Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 04:56:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 [665] 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 ... 2269 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][LSK] Lisk | Blockchain Application Platform for JavaScript Developers  (Read 3073050 times)
LiskHQ (OP)

Activity: 546
Merit: 509

Decentralized Application Platform

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2016, 11:23:55 AM

So when is LISK going to launch for real, it already be delayed 3 times

May 24th is the first explicit launch date we gave yet. Our estimations were delayed, that's why they were estimations. Wink

About the database switch -- SQLite sucks at concurrent writing (it locks the DB) and most probably this was the issue.

Yep. We knew of the concurrency problem all along, but the stress test really opened our eyes that SQLite is really much worse than we anticipated and needs to be switched out sooner than later. Regarding why Postgres, you should write Oliver a PM on our chat or here on BTT.  

People were right to be upset because the delivery launch was not kept to the promise, now you can call the new one the first explicit launch or anything. A launch date is a launch date not matter how we want to disguise now. Saying this now we all have to move forward but please not more misleading information that can upset once again people. Or we are serious what we say or we dont say it. 1.) If you are not sure about delivery time better not to say it or say something more credible like sometime summer time or winter time. Please dont give dates for the sake of it. Now lets move forward. 2.) Now we would like report weekly how the money is invested. Team members names and what they do. 3.) What marketing are you going to do, while people wait lets us see you are moving your fingers and want to see day by day marketing. Sorry if we sound now demanding but you let us down so its your duty now to bring our morals up and bring us all together with actions, real marketing. real name of all the people working on this project not donation. Please everyone lets move on and support lisk till the end as long as the Lisk Team deliver and make us see they are spending the money in marketing and hiring people not to make another delay. Many thanks

1. We said estimations like "End of March. End of April". Now we have a date, because we are certain we meet it. It's exactly what you are asking for.

2. Which money? Everything until now is paid out of our own pockets. Before the ICO started and we knew how successful Lisk will be, we already spent about $8000. Now we come closer to $20000. We don't have access to any funding collected. There is still only Oliver, Joel and I in the team.

Joel: Doing everything associated with the community. Answering questions, preparing academy guides, sending the newsletters, publishing community updates, handling the bounties (I think over 10000 stakes) and so on.

Oliver: Is developing and optimising Lisk. Just in the last week til today he successfully migrated the codebase to a different database engine, and improved block processing efficiency ten fold (after improved syncing speed twenty fold before). Besides Lisk core development, he also updates (with every release) the explorer, faucet, lisk-cli, lisk sdk, binaries, docker etc. He also regularly updates the Lisk chat and is currently stress testing 0.2.0 while preparing the release of it.

Max: I fight with you guys. :p No honestly, I'm talking with a lot of people which benefit will only become visible in many weeks or months. But this is extremely important. Besides this I try to be as open with everything as possible. Preparing important documents for launch on the vision and further development plans. Checking the legal documents provided by our lawyer for the legal Lisk entity. Answering emails, interviews, and questions. Improving the Lisk front end. Taking care of financials and the numbers.

3. We recently hired a PR company which worked with many crypto-currency startups before. More news soon. Besides that with the release now on the horizon we will start the marketing machine again. I think the past showed we know what needs to be done in that regard. Wink

Lisk.io - Blockchain Application Platform
trademark
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 26, 2016, 11:24:41 AM

The dev probably delayed the launch because of midterms and will delay again in May because of finals.  lol
LiskHQ (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2016, 11:28:27 AM

The dev probably delayed the launch because of midterms and will delay again in May because of finals.  lol

I don't study anymore. Oliver also isn't enrolled. Wink

However, in Germany right now the university summer term just started and all exams are only at the end of it. That means around August/September. (In the winter term they are all in February/March)

rlh

Activity: 804
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 26, 2016, 11:29:06 AM

Max: I fight with you guys.

I support this, but only on Saturday nights! Cheesy

(...and I realize that probably less than 5% of you are old enough to get this joke! I'm old... Sad)

A Personal Quote on BTT from 2011:
"I'd be willing to make a moderate "investment" if the value of the BTC went below $2.00.  Otherwise I'll just have to live with my 5 BTC and be happy. :/"  ...sigh.  If only I knew.
LiskHQ (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2016, 11:30:36 AM

Max: I fight with you guys.

I support this, but only on Saturday nights! Cheesy

(...and I realize that probably less than 5% of you are old enough to get this joke! I'm old... Sad)

MalReynolds may get the joke without Google. Cheesy

jamboy34

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 26, 2016, 11:33:20 AM

May 24th is the first explicit launch date we gave yet. Our estimations were delayed, that's why they were estimations. Wink

About the database switch -- SQLite sucks at concurrent writing (it locks the DB) and most probably this was the issue.

Yep. We knew of the concurrency problem all along, but the stress test really opened our eyes that SQLite is really much worse than we anticipated and needs to be switched out sooner than later. Regarding why Postgres, you should write Oliver a PM on our chat or here on BTT.  

As a developer, I have to respect this.  You guys have been honest since day-one and have stated the fact that Lisk is a fork and improvement upon Crypti.  As such, I imagine you guys have a long laundry list of changes that you want to make.  Some can and should be made before launch while others can be put on the back burner for post-launch updates.

I also can understand why the team may have initially ignored updating the DB infrastructure.  It's not a small change.  If the original Crypti dev decided to use SQLLite, it has proven that SQLLite can work on a project with limited success.

This type of change/update proves that the Lisk devs want the launch to go as smoothly as possible.  With limited testnet usage (only the hardcore supporters are running test nodes ATM) then it is important to make sure that once the official release takes place, the underlying DB can handle the mass influx of new transactions.

Apparently after launch, and during it's peak usage, Crypti didn't experience any problems with the SQLLite db.  That is good.  However, if LiskHQ (and the other devs) had a bad "feeling" about sticking with the current tech, I 100% support the delays so that they can update the back-end db TODAY, rather than later when usage spikes and the blockchain starts crumbling from excessive load.

TL;DR

LiskHQ and the other devs are making a wise decision to fix a problem before it becomes a legitimate issue.  They are exercising foresight in taking care of Lisk, rather than waiting for bugs to become issues that bring the blockchain to a halt until a *cough* rushed *cough* patch has to be released.

A very refreshing point, a much pleasant view to read. Thanks

⚫️⚫️⚫️ BlockPool.io  |        • Resources   • Website   • Slack
⚫️⚫️⚫️ BlockPool.io  |   Real World B2B Blockchain solutions  |   Join the TEC - May 1st - Jun 30th
⚫️⚫️⚫️ BlockPool.io  |                                                                 • Twitter   • Blog   • Facebook
bitbitch

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 26, 2016, 11:42:07 AM

People were right to be upset because the delivery launch was not kept to the promise, now you can call the new one the first explicit launch or anything. A launch date is a launch date not matter how we want to disguise now. Saying this now we all have to move forward but please not more misleading information that can upset once again people. Or we are serious what we say or we dont say it. 1.) If you are not sure about delivery time better not to say it or say something more credible like sometime summer time or winter time. Please dont give dates for the sake of it. Now lets move forward. 2.) Now we would like report weekly how the money is invested. Team members names and what they do. 3.) What marketing are you going to do, while people wait lets us see you are moving your fingers and want to see day by day marketing. Sorry if we sound now demanding but you let us down so its your duty now to bring our morals up and bring us all together with actions, real marketing. real name of all the people working on this project not donation. Please everyone lets move on and support lisk till the end as long as the Lisk Team deliver and make us see they are spending the money in marketing and hiring people not to make another delay. Many thanks

1. We said estimations like "End of March. End of April". Now we have a date, because we are certain we meet it. It's exactly what you are asking for.

2. Which money? Everything until now is paid out of our own pockets. Before the ICO started and we knew how successful Lisk will be, we already spent about $8000. Now we come closer to $20000. We don't have access to any funding collected. There is still only Oliver, Joel and I in the team.

Joel: Doing everything associated with the community. Answering questions, preparing academy guides, sending the newsletters, publishing community updates, handling the bounties (I think over 10000 stakes) and so on.

Oliver: Is developing and optimising Lisk. Just in the last week til today he successfully migrated the codebase to a different database engine, and improved block processing efficiency ten fold (after improved syncing speed twenty fold before). Besides Lisk core development, he also updates (with every release) the explorer, faucet, lisk-cli, lisk sdk, binaries, docker etc. He also regularly updates the Lisk chat and is currently stress testing 0.2.0 while preparing the release of it.

Max: I fight with you guys. :p No honestly, I'm talking with a lot of people which benefit will only become visible in many weeks or months. But this is extremely important. Besides this I try to be as open with everything as possible. Preparing important documents for launch on the vision and further development plans. Checking the legal documents provided by our lawyer for the legal Lisk entity. Answering emails, interviews, and questions. Improving the Lisk front end. Taking care of financials and the numbers.

3. We recently hired a PR company which worked with many crypto-currency startups before. More news soon. Besides that with the release now on the horizon we will start the marketing machine again. I think the past showed we know what needs to be done in that regard. Wink

have you incorporated yet?
LiskHQ (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2016, 11:50:42 AM

No. The charter is nearly ready, need a few updates and explain it to Oliver. Then we may adjust it again after his feedback. Then we can do the next steps.

axlroses

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 26, 2016, 11:54:03 AM

No. The charter is nearly ready, need a few updates and explain it to Oliver. Then we may adjust it again after his feedback. Then we can do the next steps.

next step is delayed Grin
EBK1000
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

A Wound in Eternity

View Profile
April 26, 2016, 11:57:58 AM

I just got a newsletter and the release date is now 24/05/2016  Huh That's quite a bit later than announced

Soooooooon...............
raetsch
Legendary

Activity: 957
Merit: 1006

View Profile
April 26, 2016, 12:03:40 PM

I just got a newsletter and the release date is now 24/05/2016  Huh That's quite a bit later than announced

so as an dev yourself, you just adopted this terrible behaviour, not to read updates in the op, but asking directly on the last page, without reading anything?
Videodrome

Activity: 588
Merit: 503

Free Julian Assange

View Profile
April 26, 2016, 12:05:31 PM

The  delay is a confirmation that they are serious and want to release a well-tested and functional product.

Thanks for the update.
tuvok007
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 26, 2016, 12:15:20 PM

From my phone so short msg.

Max, stay strong and take this ship though this storm.  We just left port.  A round-the-world voyage of amazing accomplishments lies ahead.  You and Oliver have the full support of many here, including me.
and me!

Me too !!

Don't forget me ....  The delay of the launch was perfect !

You know that you can count on me.

...And me...
patrickv

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 26, 2016, 12:18:59 PM

Thanks for the info. More posts like this one will inspire a lot of confidence. Please keep it up.
dzarmush
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 26, 2016, 12:34:56 PM

It's awesome to see such overall posts from you again. I missed that.

When you post something like this everyone feel confident about the future of Lisk Smiley

LiskHQ (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2016, 12:38:22 PM

Thanks for the info. More posts like this one will inspire a lot of confidence. Please keep it up.

I will try my best! Smiley

It's awesome to see such overall posts from you again. I missed that.

When you post something like this everyone feel confident about the future of Lisk Smiley

Hehe, thanks. I will try my best to get back to it. At one point it was just too much to answer all these requests here on the forum. That alone was a 24h job.

However, if I see serious posts I will answer them. Best if you guys PM me with the post, so I absolutely don't miss it. Wink There is so much spam here, I can easily miss a post from time to time.

rhizome666

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 26, 2016, 12:51:33 PM

The  delay is a confirmation that they are serious and want to release a well-tested and functional product.

Thanks for the update.
tomkat

Activity: 1022
Merit: 507

View Profile
April 26, 2016, 01:16:29 PM

As a programmer i know that one month delay is still pretty good and i'm not even mad. It's really good that they find a hole and can fix it, because it will be terrible to find this after release. What i don't understand is why the hell they want to use SQLlite anyway ? It got terrible performance in higher number of inserts and updates. PostgreSQL will be much better choice.
As a temporary solution the transaction number per block was limited (in 0.1.4) and Lisk could've been released like that, and implement better solution later,  but I guess they decided that delaying a few weeks to make the improvements are better than releasing Lisk with such limitations. (not to mention other fixes are also needed)
Yes, would be a disaster releasing it with limited number of transactions per block. Is there any coin that has such hard coded limit...?
CryptoNoob1

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 26, 2016, 01:22:21 PM

reaper69 3:15 PM
exactly Axente, so this means our estimate was calculated on the invested amount?
and now that they are giving back 175BTC and all the XRC, we should have a recalculation Huh
ttookk 3:15 PM
invested amount minus amount to be refunded
easy
reaper69 3:16 PM
no , they had not decided to give back the xrc at the time of calculation!
so how could they have not included it
so now we should all have 175BTC and all refunded XRC added and calculated into lisk and added to all our accounts?
I could work it out exactly how much lisk we should all have extra
@max: could you confirm this lol, obviously I could easily be wrong here
@ttookk: how do you make such a statement saying the refunded money was not in the calculation?
Axente 3:19 PM
If I remember it right. The refunded money was given after the ICO
and no one asked for a refund from the ICO
reaper69 3:19 PM
the xrc did not come after ico
ttookk 3:20 PM
I thought, I read it somewhere, but you're right: I have no proof. I'm confident that's what they are gonna do. could you imagine the backlash if they kept 178btc+250 000 000(?)XRC worth of lisk?
reaper69 3:20 PM
but yes the BTC was given, however how do we know that they knew it was late? they could have just done the calculation on the entire amount no? they would have had to check each transaction date to see if it was on time or not
Exactly !!!!! its a great point @ttookk
for sure they would have counted to xrc in as they only decided to refund it close to the first launch date
but lets see what they say
abonarea
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 26, 2016, 01:32:18 PM

It is really nice write up by liskHQ which will restore energy and boost the confidence level.That is not much time to reach 24th May so keep your heads up.Be prepare well to enjoy exciting times ahead.
Pages: « 1 ... 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 [665] 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 ... 2269 »
  Print  

Jump to: