Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 08:08:21 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »
  Print  
Author Topic: what happens to Bitcoin if internet goes down?  (Read 34259 times)
Flozbrand

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

@flozbrand - Follow us on Twitter!

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2016, 03:28:55 PM

If internet goes down permanently Bitcoin is obviously gone. But you will have much bigger problems than that.

If it goes down short-term, you will see a large sell off right after but it would probably come back right away.
Even though its no point in speculating on this really. If something like it would happen, so much could happen. Depends on very many different factors.
BTCLovingDude
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1010

BTC to the moon is inevitable...

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2016, 03:33:11 PM

If internet goes down permanently Bitcoin is obviously gone. But you will have much bigger problems than that.

If it goes down short-term, you will see a large sell off right after but it would probably come back right away.
Even though its no point in speculating on this really. If something like it would happen, so much could happen. Depends on very many different factors.

if (in a million years) internet goes down everywhere nobody has access to anything to sell bitcoin.

also after it comes back, if anybody sends a tx that would probably become a fork and there would be an agreement to start the blockchain from before the going down.

--looking for signature--
hawkins

Activity: 1204
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 03:35:56 PM

if Internet goes down we are back to the stone age, so we will not be needing bitcoin and only need animal skin to trade for fire.
thats true we wouldnt have any real currency we have right now because the world is very dependable on internet connection nowadays

i hope that this will never happen as not only bitcoin would disappear but all the world would be in deep chaos
yes, hopefully this will never happen, if the Internet disappeared probably the same man as in the stone age. if the Internet is slowing down, perhaps very many people who sell bitcoin that may make the price fall, or even disappear. it was terrible
enhu
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1018

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 03:59:24 PM

if Internet goes down we are back to the stone age, so we will not be needing bitcoin and only need animal skin to trade for fire.
thats true we wouldnt have any real currency we have right now because the world is very dependable on internet connection nowadays

i hope that this will never happen as not only bitcoin would disappear but all the world would be in deep chaos
yes, hopefully this will never happen, if the Internet disappeared probably the same man as in the stone age. if the Internet is slowing down, perhaps very many people who sell bitcoin that may make the price fall, or even disappear. it was terrible

if bitcoin disappears over night then no one call even sell their bitcoin and we all go back to fiat. once the ww3 started, internet may shutdown and who knows when it will be back. if it took 50 years, i don't think we all can still spend out bitcoin. the only we can trade by then are simply food and water.

██████████ BitcoinCleanUp.comDebunking Bitcoin's Energy Use ██████████
██████████                Twitter#EndTheFUD                 ██████████
jethrorn99

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 04:01:07 PM

If internet goes down.. well... Bitcoin is gone aswell.

You can't do transaction, sell your bitcoin, nor buying it.

It will be nothing.
Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 04:04:08 PM

Let's be realistic here. Internet is not gonna disappear over night. To shaken pillars of global network some huge catastrophe would need to happen first.
Global nuclear war, huge EMP blast, Sun emitting some kind of solar flare etc. - if any kind of event of that magnitude will happen I would rather worry about my life than anything else - including BTC.
GamingBro

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 04:14:14 PM

Let's be realistic here. Internet is not gonna disappear over night. To shaken pillars of global network some huge catastrophe would need to happen first.
Global nuclear war, huge EMP blast, Sun emitting some kind of solar flare etc. - if any kind of event of that magnitude will happen I would rather worry about my life than anything else - including BTC.

It's easy to get EMP blast need just wait for world war III and than internet can be destroyed. But it wont happen soon i think so internet will live and bitcoin too.

jethrorn99

Activity: 224

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 04:23:16 PM

It's easy to get EMP blast need just wait for world war III and than internet can be destroyed. But it wont happen soon i think so internet will live and bitcoin too.
EMP is expensive you know. And using EMP in every places with internet will cost alot of money.

Even in WW3, using EMP everywhere is dumb.

Slowturtleinc

Activity: 84

View Profile
March 27, 2016, 07:16:30 PM

Internet goes down I am going to need a new way of living. Imagine the banks go down as well, so it would not take long for the dark stuff to bubble up.
Worrying about bitcoin will be far from my thoughts.

██████████            Gunthar: Fast and Serious Lending Service
█████████       ●●●● ●●● - ●●● - ●●● - ●●● - ●●● - ●●● - ●●● ●●●●
██████████    ●●●● Don't loose your collateral: refinance with us ●●●●
storyrelativity

Activity: 98

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
March 28, 2016, 12:54:12 AM

If the happens the bitcoin goes down many people sure will buy more bitcoin. And poeple wait to increase again the bitcoin price in the market. But don't worry bitcoin not going down fastly. Bitcoin going up daily. Wink love BTC

██████████    YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange - Over 350 coins
█████████    <<  ● $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$   >>
██████████    <<  ● Play DICE! Win 1-5 btc just for 5 mins!  >>
ripplehd

Activity: 154

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
March 28, 2016, 01:29:41 AM

i dont get why no one makes a bitcoin bank building somewhere so then you can get the virtual and physical
 currency just like a real bank

kenot21

Activity: 196

View Profile
March 28, 2016, 02:17:19 AM

If the happens the bitcoin goes down many people sure will buy more bitcoin. And poeple wait to increase again the bitcoin price in the market. But don't worry bitcoin not going down fastly. Bitcoin going up daily. Wink love BTC

how can you buy bitcoin if the internet is down??. you can't. I think you misinterpret the question, and didn't really understand it.
If internet goes down, you can't do anything to bitcoin. But i think the most important part is the whole world will get affected.
i think it's not likely gonna happen.
Wendigo
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036

View Profile
March 28, 2016, 03:14:23 AM

If the Internet goes down the Bitcoin network will cease to exist along with it because there will be now way of propagating the transactions any more. The banks and other digital wallets like PayPal and Skrill will be affected too however I am not sure what will happen to paper money and whether fiat will lose value or not but I think people that have been stocking up on precious metals like gold or silver will have a better time because gold has been a medium of exchange for centuries.
jkrules

Activity: 210

View Profile
March 28, 2016, 03:18:34 AM

i dont get why no one makes a bitcoin bank building somewhere so then you can get the virtual and physical
 currency just like a real bank

I think there is no way you can trade Bitcoin if the internet goes down, unless if someone invented a new technology that has the same function with internet.
uname

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 28, 2016, 03:51:04 AM

I think if the internet down. all banking activities and others will stack and stops. people will not be able to withdraw money from bank merkea. we're in the stone age

23dzmaz

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 28, 2016, 04:35:26 AM

I think if the internet down. all banking activities and others will stack and stops. people will not be able to withdraw money from bank merkea. we're in the stone age

Yeah, if the internet down we will back into old era that no email, no media social, no online currencies. Bitcoin will dead and human job will be more harder.
LayTheHorseTipster

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2016, 04:47:29 AM

If there is no internet anymore you shouldn't be worry about bitcoin, because that means the world has something much more serious issue.
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
March 28, 2016, 05:27:27 AM

Well this day and age the internet is just like a utility and a lot of other things would break as well, arguably more important than just Bitcoin. If it was just the internet, there are other means of communications, such as private networks, ham radio, etc. that the super dedicated could probably figure out a way to make it work.
bamboylee

Activity: 1148
Merit: 504

View Profile
March 28, 2016, 07:23:02 AM

given the cayos happening in the world i wouldn't be surprised of nuclear war and in this case i would expect internet disruption question is what happens to Bitcoin if internet goes down?

home internet and mobile internet goes down

do not mean trade bitcoin to buy/sell i mean using it as a way of payment say you wanted to send money to someone abroad for family far away

You do not have to worry about that, you have survival to worry. If everything collapse after a nuclear war, there will chaos and a fight for survival for sure. You don't have the need for bitcoin or any currency because looting will be rampant.
BitcoinAccepted
Legendary

Activity: 2660
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 28, 2016, 09:08:56 AM

Not sure what all the references to Stone Age are about?

Internet has been widely in public use for 20 - 30 years. Public financial institutions have been around forever.

The oldest still running bank dates from 1472. Deposits and currency exchange have been around for a couple of thousand years, loans and bursaries for over 4000 years.

The worlds financial systems have adapted to the Internet not the other way round. Bitcoin is a product of the possibilities of Internet connectivity but deep down the blockchain is a ledger and nothing more, I can imagine ways the principle could still exist without the internet.

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »
  Print  

Jump to: