Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:08:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Hacking KNC Titan / Jupiter / Neptune miners back to life. Why not?  (Read 76590 times)
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 2239

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 02:02:09 AM

mm: That's a nice thing. Even if they said what the 10 pins did it would be a plus.
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sobe-it

Activity: 453
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 02:27:25 AM

No I mean the asic boards look like Jupiters. I for the life of me cant log into the controller via browser  with user: admin password: admin
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 02:39:19 AM

Full stop here, found something odd.

As we know, these blown out Titans have pins 4,6,8 shorted hard to ground. Pin 8 we know now goes to four points on the hashing chip, my guess is that it's some sort of signal or power.

Pin 4 is also pretty simple now, it goes to the temp sensor, USB, one of the buffer chips, and to this odd spot on the board.

Pin 6 is the one I am tracking down now, I know it goes to another 3 buffer chips for power but it also seems to get lost in the board....

HOWEVER this is one guy's Titan that only hashes on two dies out of four.

Note the difference? Note between U9 and U10 there are supposed to be two zero ohm resistors and a cap. However on this guy's board there is only one resistor, a cap, and an open bridge. With nothing soldered onto it.

Why? Question: Can people who have two downed dies check this area and photograph? Because on these blown out boards of mine, that same spot where the resistor is missing is the ZERO OHM SHORT on pin 4.....

Something is up here.
mmfiore

Activity: 808
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 03:54:20 AM

Wow, that is interesting! I will check mine out tomorrow. I wonder if it just overheated and fell off some how. Very interesting. I will let you know in the morning.

▄██▄            ▄██▄
       ██  ███████████ ██  ██
        ▀██▀            ▀███▌
       ▄                  ▐██
     ▄██▀   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▐██▄
    ▄██    ██▀ ▄▄▄▄         ▀▀
 ▄███▀     █ ▄█▀ ▄▄▄           ▄██▄
██  ██     █ █  █████  █ ▄    ██  ██
 ▀██▀            ▀▀▀ ▄██ █     ███▀
     ▄            ▄▄██▀ ▄█   ▄██▌
    ▀██▄          ▄▄▄▄▄█▀   ▄██
      ██▄                   ▀▀
       ▀███▄            ▄██▄
       ██  ██  ██████████  ██
        ▀██▀            ▀██▀

▄██▄            ▄██▄
       ██  ███████████ ██  ██
        ▀██▀            ▀███▌
       ▄                  ▐██
      ██▄                   ▀▀
       ▀███▄            ▄██▄
       ██  ██  ██████████  ██
        ▀██▀            ▀██▀
PRE-REGISTER NOW FOR
THE MAIN TOKENSALE

██
██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
   ██
   ██
.MONETIZE YOUR IOT DATA!.

Telegram
Twitter
▄▄███████████████████████████████████▄▄
██████████▀▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀██████████
█████████▌ ██          █▌ ██  █████████
██████████▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄  ▐█████████
█████████▀▀█████████████████  ▀████████
████████  ▄███▀ ▄▄▄▄█████████▌ ▀███████
██████▀  ▄██▀ ▄█▀ ▄▄██████████▄▄███████
███▀▀▀  ███▌ ▄█ ▄█▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀███
██▌ ██ ▐███▌ █▌ █ ▐█▌ █▌ █ ▐███  ██ ▐██
███▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄█▀ ▄█ ▐███▌  ▄▄███
███████▀▀██████████▄▄▄▄█▀ ▄███▀  ██████
███████▄  █████████▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀  ███████
████████▄  ▀█████████████████▄▄████████
██████████    ▀██████████▀▀▀▀██████████
██████████▌ ██ ▐█         ██ ▐█████████
███████████▄▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄▄██████████
▀▀███████████████████████████████████▀▀
boomin

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 04:27:10 AM

I just looked at 2 diff neptune boards and they are both missing it.  Ironically these are 2 that don't currently work. 

I haven't torn down a working one.  I was hoping to get one of these going.  I have 2 sitting here that I can't get to start hashing.  All cores show voltage - they both show between 5-8w and I have tried numerous different options for speed and voltage.  Any troubleshooting advice?

Still waiting for my 3rd controller.  The tracking number you sent me was one from Hawaii to you.  I am in Vegas. 

I was able to fix 2 more controllers today.   I am confident now with controllers.  Next stop.  Cubes.

Boomin
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 04:43:43 AM

Still waiting for my 3rd controller.  The tracking number you sent me was one from Hawaii to you.  I am in Vegas. 
Close. I'm not in Hawaii (that would be cool), the Post Office is just stupid sometimes....

boomin

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 06:11:50 AM
Last edit: February 20, 2016, 06:27:04 AM by boomin

My mistake it really is going half way around the world to go to vegas? LOL USPS for the win! :/ NOT!

thanks

boomin
mmfiore

Activity: 808
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 03:18:15 PM

Why? Question: Can people who have two downed dies check this area and photograph? Because on these blown out boards of mine, that same spot where the resistor is missing is the ZERO OHM SHORT on pin 4.....

Sure enough on the other one I have that is just like the one I sent, the zero ohm resistor is missing! We have a confirmation the resistor is missing!

Good work, Lightfoot!

▄██▄            ▄██▄
       ██  ███████████ ██  ██
        ▀██▀            ▀███▌
       ▄                  ▐██
      ██▄                   ▀▀
       ▀███▄            ▄██▄
       ██  ██  ██████████  ██
        ▀██▀            ▀██▀

▄██▄            ▄██▄
       ██  ███████████ ██  ██
        ▀██▀            ▀███▌
       ▄                  ▐██
      ██▄                   ▀▀
       ▀███▄            ▄██▄
       ██  ██  ██████████  ██
        ▀██▀            ▀██▀
PRE-REGISTER NOW FOR
THE MAIN TOKENSALE

██
██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
   ██
   ██
.MONETIZE YOUR IOT DATA!.

Telegram
Twitter
▄▄███████████████████████████████████▄▄
██████████▀▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀██████████
█████████▌ ██          █▌ ██  █████████
██████████▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄  ▐█████████
█████████▀▀█████████████████  ▀████████
████████  ▄███▀ ▄▄▄▄█████████▌ ▀███████
██████▀  ▄██▀ ▄█▀ ▄▄██████████▄▄███████
███▀▀▀  ███▌ ▄█ ▄█▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀███
██▌ ██ ▐███▌ █▌ █ ▐█▌ █▌ █ ▐███  ██ ▐██
███▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄█▀ ▄█ ▐███▌  ▄▄███
███████▀▀██████████▄▄▄▄█▀ ▄███▀  ██████
███████▄  █████████▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀  ███████
████████▄  ▀█████████████████▄▄████████
██████████    ▀██████████▀▀▀▀██████████
██████████▌ ██ ▐█         ██ ▐█████████
███████████▄▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄▄██████████
▀▀███████████████████████████████████▀▀
sobe-it

Activity: 453
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 12:22:47 AM

Well i finally was able to format a damn micro sd. It did the whole light show and i can log into it via firefox. I plug a asic into it and it sees it but wont hash.... could be because these are Jupiter boards or the asics are toast. Not worth my time really, need to find a ok working Neptune with at least one working die to see if these controllers are good.
Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 11:45:41 AM

Reserved for something.

Can you fix  Kncminer Titan Issues including .8v idle dies (asic 5) or missing Die (asic 2)?

Click to enlarge
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 04:36:29 PM

Reserved for something.

Can you fix  Kncminer Titan Issues including .8v idle dies (asic 5) or missing Die (asic 2)?

Click to enlarge
For Asic 2 it looks like one of the two supplies is out. Try running it at 100-200mh and see if it adds to your hashing.

For Asic5, that's the question we're trying to figure out.

lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 05:16:47 PM

Sunday morning work: Pin 4 has been identified which fixes the issue on the +3.3v supply going to power the LM75, EEPROM, and one of the level converter buffers. Will clean up the board in a bit.

The other is an issue: Pin 6 is still shorted and on the first board was shorted hard. It powers the other 3 converter chips, and I just found out this morning (by looking at a scrapped Neptune board which I had lifted the chip) that it also goes to the hashing chip on eight separate pins. So that's the supply for the housekeeping circuits on the hashing engines. Mystery solved.

The question is what to do about it: I can try forcing up to 5 amps of current to see if I can get the line to 3.3v, letting the shorted die roll in which case I need to put everything back together here. I'll try that this morning now that I have pin 4 and 8 repaired. That might be enough to get at least one engine running, which would give me a foundation to test other things.

Holding off on other work on the Titan with the missing jumper for now, I want to see if I can trace out that specific line on a Neptune first.
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 05:20:26 PM

Reserved for something.

Click to enlarge
For Asic 2 it looks like one of the two supplies is out. Try running it at 100-200mh and see if it adds to your hashing.

For Asic5, that's the question we're trying to figure out.

Hmmm so a guy can run 1/2 die? So set 200 at 0.0366 and tweak down if it don't take?

Details? I got at least 1of my 2 dead dies like this

If I remember right my other looks like his 2nd one too

Thanks

Edit meant die 2 on his asic 5cube only the others work

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
Maxumark

Activity: 159
Merit: 108

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 06:40:37 PM

Reserved for something.

Click to enlarge

Try running cube 5 with all dies at 150Mhz, and I see you have die 4 undervolted 1 full volt. It wont run that far undervolted. Set it back to the stock -0.0366 setting and see what you get. IF you get any to run you can step up the Mhz as you go to see where they quit working. I would also inspect with a flashlight where the cooler is mounted to the chip to confirm that the cooler is firmly mounted on the chip with no space at all. 

Mining LTC and other alts since 2014 when I thought I missed the BTC train.
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 08:05:29 PM

Hmmm so a guy can run 1/2 die? So set 200 at 0.0366 and tweak down if it don't take?

Thanks

I've seen it twice where one of the two supplies dies and the unit is not shorted. The issue is the remaining supply tries to power the die and if more than 50% total hash is requested supply 2 will crowbar and shut down. So I try those at 1/2 speed first (well, 100mhz) then step up.

Replacing the power supply is possible, but to be honest such a pain it's not worth it if you can get 50% hashing.
hawkfish007

Activity: 895
Merit: 504

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 08:23:03 PM

Thanks

I've seen it twice where one of the two supplies dies and the unit is not shorted. The issue is the remaining supply tries to power the die and if more than 50% total hash is requested supply 2 will crowbar and shut down. So I try those at 1/2 speed first (well, 100mhz) then step up.

Replacing the power supply is possible, but to be honest such a pain it's not worth it if you can get 50% hashing.

I have 3 dies out of 3 cubes that show low current, low power and low temperature but voltage seems to be on par with working dies. No matter what settings I use they stay the same. Surprisingly, the other 3 dies of each cube hash at 325 MHz.

For quality risers, splitters or 133 CFM fans, please visit my eBay listings,
http://www.ebay.com/sch/hawkfish007/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 09:38:15 PM

Thanks

I have 3 dies out of 3 cubes that show low current, low power and low temperature but voltage seems to be on par with working dies. No matter what settings I use they stay the same. Surprisingly, the other 3 dies of each cube hash at 325 MHz.

I'm wondering if these were binned from the factory. They promise 300mh per four cubes, 3 cubes with 4 dies, one with two. Or something like that. The missing jumpers is kind of odd, they go somewhere.

Meantime I'm back to square 1.5 with the blown titan board, I hooked up a second engine and the thing now shuts down the supply with pin 8 connected agian. Back to drawing board another day, I need to cook some food.

anyone else got jumper news?
boomin

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 09:40:23 PM

Lightfoot -

I just got some Titans and a controller and I have them working - 2 of them working on all dies - and 2 spotty at best.  I am happy to help if you need anything tested or otherwise.  I also bought the custom firmware to play with.  So far so good!

Thanks,

Boomin
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 10:07:55 PM

Lightfoot -

I just got some Titans and a controller and I have them working - 2 of them working on all dies - and 2 spotty at best.  I am happy to help if you need anything tested or otherwise.  I also bought the custom firmware to play with.  So far so good!

Thanks,

Boomin
Well those are worth something :-) If you dare take them apart and post a picture of each board at high resolution so we can try to compare what is what and where is where.

And never plug a suspect Titan into a working string of them without testing first :-)
Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 10:23:43 PM
Last edit: February 21, 2016, 10:39:57 PM by Tupsu

.........Why? Question: Can people who have two downed dies check this area and photograph? Because on these blown out boards of mine, that same spot where the resistor is missing is the ZERO OHM SHORT on pin 4.....

Something is up here.

Missing resistor from 0.8V Idle cube.

Click to enlarge

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  

Jump to: