Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 08:23:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Butterfly Labs November Update (ASIC Chips are "flawed". Delays.)  (Read 24622 times)
MinorMiner

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 09:31:07 PM

Hi Everyone,

We've been very busy recently, unfortunately I couldn't catch up with the forums. There is a correction to be made: Chips are not and were not flawed. We decided to add certain clock buffers to improve noise-resistance and possibly increase frequency even further. The improve in noise resistance was our real goal (average frequency increase across a full wafer can be a bi-product). The decision was made to increase the near 100% chance of success even more. We'll keep you posted. If you had any questions, please let us know.

Regards,
Nasser

Okay, so 'BFL-Josh' says 'There was a flaw in the chip that needed to be addressed' .. and now there isn't? Get on the same page, people.

All contributions gratefully received 1G6Wia22Jnpz2DUisA5EoAC6KJ7MHm6QyP
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 09:40:08 PM

Okay, so 'BFL-Josh' says 'There was a flaw in the chip that needed to be addressed' .. and now there isn't? Get on the same page, people.
To someone like me, there's a very small difference between "Engineering oversight" and "Design flaw".

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
MinorMiner

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 09:44:22 PM

To someone like me, there's a very small difference between "Engineering oversight" and "Design flaw".

Yea.. and as someone else said, they really need to be careful about what they say. BFL people may moan that everyone is deriding them but then they bring stuff on themselves with half-assed 'press releases' that seem to only serve to stir up worry and/or confusion.

All contributions gratefully received 1G6Wia22Jnpz2DUisA5EoAC6KJ7MHm6QyP
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 10:04:29 PM

Yea.. and as someone else said, they really need to be careful about what they say. BFL people may moan that everyone is deriding them but then they bring stuff on themselves with half-assed 'press releases' that seem to only serve to stir up worry and/or confusion.
No my point is that I don't care. Those two mean almost the same thing to me.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
squeept

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 10:42:59 PM

They bring it on themselves? There was just a full page of gibberish insults because they added an 'ignore' button on their forum. If they shipped tomorrow, there would be a dozen fucking threads here complaining that they shipped early.

I'm just going to keep repeating "it's an Altera HardCopy" because I haven't the slightest clue what I'm talking about.
AndrewBUD

Activity: 1078
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2012, 11:04:25 PM

They bring it on themselves? There was just a full page of gibberish insults because they added an 'ignore' button on their forum. If they shipped tomorrow, there would be a dozen fucking threads here complaining that they shipped early.

LOL probably. Or that they didn't ship out enough units at once.

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████▀▀''`▀▀█████▄▄
▄███P'            `YY██▄
▄██P'                  `Y██▄
███'                      `███
███'                         ███
▄██'   ▄█████▄▄  ,▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄p   ███
▄██▀  ,████▀P▀███.`██████████P   ▀██▄
███[ ,████ __. ███.   ,▄████▀    ███
███[ ]████████████[  ▄████▀       ███
███[ `████   ,oo2 ▄████▀'       ,███
▀██▄  `████▄▄█████d███████████   ▄██▀
▀██.   `▀▀▀▀▀▀"  Y▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ,██▀
███.                        ,███
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀███▄_                 ,███▀
▀███▄▄_          _▄▄███▀
▀▀████▄▄ooo▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀'

TM

EZ365 is a digital ecosystem that combines
the best aspects of online gaming, cryptocurrency
trading
and blockchain education. ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

..WHITEPAPER..    ..INVESTOR PITCH..

.Telegram     Twitter   Facebook

.'M████▀▀██  ██
                      W█Ws'V██  ██▄▄███▀▀█
                     i█████m.~M████▀▀██  ███
                     d███████Ws'V██  ██████
                     ****M██████m.~███f~~__mW█
          ██▀▀▀████████=  Y██▀▀██W ,gm███████
      g█████▄▄▄██   █A~`_WW Y█  ██!,████████
   g▀▀▀███   ████▀▀`_m████i!████P W███  ██
 _███▄▄▄██▀▀▀███Af`_m███   █W ███A ]███  ██
__ ~~~▀▀▀▀▄▄▄█*f_m██████   ██i!██!i███████
Y█████▄▄▄▄__. i██▀▀▀██████████ █!,██████
 8█  █▀▀█████.!██   ██████████i! █████
 '█  █  █   █W M█▄▄▄██████   ██ !██
  !███▄▄█   ██i'██████████   ██
   Y███████████.]██████████████
   █   ███████b ███   ██████
   Y   █   █▀▀█i!██   ████
    V███   █  █W Y█████
      ~~▀███▄▄▄█['███
            ~~*██

Play

│
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │   │  ███
   ███  │  ███
   ███ ███ ███
 │  ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███  │   │
███ ███  │   │
 │   │
 │

Trade

__▄▄████▄▄
     __▄▄███████████████▄▄▄
 _▄▄█████████▀▀~`,▄████████████▄▄▄
 ~▀▀████▀▀~`,_▄▄███████████████▀▀▀
   d█~  =▀███████████████▀▀
   ]█! m▄▄ '~▀▀▀████▀▀~~ ,_▄▄
  ,W█. *████▄▄__ '  __▄▄█████
  !██P  █████████████████████
   W█. - ██████████████████▀
  i██[   ~ ▀▀█████████▀▀▀
 g███!
Y███

Learn
[/tabl
Clearfly

Activity: 143

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 11:43:06 PM

Hi Everyone,

We've been very busy recently, unfortunately I couldn't catch up with the forums. There is a correction to be made: Chips are not and were not flawed. We decided to add certain clock buffers to improve noise-resistance and possibly increase frequency even further. The improve in noise resistance was our real goal (average frequency increase across a full wafer can be a bi-product). The decision was made to increase the near 100% chance of success even more. We'll keep you posted. If you had any questions, please let us know.

Regards,
Nasser

Thats marketing speak and damage limitation.

I read it as voltage leakage (which is, as i understand it a risk on 65nm process). Either way it means chips are not in full production yet and issues are still being ironed out.
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 11:50:06 PM

Hi Everyone,

Regards,
Nasser

I read it as voltage leakage (which is, as i understand it a risk on 65nm process). Either way it means chips are not in full production yet and issues are still being ironed out.

IOW, a respin.

How many iterations do you suppose there have been already?  Do you suppose they were all high-volume "bullet runs", each with its own full-wafer mask set?

If it means a respin, the "week of the 11th" seems too soon, when it took 25+ days the last time.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
Frizz23

Activity: 1162
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 12:13:17 AM
Last edit: November 29, 2012, 12:27:17 AM by Frizz23

How many iterations do you suppose there have been already?  Do you suppose they were all high-volume "bullet runs", each with its own full-wafer mask set?

This whole "bullet run" story Inaba/BFL_Josh told us stinks. You don't pay shitloads of money to bullet run a full lot (batch) of wafers just to figure out that your design is borked. There are always test wafers and test runs first. I am sure BFL did the same.

You don't do trial and error on full lots (50 wafers) scrapping thousands of chips. That would cost you hundreds of thousands of USD. In each iteration. That's just suicide!

Once your chip is OK (working prototype) you go into mass production.

So this shipment date October November December was a lie from the beginning on!

And now you tell us your Asian fab might be a bit untrustworthy. So you might get scammed because you've chosen some backroom fab. That's suicide No.2!

Question for BFL: Why did you fuck us over on purpose with your updates/PR?

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org
Bogart
Legendary

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 12:20:20 AM

How many iterations do you suppose there have been already?  Do you suppose they were all high-volume "bullet runs", each with its own full-wafer mask set?

This whole "bullet run" story Inaba/BFL_Josh told us stinks. You don't pay shitloads of money to bullet run a full lot (batch) of wafers just to figure out that your design is borked. There are always test wafers and test runs. Once your chip is OK (working prototype) you go into mass production.

Sane Conservative hardware developers don't do things that way, but maybe BFL does?

It's pretty apparent by now that BFL as a whole seems to have a bit of a "cowboy attitude", much as is shown on their public face.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
ice_chill

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 12:23:12 AM

I now have even more respect for the skillful team at Enterpoint, right from the day the ASIC was announced, I remember Enterpoint team member saying that ASICs "always" end up having to go through a respin (sometimes more than one) to get it right, and that shipment before 2013 was very unlikely.

I just wish Enterpoint was too creating an ASIC.
oztusk

Activity: 327
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 01:21:02 AM

you may also preorder flying cars, they will be available any day now..

<<<   "MY DOG ATE YOUR BITCOIN"..mtGox - - "MY DOG IS EATING YOUR BITCOIN"...Antpool - - "We were drinking espresso with shots of vodka at this little cafe. My laptop was on the table. This big dog came up behind us and,.. and..." ...nicehash     ANTMINER is currently servicing 20-30% of the entire network hash rate. Enenatis. Quis interdum ac, aliquet nec est. www.bitmaintech.com Euismod risus sed, venenatis tellus. Aliquam vel. Spontaneous emission is not inherent to an emitter, but rather depends on its electromagnetic environment.        "THE DOG ATE YOUR BITCOIN"..mtGox
elux (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 01:28:06 AM

you may also preorder flying cars, they will be available any day now..

Any day now for 40 years: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moller_Skycar
Clearfly

Activity: 143

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 01:41:22 AM

I now have even more respect for the skillful team at Enterpoint, right from the day the ASIC was announced, I remember Enterpoint team member saying that ASICs "always" end up having to go through a respin (sometimes more than one) to get it right, and that shipment before 2013 was very unlikely.

I just wish Enterpoint was too creating an ASIC.

Me Too!

Ztex also pointed out the issues with ASIC.
DoogieHouser

Activity: 133

Bitcoin Enthusiast

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 02:23:57 AM

BFL ownership may not be lily-white, but consider who is running the best scam in the world and don't lose sight of it.  Central banking has more victims than all other cons combined.  In fact, if you walk around with Federal Reserve notes in your pocket, you're considered a reserve bank. You're in signature contract with a private cartel, you've been scammed by the best. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU6fxC5CXMg

Fortunately, mining and using bitcoin helps end that scam.

Great video!

--Doogie
MeSarah

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 03:28:57 AM

We decided to add certain clock buffers to improve noise-resistance and possibly increase frequency even further.

Sense most comments are pessimistic let me try to be optimistic by asking a question..

Is it possible that BFL is pushing their upper clock limit from 1 GHz to 1.5 GHz or even 2 GHz to squash the competition?

60 GH/s BFL Single SC - Pre-Order Yours Today!
`````` Only $1299.99 - butterflylabs.com ``````
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 03:30:09 AM

Hi Everyone,

Regards,
Nasser

A wise man has just spoken!
AfricanHunter

Activity: 157
Merit: 103

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 03:30:41 AM
Last edit: December 01, 2012, 02:24:43 AM by AfricanHunter

This thread made me laugh like a 12 year old girl at multiple locations. Thanks for that, needed it after work today.  Grin

Edit spelling

Thinking about doing business with johnniewalkerhttps://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=72227?
First read this thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=131841.0

Also, Join the National Rifle Association to protect 2nd Amendment Rights http://membership.nrahq.org/default.asp?campaignid=XR020022
Bogart
Legendary

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 03:57:17 AM

We decided to add certain clock buffers to improve noise-resistance and possibly increase frequency even further.

Sense most comments are pessimistic let me try to be optimistic by asking a question..

Is it possible that BFL is pushing their upper clock limit from 1 GHz to 1.5 GHz or even 2 GHz to squash the competition?

If that were the case, wouldn't they have just said so from the moment the delay was announced?  Instead we get some odd-sounding statement about them adding a few more nines onto their 99.999% chance of success.

And that's saying nothing of the damage caused just by any delay whatsoever, regardless of its cause.  Time is money in this game, more so than 'most anywhere else.

MeSarah

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 04:49:46 AM

@ Bogart, your right. When "time is money in this game" it makes much more logical sense to spend tens of thousands of dollars for that extra 0.0009% improvement. Genius!! I think we have a Nobel Laureate candidate for economics here in Bogart.

Damage? Damage to what, BFL reputation? Half or more of the Bitcointalk community believes BFL is a scam.

BFL show's off pictures of PBC with 8 ASIC chips. Tom has his design firm redesign his ASIC offering to now have 8 ASIC chips. Monkey see, monkey do.

Do you know how magic works? It's all about misdirection.

60 GH/s BFL Single SC - Pre-Order Yours Today!
`````` Only $1299.99 - butterflylabs.com ``````
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: