Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:34:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  
Author Topic: R9 Nano Modded Rom  (Read 60842 times)
Talan

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 03:55:49 PM

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback. I ran some further tests today but still no solution found.

That's what I did:
- Tested Gen1 for Pcie: No change. I used to select Gen2 so far.
- Disabled onboard GPU: No change, except that I used the nano for the output

- Flashed -175mv rom. Reinstalled drivers after ddu. Windows reports "Your driver has crashed" in the taskbar. System is very laggy.
- Added a Radeon 390 used for the output which is not underclocked. 2 Nanos plugged in. No monitor attached to them. Windows runs stable now. Ran afterburner, changed to 1000mhz core for the nanos. Ran claymore miner. PC immediately freezed. Had to hard-reset.
- Flashed -100mv rom. Did the same above. Same result.
- Tried a Saphire Nano. Flashed -100mv. Same result.

Here's my system config (all NEW items which I just bought).
- AsRock BTC Pro H81 with 8GB RAM and CPU
- SSD
- eVGA 1300 Watt PSU. At max I ran 3 GPUs. PSU should not be an issue.
- Powered Risers
- XFX R9 Nanos
- Virgin Windows 10 installation.

Here's the register dump from AIDA64: http://speedy.sh/hNsKt/atigpureg.txt

Any further ideas? It's really starting to piss me off as I put so much time into this issue and still no progress.

But thanks so much for your ideas so far!
Talan

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
vaulter

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 04:55:18 PM

Claymores Dual Miner.

Thanks I will check it out.

CDM mines ETH and DCR together.

I use the ETH only mode, and CDM can push the 390 to near 30MHs.

I used qtminer before this because of the Stratum mode, now it's all CDM for my 390 rigs (149.5MHs@5x390@1290w-1350w@-100mV/1028Mhz/1500Mhz). Quite slick this miner, and its has many bells and whistles like failover, monitoring, solo-mode w/o proxy and it's Stratum compliant too.

I will be attempting Eliovp's Nano mod for my first Nano rig (I am still trying to get an afternoon off to do this). And combined with CDM, I think we have a winner for the highest hash at lowest possible wattage, amps for ETH mining.

Have you tried to mine with 1200 memory frequency. For my XFX 390 cards, there is no difference between 1200 and 1500MHz with 1050 Core.

WI'll try it out. My 390 is MSI so I think no issues in underclocking the memory mhz.

Thanks - works like a champ!

Try 1125, 1200 is a weird number in case of your timings.

1500 or 1375 or 1250 or 1125 is more like it Smiley

Eliovp.... done -100Mv/1050/1125.... 5x390=151MHs.
Do you happen to have a ROM mod for R9-390?

Btw, I have my Nanos in, I haven't spent time on the applying your mod yet. My first attempt gave me an error "GPU not found", when I ran the atiflash command with the parameters in your guide. I stopped there and will spend a longer weekend to do more reading. Any ideas? https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1424132.msg14946664#msg14946664

Will comment on that later mate, or perhaps help you out, but gotta go now, already late again for a meeting.

I have a rom for a 390(reference "hard to find") and will share another one that's running on my nitro's as soon as possible!

Greetings!

Hi there - can you share the r9 390 sapphire nitro rom with us - that will be useful
Thanks in advance!
Eliovp (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1293

Huh?

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2016, 08:36:35 PM

Talan,

Thx for that register dump.

Now try this one.

Link

Flash it, completely shut down your system (Turn off the electricity!), completely remove driver (DDU), reinstall driver, remove Afterburner profiles, run afterburner and slightly go down on the core voltage (steps of -6mV)
This one has -75mV VDDC and -75mV MVDDC. so basically you can still go to -100mV if you lower your core voltage in afterburner to -25mV. Your system will be already booted and won't be going crazy like it is right now.

If this works, let me know, i'll lower the memory voltage until you hit the sweet spot.

For all you other guys out there.

Here, R9390Nitro With Backplate modded rom that i'm using.

This rom will make your nitro into a power hungry beast so please be careful.
First run stock clocks(after the flash), if it's ok, raise your core voltage with little steps (+6mV).
DO NOT flash this rom on any other R9 390 brand. It will definitely screw it up!
So ONLY R9 390 Nitro with backplate. 

Link

Also.

This is a modified bios. Yeah...
This will void your warranty.
I am not responsible for a failed bios flash or damaged card resulting in the usage of this bios.
By downloading this you are agreeing that you take full responsibility for using this bios and hold no liability to me or this site.
If you feel uncomfortable, than don't.
If for some reason you do brick your card, because you probably didn't read my instructions to careful :p and you can't afford another one, than don't..
If you're happy with everything as it is right now, than don't.
If you're like me, and you want to get the most out of your GPU's. Than yeah. go ahead..
This goes for every bios i share.

Greetings!

citronick
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080

---- winter*juvia -----

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 09:37:31 PM

Hmmm.... so I should not use this Nitro ROM mod on my MSI R9 390? This also have a backplate....

If I provided you good and useful info or just a smile to your day, consider sending me merit points to further validate this Bitcointalk account ~ useful for future account recovery...
Eliovp (OP)
Legendary

Huh?

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2016, 09:38:05 PM

Hmmm.... so I should not use this Nitro ROM mod on my MSI R9 390? This also have a backplate....

No you should not Smiley

ailikun

Activity: 406
Merit: 254

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 10:39:41 PM

Huh

its the same, if you ask a question:  is it ok, to use a chip tuning soft, from honda and flash it to vw, both of them have wheels, dont they)))?

Komuto Herovato is definitely the chief engineer of bfl)
ailikun

Activity: 406
Merit: 254

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 10:42:26 PM

Can you tell us a bit more, about the rom?

Komuto Herovato is definitely the chief engineer of bfl)
cryptoprime

Activity: 57

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 02:48:18 AM

To be safe, if there is an option, I always set the PCIE generation to 1, that will make the system more stable.

Thanks for the tip! Seems to help.
vaulter

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 02:51:22 AM

Talan,

Now try this one.

Link

Flash it, completely shut down your system (Turn off the electricity!), completely remove driver (DDU), reinstall driver, remove Afterburner profiles, run afterburner and slightly go down on the core voltage (steps of -6mV)
This one has -75mV VDDC and -75mV MVDDC. so basically you can still go to -100mV if you lower your core voltage in afterburner to -25mV. Your system will be already booted and won't be going crazy like it is right now.

If this works, let me know, i'll lower the memory voltage until you hit the sweet spot.

For all you other guys out there.

This rom will make your nitro into a power hungry beast so please be careful.
First run stock clocks(after the flash), if it's ok, raise your core voltage with little steps (+6mV).
DO NOT flash this rom on any other R9 390 brand. It will definitely screw it up!
So ONLY R9 390 Nitro with backplate. 

Link

Also.

This is a modified bios. Yeah...
This will void your warranty.
I am not responsible for a failed bios flash or damaged card resulting in the usage of this bios.
By downloading this you are agreeing that you take full responsibility for using this bios and hold no liability to me or this site.
If you feel uncomfortable, than don't.
If for some reason you do brick your card, because you probably didn't read my instructions to careful :p and you can't afford another one, than don't..
If you're happy with everything as it is right now, than don't.
If you're like me, and you want to get the most out of your GPU's. Than yeah. go ahead..
This goes for every bios i share.

Greetings!

So what is this rom exactly in terms of parameters - I thought it was undervolt one?
gizmo84

Activity: 1

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 04:51:06 AM

No you should not Smiley

Do you have a version of this Bios that will work on a Asus r9 390 strix?

Your work is much appreciated!
Talan

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 01:20:36 PM

Talan,

Now try this one.

Link

Hi Eliovp,

I tried your ROM but it shows the same effect. I was able to change the core to 900mhz but once I started claymore's miner, the whole system crashed.

I really wonder why no other experiences this issue. What's your program to display your remote desktop? I use ultraVNC. I somehow suspect that the system still uses the GPU to render the remote desktop and causes the issue. Again, once I use internal graphics, no core/mem clock is shown in afterburner and I can't change the core to 1000.

Before I flashed the 75/75 rom, I just let it mine with the -100mv mem@800mhz bios and it worked @ 22mhz. Of course, I want to reach the 30mhz...
Do you think it can be due to asics quality?....
ldw-com

Activity: 229

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 03:26:06 PM

+43.75mV VDDC.
Maximum TDP has been raised
Power limit has been raised
TDC limit has been raised
Fan profile adjusted
Slightly different timings.

So what is this rom exactly in terms of parameters - I thought it was undervolt one?

Check above..

Nope, this is not an undervolted one. With an undervolt it is impossible to reach +32-33Mh, let alone 38-39.. (Ethereum).

Sorry i don't, as i don't own that card Smiley

Hi Eliovp,

I tried your ROM but it shows the same effect. I was able to change the core to 900mhz but once I started claymore's miner, the whole system crashed.

I really wonder why no other experiences this issue. What's your program to display your remote desktop? I use ultraVNC. I somehow suspect that the system still uses the GPU to render the remote desktop and causes the issue. Again, once I use internal graphics, no core/mem clock is shown in afterburner and I can't change the core to 1000.

Before I flashed the 75/75 rom, I just let it mine with the -100mv mem@800mhz bios and it worked @ 22mhz. Of course, I want to reach the 30mhz...

Talan,

From what i read there. (System freezing)

You have a power issue.

I've got over 100 Nano's, there's isn't a single one that can't handle 1000 core @ -100mV VDDC.

Obviously 800 core will run fine, it consumes practically nothing :p

If you raise your core clock, your power usage will go up. And not by a little, it will go up a lot if you compare it to 800 core clock.

So again, you're experiencing power issues.

How many nano's was that? 2, 3?
What kind of power supply do you use?
How did you connect your PCI power cables to your PSU? (2 on the same rail can cause it to crash..)
Have you tried just running 1 (1 connected to your motherboard "without a riser")?
What kind of motherboard is that? H81 pro btc? Molex connectors connected to the motherboard if you use non powered risers? Or if they're powered risers, than don't connect those molex connectors..

I can sum up so many things..

you'll have to figure out where it's going wrong mate..

Greetings!
vaulter

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 03:55:21 PM

+43.75mV VDDC.
Maximum TDP has been raised
Power limit has been raised
TDC limit has been raised
Fan profile adjusted
Slightly different timings.

Check above..

Nope, this is not an undervolted one. With an undervolt it is impossible to reach +32-33Mh, let alone 38-39.. (Ethereum).

Sorry i don't, as i don't own that card Smiley

Hi Eliovp,

Talan,

You have a power issue.

I've got over 100 Nano's, there's isn't a single one that can't handle 1000 core @ -100mV VDDC.

If you raise your core clock, your power usage will go up. And not by a little, it will go up a lot if you compare it to 800 core clock.

How did you connect your PCI power cables to your PSU? (2 on the same rail can cause it to crash..)
Have you tried just running 1 (1 connected to your motherboard "without a riser")?
What kind of motherboard is that? H81 pro btc? Molex connectors connected to the motherboard if you use non powered risers? Or if they're powered risers, than don't connect those molex connectors..

Greetings!
Can you mod for an undervolt one - that is especially important for this power hungry r9 390?
Talan

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 03:59:05 PM

Talan,

You have a power issue.

Greetings!

Thanks for your answer, Eliovp!
I tested with only one Nano connected. Directly plugged into the Motherboard -before that I used powered riser. I have no molex plugged into the motherboard (which should be fine as I have only one card connected and if more, only via powered riser).

As a power supply, I use the ESVGA 1300 Watt. Completely new with one dedicated rail for each gpu. Otherwise there's only the HDD and mainboard that uses power. That definitely should be sufficient.
The Motherboard is H81 btc. I updated to the latest firmware...

What AMD driver version are you running?
I will run some tests tomorrow, but there are not many options left.

Cheers,
Talan

Eliovp (OP)
Legendary

Huh?

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2016, 04:45:23 PM

Can you mod for an undervolt one - that is especially important for this power hungry r9 390?

I'll post an undervolted one later today.

Thanks for your answer, Eliovp!
I tested with only one Nano connected. Directly plugged into the Motherboard -before that I used powered riser. I have no molex plugged into the motherboard (which should be fine as I have only one card connected and if more, only via powered riser).

As a power supply, I use the ESVGA 1300 Watt. Completely new with one dedicated rail for each gpu. Otherwise there's only the HDD and mainboard that uses power. That definitely should be sufficient.
The Motherboard is H81 btc. I updated to the latest firmware...

What AMD driver version are you running?
I will run some tests tomorrow, but there are not many options left.

Cheers,
Talan

I'm running 16.1.1, 16.4.1 and 16.5.3

All doing perfectly fine!

I however run my 6 nano rigs with a LEPA G1700 (and a few G1600's).
But your setup seems to be okay.

Good luck with the tests, i seriously hope you figure it out!

There must be a reason why it's failing. It's just finding it that can sometimes be a struggle.

Greetings!

mandica

Activity: 693
Merit: 508

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 05:09:33 PM

When you under volt, do you just change the base voltage to 800 mV or lower? Do  you have one for XFX?
vaulter

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 05:34:12 PM

I'll post an undervolted one later
Thanks a lot!
can you also post the number are you getting with these in terms of hash at clocks you use and power draw - if you did measurments
Bokelka

Activity: 242
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 05:37:08 PM

How do you change the R9 390 memory timing? Do you copy the 800MHz timing to replace the 1000 MHz ones?
Eliovp (OP)
Legendary

Huh?

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2016, 06:03:22 PM

When you under volt, do you just change the base voltage to 800 mV or lower? Do  you have one for XFX?

No i don't, i add an offset of "for example" -25mV to the rom so that voltage (VDDC) is added to all DPM states or reduced from all DPM states.

In this case the voltage controller dynamically changes the voltage (as it is also when stock rom).
But now of course with a reduced (or raised in this case) standard VDDC that i set in the rom itself.

Thanks a lot!
can you also post the number are you getting with these in terms of hash at clocks you use and power draw - if you did measurments

I should do retest because i can't remember what the numbers were.

How do you change the R9 390 memory timing? Do you copy the 800MHz timing to replace the 1000 MHz ones?

Check here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1561372/hawaii-bios-editing-290-290x-295x2-390-390x
Under Memory Timings Modding.

Wink

Greetings

RoseMann

Activity: 270
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 06:39:34 PM

Which memory frequency strap did you change, where do you get the mod memory frequency? Or How do you decide the strap?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  

Jump to: