Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:09:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »
  Print  
Author Topic: what happens to Bitcoin if internet goes down?  (Read 34254 times)
severaldetails

Activity: 959
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 01, 2016, 01:15:06 PM

I am wondering a few things about that theoretical internet go-down:
If just the internet went out, but my computer is still running, could I still make transactions, and confirm them myself by running a mining softwear and finding a matching block?
How would a lack of internet influence the difficulty in mining?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
trickshot22

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 01, 2016, 02:32:50 PM

If that happens then no one will be able to send bitcoins to their friends and family.  We all know that bitcoin is a crypto currency done digitally.  Every transactions were made through smartphones and computers and run by the internet.  If that happens then people will just go back to old days like sending their money thru cash remittances.
you are right, that would be terrible as it would have a disastrous effect on bitcoin and bitcoins would just be destroyed and thats it, i would have to use paper money again
Xenophoto

Activity: 826
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 01, 2016, 03:26:19 PM

If Internet goes down, there will be no Bitcoin transaction since it is all done online. In case the whole Internet data gets deleted, then Blockchain will be one of them. Bitcoin is just a data, so if the whole system is wiped out, then we will have to start from square one. Otherwise, when the Internet goes back, it'll be like the same as what it was before it went down. Nothing removed, nothing added.

dinda22
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 01, 2016, 03:33:28 PM

Internet is vital for bitcoin, even when the technology is always using the internet.
if Internet down, all will die and Also we are most likely to live like antiquity, live without internet.
Whosdaddy

Activity: 1148
Merit: 527

View Profile
September 01, 2016, 04:47:50 PM

If that happens then no one will be able to send bitcoins to their friends and family.  We all know that bitcoin is a crypto currency done digitally.  Every transactions were made through smartphones and computers and run by the internet.  If that happens then people will just go back to old days like sending their money thru cash remittances.
you are right, that would be terrible as it would have a disastrous effect on bitcoin and bitcoins would just be destroyed and thats it, i would have to use paper money again
Bitcoin will simply just stop functioning as it is, just like every other things that are internet-based.

Bitcoin's not only going to be one suffering from a loss of use. However, the bitcoins aren't lost since it's saved on a local server. Once internet is back up again, then miners would be able to continue working and bitcoin transactions are confirmed and coins circulating once again.
BeginnerCoin

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2016, 06:17:39 PM

Bitcoin will simply just stop functioning as it is, just like every other things that are internet-based.

Bitcoin's not only going to be one suffering from a loss of use. However, the bitcoins aren't lost since it's saved on a local server. Once internet is back up again, then miners would be able to continue working and bitcoin transactions are confirmed and coins circulating once again.

Agreed, same as an website or other 'cloud' service.  Unless the machines were wiped due an massive magnetic pulse, the network would just halt until the connections came back alive and it would function as normal.

BeginnerCoin (BGNR):
The Beginner-Friendly, Freely-Distributed Cryptocurrency for Everyone
shugareward

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 01, 2016, 06:44:55 PM

if internet goes down then bitcoin would also go down to be honest and i think never good would happen
Akupuniard

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2016, 06:58:56 PM

Nothing, cause internet can't litterally go down, at my opinion somewhere internet will be anyway, and data is always saving on different devices.

bravehearth0319

Activity: 1022

View Profile
September 01, 2016, 07:19:41 PM

given the cayos happening in the world i wouldn't be surprised of nuclear war and in this case i would expect internet disruption question is what happens to Bitcoin if internet goes down?

home internet and mobile internet goes down

do not mean trade bitcoin to buy/sell i mean using it as a way of payment say you wanted to send money to someone abroad for family far away

If that happen I think that will be a big problem of bitcoin, also for the bitcoin community also. I think bitcoin must study about connecting it in offline store so that even internet goes down bitcoin will continually exist and be usefull to any bitcoin user's.
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
September 01, 2016, 07:26:34 PM

Bitcoin transactions, mining, and other bitcoin activities are linked and processed online through the internet. Without the internet people cannot use, buy and sell bitcoins. In short it will be the end of bitcoins. Fiat currency is declared the winner and will be used for generations. Saying goodbye to internet is saying goodbye to bitcoin and the whole cryptocurrency economy.

Well if that really happen it will gonna be the saddest part to all bitcoin enthusiast including myself that all my dreams will totally affected and all believing of mine in bitcoin will also be shutdown. Oh my! I wish it will not be happen..

No worries, such a scenario will not happen in the current modern time. Internet going down is definitely possible, but more on a very small scale and just temporarily. Bitcoin miners and nodes are nicely spread around the world to keep everything running nice and smooth even when a certain country gets problems with their internet.
dearbesz1219

Activity: 924

View Profile
September 01, 2016, 07:28:43 PM

given the cayos happening in the world i wouldn't be surprised of nuclear war and in this case i would expect internet disruption question is what happens to Bitcoin if internet goes down?

do not mean trade bitcoin to buy/sell i mean using it as a way of payment say you wanted to send money to someone abroad for family far away

If internet goes down, Honestly, It will be goodbye to all of us we bitcoin believer are gonna be frustrated if this things happen. I guess its only a discussion not happen in real.
bitboy11

Activity: 534

View Profile
September 01, 2016, 07:32:43 PM

It won't go down until everybody is fully integrated with IoT microchipping!
Then when everyone is connected online in the cloud like the Borg Collective, somebody will shut down the internet and you will all run around like headless chickens!

LOL!!! Grin
0day

Activity: 742

Hire me for your campaign management.

View Profile
September 01, 2016, 08:29:27 PM

Basically if the internet goes down bit coin goes down. As far as i know bitcoin fully relies on internet so there's that. If you are talking about just down for a few weeks then probably bitcoin would get worthless again after that but might rise.

But I don't think that internet will ever go down, as almost all companies, businesses and individuals are dependent on internet and in future we will see more advancements in internet features.

It is possible that internet will crash if the satellites will be destroyed or there will be a huge war and all telecommunication lines including internet will go offline. That also may be the case of bitcoin, without the internet bitcoin will become  a waste. But it is far from reality at this moment s there is no need to worry.

You are right the world is now going towards peace, and every issue is solved without any fight, so we do not have to worry about that internet will go down because of any hard destruction and we will lose bitcoin.

Hire me for your campaign management
SmartIphone
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile
September 01, 2016, 08:41:18 PM

If the internet goes down then the 'internet' will be transformed to LAN or/and to MAN(metropolitan area network, smaller than WAN).
And bitcoin would be hard to be operate because there are required the nodes, miners to confirm that transaction so I think bitcoin popularity will decrease too low.
Osarman

Activity: 952
Merit: 503

View Profile
September 01, 2016, 08:43:25 PM

bitcoin is depend on internet if internet goes down bitcoin will be also does down because there is all people are using bitcoin through internet and if internet goes down we can not be able to trade bitcoin.
fkvidar

Activity: 924

View Profile
September 01, 2016, 09:32:46 PM

bitcoin is depend on internet if internet goes down bitcoin will be also does down because there is all people are using bitcoin through internet and if internet goes down we can not be able to trade bitcoin.

Yes bitcoin is totally dependent on internet, if internet disappears then surely bitcoin will also follow the same footsteps but those things are unlikely to happen in future.
outatime1

Activity: 364
Merit: 254

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
September 01, 2016, 10:35:31 PM

The blockchain should be intact unless there was a worldwide outage that affected the internet. If that happened, it's possible that the blockchain would be lost, but there would be many other things lost as well.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
YoBit AirDrop $|
Get 700 YoDollars for Free!
🏆
SquallLeonhart
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1101

View Profile
September 01, 2016, 10:44:14 PM

The blockchain should be intact unless there was a worldwide outage that affected the internet. If that happened, it's possible that the blockchain would be lost, but there would be many other things lost as well.

Don't worry that will never happen, internet may go down for few hours but disappearing permanently is never gonna happen, so relax and keep on earning bitcoins.
20kevin20
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1597

View Profile
September 01, 2016, 10:50:46 PM

Don't worry that will never happen, internet may go down for few hours but disappearing permanently is never gonna happen, so relax and keep on earning bitcoins.

What about a global conflict? What about the collapse of the system caused by who knows what..? Nobody will pay for Internet. Therefore, nobody will have it. That means the end of BTC as we know it.
a7mos

Activity: 574

View Profile
September 01, 2016, 10:53:10 PM

Id the internet went down ? why would this happen ? there are dozens of companies that works only online and their market value is more than all the bitcoin that has ever exist. so those companies won't let something like this to happen
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »
  Print  

Jump to: