Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 04:47:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 »
  Print  
Author Topic: The Halving - Good or Bad for Bitcoin?  (Read 83050 times)
Etaurith

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 06, 2016, 01:10:59 PM

As the title says, is the halving good or bad for the price of bitcoin?

The halving will decrease the supply of bitcoin, whole keeping the demand, so that would make bitcoin worth more.

But the halving will make mining profitibilty worse, meaning less miners, a higher trans. fee, and maybe causing a smaller demand.

What's your verdict?

I think bitcoin will still go up, as the fees might, let's say, double, but that's still a smaller transaction fee than through the banks...

The halving doesn't mean stop of mining. Mean only halving of the new amounts of bitcoin added in the market. So the mining will continue with more or few miners. The new 12.5 bitcoin will be in the market every about 10 minutes. There have not any importance the number of miners which participate in this process. I don't understand why the fees must go high with less miners (but I'm not an expert in this field and maybe have wrong). Less miners will earn their part in the production of new bitcoins. Less miners mean maybe more earnings than before halving seen that are less miners than before. That's all.

As for the demand, this have nothing to do with the miners. They are not at all part of the demand. They don't buy bitcoins. Because earn it through the mining. The maximum of their activity in the report supply/demand is the sell of their bitcoins earned. So, on the contrary, are part of supply. The demand is who buy. And for sure are not the miners why buy bitcoin. I don't see any reason why the number of why buy will be reduced. Maybe increased make sense but decreased .... Why?
I matters to some people and some people do not even care that much. People that want to buy coins again this is really important because they then can buy more coins for a cheaper price.
Adrayrd

Activity: 271
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 06, 2016, 02:09:43 PM

The halving will decrease the supply of bitcoin, whole keeping the demand, so that would make bitcoin worth more.

But the halving will make mining profitibilty worse, meaning less miners, a higher trans. fee, and maybe causing a smaller demand.

What's your verdict?

I think bitcoin will still go up, as the fees might, let's say, double, but that's still a smaller transaction fee than through the banks...
The halving is far from good to the bitcoin because there are allot of people thinking that the price is halving but that is not what it means
the halving affects the blocks where miners are searching for so now you all know iut.
expert4knowledge

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

The All-in-One Cryptocurrency Exchange

View Profile
July 07, 2016, 10:35:38 AM

I think the halving is very Good, the profit is duplicate in one year.

Halving is good for the bitcoin users and the one who have bitcoins with them to get some profit on this event. but i am not so sure if it is good for the miners as the reward is reduced to half.
Halving can be good for the miners too from some aspects since changes of price can have indirect positive effect on their profit.

██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
                ▄███
              ▄███▌ █
             ▀▀▀██▄  █
           ▄███▄▄ ▀▀▀█
          █ █████▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄██ ███▄    █
        ▐███▀   ▀█   █
        ████     █   █
       ▄██▀▄█▄▄▄█▀   █
       ▀▄▄███▌      █
   ▄▄▄▀▀▀████       █
 ▄▀    ██ ██       █
▐▌     ██▌▐▌      ▀▄
█      ██ █         ▀▄
█      █▀▄▌          █
█   ▄▀█▄██           █
█ ▄▀      ▀▀▄▄▀▄     █
▀▀             █    █
               █  ▄▀
               ▀▄█
     ▀█████████████▄▄
  ▀ ▀▀▀███████████████▌
   ▀ ▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▀██████         ▄███████▄      ▄▄███████▄    ▄███▄    ▄███▄ ▄███▄      ▄███▄
▀ ▀▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▌       ▄████▀▀▀████▄   ▐████▀▀█████   ▀████▄  ▄████▀ █████▄    ▄█████
    ▀▀███████████████▀       █████     ████▌          ████▌    ▀████████▀    █████▄  ▄█████▌
   ▀ ▀████████████████▀ ▀    ██████████████▌   ▄▄██████████     ▄██████▄      █████▄▄█████▌
     ██████      ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀ █████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    █████▀▀▀█████    ▄████████▄      ██████████▌
     ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▄ ▄    ████▄▄   ▄▄█▄   ████▄  ▄█████  ▄█████▀▀█████▄     ████████▌
     █████████████████▀        ▀███████████   ▀████████████  ████▀    ▀████      ██████▌
     ██████████████▀▀             ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀       ▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀    ▀▀        ▀▀        █████
                                                                                ▄█████
                                                                            ▄███████▀
                                                                            ▀████▀▀
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
|█████████████████
███████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
  WHITEPAPER 
  LIGHTPAPER...
|Instant Deposit
✓ 24/7 Support
Referral Program
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
July 07, 2016, 11:05:33 AM

Maybe the biggest factor and biggest unknown is the OTC market. If I was a miner then that's where I'd be selling.

We know there is plenty of action going on there but it isn't publicised. When OTC buyers suddenly find there's less to buy via their usual routes then they may be forced to get a bit more creative.

That might end up dropping the price if they buy via exchanges. Some may have the muscle to push the price around to accumulate more for less expenditure.
bitkilo
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1010

https://www.bitcoin.com/

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2016, 11:13:28 AM

I think the halving event for bitcoin could be a very interesting one this time, could be a good prediction for next time.

I know miners still need to pay the same bills so in turn may have to increase the sell cost of their minned coins but i have started to get this feeling that the recent price rise may be a just a big pump that will be followed by a big dump just after halving, no real reasoning just a feeling i get.

hermanhs09

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 07, 2016, 11:15:38 AM

I think the halving event for bitcoin could be a very interesting one this time, could be a good prediction for next time.

I know miners still need to pay the same bills so in turn may have to increase the sell cost of their minned coins but i have started to get this feeling that the recent price rise may be a just a big pump that will be followed by a big dump just after halving, no real reasoning just a feeling i get.
You are right bitkilo,everyone is expecting the rise after halving,but i really feel like some miners may finish they mining,
and that would be the cause of dumping a big amount of bitcoin in a short time.I feel like this will happen this halving Cheesy but i hope btc will rise anyway.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
July 07, 2016, 11:18:17 AM

You are right bitkilo,everyone is expecting the rise after halving,but i really feel like some miners may finish they mining,
and that would be the cause of dumping a big amount of bitcoin in a short time.I feel like this will happen this halving Cheesy but i hope btc will rise anyway.

The miners who can't afford to mine post halving will be the ones who probably sell as quickly as they mine. The ones who can have long term vision so even if they're in the red for a while they're not going to dump.
OrangeII

Activity: 2086
Merit: 503

#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE

View Profile
July 07, 2016, 11:27:23 AM

I guess the best effect of halving is making bitcoin prices rose higher than ever, I think people take advantage of it to hold their bitcoin. but I guess after halving, bitcoin prices become unstable because more people are starting to sell their bitcoin in large numbers

.SWG.io.

..Pre-Sale is LIVE at $0.15..

..Buy Now..

``█████████████████▄▄
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄
````````````````````▀██▄
```▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄███
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄```▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``````````````````▄██▀
```````````████████████▄
````````````````````▀▀███
`````````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄████
```▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
`▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀████
```````````````````▄▄████
``▀▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
██``███████████████▀▀

FIRST LISTING
..CONFIRMED..

avw1982

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 07, 2016, 12:10:47 PM

I guess the best effect of halving is making bitcoin prices rose higher than ever, I think people take advantage of it to hold their bitcoin. but I guess after halving, bitcoin prices become unstable because more people are starting to sell their bitcoin in large numbers

If that happens I feel real lucky because of savings, I really don't what will happen after the halving but base on the many opinions here while I'm reading. Many believes that bitcoin halving will have a good effect to us. Because it will increase the price of bitcoin after it happens.

expert4knowledge

Activity: 826

The All-in-One Cryptocurrency Exchange

View Profile
July 07, 2016, 01:20:22 PM

Bitcoin price will decrease after halving since many of people become sellers in that time but the positive aspect is halving itself.

██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
                ▄███
              ▄███▌ █
             ▀▀▀██▄  █
           ▄███▄▄ ▀▀▀█
          █ █████▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄██ ███▄    █
        ▐███▀   ▀█   █
        ████     █   █
       ▄██▀▄█▄▄▄█▀   █
       ▀▄▄███▌      █
   ▄▄▄▀▀▀████       █
 ▄▀    ██ ██       █
▐▌     ██▌▐▌      ▀▄
█      ██ █         ▀▄
█      █▀▄▌          █
█   ▄▀█▄██           █
█ ▄▀      ▀▀▄▄▀▄     █
▀▀             █    █
               █  ▄▀
               ▀▄█
     ▀█████████████▄▄
  ▀ ▀▀▀███████████████▌
   ▀ ▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▀██████         ▄███████▄      ▄▄███████▄    ▄███▄    ▄███▄ ▄███▄      ▄███▄
▀ ▀▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▌       ▄████▀▀▀████▄   ▐████▀▀█████   ▀████▄  ▄████▀ █████▄    ▄█████
    ▀▀███████████████▀       █████     ████▌          ████▌    ▀████████▀    █████▄  ▄█████▌
   ▀ ▀████████████████▀ ▀    ██████████████▌   ▄▄██████████     ▄██████▄      █████▄▄█████▌
     ██████      ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀ █████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    █████▀▀▀█████    ▄████████▄      ██████████▌
     ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▄ ▄    ████▄▄   ▄▄█▄   ████▄  ▄█████  ▄█████▀▀█████▄     ████████▌
     █████████████████▀        ▀███████████   ▀████████████  ████▀    ▀████      ██████▌
     ██████████████▀▀             ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀       ▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀    ▀▀        ▀▀        █████
                                                                                ▄█████
                                                                            ▄███████▀
                                                                            ▀████▀▀
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
|█████████████████
███████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
  WHITEPAPER 
  LIGHTPAPER...
|Instant Deposit
✓ 24/7 Support
Referral Program
LarryHocks

Activity: 350

View Profile
July 07, 2016, 06:27:21 PM

The halving is good for us all, the only downside is that mining will be harder but I do not mine at all right now.
I think the halving is very gonna be very profitable anytime soon it will happen.
harkonnen

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 09, 2016, 09:38:17 PM

It just halved 3 hrs ago!
https://blockchain.info/blocks
john2231

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 09, 2016, 09:52:14 PM

The halving is good for us all, the only downside is that mining will be harder but I do not mine at all right now.
I think the halving is very gonna be very profitable anytime soon it will happen.
Yeah its good to us because we will see the fast movement of the priceof bitcoin if bitcoin is in demand we will see the fast increase of bitcoin because our supply is already been reduced by half and i think if there is no selling panic and more invsetors are come expect for 1k value..
20kevin20
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1597

View Profile
July 09, 2016, 09:54:55 PM

A price rising as much as it did in 2013 would be amazing. I'm hoping for a similar one to come in the next spring. However, we can never know what might happen soon, maybe an event that could change the Bitcoin price forever.
newcoins1978

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 12:46:43 AM

Bitcoin price will decrease after halving since many of people become sellers in that time but the positive aspect is halving itself.

I think that this is not true but we still have to see this of course, I think the price wil rise honestly.
The halving now has been done and I think we gonna see soon some increasing!
panju1
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 01:13:32 AM

I think that this is not true but we still have to see this of course, I think the price wil rise honestly.
The halving now has been done and I think we gonna see soon some increasing!

For now, the price is absolutely flat.
There seems to be no indication of a breakout.
bit1
Legendary

Activity: 938

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 02:59:03 AM

It just halved 3 hrs ago!
https://blockchain.info/blocks

Yes,and strangely it seems dont had impact on the price.
Enotche

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 06:40:42 AM

Looking back at 2012, we can say that the past Halving award did not cause any problems, so why is worth waiting problems after yesterday?
In 2012, and a year later for the Bitcoin everything went surprisingly well: the price of bitcoins has doubled within a few months after reducing the award for the unit, while of mining process was not as competitive environment, which he was then, because of which dropped significantly profit miners.
groll

Activity: 336

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 07:38:17 AM

What's your verdict?

I guess halving is bad for bitcoins but good for bitcoiners. Every halving mining difficulty increases and with the increased demand for bitcoins how much longer can the supply lasts. But there are already steps taken by big industries underlying bitcoin to make it last and survive long. And one way to control and balance the supply and demand is through increasing its value. But for me halving effects will later push the increase on bitcoins price hopefully.
Laosai

Activity: 462

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 07:54:39 AM

It's a good thing of course!

Halving is the reason why btc is so different to any other currency! It's because of halving that btc is a unique form of self moderated currency because of the panned reduced inflation Smiley

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 »
  Print  

Jump to: