Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:01:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... 559 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XRP] Ripple Speculation  (Read 636336 times)
Mrpumperitis
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1075

View Profile
April 01, 2017, 01:20:06 AM

I insist and repeat my statement:  

The problem of course is not in the time of settlement as you have pointed.  The problem is that in order to send a million dollars, you need to "own" a million dollars in XRP or you need to "borrow it" from an institution.  

So now you are exposing the bank balance sheet to the volatility of XRP during the time that you own it or borrow it.   Shocked
omg wow, your so smart, maybe you should tell ,Japan’s largest bank, MUFG. Bank of England,Abu Dhabi and many more..aswell as google,seagate and samsung.
go to their twitters, tell their ceos what you know. Tongue

Technically Bitcoin is a fork and Bitcoin Cash is the original blockchain.When the hard fork occurred, people had access to the same amount of coins on Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash.- NIST

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RayX12

Activity: 952
Merit: 552

View Profile
April 01, 2017, 01:31:38 AM

The problem of course is not in the time of settlement as you have pointed.  The problem is that in order to send a million dollars, you need to "own" a million dollars in XRP or you need to "borrow it" from an institution.  

So now you are exposing the bank balance sheet to the volatility of XRP during the time that you own it or borrow it.   Shocked
omg wow, your so smart, maybe you should tell ,Japan’s largest bank, MUFG. Bank of England,Abu Dhabi and many more..aswell as google,seagate and samsung.

Not really, just curiosity on how this will be handled.
vanhalendlrband

Activity: 322
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 01, 2017, 01:47:56 AM

It was already explained to you.
RayX12

View Profile
April 01, 2017, 01:58:30 AM

It was already explained to you.

Where??  Can you be so kind as to copy paste the explanation?  I cant find it.
vanhalendlrband

View Profile
April 01, 2017, 02:01:31 AM

Can one of you XRP pumpers explain how can a bank use XRP as a currency when there is so much volatility?

The bank executive explaining the transfer:
"Opps sorry sir we sent a million dollars but by the time we converted back to dollars you only got 990,000.  So you lost 10,000 in that transaction.  That is only a 1% loss due to volatility in the XRP coin!" Shocked"  

So what mechanism are they going to use to hold volatility down?  Does any of you understand how this can work?

the carrier technology uses XRP to bridge chains during settlement, Day to day volatility does not come into play at all.

and given the settlement happens dynamically in like under 30 seconds ? the only volatility that is visible during the transaction is the 30 seconds volatility. in other words- ZERO impact of volatility.

where volatility actually hurts is when settlement and confirmation takes hours and days. ( Ex: BTC). the sent value and receiving value is broken and unpredictable.

I suggest you to read various settlement papers and whitepapers released in ripple insights and various poc documents. To add to all this, Ripple is the tech and rails on which BTC will be enabled in japan. because point of sales cannot use BTC with 4 day confirmation. they need to get confirmation faster of their payments, even todays credit cards guarantee queue position and confirm in a few hours.

What an irony, Ripple is carrying BTC in tis rails in japan along with other assets.

Too much misinformation in here. People, please study yourself. ripple is the real deal, no body needs to pump anything. Its not a shady coin used on onion and darkweb. it if for regular everday life.

I agree. I already explained to that poster above, and he still didn't get what I was saying. Most likely a troll.

Not a troll.  I am interested and I have read the papers but the volatility issue is not properly explained or handled in my view.

... and apparently neither of you have any idea on how this volatility issue will be handled.  That is the un-answered question!

Its the comment you quoted by formdeep maybe you didn't read all the comments but he answers your question directly.
RayX12

View Profile
April 01, 2017, 02:14:37 AM
Last edit: April 01, 2017, 04:46:29 PM by RayX12

This is bullshit!  Here is what he responded:

"the carrier technology uses XRP to bridge chains during settlement, Day to day volatility does not come into play at all.

and given the settlement happens dynamically in like under 30 seconds ? the only volatility that is visible during the transaction is the 30 seconds volatility. in other words- ZERO impact of volatility.

where volatility actually hurts is when settlement and confirmation takes hours and days. ( Ex: BTC). the sent value and receiving value is broken and unpredictable."

But the fact is that someone has to own XRP to settle the transactions.  Let me quote from the XRP cost model itself (https://ripple.com/files/xrp_cost_model_paper.pdf)

From pg 9

"Institutional Cost Savings Using
Ripple and XRP
Now let’s evaluate cost savings to our representative bank using Ripple and XRP as a universal
bridge asset. The cost model below assumes our same respondent bank converts 50 percent
of its payments-related float into XRP after implementing Ripple, custodying the XRP itself.
Banks can either source and custody XRP themselves or contract third-party liquidity providers.
Currency hedging is the only cost with an initial, short-term increase due to the potential higher
volatility of XRP as a new asset. As XRP gains usage, this volatility is expected to trend downward.
"

So it clearly states that you either own it or borrow it.  Either way you are exposed to the volatility of the XRP alt coin.  
Mrpumperitis
Legendary

View Profile
April 01, 2017, 02:42:22 AM
Last edit: June 03, 2017, 02:47:11 AM by Mrpumperitis

RayX12..we hear ya ...

please be a sensible troll  Tongue  Smiley

lols  Smiley Smiley Smiley

Technically Bitcoin is a fork and Bitcoin Cash is the original blockchain.When the hard fork occurred, people had access to the same amount of coins on Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash.- NIST
vanhalendlrband

View Profile
April 01, 2017, 03:45:20 AM
Last edit: April 01, 2017, 05:46:13 AM by vanhalendlrband

This is bullshit!  Here is what he responded:

"the carrier technology uses XRP to bridge chains during settlement, Day to day volatility does not come into play at all.

where volatility actually hurts is when settlement and confirmation takes hours and days. ( Ex: BTC). the sent value and receiving value is broken and unpredictable."

But the fact is that someone has to own XRP to settle the transactions.  Let me quote from the XRP cost model itself (https://ripple.com/files/xrp_cost_model_paper.pdf)

From pg 9

"Institutional Cost Savings Using
Ripple and XRP
Now let’s evaluate cost savings to our representative bank using Ripple and XRP as a universal
bridge asset. The cost model below assumes our same respondent bank converts 50 percent
of its payments-related float into XRP after implementing Ripple, custodying the XRP itself.
Banks can either source and custody XRP themselves or contract third-party liquidity providers.
Currency hedging is the only cost with an initial, short-term increase due to the potential higher
volatility of XRP as a new asset. As XRP gains usage, this volatility is expected to trend downward."

So it clearly states that you either own it or borrow it.  Either way you are exposed to the volatility of the XRP alt coin.  

hmm.... I think I know what you're getting at maybe I can answer this.

I heard that XRP will be used on markets for liquidity but it won't affect transaction prices. As in, XRP will be used as the payment channel, but you won't be actually paying extra for whatever price XRP is because you are trading a currency on its system and burning XRP for every ripple transaction that doesn't use XRP.

So in theory I would think the supply goes down, price may go up, but the coin is just being used to transact other coins and therefore the price doesn't reflect say somebody buying 1,000 transacts of Bitcoin from USD in a second because they're not directly trading in XRP. At least that's how I have understood it.

After re-reading. No you don't have to own XRP, you are misreading. If you want to use the Ripple networks, like the banks are ALREADY DOING RIGHT NOW, then XRP will be used as the payment channel. You do not need to own XRP to trade bitcoin to bitcoin or bitcoin to usd, but XRP will still be used in those transactions.
f0rmdeep

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 01, 2017, 04:02:43 PM
Last edit: April 01, 2017, 04:14:06 PM by f0rmdeep

And i repeat to you once again, you have some very basic understanding wrong, and in all humility, one "DOES NOT" need to have 1 million ripples to send 1 million 'dollars'. One ought to have 1 million 'dollars' to send 1 million 'dollars'

Which is exactly i pointed out, when value of ripple comes into action. I hope the point gets across this time else you come of as really either not reading what is said, or perhaps strongly biased in your mind.

Bitcoin is purely store of value, it is so bad for transfer mechanism, with 4 days + ack time and confirmation times. Why ? it is not made for transaction, it is made for proving value by work. although the work is useless , which is an evolution to things like Etherium where work is promised contract code.

Anyway having that aside, still the funniest thing is ripple will probably be the most stable currency, because once it gains transaction properties in real markets, there will be large needs of reserve maintenance by various entities (market makers, FI's, central banks etc )

what part of my explanation are you NOT getting ?

and your have put borrowing xrp in a totally wrong sense, 'You' DON't borrow it for holding, it is 'BORROWED' on the RCL during the Byzantine agreement and consensus process to promise 'counter-party' ( which is what eliminated counter party risk ). This borrowing happens for 45 seconds at 'most'. current on-ledger confirmation is around 1000 tx/second. What are you taking about ?

Don't you see the clear definition of 'POOL' in the cost model PDF you have pasted above ?

I know its hard to imagine for traditionalist's who see a crypto-currency as a computerized form of 'piece' of something. but value can also be derived by properties and knowledge that is implemented in the mathematics that guarantees certain terms and conditions ( all consensus algorithms that guarantee 'counter-party' risk elimination )

you need to study and update yourself, and i am saying this not out of dis-respect, but you truly are getting things in a very naive and wrong manner. take time, study a bit.

good luck
RayX12

View Profile
April 01, 2017, 04:44:08 PM

Quoting from the same pdf paper in search of the Pool term:

pg 5

"By consolidating liquidity to service international payments from many, disjointed, international
nostro accounts into one XRP pool, respondent banks allocate less total liquidity to service the
same volume of global payments. Here is how:
• The bank only has to hold its domestic currency and maintain one account with XRP.
The bank only needs enough XRP on hand to service its largest expected payment obligation.
• By making markets directly between its domestic currency and XRP, the bank minimizes the
number of intermediaries involved and their markup on spreads."

From above it is clearly stated that to use XRP the bank needs XRP!

pg 13

"Just as the redundancy of nostro accounts needed to service international payments for
correspondent banks can be consolidated into one XRP pool, financial institutions can begin
to consolidate collateral accounts needed to participate in different markets into single XRP
positions that can provide one point of interchange to every other financial instrument.

Ripple technology can then eliminate settlement risk and reconciliation costs as transactions
move between systems, releasing billions of dollars annually back into the economy while
strengthening financial stability."

Again the financial institution needs to have an XRP position

So if you hold or own or borrow XRP to excecute the fast transactions then you are exposed to currency price swings of XRP.

By the way stop spreading this lies about:  "with 4 days + ack time and confirmation times"  That is pure lies.

I send Bitcoin to and from my wallet every day and only takes from a few minutes to one hour max.  There may be rare occasions in which it may take two hours, but 4 days (what a lie)Huh   It seems that you need to study and update yourself a little more about how bitcoin works in the real world.
vanhalendlrband

View Profile
April 01, 2017, 04:57:34 PM

pg 5

"By consolidating liquidity to service international payments from many, disjointed, international
nostro accounts into one XRP pool, respondent banks allocate less total liquidity to service the
• The bank only has to hold its domestic currency and maintain one account with XRP.
The bank only needs enough XRP on hand to service its largest expected payment obligation.
• By making markets directly between its domestic currency and XRP, the bank minimizes the

pg 13

"Just as the redundancy of nostro accounts needed to service international payments for
correspondent banks can be consolidated into one XRP pool, financial institutions can begin
to consolidate collateral accounts needed to participate in different markets into single XRP
positions that can provide one point of interchange to every other financial instrument.

Ripple technology can then eliminate settlement risk and reconciliation costs as transactions
move between systems, releasing billions of dollars annually back into the economy while

So if you hold or own or borrow XRP to excecute the fast transactions then you are exposed to currency price swings of XRP.

By the way stop spreading this lies about:  "with 4 days + ack time and confirmation times"  That is pure lies.

I send Bitcoin to and from my wallet every day and only takes from a few minutes to one hour max.  There may be rare occasions in which it may take two hours, but 4 days (what a lie)Huh   It seems that you need to study and update yourself a little more about how bitcoin works in the real world.

Shut up troll! You're wrong and everyone will tell you that that knows ripple, everyone at ripple will tell you that, all the banks will tell you that. Shut up.
RayX12

View Profile
April 01, 2017, 05:00:24 PM

pg 5

pg 13

Shut up troll! You're wrong and everyone will tell you that that knows ripple, everyone at ripple will tell you that, all the banks will tell you that. Shut up.

WTF did I say something wrong?    Roll Eyes
vanhalendlrband

View Profile
April 01, 2017, 05:06:02 PM

pg 5

pg 13

WTF did I say something wrong?    Roll Eyes

lol good work troll (standing ovation)
f0rmdeep

View Profile
April 01, 2017, 08:58:15 PM

pg 5

pg 13

Yes you said wrong .

Page 5 - > its the institution that owns the transaction, which hold reserves. its not you its the bank. which itself makes case for great stability. large reserves in hands of banks and institutions ( instead of monkey traders ) makes currency stable.

Page 13 -> Nostro accounts are made obsolete by not having to maintain local currency reserves in intermediaries , dosen't mean you will need to "own" XRP to transact.

You as in user . not as in bank.

f0rmdeep

View Profile
April 01, 2017, 09:04:42 PM

pg 5

pg 13

Send a bitcoin to an exchange with multi-sign. here few real links for you (of real people struggling).

https://cointelegraph.com/news/bitcoin-transactions-confirmation-delays
http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/9046/why-is-my-transaction-not-getting-confirmed-and-what-can-i-do-about-it
http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/7311/how-do-miners-select-which-transactions-to-include-in-a-block
http://bitzuma.com/posts/how-to-clear-a-stuck-bitcoin-transaction/

you want more ? lie ? may be you are lucky to be on lower blocks. not all are.
Mrpumperitis
Legendary

View Profile
April 01, 2017, 09:34:15 PM

guys, let Ray do his thing... Smiley
When a coin is doing well, it is natural to get trolls, its a good sign, they keep the forum active.
they also help build volume on trades
Id be worried if there was no troll lol

Im waitin for my good luck troll, Becoin to arrive here....he loves the banks lol  Wink

RayX12

View Profile
April 01, 2017, 10:26:24 PM

pg 5

pg 13

Send a bitcoin to an exchange with multi-sign. here few real links for you (of real people struggling).

https://cointelegraph.com/news/bitcoin-transactions-confirmation-delays
http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/9046/why-is-my-transaction-not-getting-confirmed-and-what-can-i-do-about-it
http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/7311/how-do-miners-select-which-transactions-to-include-in-a-block
http://bitzuma.com/posts/how-to-clear-a-stuck-bitcoin-transaction/

you want more ? lie ? may be you are lucky to be on lower blocks. not all are.

Of course the big BTC has had problems but you said  "4 days".  Maybe there has been a case of real use where the coins where delayed more than a few hours but this kind of an event would be very rare.  I went through the links you provided and found no mention of 4 day delays. 

I challenge you to find such a situation, an if you find it it would be a very rare event.  So you need to continue educating yourself about the success of Bitcoin so you can make valid statements about it.

RayX12

View Profile
April 01, 2017, 10:36:42 PM

When a coin is doing well, it is natural to get trolls, its a good sign, they keep the forum active.

Im waitin for my good luck troll, Becoin to arrive here....he loves the banks lol  Wink

Yes, this place is getting pretty lonely here.. no action.  No interest.  Where is this coin heading.

Dont take me wrong I want XRP to succeed and I have made a little money on some of the swings but I cant go long until more clear information trickles down.  For now I am not so sure that this project will be successful in integrating the XRP coin into the Bank money tranfer system.  I think Ripples technology is good but the extra "plug-in" of XRP into the system seems like a pipe dream and vehicle of speculation.
McWorse

Activity: 618
Merit: 292

View Profile
April 01, 2017, 10:42:30 PM

Sorry that i disturb your discourse. Won't be for long.
But it is true, that a transaction with BTC is takin' a long time at the moment.
When you want to move BTCs fast, you'll have to pay for it.
Is BTC ment for that?
A two class currency?
Fast for the rich and slow for the poor?
Simple:
No.

YOU CAN'T EAT BLOCKCHAINS!

... better enjoy some Yummy Recipes!
Mrpumperitis
Legendary

View Profile
April 01, 2017, 11:32:19 PM
Last edit: April 01, 2017, 11:52:17 PM by Mrpumperitis

Im waitin for my good luck troll, Becoin to arrive here....he loves the banks lol  Wink

Yes, this place is getting pretty lonely here.. no action.  No interest.  Where is this coin heading.

Dont take me wrong I want XRP to succeed and I have made a little money on some of the swings but I cant go long until more clear information trickles down.  For now I am not so sure that this project will be successful in integrating the XRP coin into the Bank money tranfer system.  I think Ripples technology is good but the extra "plug-in" of XRP into the system seems like a pipe dream and vehicle of speculation.

XRP devs   " well we have this tech that is faster, cheaper and more secure than swift"

Big bank CEO   "hmmm i duno, sounds too gd to be true, ill wait till i get reliable information from trolls on bitcointalk"

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

wait... dude, its done almost x5 in around 1 week and youve made a little money on swings!!! lols
Your decision to go long is based on troll forum replies  Huh  
maybe its time to revise your strategy?

oh as for the BTC transactions...ive waited...3days once, 16 hours, and many times its over 10hours

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... 559 »
  Print  

Jump to: