Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:24:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ToominCoin aka "Bitcoin_Classic" #R3KT  (Read 157066 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
March 31, 2016, 11:19:19 AM

No, I'm not a troll, but the atmosphere in this thread has a tendency to wake up the inner trolls of all of us :/

That said I hope we manage to get a civilized, adult discussion.

... yeah right, a civilised discussion with disingenuous little weasels arguing in bad faith and an endless barrage of troll-fest questions that looks more like feeding time at the zoo. Good luck with trying to make your turd slinging session look like 'civilised discussion'.

And how many of these sudden experts and critics on segwit have commented on github, or god forbid, submitted actual code pull requests for improvements to the system they're crapping on?? ... big fat zero I can confidently guess.

Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bergmann_Christoph

Activity: 409
Merit: 286

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2016, 11:56:37 AM

But you said that SegWit enables some kind of band-width saving that is already and better possible and implemented by thinblocks.

I said it *potentially* (as a side-effect) can have some bandwith saving and in the future it WILL reduce bandwidth due to the new signature type (but only after those new signature types are being used a lot).

What I did not say was that this was comparable or better than thin blocks or other such things (please don't misquote me).

And *again* I'll state that the main purpose of SegWit has nothing to do with reducing bandwidth (so this whole new argument is actually kind of stupid).

So, ok, everything's all right. SegWit has not the purpose to reduce bandwith and it does not reduce bandwith, but it is possible that in the future things will be build on segwit that save bandwith. Ok.

If Carlton get's this too, we have achieved something today.

--
Mein Buch: Bitcoin-Buch.org
Bester Bitcoin-Marktplatz in der Eurozone: Bitcoin.de
Bestes Bitcoin-Blog im deutschsprachigen Raum: bitcoinblog.de

Tips dafür, dass ich den Blocksize-Thread mit Niveau und Unterhaltung fülle und Fehlinformationen bekämpfe:
Bitcoin: 1BesenPtt5g9YQYLqYZrGcsT3YxvDfH239
Ethereum: XE14EB5SRHKPBQD7L3JLRXJSZEII55P1E8C
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
March 31, 2016, 12:13:27 PM

No, I'm not a troll, but the atmosphere in this thread has a tendency to wake up the inner trolls of all of us :/

That said I hope we manage to get a civilized, adult discussion.

... yeah right, a civilised discussion with disingenuous little weasels arguing in bad faith and an endless barrage of troll-fest questions that looks more like feeding time at the zoo. Good luck with trying to make your turd slinging session look like 'civilised discussion'.

And how many of these sudden experts and critics on segwit have commented on github, or god forbid, submitted actual code pull requests for improvements to the system they're crapping on?? ... big fat zero I can confidently guess.

It appears that bullshit still walks, but money now codes.

Vires in numeris
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
March 31, 2016, 12:20:28 PM

Suppose that miner node (A) will send only data block to full node (B). B start looking for txs signature in its mempool. Unluckily B does not have all the txs included in the just mined block because its mempool is not perfectly in sync with the one of node A.
What happen then? Will B require those transaction to node A or to some other nodes?

if a method for request missing txs are not implemented then you left out from your description that a full node will have to receive both data block and signature block form a miner node (*). it need both to actually perform txs / block validation.

That sounds reasonable, but I expect the way it will be implemented could be a great deal more efficient if B were to send out requests for missing sigs prior to it's ability to validate a data block. And so the amount of bandwidth that would require needs accounting for, but I can't see that there won't still be an overwhelming saving in bandwidth for non-mining nodes like B. After all, missing tx's that were included in the latest block are only being relayed to B for the first time anyway, so the effect you're talking about sounds pretty marginal.

Vires in numeris
btcusury

Activity: 433
Merit: 260

View Profile
March 31, 2016, 01:39:42 PM

Why is it that everyone who supports segwit has to be a condescending asshole all the time?

This is a major question many people ask and a phenomena that made many people escape bitcoin.

The best explanation I heard was posted yesterday in another forum:

The age of deference to authority will never end. It's in our blood, a tribal instinct. That is why Core's position is the default among the unthinking masses and especially junior coders who look up to the "wizard" heroes at Core.

Over the years I have looked at many fields and found that the marks of a field being fleeced by authority figures are pretty universal. Most salient is that semantic games always figure prominently: equivocation, weasel words and vague terms like "consensus," constant goalpost shifting, appeals to tribal identity ("cypherpunks"), circular arguments rinsed down with appeals to authority, blatant double standards, censorship in the name of free speech, buzzwordism, extremely short public memory just like in political cycles, the genetic fallacy, slippery slope, etc.

Hope this helps to understand some kind of mindset without disrespecting them. Everybody is human.

You are so badly mistaken it's funny! You won't find a more anti-"authority" poster here than me (see links in sig) and I'll tell you that's it's obvious to me that the forkers have no good arguments to push their position the way they are still doing. This is about technical and philosophical arguments, which you can come to understand(/overstand/innerstand), without having to defer to some "expert". But you don't care about that, it seems. You stick to initial perceptions and assumptions. The quote you posted is extremely pertinent, but it goes both ways, you see -- the forkers really have nothing at all to their arguments except the perceived "authority" of Gavin and a few others.

What's actually happening is this:

It was inevitable that these forkers would eventually target segwit, which was widely acclaimed as a completely uncontroversial fix when it was first released.

The governance coup that they are attempting is founded on disrupting any and all progress that doesn't belong to 'their vision' of progress. If it wasn't segwit it would be whatever Core was currently working on.

And that "Hope this helps to understand some kind of mindset without disrespecting them" PC BS is incredibly self-destructive, BTW. See no evil, hear no evil, allow all evil. It's what's leading your country to a civil war!

FACT: There were hundreds of thousands of unnecessary deaths by December 2020 due to the censorship of all effective treatments (most notably ivermectin) in order to obtain EUA for experimental GT spike protein injections despite spike bioweaponization patents going back about a decade, and the manufacturers have 100% legal immunity despite long criminal histories.
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
March 31, 2016, 01:47:45 PM

With every new update of Core and new BIPs and merging of features going on the Classic supporters are getting increasingly nervous. Im sorry guys but at this point it's time to call it a day and admit that Core was the better team from the start.

https://twitter.com/bitcoincoreorg/status/715482664443052032

To the moon.
sickpig
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile
March 31, 2016, 02:12:07 PM

Suppose that miner node (A) will send only data block to full node (B). B start looking for txs signature in its mempool. Unluckily B does not have all the txs included in the just mined block because its mempool is not perfectly in sync with the one of node A.
What happen then? Will B require those transaction to node A or to some other nodes?

if a method for request missing txs are not implemented then you left out from your description that a full node will have to receive both data block and signature block form a miner node (*). it need both to actually perform txs / block validation.

That sounds reasonable, but I expect the way it will be implemented could be a great deal more efficient if B were to send out requests for missing sigs prior to it's ability to validate a data block. And so the amount of bandwidth that would require needs accounting for, but I can't see that there won't still be an overwhelming saving in bandwidth for non-mining nodes like B. After all, missing tx's that were included in the latest block are only being relayed to B for the first time anyway, so the effect you're talking about sounds pretty marginal.

You have just gave a overall description xthin block algorithm. And yes, xthin provide a pretty significant  BW saving in the block propagation step (~ an order of magnitude).

But as I've already told you that's orthogonal to SegWit, you could implement it now without SegWit.

More to the point current Segwit proposal does not implement the aforementioned mechanism and at best of my knowledge there's no plan to include it in the near future.

So it seems that we are still searching for a motivation for the 75% discount applied to witness data.

Bitcoin is a participatory system which ought to respect the right of self determinism of all of its users - Gregory Maxwell.
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2016, 02:13:50 PM

So it seems that we are still searching for a motivation for the 75% discount applied to witness data.

No we are not. The purpose of SegWit has been explained to you numerous times (and saving bandwidth is not it).

It is clear now that you are posting nonsense repeatedly just like all the other trolls (you might be being paid to post your nonsense but others will post for nothing just to point it out so that you won't "win" using this approach - there seems to be at least 10+ forum members using the exact same approach and as tiring as it is to have to keep countering it I'm going to continue to do so as it makes this approach more and more obvious and therefore less and less effective).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
sickpig
Legendary

View Profile
March 31, 2016, 02:18:49 PM

No we are not. The purpose of SegWit has been explained to you numerous times (and saving bandwidth is not it).

It is clear now that you are posting nonsense repeatedly just like all the other trolls.

Sorry but I'm actually trying to understand and I don't want to troll anyone. Just check my history to see that I've almost no tendency to trolling.

That said, if the 75% it's not due to actual bandwidth savings what are the main reason? Storage saving or future benefits?  If it's the former it seems to me that is a little bit disproportionate.

Bitcoin is a participatory system which ought to respect the right of self determinism of all of its users - Gregory Maxwell.
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2016, 02:20:10 PM

Sorry but I'm actually trying to understand and I don't want to troll anyone. Just check my history to see that I've almost no tendency to trolling.

If you're seriously not trolling then why do you keep on posting about SegWit and bandwidth savings?

(for the Nth time SegWit was not created for bandwidth savings so arguing about whether or not you'll get whatever amount of said savings is irrelevant)

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

sickpig
Legendary

View Profile
March 31, 2016, 02:24:33 PM

If you're seriously not trolling then why do you keep on posting about SegWit and bandwidth savings?

(for the Nth time SegWit was not created for bandwidth savings so arguing about whether or not you'll get whatever amount of said savings is irrelevant)

Could you please explain to me the reason why a discount of 75% is applied to signatures (witnesses) while computing block space limit?

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2016, 02:27:56 PM

Could you please explain to me the reason why a discount of 75% is applied to signatures (witnesses) while computing block space limit?

The witness information is separate to the block data (with SegWit).

I don't know where the figure 75% itself originates from but when SegWit is implemented then all such tx signatures are no longer stored in the block (thus leaving more space for more transactions in the block without changing the 1MB block size limit).

hdbuck
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 31, 2016, 02:30:18 PM

But you said that SegWit enables some kind of band-width saving that is already and better possible and implemented by thinblocks.

I said it *potentially* (as a side-effect) can have some bandwith saving and in the future it WILL reduce bandwidth due to the new signature type (but only after those new signature types are being used a lot).

What I did not say was that this was comparable or better than thin blocks or other such things (please don't misquote me).

And *again* I'll state that the main purpose of SegWit has nothing to do with reducing bandwidth (so this whole new argument is actually kind of stupid).

So, ok, everything's all right. SegWit has not the purpose to reduce bandwith and it does not reduce bandwith, but it is possible that in the future things will be build on segwit that save bandwith. Ok.

If Carlton get's this too, we have achieved something today.

at least it does not fucking increase it, weasel.
xyzzy099
Legendary

Activity: 1062
Merit: 1041

View Profile
March 31, 2016, 02:32:50 PM

Did this not answer your question?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1330553.msg14367997#msg14367997

The developers only matter when they say what you want to hear?
I've yet to see a single person who completely understands Segwit and is against it.

if you are among the group of people that completely understand SegWit, could you please explain to me the reason why a discount of 75% is applied to signatures (witnesses) while computing block space limit? (serious question)

the witness data (signatures) portion of a transaction usually makes up around 75% of the total transaction data size ... so by moving it out the main block and into a separate 'witness block' of data makes available approx. that much space in the main block for other data.

Libertarians:  Diligently plotting to take over the world and leave you alone.
sickpig
Legendary

View Profile
March 31, 2016, 02:49:55 PM

the witness data (signatures) portion of a transaction usually makes up around 75% of the total transaction data size ... so by moving it out the main block and into a separate 'witness block' of data makes available approx. that much space in the main block for other data.

Nope.

Because despite the witness segregation in a separate block my full node will receive both txs base data and witness data to perform full validation.

And because my node will have to relaying both base data and witness data to any other full node to let them perform full validation.

So of the 3 main costs of operating a node RAM/CPU, bandwidth and storage the witness segregation will let me save in terms of storage and bandwidth only once I will decide to discard the witness part of a block, or "witness block" if you will.

This has a disadvantage though, namely I could not fully participating to the p2p bitcoin network anymore because I can't provide blocks data to new nodes once I delete the witness part.

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2016, 02:51:56 PM

So of the 3 main costs of operating a node RAM/CPU, bandwidth and storage the witness segregation will let me save in terms of storage and bandwidth only once I will decide to discard the witness part of a block, or "witness block" if you will.

Why do you persist with the nonsense posting?

SegWit was not created to save bandwidth (in the short term) - can you please repeat that for me?

(it seems that you really are a troll after all as you refuse to acknowledge this very simple fact and keep on posting about bandwidth - also if you didn't troll before then it is very likely that you are not the original owner of the account)

xyzzy099
Legendary

Activity: 1062
Merit: 1041

View Profile
March 31, 2016, 02:58:28 PM

Nope.

Because despite the witness segregation in a separate block my full node will receive both txs base data and witness data to perform full validation.

And because my node will have to relaying both base data and witness data to any other full node to let them perform full validation.

This has a disadvantage though, namely I could not fully participating to the p2p bitcoin network anymore because I can't provide blocks data to new nodes once I delete the witness part.

The 75% witness discount will allow for more transactions per block w/o requiring a hard fork.  I don't think anyone is claiming that it will directly reduce resources required to run a full validating node.

Libertarians:  Diligently plotting to take over the world and leave you alone.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2016, 03:53:03 PM

Nope.

The 75% witness discount will allow for more transactions per block w/o requiring a hard fork.  I don't think anyone is claiming that it will directly reduce resources required to run a full validating node.

Give it up sickpig, we all understand what your saying, but like everyone keeps saying at the end of the day segwit will nearly double capacity.
the 75% witness discount will make sure of that even if not all full-user-nodes dont upgraded.

no. the blocks can be sent around without the individual sigs on each TX, and that block can still be validated without these sigs.

drinksyourmilkshake

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 31, 2016, 04:07:51 PM

Why does this thread still exist? it's over; classicism is dead.  Sorry /r/btctards, dump and get out of the way.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2016, 04:10:44 PM

Why does this thread still exist? it's over; classicism is dead.  Sorry /r/btctards, dump and get out of the way.
its only just begun

now that classic has >5% hashing power it has veto power over segwit.
obviously core (~95% hashing power) has veto power over 2MB
with this veto power, a compromise is just around the corner.

maybe we'll get 1.256MB now + Segwit later, who knows...

if anything this thread is dead because classic isn't #R3KT

Pages: « 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 »
  Print  

Jump to: