Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 11:38:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which top 10 crypto do you feel is most likely to change its political policies in a way that affects a majority of its community members negatively.
bitcoin - 21 (17.1%)
Ethereum - 29 (23.6%)
Ripple - 8 (6.5%)
Litecoin - 2 (1.6%)
Maidsafe - 2 (1.6%)
DASH - 27 (22%)
Dogecoin - 2 (1.6%)
Factom - 2 (1.6%)
Monero - 26 (21.1%)
BitShares - 4 (3.3%)
Total Voters: 123

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL - Which crypto do you feel is the biggest "scam"? - - REVISED 4 ACCURACY -  (Read 5130 times)
cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 03:01:51 PM

It would be interesting to know why on the 3rd place on the ballot Monero.
After all, it is not a clone of Bitcoin, the code base is completely different.
It is based on Cryptonote, I consider a great advantage among other coins.

All true.

I would say..

1. dash voting in spite.
2. some people don't like was not easy for all to mine at the start.

I don't think it's a scam but a few big miners took a lot of the coins through having more skills. Is fair . I guess it is to a degree but better initial distribution and opportunity for all is advisable if you don't want people to have things to gripe about at all. Also had a few issues with people in their community but this is not strictly related to the coin itself.

Over all = not a scam.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RJMcSherry

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 03:03:18 PM

They're all scams and then again they're all not scams... Depends on your relative time frame. If you look all these projects from a relative time frame of 100 years, then they're all instamine scams and contain unfair distribution models...

Why don't you do your research. Follow the devs. Use the tech. Speak with their community members. Look and what's been accomplished and what's in the pipeline. Last thing I would do personally is listen to a bunch of "experts" and use a poll to ask "mirror mirror on the wall, who's the trolliest of them all?"... Too vulnerable to deception.

Honestly, they're all wonderful projects with so much untapped potential. These are exciting times in the world of fintech. Each one of those cryptocurrencies listed will play a major role in the unseen future. It's pretty unfortunate that people let their emotions get the best of them and try and smear mud on someone else's hard work. We should all be working together to try and promote the adoption of cryptocurrencies and educate people everyday about the benefits of using them in our daily lives.

But then again, what do I know. Maybe I'm just a lonely troll looking to rain of someone's parade.

Just take the time and do your due diligence

:-)
AliceWonderMiscreations

Activity: 182
Merit: 107

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2016, 03:04:37 PM

Ethereum.

It tries to impress people with techno-babble that makes it sound like the idea is too intelligent to fail and you better buy even if you do not understand because it is going to be big.

Reality is, any crypto that fails the KISS test is dangerous. And the real-world utility of the techno-babble has not been demonstrated as something a real-world market actually exists for.

It can only be successful if the computing power it provides is cheap. It's often compared to oil, but oil is only of value because it is still cheaper than other energy sources.

As computing power continues to become cheaper and cheaper, Ethereum has to become less and less valuable or it won't be used by anyone other than a few nerds.

Yet it is being pumped like crazy. Lot of suckers out there I guess.

I hereby reserve the right to sometimes be wrong
cryptohunter
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 03:15:13 PM

They're all scams and then again they're all not scams... Depends on your relative time frame. If you look all these projects from a relative time frame of 100 years, then they're all instamine scams and contain unfair distribution models...

Why don't you do your research. Follow the devs. Use the tech. Speak with their community members. Look and what's been accomplished and what's in the pipeline. Last thing I would do personally is listen to a bunch of "experts" and use a poll to ask "mirror mirror on the wall, who's the trolliest of them all?"... Too vulnerable to deception.

Honestly, they're all wonderful projects with so much untapped potential. These are exciting times in the world of fintech. Each one of those cryptocurrencies listed will play a major role in the unseen future. It's pretty unfortunate that people let their emotions get the best of them and try and smear mud on someone else's hard work. We should all be working together to try and promote the adoption of cryptocurrencies and educate people everyday about the benefits of using them in our daily lives.

But then again, what do I know. Maybe I'm just a lonely troll looking to rain of someone's parade.

Dash holder??

There is no excuse for not making effort to distrubute within the crypto community. The other 7 billion are not interested/easily contacted right now and if they were and you did then what about aliens? should they call it a scam or instamine. Let's not use the aliens of the other 7 billion that we can't reach right now as an excuse not to distribute to the crypto community with a few key strokes and some fair play on this board. Any coin not doing so is not trying to have a broad initial distribution. Why would they not want a broad distribution?? they don't want their coin to go mainstream? they don't want more people in their community?? NO they want both these things but only AFTER they have all the coins to profiteer and extract max BTC from this community. That is the sole reason.

You have to be realistic here. You can ensure fair(ish) distribution in the crypto community. If you are claiming fair launch fair distribution and then engineering to hoard it all yourself = scam.

Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2016, 03:20:59 PM

All I know about DASH is what this smoking hot chick named Amanda said about it being a hybrid between a hashocracy and a meritocracy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQGlcLFhwE0

Oh...Amanda B. Johnson! I keep telling myself I should contact her when I've got something newsworthy about Horizon...She's a good sort.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

RJMcSherry

Activity: 25

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 03:21:39 PM

Dash holder??

There is no excuse for not making effort to distrubute within the crypto community. The other 7 billion are not interested/easily contacted right now and if they were and you did then what about aliens? should they call it a scam or instamine. Let's not use the aliens of the other 7 billion that we can't reach right now as an excuse not to distribute to the crypto community with a few key strokes and some fair play on this board. Any coin not doing so is not trying to have a broad initial distribution. Why would they not want a broad distribution?? they don't want their coin to go mainstream? they don't want more people in their community?? NO they want both these things but only AFTER they have all the coins to profiteer and extract max BTC from this community. That is the sole reason.

You have to be realistic here. You can ensure fair(ish) distribution in the crypto community. If you are claiming fair launch fair distribution and then engineering to hoard it all yourself = scam.

Crypto lover. Cheers ;-)
schlonged (OP)

Activity: 41

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 03:24:25 PM

All I know about DASH is what this smoking hot chick named Amanda said about it being a hybrid between a Hashocracy and a Meritocracy:

Oh...Amanda B. Johnson! I keep telling myself I should contact her when I've got something newsworthy about Horizon...She's a good sort.

Actually, we just proved that she was peddling fiction with her inaccurate description of the DASH governance model.  DASH may have started out as a hybrid Hashocracy/Meritocracy, but changed into a Dictatorship when the leader changed the laws that govern the money of the community.  

Liars lie, facts don't.

I'm sure that she was a victim, and not trying to perpetuate this lie.  Hopefully she recants/revises that story so that newbies, who are just now learning this new technology, do not get schlonged.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CYndeojWYAAgK84.jpg
Nxtblg
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2016, 03:40:40 PM

Do you like what your elected officials are doing with your tax dollars.  Don't get me started.

I came here hoping that today's American youth will help me make America great again, and it seems to be working:

If you're interested in a really long-range perspective:

Back in the Great Depression, folks got into the habit of fixing their own things because money was tight. That gave birth to a huge DIY culture. But it also gave birth to a huge number of people who had essentially trained themselves into becoming good with machines. So in the 1940s [WW2], '50s and '60s, there was a huge pool of workers who were skilled labour because they had trained themselves to be so. Not just the folks who had to slog through the Great Depression, but also the kids who put together go-karts, jalopies, radios, etc. in their backyards, shop classes, rooms, etc. After that great self-education, America had a great labour force perfectly times for the post-WW2 era.

This "long tail" of self-trained skilled workers made America great again after it was humbled by the Great Depression.

So: how to make America great again now? What better long-term framework than the same one that did work to get America on top after the G.D.?

This time 'round, it's computers and tech. Today's answer to the "Go-Kart" is the Raspberry Pi. Pis are already being used for the Internet of Things.

That's the long-range way to make America great again: chivvy every kid you know to get a Raspberry Pi and knock around with it. It's the "jalopy" of today! As with the last wave of DIYing, it'll take years to see any effect on the economy. But once those years are over...

...everyone will see that America made great again by America getting back to its DIY roots. Smiley

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

HinnomTX

Activity: 525
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 03:45:29 PM
Last edit: March 09, 2016, 04:10:05 PM by HinnomTX

If you are really looking to find a scam, the elephant in the room is Dash.

Yes, it is. "DASH = SCAM" is an altcoineer tradition. And the tradition continues. Smiley

Funny, though: the instamine happened - idk, two years ago? And how much X11Coin/Darkcoin/DASH has been redistributed through the exchanges since then ?  Huh
I'm not sure why NEM didn't make the poll. They almost scammed Tristan (Mr. Poloniex) out of his NEM by imposing an artificial deadline that made his NEMstake unconvertible to NEM. Read here: https://forum.nem.io/t/nemstake-redemption-deadline/1118

They made a little exception for him, but other NEMstake holders are still left in the cold with no NEM, even though all 9 billion NEM coins were created in the Genesis block, and are out there on the blockchain under someone's control, ready to be dumped on unsuspecting NEM hodlers.

Full disclosure: I still have irredeemable NEMstake because of this artificial and unnecessary 'policy' of refusing to honor the convertibility of NEMstake to NEM, so that old NEMstake holders are stripped of assets they paid for in good faith. Now THAT is a scam.

"One can only solve so much with cryptography. The rest of the solution will prove to be economic in nature." -Evan Duffield
Dash is Digital Cash.  https://www.dash.org
Nxtblg
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2016, 03:46:35 PM

All I know about DASH is what this smoking hot chick named Amanda said about it being a hybrid between a Hashocracy and a Meritocracy:

Actually, we just proved...

Whups - responded before I read the whole thread. Smiley

spatula

Activity: 507

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 03:54:40 PM

All true.

I would say..

1. dash voting in spite.

I don't think it's a scam but a few big miners took a lot of the coins through having more skills. Is fair . I guess it is to a degree but better initial distribution and opportunity for all is advisable if you don't want people to have things to gripe about at all. Also had a few issues with people in their community but this is not strictly related to the coin itself.

Over all = not a scam.

You do know that the miner released with Monero on launch was purposely and intentionally de-optimized right? If you purposely make a miner that is 100x slower than optimized for public release, (presumably so that the devs and insiders get a 100x advantage) is that not a scam?
noobtrader
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 04:00:08 PM

All true.

I would say..

1. dash voting in spite.

Over all = not a scam.

You do know that the miner released with Monero on launch was purposely and intentionally de-optimized right? If you purposely make a miner that is 100x slower than optimized for public release, (presumably so that the devs and insiders get a 100x advantage) is that not a scam?

scammy indeed  Cheesy

"...I suspect we need a better incentive for users to run nodes instead of relying solely on altruism...",  satoshi@vistomail.com
schlonged (OP)

Activity: 41

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 04:10:44 PM
Last edit: March 09, 2016, 04:25:48 PM by schlonged

I love these town hall forums:

Do you like what your elected officials are doing with your tax dollars.  Don't get me started.

I came here hoping that today's American youth will help me make America great again, and it seems to be working:

If you're interested in a really long-range perspective:

Back in the Great Depression, folks got into the habit of fixing their own things because money was tight. That gave birth to a huge DIY culture. But it also gave birth to a huge number of people who had essentially trained themselves into becoming good with machines. So in the 1940s [WW2], '50s and '60s, there was a huge pool of workers who were skilled labour because they had trained themselves to be so. Not just the folks who had to slog through the Great Depression, but also the kids who put together go-karts, jalopies, radios, etc. in their backyards, shop classes, rooms, etc. After that great self-education, America had a great labour force perfectly times for the post-WW2 era.

This "long tail" of self-trained skilled workers made America great again after it was humbled by the Great Depression.

So: how to make America great again now? What better long-term framework than the same one that did work to get America on top after the G.D.?

This time 'round, it's computers and tech. Today's answer to the "Go-Kart" is the Raspberry Pi. Pis are already being used for the Internet of Things.

That's the long-range way to make America great again: chivvy every kid you know to get a Raspberry Pi and knock around with it. It's the "jalopy" of today! As with the last wave of DIYing, it'll take years to see any effect on the economy. But once those years are over...

...everyone will see that America made great again by America getting back to its DIY roots. Smiley

You took the words right out of my mouth.  Why do you think I'm here?  To make America fat and lazy again?  

Bitcoin technology is not only legal in America, it is creating jobs for anyone who can program an app, or collect a developer bounty!  This forum is all about J.O.B.S. (Job Opportunities in the Business Sector), and that's why the establishment hates me, because I am a business man who supports your right to own stuff.

Bitcoin is Ownership.

Next question:

I'm not sure why NEM didn't make the poll. They almost scammed Tristan (Mr. Poloniex) out of his NEM by imposing an artificial deadline that made his NEMstake uncovertible to NEM. They made a little exception for him, but other NEMstake holders are still left in the cold with no NEM, even though all 9 billion NEM coins were created in the Genesis block, and are out there on the blockchain under someone's control, ready to be dumped on unsuspecting NEM hodlers.

That's exactly why I did not include any crypto below the top 10

I assumed that these market laggards were in the trash bin for a good reason.  The free market is pretty efficinet at weeding out obvious scams.

Obviously, according to the facts that you have just presented, I was correct in my assumption.

Any more questions:

Actually, we just proved...

Whups - responded before I read the whole thread. Smiley

You are correct sir, Amanda is distractingly hawt!

OK, I see that your questions are devolving into testosterone boner babble, and I need to keep my public image clean, so I'm leaving before I accidently crack another schlong joke on camera,

I'm not making the same mistake twice.  I know I'm smarter than that.  I may not know crypto, but I'm learning more than my competitors.  Trump 2016.  I play

to win

the game!

I don't play to lose:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zLlIdZikDk#t=2m40s

no more questions!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEfK-3Lwph0#t=1m4s

cryptohunter
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 04:12:43 PM

All true.

I would say..

1. dash voting in spite.

Over all = not a scam.

I did not know that?  Never seen a thread on that. If true the dashers would have been all over it surely?
If true that is a big issue for monero. Where is the thread on that I must have missed it. How long was it like that and it is possible to see there were single miners going at 100x speeds?

cryptohunter
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 04:18:38 PM

If you are really looking to find a scam, the elephant in the room is Dash.

Yes, it is. "DASH = SCAM" is an altcoineer tradition. And the tradition continues. Smiley

Funny, though: the instamine happened - idk, two years ago? And how much X11Coin/Darkcoin/DASH has been redistributed through the exchanges since then ?  Huh
I'm not sure why NEM didn't make the poll. They almost scammed Tristan (Mr. Poloniex) out of his NEM by imposing an artificial deadline that made his NEMstake unconvertible to NEM. Read here: https://forum.nem.io/t/nemstake-redemption-deadline/1118

They made a little exception for him, but other NEMstake holders are still left in the cold with no NEM, even though all 9 billion NEM coins were created in the Genesis block, and are out there on the blockchain under someone's control, ready to be dumped on unsuspecting NEM hodlers.

Full disclosure: I still have irredeemable NEMstake because of this artificial and unnecessary 'policy' of refusing to honor the convertibility of NEMstake to NEM, so that old NEMstake holders are stripped of assets they paid for in good faith. Now THAT is a scam.

I love NEM but do agree that is a harsh deadline indeed. They should have really held these in a pot for those that can prove their claims.
This is true for a few coins though if you don't keep an eye out coins swaps happen and you're out. With the coins swaps I can see their point though because people can keep mining on the old chain and swapping for new coins where mining competition is fierce. With NEM this is not the case. NEM stakes are now like 8BTC so gutting if you missed it I would freak out.

noobtrader
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 04:18:53 PM

All true.

I would say..

1. dash voting in spite.

Over all = not a scam.

I did not know that?  Never seen a thread on that. If true the dashers would have been all over it surely?
If true that is a big issue for monero. Where is the thread on that I must have missed it. How long was it like that and it is possible to see there were single miners going at 100x speeds?

im sure its written here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1151565.180  somewhere

btw, dasher are not bloodthirsty like moneroer

"...I suspect we need a better incentive for users to run nodes instead of relying solely on altruism...",  satoshi@vistomail.com
Nxtblg
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2016, 04:19:40 PM

You took the words right out of my mouth.  Why do you think I'm here?  To make America fat and lazy again?

No; that part comes later: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPr460uksB0

Cheesy

cryptohunter
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 04:34:15 PM

All true.

I would say..

1. dash voting in spite.

Over all = not a scam.

im sure its written here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1151565.180  somewhere

I'm sure if there was proof and any real fire with the smoke it would have combusted on the main forum? however things can smoulder away for a long time before actually moving to flames. It is the fanning that I believe makes the difference. Dash got away with it for ages. Then came the fan and whoosh. You can never get away with things forever. Best to build your house on good foundations out of stuff that can't be burned. I bought some xmr and holding it. I kind of like smooth from what i read. However of course if proved a scam and collapsed I would accept and not fight against it with excuses as some do from other coins. If it's a scam then just get on with things as best you reasonably can if you entered after it happened and didnt know better - but never defend it nor endorse the scamming actions else you start a slippery slope.

spatula

Activity: 507

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 04:47:23 PM

All true.

I would say..

1. dash voting in spite.

Over all = not a scam.

I'm sure if there was proof and any real fire with the smoke it would have combusted on the main forum? however things can smoulder away for a long time before actually moving to flames. It is the fanning that I believe makes the difference. Dash got away with it for ages. Then came the fan and whoosh. You can never get away with things forever. Best to build your house on good foundations out of stuff that can't be burneed. I bought some xmr and holding it. I kind of like smooth from what i read. However of course if proved a scam and collapsed I would accept and not fight against it with excuses as some do from other coins. If it's a scam then just get on with things as best you reasonably can if you entered after it happened and didnt know better - but never defend it nor endorse the scamming actions else you start a slippery slope.

What do you mean "Then came the fan and whoosh."? Dash has had a very consistent price with similar ups and downs to every other alt coins. If you overlay the DASH and XMR charts for the last year or so they look pretty much identical. There has been no "whoosh" unless you mean mean "whoosh, look at that consistent price and solid performance when compared to other successful cryptos.. whoosh".

As for the initial XMR mining scam, smooth will be here any minute to blame the original cryptonote/monero developers and/or perhaps claim it was an accident and that he never actually took part in the scam and that we should just trust his word that he knew nothing about it when monero was launched. Then in the next breath he will say that we can't trust Evan when he says initial DASH mining issues were an accident and that his accident is worse, so therefore we should ignore the XMR scam and focus on his biggest and most successful competitor, DASH.
BTKC

Activity: 29

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 05:02:10 PM

lol @ monero getting the 2nd to most votes.. Must be ppl who are invested in a competing anon coin/ppl who dislike certain monero community members  Roll Eyes
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: