Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 04:30:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 83
  Print  
Author Topic: What would happen if BTC was Banned?  (Read 65805 times)
Blawpaw (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1027

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 04:23:14 PM

What do you guys think it would happen if all the governments in the world declared bitcoin to be illegal?
How do you think the community would react? What could be the possible solutions?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 04:29:09 PM

i would continue to use, good luck track me if i can buy face to face and hold my fortune in bitcoin

many things are banned, but they are still used
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 6108

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 04:31:47 PM

What do you guys think it would happen if all the governments in the world declared bitcoin to be illegal?
How do you think the community would react? What could be the possible solutions?

I'm not sure what do you mean by "banning" , If you mean become illegal to use then I think people will simply don't care because they can't be tracked or at least it will be hard to do and they will keep using it (I know I will) .
If you mean that they will make it impossible to use then I don't think it's possible to do unless they shutdown the whole internet which they won't of course .
So whatever they do I guess the bitcoin community will just continue to use Bitcoins .

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 04:50:17 PM

If Bitcoin is banned, bitcoiners would be criminals and the exchange rate would go up. That's about it.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
Dr.Osh
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1004

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 05:01:02 PM

if it happens it will be very much bitcoin criminals of this world, a player bitcoin will not stop just because bitcoin be illegal, because it was so many people in this world whose lives depend on bitcoin

.SUGAR.
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
██████               ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 05:05:19 PM

Bitcoin can't be banned permanently and totally. That is a fact, there will be always places where bitcoin will be fully legal.
If bitcoin would banned in one country then use exchanges located in another country to trade coins it is not that someone can tell that you have bitcoin stashed on your machines.
damiano
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

103 days, 21 hours and 10 minutes.

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 05:17:33 PM

* However unlikely and practically impossible that scenario is I will answer anyway - Nothing would happen that doesn't now just a move from centralized to decentralized. Not sure what would happen to the forum especially the trading and exchange! Guess it would be closed.

* We may lose a few community members a long the way but it would not be a big deal because we probaby would have lost them anyway. The rest would get smarter.

* The solution would be to continue as is but taking better precautions than we already do. Bitcoiners are not stupid (well the majority aren't) Also there are decentralized exchanges with smart contracts in the alt world that can be used for btc as the main exchange.

Saying that imo there will be no ban on bitcoin as they will see it is near impossible to enforce with decentralized exchanges popping up for trading coins and goods. In my mind they could only regulate and ban centralized exchanges and services.
Your Point Is Invalid

Activity: 756
Merit: 510

Dear me, I think I'm becoming a god

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2015, 05:20:15 PM

The governments of the world cant ban bitcoin, its loo hard, they will have to block thousands of websites and access the computers of their citizens in search for evidence of bitcoin use, its just not worth it

keepdoing

Activity: 140
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 05:24:54 PM

It would depend on how aggressively they backed enforcement / penalty.  Drugs are illegal, but the drug trade continues.  But people are also currently sitting in jails for long periods of time because they got caught using/trading in drugs.

Under your scenario, it would most likely become a self-fulfilling prophecy that bitcoin would slink into the dark underbelly of society.  Most people would avoid it like the plague.  There would be NO MORE upward price volatility at all.  Initially it would drop like a rock in price, then it would most likely establish a baseline black market price.

But wait!  Even for this to black market scenario to happen, you still need miners.  Again, finding and jailing the miners would be childs play for the authorities, even if any existed that were willing to work at high risk for low monetary return.

So in the end it depends on whether or not the authorities enforce the declaration of illegality, or if they allow it to live in a black market environment.  They could kill it, or they could let it live a crippled miserable existence,a nd people would use it at their peril.

One thing is for sure.... most people wouldn't want to own any or touch it with a 10 foot pole.

And this is a POSSIBLE REAL FUTURE if R3CEV/HyperLedger future eventually adds the creation of it's own fedcoin into it's plans.  Right now it is possible they just start using HyperLedger with current fiat, and sort of choose Bitcoin as the primary default crypto.  But they are just saying this now as a "marketing tool" to get the central bankers signed up.  R3CEV/Hyperledger has basically won the war against Ripple/Ethereum models for a simple reason:  Basic Business 101 >> Understand your customer.  

Ripple/Ethereum said to the banks,
"We have awesom Blockchain technology,a nd you use our Cryptocurrency" .

R3CEV/Hyperledger said, "We have awesome Blockhain technology, and you can all use your existing fiat currencies."  

Customers always run to the least disruptive, simplest solution.  Ripple/Ethereum have been marginalized and will now begin to be regulated to either minor marketshare, or die all together.  Best to get out.

But R3CEV/HyperLedger (and I also think the big banks themselves) do subconciously (or conciously) know that ultimately all the current fiat currencies die in time and get replaced by crypto.  I have a hard time believing that they aren't seriously looking at the option to develop their own Bitcoin Killer FiatCoin.  

But R3CEV/HyperLedger won't be able to, or won't put the effort into, creating its own FiatCoin  if Bitcoin is able to get a bigger toehold into mainstream society before R3CEV/Hyperledger becomes firmly entrenched and rolled out to masses.  In that case I think the end game will be that Bitcoin emerges as THE Global Currency, monitored through the Fiat Blockchain that R3CEV/HyperLedger creates for the world's governments and banks.  So it is a footrace as to what the end result it.

Nothing is established.  Very god topic / question.  It is a realistically possible scenario at some point.
target
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1041

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 05:27:54 PM

The governments of the world cant ban bitcoin, its loo hard, they will have to block thousands of websites and access the computers of their citizens in search for evidence of bitcoin use, its just not worth it

Thats not necessary to do in order for them to ban bitcoin. They just impose their law thats it. but even so they can't individually search who they suspected who is into btc.  
Bitcoin will survive still an might even have huge value because of it.

BTCBinary

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 05:49:42 PM

I would definitly continue to use it! Bitcoin can't be shut down unless they shut the internet down. They may turn us into criminals just for using it, but the community won't bend!
suda123

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 06:03:59 PM

if bitcoins are banned, how can we have a one world currency?
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 06:05:49 PM

That would turn bitcoin pretty much useless and worthless, it would become similar to Monopoly money.

Also, bitcoin software would become unreliable because 'official' development would stop.

oblomov

Activity: 158

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 06:15:13 PM

Then it would become more valuable.

US dollars were banned in Zimbabwe until the Zimbabwe dollar collapsed and the US dollar became the official currency.
oblomov

Activity: 158

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 06:18:54 PM

But wait!  Even for this to black market scenario to happen, you still need miners.  Again, finding and jailing the miners would be childs play for the authorities, even if any existed that were willing to work at high risk for low monetary return.

How could mining be banned?  It is simply using a distributed network of computers to solve a set of math problems.
extrabyte
Legendary

Activity: 840

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 06:33:04 PM

In some countries you are not allowed to use bitcoin, so it is a fact (not "if"), but in general it would be a less popularity and the price will be decreased.
ShrykeZ

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 06:36:45 PM

It would just move underground, though I think it would be very hard to have a global ban on Bitcoin at its current level.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 06:46:42 PM

What if all the governments in the world banned drugs? Would we live in a world without drugs?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
keepdoing

Activity: 140
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 07:02:45 PM

How could mining be banned?  It is simply using a distributed network of computers to solve a set of math problems.

If bitcoin is banned globally, then by default mining is.  If you are mining bitcoins, and bitcoins are illegal..... then the second you collect your reward and use it - you have broken the law.  And if the "Ban" is seriously enforced, then they will simply track down the Miners, and pick them off one by one.

I applaud your attempt (even though amazingly naive and idealistic) that mining is "simply using a distributed network of computers to solve a set of math problems", but my guess is that under the scenario in which all the governments of the world ban bitcoin, that anyone will be fighting a winning Supreme Court battle with that argument.  It will look really good etched in the concrete of your jail cell wall though! 

Criminal Defense: I am just a guy solving complex math!
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 07:06:02 PM

If bitcoin is banned globally, then by default mining is.  If you are mining bitcoins, and bitcoins are illegal..... then the second you collect your reward and use it - you have broken the law.  And if the "Ban" is seriously enforced, then they will simply track down the Miners, and pick them off one by one.

I applaud your attempt (even though amazingly naive and idealistic) that mining is "simply using a distributed network of computers to solve a set of math problems", but my guess is that under the scenario in which all the governments of the world ban bitcoin, that anyone will be fighting a winning Supreme Court battle with that argument.  It will look really good etched in the concrete of your jail cell wall though! 

Criminal Defense: I am just a guy solving complex math!

You have pretty similar thing with sharing illegal content via torrents (p2p). It's illegal to do so everywhere afaik, but just look how they can fight agains it - they can't, and
too add - why would they fight bitcoin is the way you are describing ? Just because it's better than any other model out there that they created ? I don't think it will ever happen.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 83
  Print  

Jump to: