Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 08:52:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: is it possible to hack your bitcoin from your wallet?  (Read 14269 times)
arwin100

Activity: 2730
Merit: 809

Jack of all trades 💯

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2016, 09:05:48 AM

I don't think that is possible as I haven't experienced so far and I think bitcoins are very safe in any bitcoin wallet that we use as all wallets have some safe and unique features.

Yes desktop wallets are safe and cannot be hacked unless your desktop is hacked or stolen.
Web wallets have this fear that they can be hacked

Online wallet quite vulnerable for being hack as some people may send you malware from clicking some link.
So just beware to not click any suspicious link that being sent from new guy that you just know it first time.

I have use multibit to import private key from online wallet if something happen to it
Desktop wallet can be hacked too, did you know that
There has been many case of people clicking on some random links from the internet, and Bam
The hacker just infected your PC and probably a keylogger is installed there

So Desktop wallet has the same risks as you would have on your online accounts

I believe the truly safest wallet is Hardware wallet, they can't be installed with virus as keyloggers Wink
But hey, just my opinions

I think it can be hack to by using phising site were if you log in your user id and pass It will automatically save to phising site makers sites. some other phising sites is upgraded they make it look like online wallets to if you dont look carefully and you log in bang you are been hack. But to avoid it dont click thosr shorten links. Or so could lame promos bait dont cliCk For your safety.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
futurebit640

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 10:06:37 AM

Yes there some fellows are there they can hack our wallet. I had experience with this some one hacked my wallet and played gambling he loose all my money but not did anything other stuff to my account just used my balance that's it so be carefull about your wallet.
azeminjo09

Activity: 249
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 06:58:59 PM

Every damn thing on the internet can be hacked. People just need time to figure how to
Gunthar

Activity: 1498
Merit: 614

Liable for what i say, not for what you understand

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2016, 10:37:58 PM

Every damn thing on the internet can be hacked. People just need time to figure how to
Propably hacking bitcoin would take biblic time...something to ponder about...

▄██▀ ▄█████▄
     ▄██▀ ▄███▀ ▐███▄
   ▄██▀ ▄███▀    █████▄
 ▄██▀ ▄███▀    ▄██▀  ▀██▄
██▀ ▄███▀    ▄██▀      ▀██▄
██ ███▀    ▄██▀    █▄    ███
██ ███    ███    ▄███    ███
██ ███▄    ▀███▄███▀     ███
██▄ ▀███▄    ▀███▀    ▄███▀
 ▀██▄ ▀███▄         ▄███▀
   ▀██▄ ▀███▄     ▄███▀
     ▀██▄ ▀███▄ ▄███▀
       ▀██▄ ▀█████▀
████
████  ████
████  ████  ████
████  ████  ████
████  ████  ████
████  ████  ████
████  ████  ████
████  ████  ████
████  ████  ████

████  ████  ████
████  ████  ████

████  ████  ████
████  ████  ████
████
████  ████
████  ████  ████
████  ████  ████
████  ████  ████
████  ████  ████
████  ████  ████
████  ████  ████
████  ████  ████

████  ████  ████
████  ████  ████

████  ████  ████
████  ████  ████
         ▄█████▄ ▀██▄
       ▄███▀ ▐███▄ ▀██▄
     ▄███▀    █████▄ ▀██▄
   ▄███▀    ▄██▀  ▀██▄ ▀██▄
 ▄███▀    ▄██▀      ▀██▄ ▀██
███▀    ▄██▀    █▄    ███ ██
███    ███    ▄███    ███ ██
███▄    ▀███▄███▀    ▄███ ██
 ▀███▄    ▀███▀    ▄███▀ ▄██
   ▀███▄         ▄███▀ ▄██▀
     ▀███▄     ▄███▀ ▄██▀
       ▀███▄ ▄███▀ ▄██▀
         ▀█████▀ ▄██▀
uname

Activity: 420

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 10:50:06 PM

yeah every thing on the internet has the possibility to be hacked. but not many people can do that
therefore to avoid it. 2FA may be very helpful to secure your account

BitcoinSupremo
Copper Member

Activity: 1442
Merit: 529

View Profile
April 11, 2016, 06:30:29 AM

Desktop wallets can be hacked too, if you are dumb enough to keep your PC unprotected click everything which is in front of you.

Electrum is great , if you use it in safe environment  like Linux , keep its seed encrypted in safe USB or external HDD , don't click suspicious links (although risk of malware in Linux is smaller, it still exists).

If you are using a online wallet, first make sure to make your Gmail account 2FA with sms to your mobile phone, then proceed to create an online wallet, add 2FA there, and keep 2FA unique one time key which can disable it, safer in some encrypted document in USB or external HDD also.

This is the best protection you can have on online wallets and safety. If you are smart and brave enough no hacker can outbreak you.
Wendigo
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036

View Profile
April 11, 2016, 06:37:51 AM

I would like to suggest not downloading any shady pirated software because I have seen news where people got their coins stolen after downloading cracked games etc. The thieves can add scripts so that after running the exe.file you system will be scanned for any wallet.data files and your stash will be silently wiped away while you are messing around with the fake pirated  software. This is rampant with newly released highly anticipated games and such. Just be careful guys.
BitcoinPC

Activity: 812
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 11, 2016, 08:46:37 AM

Ways on how to get the password of a user or of an account :

Dictionary Attacks
Bruteforce
Keylogger
Cookies of your websites and etc

So becareful of what your doing, Click at your own risk !

don't make me laugh dictionary attacks and brute force ,are you serious. it will take ages to get into, even with a super computer if you have a good password and everyone does use a strong pass for sure, the other two .keylogger ,malware and cookie hijacks are a reality and it is the easiest way to get into anyone's privacy  Wink

Youd be surprised how many set no password at all. I dont think everyone uses a strong password and some wallets are badly defended against brute force attacks as well.

Technically not possible to hack a wallet unless you are careless with ur private keys and passwords
vendetahome

Activity: 658

View Profile
April 11, 2016, 10:05:46 AM

Just come it to my mind. is it possible? to get hook into your wallet and send some to another wallet? Undecided

yes it is possible, but you have to be very stupid to let that happen, first of all, set as many passwords and other security a you can, don't share your codes to anyone because if you will, there might be a chance that somebody will try to get in your wallet, and if someone will then you will probably lose them
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2016, 10:44:41 AM

yes it is possible, but you have to be very stupid to let that happen, first of all, set as many passwords and other security a you can, don't share your codes to anyone because if you will, there might be a chance that somebody will try to get in your wallet, and if someone will then you will probably lose them
Your suggestion is not helpful. If one's desktop gets infected, no password in the world can help you. This is due to the fact that the 'evil' entity is able to install a keylogger and record your password(s). Users that use a desktop wallet need to educate themselves about general security and safe browsing habits.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
paulino_ (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2016, 04:26:19 PM

I thinks there's no way out for the hacker. haha  Grin
BitcoinBlackjack

Activity: 182

View Profile
April 11, 2016, 09:18:36 PM

There are so many ways of securing your BTC.
Getting a wallet like Electrum makes it so no one can send money out without a password.
Storing your wallet in cold storage makes it so it's not accessible from the internet (only by your computer).
People store wallets on USB keys that remain in a safe, but then you have the inconvenience of accessing your coins when in need.

It's really all about a security vs. convenience tradeoff, but overall some very solid ways of keeping your coins safe!
paulino_ (OP)

Activity: 16

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2016, 09:59:41 AM

Getting a wallet like Electrum makes it so no one can send money out without a password.
Storing your wallet in cold storage makes it so it's not accessible from the internet (only by your computer).
People store wallets on USB keys that remain in a safe, but then you have the inconvenience of accessing your coins when in need.

It's really all about a security vs. convenience tradeoff, but overall some very solid ways of keeping your coins safe!

good idea:)
Julahid

Activity: 28

View Profile
April 12, 2016, 10:06:51 AM

Did you mean to ask if it is possible to hack your wallet by knowing your wallet address? If that's so, then the answer is no.
Anno MMXVI

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 12, 2016, 11:50:47 AM

Yes it is. If you download something infected by a malicious software, usually malicious altcoin wallets, it can make several things, from purely sending without your consent your bitcoins if you don't have any password on your PC, to copying his address instead of the one you want to send your coins to if your wallet is protected.
lienfaye

Activity: 2926
Merit: 629

View Profile
April 12, 2016, 12:18:28 PM

In our local wallets yes it is possible i dont know if it is inside job or what but many clients most especially big time investors had this problem. but in other wallet it is impossible to hacked because of their security features.

Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
April 12, 2016, 12:53:08 PM

first of all I want to add that this is a very good way of securing your coins while still having access to them but you have to add one step and that is storing the seed in a separate place because USB disks like any other thing are subject to problems like breaking down or just an error like bad sector.

also for convenience you should have two wallets one is hotwallet for small transactions like the money you keep in your pocket.
and one is cold storage which has the big amount like your bank that you visit from time to time not everyday.

Only Bitcoin
defined

Activity: 574

View Profile
April 12, 2016, 01:03:00 PM

How about the owner of the wallets.(wallet company) is it possible to check your balance your account details etc..
coz you sign up and create your passcode etc.. and put some bitcoins to your wallets.
It depends per wallet. Blockchain.info runs in your browser, it is not possible for the 'company' to check your balance.
Newcoins2020

Activity: 406

View Profile
April 12, 2016, 01:11:19 PM

I don't think that is possible as I haven't experienced so far and I think bitcoins are very safe in any bitcoin wallet that we use as all wallets have some safe and unique features.

Yes desktop wallets are safe and cannot be hacked unless your desktop is hacked or stolen.
Web wallets have this fear that they can be hacked

Online wallet quite vulnerable for being hack as some people may send you malware from clicking some link.
So just beware to not click any suspicious link that being sent from new guy that you just know it first time.

I have use multibit to import private key from online wallet if something happen to it
Desktop wallet can be hacked too, did you know that
There has been many case of people clicking on some random links from the internet, and Bam
The hacker just infected your PC and probably a keylogger is installed there

So Desktop wallet has the same risks as you would have on your online accounts

I believe the truly safest wallet is Hardware wallet, they can't be installed with virus as keyloggers Wink
But hey, just my opinions

Indeed, I'm thinking the same thing a lot of people also think they are good defended against hackers but this is just not true because if you click on something it can go wrong in my eyes with all these virus links nowadays.
Its mostly just a matter of time before this happens and I think its also good to have a paper wallet for your big amounts to be sure you cannot not get hacked.
nielaminda

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 12, 2016, 01:28:49 PM

Yes it is possible if you have a virus already in the pc you are using which have a key logger in it and with that they can get all info on what wallet you are using and what is your password,its safe if you have a 2FA which will need a mobile phone authentication before you can withdraw your money.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: