Bitcoin Forum
July 02, 2024, 06:25:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... 559 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XRP] Ripple Speculation  (Read 637001 times)
btcxyzzz
Legendary

Activity: 888
Merit: 1000

Monero - secure, private and untraceable currency.

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2016, 09:29:04 PM

XRP is FIAT 2.0 crap. Period. It's already dead.

Token Bubbles – Transforming the ICO Rating and Analysis Space.
Mr Felt

Activity: 493
Merit: 518

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 03:03:42 AM

I kinda like Ripple.  They're doing something different and if they make banking better, then they're doing a good thing.  Two headlines caught my eye the last few weeks:

https://ripple.com/insights/ripple-and-xrp-can-cut-banks-global-settlement-costs-up-to-60-percent/ (note the incentive they offer to banks)

http://www.coindesk.com/how-standard-chartered-is-using-ripple-to-rethink-trade-finance/ (big banking relationships, multi-continent strategy)

It's impressive.  It's also refreshing to read about businesses getting things done - I need a break from reading about the logjam over raising BTC's blocksize limit a whopping 1MB.

bitwho
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 04:37:50 AM
Last edit: March 02, 2016, 05:35:06 AM by bitwho

i thought ripple long ago decided to drop the coin.

it seems they have done an 180, or i read it wrong. good to see them back in the blockchain game : )
keepdoing (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 05:01:47 AM

i thought ripple long ago decided to drop the coin. and they aim to sell the technology. aka sell the centralized "blockchain"

so basically here is our software. here is how it works. now we can fork one for you for this much &&

ripple selling solutions.

correct me if im wrong but i dont think they are trying to get the banks to actually use the ripple you buy in exchanges
you are wrong.
bitwho
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 05:02:59 AM

i thought ripple long ago decided to drop the coin. and they aim to sell the technology. aka sell the centralized "blockchain"

so basically here is our software. here is how it works. now we can fork one for you for this much &&

correct me if im wrong but i dont think they are trying to get the banks to actually use the ripple you buy in exchanges
you are wrong.

got links that prove they still show sign they will use the token?  im genuinely interested
cmbartley

Merit: 100

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 05:19:49 AM

It's actually the opposite, they're now strongly promoting XRP as a financial asset that also decreases the cost of cross-border remittances. Since November of last year they've slowly been rolling out announcements and position papers that speak to that fact:

11/2015 - XRP’s Role on Ripple and in the Internet of Value (https://ripple.com/files/ripple_vision.pdf)

1/2016 - SBI Holdings and Ripple have also agreed to explore working together to list XRP, Ripple's native digital asset, through its online brokerage properties, including the largest online trading platform in Japan. (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ripple-strikes-multi-national-deal-060000917.html)

2/2016 - Earthport’s marketing materials tout that the company approves and screens market makers that can then acquire and offload the necessary XRP (http://www.coindesk.com/earthport-banks-distributed-ledger-payments-hub/)

2/2016 - The ROI of Using Ripple and XRP for Global Interbank Settlements (https://ripple.com/files/xrp_cost_model_paper.pdf)

2/2016 - Ripple and XRP Can Cut Banks’ Global Settlement Costs Up to 60 Percent (https://ripple.com/insights/ripple-and-xrp-can-cut-banks-global-settlement-costs-up-to-60-percent/)

2/2016 - Ripple Partners with Crypto Facilities for XRP Derivatives (https://ripple.com/insights/ripple-partners-with-crypto-facilities-for-xrp-derivatives/)

4/2016 - is when we suspect the big announcements will start to come out... after Ripple Trade shuts down
bitwho
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 05:36:07 AM

It's actually the opposite, they're now strongly promoting XRP as a financial asset that also decreases the cost of cross-border remittances. Since November of last year they've slowly been rolling out announcements and position papers that speak to that fact:

11/2015 - XRP’s Role on Ripple and in the Internet of Value (https://ripple.com/files/ripple_vision.pdf)

1/2016 - SBI Holdings and Ripple have also agreed to explore working together to list XRP, Ripple's native digital asset, through its online brokerage properties, including the largest online trading platform in Japan. (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ripple-strikes-multi-national-deal-060000917.html)

2/2016 - Earthport’s marketing materials tout that the company approves and screens market makers that can then acquire and offload the necessary XRP (http://www.coindesk.com/earthport-banks-distributed-ledger-payments-hub/)

2/2016 - The ROI of Using Ripple and XRP for Global Interbank Settlements (https://ripple.com/files/xrp_cost_model_paper.pdf)

2/2016 - Ripple and XRP Can Cut Banks’ Global Settlement Costs Up to 60 Percent (https://ripple.com/insights/ripple-and-xrp-can-cut-banks-global-settlement-costs-up-to-60-percent/)

2/2016 - Ripple Partners with Crypto Facilities for XRP Derivatives (https://ripple.com/insights/ripple-partners-with-crypto-facilities-for-xrp-derivatives/)

4/2016 - is when we suspect the big announcements will start to come out... after Ripple Trade shuts down

this is good news. glad they are back in the blockchain game. they got my attention once again : )
misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 12:48:02 PM

Lets not forget that Ripple supports a transaction volume many times higher than Bitcoin. And transactions get into the ledger within a few seconds instead of 10 minutes to an hour (or more). Furthermore, the Ripple Consensus Ledger simply *does more*, there are built in order books, pathfinding, and payments allowing users to interact more conveniently with fiat IOUs.

keepdoing (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 02:38:16 PM

Lets not forget that Ripple supports a transaction volume many times higher than Bitcoin. And transactions get into the ledger within a few seconds instead of 10 minutes to an hour (or more). Furthermore, the Ripple Consensus Ledger simply *does more*, there are built in order books, pathfinding, and payments allowing users to interact more conveniently with fiat IOUs.
Honestly in a comparison of Bitcoin vs Ripple, all I need to see it the bold/underline above.  If Ripple would develop a Wallet/Exchange base worth something, then I can see it replacing Bitcoin in the actual use case scenario.  Bitcoin has a huge head-start.  It is the "First Love" of many people, including myself to a degree - but honestly, so many of us are just plain pissed/frustrated with Bitcoin.   It seems to be a  nowhere coin - going nowhere, doing nothing, and competitors springing up all around it.  Ripple is perhaps THE best positioned coin to displace it (NOT saying it will) IF IT GETS AN EXCHANGE/WALLET BASE ESTABLISHED.

I realize that isn't looking like the plan at present, but I think that may not be bad, becasue I think they are trying to solidify the banks first.  If they do manage that, then launch "public access" - then this could go somewhere fast.  But I think we'll see this adoption/realization build up slowly for some more time, then pop.   So... not yet.
cmbartley

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 07:27:02 PM

Honestly in a comparison of Bitcoin vs Ripple, all I need to see it the bold/underline above.  If Ripple would develop a Wallet/Exchange base worth something, then I can see it replacing Bitcoin in the actual use case scenario.  Bitcoin has a huge head-start.  It is the "First Love" of many people, including myself to a degree - but honestly, so many of us are just plain pissed/frustrated with Bitcoin.   It seems to be a  nowhere coin - going nowhere, doing nothing, and competitors springing up all around it.  Ripple is perhaps THE best positioned coin to displace it (NOT saying it will) IF IT GETS AN EXCHANGE/WALLET BASE ESTABLISHED.

I realize that isn't looking like the plan at present, but I think that may not be bad, becasue I think they are trying to solidify the banks first.  If they do manage that, then launch "public access" - then this could go somewhere fast.  But I think we'll see this adoption/realization build up slowly for some more time, then pop.   So... not yet.

I think they'll leave it to community to develop consumer-facing products like wallets and exchanges. They aren't interested in being a money-service business. They're a software company that's trying to revolutionize how value is transmitted. Ripple is interested in XRP but isn't all about XRP. They've stated over and over again that they want to build a very low-level protocol that unlocks value that's been siloed because of lack of ledger interoperability. They aren't trying to change business rules or replace the current financial infrastructure. The Ripple network allows for 3.5s settlement between entities on the Ripple Consensus Ledger, now Ripple's promoting their interledger protocol to allow disparate ledgers to interoperate. If people see value in XRP they will build the tools around it. I think we do see Ripple engaging strategic partnerships that will increase the demand for an interest in XRP though, it's just what they're all about. At the end of the day rest assured that their investors are interested in a BIG return, their investors damn sure are interested in XRP gaining value.
keepdoing (OP)

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 03:04:56 AM

Honestly in a comparison of Bitcoin vs Ripple, all I need to see it the bold/underline above.  If Ripple would develop a Wallet/Exchange base worth something, then I can see it replacing Bitcoin in the actual use case scenario.  Bitcoin has a huge head-start.  It is the "First Love" of many people, including myself to a degree - but honestly, so many of us are just plain pissed/frustrated with Bitcoin.   It seems to be a  nowhere coin - going nowhere, doing nothing, and competitors springing up all around it.  Ripple is perhaps THE best positioned coin to displace it (NOT saying it will) IF IT GETS AN EXCHANGE/WALLET BASE ESTABLISHED.

I realize that isn't looking like the plan at present, but I think that may not be bad, becasue I think they are trying to solidify the banks first.  If they do manage that, then launch "public access" - then this could go somewhere fast.  But I think we'll see this adoption/realization build up slowly for some more time, then pop.   So... not yet.

I think they'll leave it to community to develop consumer-facing products like wallets and exchanges. They aren't interested in being a money-service business. They're a software company that's trying to revolutionize how value is transmitted. Ripple is interested in XRP but isn't all about XRP. They've stated over and over again that they want to build a very low-level protocol that unlocks value that's been siloed because of lack of ledger interoperability. They aren't trying to change business rules or replace the current financial infrastructure. The Ripple network allows for 3.5s settlement between entities on the Ripple Consensus Ledger, now Ripple's promoting their interledger protocol to allow disparate ledgers to interoperate. If people see value in XRP they will build the tools around it. I think we do see Ripple engaging strategic partnerships that will increase the demand for an interest in XRP though, it's just what they're all about. At the end of the day rest assured that their investors are interested in a BIG return, their investors damn sure are interested in XRP gaining value.
I agree and I understand,  I've actually settled the issue in my own mind since I started this.  It's going to go up, and it is goinng to go up a lot in my opinion.  And I have no idea what the timing of it is going to be because they are approaching this in a very patient, simple, and fenced in sort of way.  I may sit here hold XRP longeer than I would like with no price action at all - watching Eth go to the moon - and get frustrated and want to kick myself.  But I'm a HODLer, and I've reapportioned a bit, and I like where I am.   XRP will get there sooner or later.  And I still have a gut feeling that its going to happen fast, so I'd rather be in than playing catchup later.
bitbitch

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 08:48:33 AM

when people say they are holding XRP i'm curious to get a sense of quantity in view of the price (due to the enormous supply side).
btcbug

Activity: 399

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 06:55:02 PM

when people say they are holding XRP i'm curious to get a sense of quantity in view of the price (due to the enormous supply side).

I'm just doing some thinking on my personal situation here.

BTC market cap is 23 times that of XRP.

My crypto portfolio consists of 5.5% XRP.

I really have no idea if that's reasonable. There are so many things to consider. I believe Ripple market cap could be at least equal to BTC and I believe that both will be many times higher than they are at present. It's a $34 Trillion market these techs are looking to disrupt, so with that much money floating around out there it's mind boggling.

cmbartley

View Profile
March 19, 2016, 06:16:38 PM

Here's a poll from XRPChat - http://www.xrpchat.com/topic/716-anonymous-poll-about-investmenttrading-in-xrp-by-xrpchatters/#comment-5753

The amount of available XRP is a bit misleading because we don't know what % of XRP is held by financial institutions and not being traded. At any given time you'll see that there's very little XRP on the order books suggesting that most people that own it are buying and holding. If you were to buy $10K worth of XRP on Gatehub.net right now, you'd shift the price from 0.0078 to 0.0090...
bobmarley650
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 19, 2016, 09:01:45 PM

Ripple pump is very close

bobbtc@protonmail.com / Working day and night
bitbitch

Activity: 434

View Profile
March 21, 2016, 08:39:10 AM

and so it begins....
cmbartley

View Profile
March 22, 2016, 05:34:08 PM

there are rumors on the Turkish threads that a pump is near...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2016-03-11/mystery-dude-rattles-markets-for-turkish-stock-traders
TechorMarketing

Activity: 174

View Profile
March 27, 2016, 01:20:19 AM

Here is my two cents to start it off, starting with a Disclaimer.
Disclaimer: I have weighted portfolio of Bitcoin (5 - 10%), Ethereum (70 - 80%), XRP/Ripple (10 - 25%). I'm a HODLer, not a Day Trader,a nd reportionments are done rarely based on trends.  My purpose of this post is to try and determine whether a repportionment of Ripple is appropriate.  And I am currently of an equal mind.  33% to lower stake.  33% says stay hte course.  33% says increase shares.  So real certainty here I tell ya!  LOL    Hoping someone will say something here to un-jam my mental logs.

Hopefully the above distribution only represents the crypto portion of your portfolio. Common wisdom would be for most people to have BTC as their largest crypto holding. Your Ethereum weighting (70-80%) is way too high for any position, even ignoring the current bubble. If you are a bank wanting to test potential uses for distributed ledgers in a strict KYC environment absent decentralized control of funds XRP might be interesting. For anyone else XRP is not very interesting.
cryptodv

Activity: 1092
Merit: 507

btcstakes.com

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2016, 08:58:25 PM

Disclaimer: I have weighted portfolio of Bitcoin (5 - 10%), Ethereum (70 - 80%), XRP/Ripple (10 - 25%). I'm a HODLer, not a Day Trader,a nd reportionments are done rarely based on trends.  My purpose of this post is to try and determine whether a repportionment of Ripple is appropriate.  And I am currently of an equal mind.  33% to lower stake.  33% says stay hte course.  33% says increase shares.  So real certainty here I tell ya!  LOL    Hoping someone will say something here to un-jam my mental logs.

Hopefully the above distribution only represents the crypto portion of your portfolio. Common wisdom would be for most people to have BTC as their largest crypto holding. Your Ethereum weighting (70-80%) is way too high for any position, even ignoring the current bubble. If you are a bank wanting to test potential uses for distributed ledgers in a strict KYC environment absent decentralized control of funds XRP might be interesting. For anyone else XRP is not very interesting.

Best advice I've heard in months! Look at the Ether price now. I've been holding XRP's since 2014. Let's see what happens.

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY     
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.       
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.   
|      The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency       
   WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.   
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
TechorMarketing

Activity: 174

View Profile
April 09, 2016, 09:24:41 PM

Best advice I've heard in months! Look at the Ether price now. I've been holding XRP's since 2014. Let's see what happens.

Thank you. Sometimes I get accused of trolling but I try to be impartial.  I do not claim to be an expert on every coin. My comment was primarily directed at the asset allocation described by the post above.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... 559 »
  Print  

Jump to: