Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 03:20:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... 87 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Holdings of gold vs Holdings of btc  (Read 62725 times)
BTC-king

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 10:17:37 AM

I hold about 4 % of my net worth in gold compared to a whopping 30% for bitcoin. Am I normal?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 10:19:23 AM

Similar to oil, Gold's value is mainly decided by supply and demand dynamics, and mining technology is improving every day. If some deep mining technology is gaining momentum, you might see much larger amount of gold dig out everyday, sending its value down

Bitcoin however, supply is fixed schedule, never changes, very predictable, but its demand is uncertain right now

The digging rate of gold out of current known pockets is also quite steady, but new technologies to extract it from the seas might have a huge influence.

What I would be more afraid of is governments needing to sell their gold. Look what happened when Switzerland was debating about selling a major portion of its gold. Most gold is currently not moving (similar to bitcoin) and those starting to move would be very bad for the price.
helloeverybody (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2015, 10:43:07 AM

I reclaimed some gold from escrap but  it's safe to say I hold more in Bitcoin.

azguard
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001

Crypto-News.net: News from Crypto World

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 11:22:49 AM

i keep in gold some also i have more in btc and invested in some altcoin
i also have safe in bank i keep some amount of cash in euro (in my country is different currency)
so i can tell that i have little bit of everything i think that is good thing to do

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄██████████████████▄
       ▄████████████████████████▄
 ▄▄  ▄████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████████▄
 ▀▀█████████████████████████████████▄
   ██████████████████████████████████
   ▀████████████████████████████████▀
    ▀██████████████████████████████▀
     ▀▀██████████████████████████▀
        ▀██████████████████████▀
           ▀▀▀████████████▀▀▀

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 11:28:05 AM

Are you including central banks etc.

In countries like India its cultural to hold.

Bitcoin is a drop in the ocean compared to market cap of gold.

snip

this only mean that bitcoin need more time, do not forget that bitcoin is six year old, gold 200, not comprable

all i can see is that gold at peak was only 2k, bitcoin reach 1200 in just 4 years, so i see a better proposal for bitcoin than gold
markj113
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1043

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 11:48:03 AM

snip

this only mean that bitcoin need more time, do not forget that bitcoin is six year old, gold 200, not comprable

all i can see is that gold at peak was only 2k, bitcoin reach 1200 in just 4 years, so i see a better proposal for bitcoin than gold

Gold will always be gold, technology advances at an exponential rate.

Something bigger and better than bitcoin could be released tomorrow with support from large organisations and governments killing bitcoin off overnight.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 03:28:17 PM

snip

Gold will always be gold, technology advances at an exponential rate.

Something bigger and better than bitcoin could be released tomorrow with support from large organisations and governments killing bitcoin off overnight.

this is not as true as many believe, bitcoin is already very hard to kill, and anyway anyone joining the network with big hash, would take the profit, it would make any sense to do the opposite
Snorek
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 03:39:57 PM

The problem with holding BTC is that we don't have slightest idea how it will scale in the future. Gold is commodity and its status won't change - probably ever.
Bitcoin, however, could be harmed by potentially unfavorable laws and restrictions in the future.
BigBoy89
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 04:04:29 PM
Last edit: December 20, 2015, 03:56:31 PM by Cyrus

Does anyone have any idea how many people are using gold as a store of value vs btc?  And how long do you think until we have the same user Base as holders of gold?

Holding btc is more valuable than gold .
Bitcoin prices can anytime go to top level and easily you can sell or buy it with more comfort and ease than gold.
Also gold is very old and not more appreciated by people now. Modern technology uses modern things.

Of course it is. Bitcoin is just starting up and it is still trying to find its correct price. Gold has already stabilised in price, so you won't earn much if you invest in gold now.

Yes indeed the pace at which Bitcoin's value is increasing is much much more when compared with the value of gold it's just the matter of stability. Risk takers and wanna be achievers will go with Bitcoin while people with narrow mind will go with gold.
Of course it is. Bitcoin is just starting up and it is still trying to find its correct price. Gold has already stabilised in price, so you won't earn much if you invest in gold now.

.AMEPAY.
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
│▌
       AMEPAY IEO       
▄██████▄ ▀██████▄
█████████  ▀█████
███████▀     ▀███
██████▀  ▄█▄  ▀██
██████▄  ▀█▀  ▄██
███████▄     ▄███
█████████  ▄█████
▀██████▀ ▄██████▀
   AMEPAY LISTING   
   ▐███▄
   ████▌
▐██████████▄
████████████
 ████▌  █████
▐████  ▄████
██████████▀
 ▀█████▀▀
▐│
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
vero

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 08:46:38 AM

Holding gold you won't make that much profit in a long term.
If the IMF adds the Yuan to the list of international currencies, the US dollar will start it's inevitable decline and gold will go up. Quite a bit, I think

HarryKPeters

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Live Stars - Adult Streaming Platform

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 08:55:19 AM

I own maybe 1% gold of my net worth. To me gold is stable but i prefer to follow stock markets etc. So i decided to invest more in stocks bonds etc.
In time, I do expect to increase my gold holdings...or have more funds into bitcoin.

Hannu

Activity: 1061
Merit: 502

RIP: S5, A faithful device long time

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 09:49:35 AM

I think is now better hold bitcoins, later invest to gold. Hope BitStamp goes about 1200 dollars/BTC. Smiley

BTC: 3Qnnx4cu45Gx4WcksNCnBPu3TaUZ5sKkLo
LTC: LYX1ZH7f4qcXq52AzA6grUYDfDngVz7BEi
XRP: rLrbZMJDdL8eQd7HsW314bCtvE16LTLYkM?dt=1113
jt byte

Activity: 994

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 10:38:15 AM

You can hold both if you want. I just prefer bitcoin, because is easy to do.
What I like the most about bitcoin is that have low fees and later a few years in can go to 1500 dollars.
markj113
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1043

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 12:00:10 PM

Holding gold you won't make that much profit in a long term.
If the IMF adds the Yuan to the list of international currencies, the US dollar will start it's inevitable decline and gold will go up. Quite a bit, I think

That's already happened a few weeks back Smiley
tyz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1531

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 03:40:48 PM

It is. I could not believe it either, when I heard some months ago that the Indian government wants to stop the import of Gold because of the negative trade balance. Then I read this interesting article from The Economist.
http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2013/11/economist-explains-11

It is a cultural thing to buy and hold gold in India really? I didn't know that.
EdenHazard
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1048

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 09:10:36 AM

Does anyone have any idea how many people are using gold as a store of value vs btc?  And how long do you think until we have the same user Base as holders of gold?
i dont have idea how many people hold gold and bitcoin,but for now,I am sure, holder of gold have more than bitcoin holders for now, but I do not know a few years later, the number may be the same,even that nearly impposible,because gold have physical,and gold can be used as jewerly,but bitcoin can't.

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
avw1982

Activity: 644

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 12:01:15 PM

The problem with holding BTC is that we don't have slightest idea how it will scale in the future. Gold is commodity and its status won't change - probably ever.
Bitcoin, however, could be harmed by potentially unfavorable laws and restrictions in the future.
Bitcoin is not like gold as standard as you said But price comparison of the bitcoin and gold is very far. Bitcoin is not harmful its accepting by many companies now a days Until people knows gold have this value, No one was think about gold also same condition for Bitcoin now Its already spreading. It will reach all common people in the world.
AZwarel

Activity: 401
Merit: 280

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 12:16:12 PM

Mineral apple vs digital orange. Gold is physical, bitcoin is mathematical. Move around a few protons and you get Hg/Pt, yes it is high energy consuming but doable. You can not modify a single bit in bitcoin and come to an usable "item".

Gold has already failed to be the abstraction of 'money'; the moment a piece of paper saying "i am x amount of gold in y vault in z country" became accepted as money (due to its' lower transaction cost), gold ceased to be circulating in real life economy as a tool for value of exchange - due its very high transaction cost -; try buying anything with physical gold in an everyday real life store, it is nearly impossible - not like bitcoin, and it will have more and more of those stores- , unless you convert it to say like paper money first, so at best it is a money surrogate. Also, if gold failed once to stop fiat becoming de facto "money", it will fail again in the future.

If we accept that money is an abstraction for value to be used in exchanges (trade), than, from the technical point of view (medium of exchange), the perfect money is an abstraction itself: a digital good. It is precisely because gold has other, physical uses - electronics, medical, jewelry as status symbol, etc- which make it less than optimal. It can go to be used as an industrial good suddenly from hold of value, if that value is getting on pair with its physical utility in electronics in one day - in other words, if it gets cheap enough, we rather "use it up" in everyday items - computers, cables etc, than store it in the vault.

Bitcoin on the other hand is programmable. Since the abstraction of money is just a public agreement - totally arbitrary -, and bitcoin can be made - and already is- widely more useful than gold (gold is just sitting there, you have to store it, guard it, transport it physically - it is heavy!, you can not divide/add it up on whim, it is hard to proof it is "real" in everyday use, etc). Technologically it is far more superior.

Of course, some argue, that without the internet, there is no bitcoin. News flash: without the internet, there is no global economy, power grid management, transportation, and in days, there is no food in any major city. Than you can trade your bag of gold for a bag of potatoes, like people do in war zones...Just a hint Smiley
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 01:41:25 PM

I hold about 4 % of my net worth in gold compared to a whopping 30% for bitcoin. Am I normal?

Since Bitcoin is an extremely high risk investment, I'd say that you are having too many bitcoins and far less bullion bars / coins. My net worth is around $80,000. Out of that 90% is in real estate (which I consider as a low risk investment). Of the remaining, 5% is in stocks and mutual funds, 4% in Bitcoin, and 1% in bullion.
knowhow

Activity: 560

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 07:10:29 PM

Gold has a bigger interest because is material ,and all people loove to have it ,being a ring or other thing,bitcoin is just virtual soo people dont see it the same way as gold,even both becoming to be ending.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... 87 »
  Print  

Jump to: