Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:28:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for people to store some of the forum's money  (Read 35627 times)
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12873

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 03:12:14 AM

I am holding too much money for the forum. This is contrary to the forum's otherwise decentralized structure. I'd like to get some extremely trustworthy people to hold smaller chunks of the forum's money (maybe 250-500 BTC per person).

- You probably need to have been active in the Bitcoin community for at least a year.
- You probably need a very high OTC rating.
- You need to have dealt with far more BTC at one time than what you'll be holding for the forum.
- The list of "treasurers" and how much money they're holding will be public.
- The contract will be quite complex (I haven't finished writing it yet), as this is the forum's money, not mine, so you'll have to know what "the forum" is and in exactly which circumstances you can release the money.
- Full reserve is not a requirement, but you will be responsible for returning the money within a few weeks of a legitimate request no matter what.

If you're interested, post here with how much you would charge for this service and what your reserve policy would be.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 03:35:48 AM

Full reserve is not a requirement
If I was one of the donators I'd be very interested in knowing the rationale for that part.
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12873

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 03:44:43 AM

Full reserve is not a requirement
If I was one of the donators I'd be very interested in knowing the rationale for that part.

Allowing partial reserves is a reasonable alternative to paying storage fees.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 03:53:08 AM
Last edit: February 06, 2013, 04:19:48 AM by eleuthria

I would be more than happy to help theymos.  Registered member for almost 2 years, and I have had  ~750,000 BTC pass through BTC Guild since inception (exact records from before the pool changed to PPS aren't available to give a concrete BTC generated amount).

100% reserve available, multiple backup encrypted wallet file stored offline, and available for being returned in a short time frame (generally under 12 hours unless requested on the rare occasion where I don't have physical access to my storage for a few days).  Only restriction would be I would need a very clear writeup on how requests for returning the money would be handled/authorized to ensure they don't go where they're not supposed to.  Available at no charge, or a nominal amount like 1 BTC/month you want it to be a clear business arrangement.

Also, my personal information is readily available, I make no attempts to hide it [points to real name under his avatar].  And while the BTC Guild whois information is registered through a proxy, other domains [tradewithcoins.com, infocircuit.com, thoseoldgames.com] are not.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
LoweryCBS

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

firstbits 1LoCBS

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 04:04:45 AM

Fascinating! But, would not a better idea would be some type of split-key trust?

Kinda like: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=139625.0

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 04:11:38 AM

Fascinating! But, would not a better idea would be some type of split-key trust?
Now that Bitcoin supports multisig address it would be a shame if the most prominent Bitcoin forum didn't use them when the ideal use case presented itself.
Ryland R. Taylor-Almanza
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 04:12:55 AM

I am holding too much money for the forum. This is contrary to the forum's otherwise decentralized structure. I'd like to get some extremely trustworthy people to hold smaller chunks of the forum's money (maybe 250-500 BTC per person).

- You probably need to have been active in the Bitcoin community for at least a year.
- You need to have dealt with far more BTC at one time than what you'll be holding for the forum.
- The contract will be quite complex (I haven't finished writing it yet), as this is the forum's money, not mine, so you'll have to know what "the forum" is and in exactly which circumstances you can release the money.
- Full reserve is not a requirement, but you will be responsible for returning the money within a few weeks of a legitimate request no matter what.

If you're interested, post here with how much you would charge for this service and what your reserve policy would be.
While I can't say I've dealt with anywhere near 750,000 BTC, I've completed a lot of successful small trades on these forums and have never scammed anyone (I usually buy with paypal, so I definitely had a lot of chances,) and I obviously don't plan to in the future. I think my biggest selling point is that I have no problem giving out my personal information. I've used my real first and last name since I registered almost two years ago (and more recently, my middle initial,) and I'm perfectly willing to give my address and phone number through PM if you'd like to talk more about it.

I would also have multiple encrypted wallet copies on multiple computers. I would almost always be able to return the BTC within a few hours.

I'm not really sure how much a service like this is worth, but 1 BTC/month sounds fine to me. Full reserve.

.BITSLER.                 ▄███
               ▄████▀
             ▄████▀
           ▄████▀  ▄██▄
         ▄████▀    ▀████▄
       ▄████▀        ▀████▄
     ▄████▀            ▀████▄
   ▄████▀                ▀████▄
 ▄████▀ ▄████▄      ▄████▄ ▀████▄
█████   ██████      ██████   █████
 ▀████▄ ▀████▀      ▀████▀ ▄████▀
   ▀████▄                ▄████▀
     ▀████▄            ▄████▀
       ▀████▄        ▄████▀
         ▀████▄    ▄████▀
           ▀████▄▄████▀
             ▀██████▀
               ▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄            
▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀    ▄▄█▄▄ ▀▀▄         
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄      
█  ▀▄▄  ▀█▀▀ ▄      ▀████   ▀▀▄   
█ █▄  ▀▄   ▀████       ▀▀ ▄██▄ ▀▀▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█  ▀▀       ▀▄▄ ▀████      ▄▄▄▀▀▀  █
█            ▄ ▀▄    ▄▄▄▀▀▀   ▄▄  █
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ ▄▄   ███   ▀██  █           ▀▀  █ 
█ ███  ▀██       █        ▄▄      █ 
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  
▀▄            █        ▀▀      █  
▀▀▄   ███▄  █   ▄▄          █   
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    
▀▀▄   █   ▀▀▄▄▄▀▀▀         
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▀▀▀▀              
              ▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄▄████████████████▄▄
        ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄
▄     ▄█████▀             ▀█████▄
██▄▄ █████▀                ▀█████
 ████████            ▄██      █████
  ████████▄         ███▀       ████▄
  █████████▀▀     ▄███▀        █████
   █▀▀▀          █████         █████
     ▄▄▄         ████          █████
   █████          ▀▀           ████▀
    █████                     █████
     █████▄                 ▄█████
      ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
        ▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
          ▀▀████████████████▀▀
              ▀▀▀██████▀▀▀
            ▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
         ▄█▀▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀▀█▄
       █▀▀ ▄█████████████▄ ▀▀█
     █▀▀ ███████████████████ ▀▀█
    █▀ ███████████████████████ ▀█
   █▀ ███████████████▀▀ ███████ ▀█
 ▄█▀ ██████████████▀      ▀█████ ▀█▄
███ ███████████▀▀            ▀▀██ ███
███ ███████▀▀                     ███
███ ▀▀▀▀                          ███
▀██▄                             ▄██▀
  ▀█▄                            ▀▀
    █▄       █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
     █▄      ▀█████████▀
      ▀█▄      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
        ▀▀█▄▄  ▄▄▄
            ▀▀█████
[]
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 04:18:31 AM

Are all the other admins not trust worthy enough to help? Serious question.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2013, 04:23:09 AM

I would be willing to help with this but would prefer to orchestrate a scheme where I don't have any access to take the money, but rather, have a partial key that I am trusted to release under some certain condition(s).  The ideal scheme allows one or more of the participants to disappear without impacting access to the funds.

Why not do a 2-of-3 scheme where you, someone like me, and one other person has a keypart, and two people need to cooperate in order to release the funds.  I have an escrow utility that does that now, it's based on EC multiplication.  Any similar facility such as in Armory would be equally acceptable (especially if interested in m-of-n where m,n != 2,3).

I would not charge a fee, unless charging a fee were an essential element to make it kosher, in which case it would be 1 BTC/year.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Narydu
Donator

Activity: 743
Merit: 510

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2013, 04:53:15 AM

I could help! No problem with handling in my personal information. I'm trusted local trader. Prefer handling an access as cassasius prompted with a partial key, kept in an offline safe (bank). No charges unless needed.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 05:02:49 AM

I would be willing to hold a partial key.  Honestly I think this is almost a textbook perfect example of where either on protocol multi-sig or off protocol key sharing should be used. 
sublime5447
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 06:20:02 AM

Sure I will hold 500 btc in storage with out a full reserve requirement. I think you need 100% reserve but can be held in any accepted currencies in predetermined ratios. 
sounds

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

1221iZanNi5igK7oAA7AWmYjpsyjsRbLLZ

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 06:30:50 AM

I don't meet the requirements but I want to voice my support of a multi-sig m-of-n type setup.
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938

What's a GPU?

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 06:34:02 AM

I would be willing to help with this but would prefer to orchestrate a scheme where I don't have any access to take the money, but rather, have a partial key that I am trusted to release under some certain condition(s).  The ideal scheme allows one or more of the participants to disappear without impacting access to the funds.

Why not do a 2-of-3 scheme where you, someone like me, and one other person has a keypart, and two people need to cooperate in order to release the funds.  I have an escrow utility that does that now, it's based on EC multiplication.  Any similar facility such as in Armory would be equally acceptable (especially if interested in m-of-n where m,n != 2,3).

I would not charge a fee, unless charging a fee were an essential element to make it kosher, in which case it would be 1 BTC/year.

Write me down for the same exact thing.

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2013, 06:34:26 AM
Last edit: February 06, 2013, 08:22:45 AM by JoelKatz

I think you should try for a 100% reserve scheme where the holding addresses are publicly known. Only switch to a different scheme if you can't find enough people willing to help run a 100% reserve system. Using a 2-of-3 or similar key splitting scheme is a good idea too.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
sublime5447
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 06:37:18 AM

What if one of the members die? the funds are just lost?
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938

What's a GPU?

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 06:41:07 AM

What if one of the members die? the funds are just lost?

This is precisely why the 2of3 scheme would be optimal. What if theymos died right now? Surely we'd rather distribute therefore minimize our losses.

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 07:07:18 AM

I agree the sentiment on split-keys and find it silly that it wouldn't be done that way first and foremost.

TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2013, 07:13:15 AM

I am willing to hold a partial key.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 08:19:17 AM

If you deposit 1000 BTC you get a[n extremely rare] free MPEx account, whatever gpg you wish to use for it (yours, forum's, w/e). You can either keep it in there (in which case it'll just sit around and wait) or trade on it, in which case your risks are whatever you make them.

Withdrawals are processed within 48 hours (tho usually it's instant if you ping MP).

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: