11:13:49 PM

I hope he does it as I really like his work.  But I think S1/AM tubes are not going to be big on list of needs (unless from componets he needs), I just don't see chips being that great.

The good news for the project is bitcoin difficulty is going crazy.  Which is bad for miners.   But likely means S3's and S5's will only get cheaper and if difficulty keeps going like it is hard to say what cost would be in a month even.   So the good news is possibly cheaper miners with decent chips.   But granted they still are not the latest and greatest chips.

Yeah he said he needed the S1/AMT for the solid state caps and such. And that the S1 had more needed components than he expected. But the thing is its not very motivating to do this work when the pods would no longer really ROI.

Its too bad because i know pods would still be okay. I mean look at people still buying U3 just because they're quiet and they're run on free electricity. But its pretty niche now, i guess.

Personally i still want them, but *shrug*. Price wise it might be a bit icky.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 11:34:50 PM

If I do 'em it won't be with BM1384. Too tired.

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
zOU

★ these are stars ★

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 07:04:54 AM

I mean look at people still buying U3 just because they're quiet and they're run on free electricity.

why would U3 electricity be free ?

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 08:57:34 AM

Yeah he said he needed the S1/AMT for the solid state caps and such. And that the S1 had more needed components than he expected. But the thing is its not very motivating to do this work when the pods would no longer really ROI.

Its too bad because i know pods would still be okay. I mean look at people still buying U3 just because they're quiet and they're run on free electricity. But its pretty niche now, i guess.

I can't figure out why people still pay so much for U3's.  I bought from crazy guy and eventually got R1 to control them with Crazy Guy's custom firmware.  I played with them for a month or two and i lost interest.  I actually made ROI by selling for some reason people  still pay decent on U3's or did during time I sold.

I am waiting to see if the pod happens I would add one maybe a few to play with.  I still would like to see a company sell current gen chips to Sidehack.  Would love if he got support and we see a pod with it.
zOU

★ these are stars ★

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 09:21:16 AM

I can't figure out why people still pay so much for U3's.  I bought from crazy guy and eventually got R1 to control them with Crazy Guy's custom firmware.  I played with them for a month or two and i lost interest.  I actually made ROI by selling for some reason people  still pay decent on U3's or did during time I sold.

I am waiting to see if the pod happens I would add one maybe a few to play with.  I still would like to see a company sell current gen chips to Sidehack.  Would love if he got support and we see a pod with it.

i get some pretty good "bestshares" from my U3 compared to my others miners.

Mikestang
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 06:50:58 PM

If the U3 actually worked as intended with no problems it would have been a fun little machine.  That's where the gekko pod comes in.  We all know it will work and we can surmise that, with today's better tech, it will work faster and more efficiently than the U3.  I really look forward to these pods being released.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 07:29:08 PM

I dont know. Why do people buy sidehack sticks for 25-40USD?

Maybe some people see them as lottery tickets. I got one as a toy, and if you run 100 of them on free electricity, then i guess you have a silent 1TH/s that makes 0 noise. Depending on the heat density.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
abeandund

Activity: 124
Merit: 15

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 05:03:14 AM

[/quote]

I dont know. Why do people buy sidehack sticks for 25-40USD?

Maybe some people see them as lottery tickets. I got one as a toy, and if you run 100 of them on free electricity, then i guess you have a silent 1TH/s that makes 0 noise. Depending on the heat density.
[/quote]

The community is supporting the gekko guys.  For one they make good stuff secondly if there ever is going to be a small scale miner for a hobbiest it will most likely come from these guys.

Somewhere previously stated that batches will most likely be bought by resellers making this stick an attractive introductory miner to learn on.  For roughly the same money is a newbie going to buy 2-5 gh miner when there is an 8+ gh option out there to get your feet wet with?

If bitcoin ever hopes for decentralization it will take new blood getting into the game.  With that being said what does it matter if they sell a "toy" or multi Terahash rig that only the hard core players can obtain?  Still need peoples to buy and operate the machines and    might as well learn on a stick vs. outdated used machinery. 

Hopefully these guys can obtain new tech chips and develop a miner in the future.  That's why we check this this particular thread.
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 01:23:55 AM

The community is supporting the gekko guys.  For one they make good stuff secondly if there ever is going to be a small scale miner for a hobbiest it will most likely come from these guys.

That was why i do or did:)

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 05:52:17 PM

So, question. If I chucked out a dozen or so pods that hooked up to an S5 controller (via the regular 18-pin cable, including temp readings), with 8x BM1384 under a Freezer7 cooler, with manual voltage control and a simple LED bar graph voltage readout corresponding roughly to 25mV node-level increments, would they sell at about $75 apiece? Note this does not include an S5 controller, but with the right firmware and cabling one S5 controller could hook up to 4 boards. I'm sending out for a batch of prototype PCBs of some stuff next week and want to know if it's worth it.

cavaliersrus

Activity: 735

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 06:00:35 PM

if i had a s5 controler i would

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: