Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 05:59:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should Monero relaunch with an ICO?  (Voting closed: May 13, 2017, 07:04:02 PM)
Yes - 14 (14.6%)
No - 21 (21.9%)
Perhaps - 1 (1%)
I don't care - 9 (9.4%)
Monero is dead - 36 (37.5%)
That poll is stupid - 15 (15.6%)
Total Voters: 96

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should Monero run an ICO?  (Read 7601 times)
prettybuds (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 07:04:02 PM

I think now that Monero has flopped they could consider relaunching the network with an ICO

I mean like LISK and etc is doing, just use an existing project (in Monero's case Monero, in Lisk's case Crypti), and relaunch it with an ICO to work on the unfinished product.

That means Monero devs can attract a lot of funds and then finally finish the GUI etc

what say you,  folks?

It should be voted by stakes holders so they can make the ICO a successful one,people are quick to think that the dev just want more money from the community so they need to set up a poll to see if the community will agree on this one..

They don't need an ICO, perhaps they just need one or two capable developers.

With an ICO they can get not only two but four or five developer and a very active gui and more funds for marketing this coin so it's best in my opinion to proceed with the ICO but with community voting..

TLDR: Monero can currently be considered a failed project as development has halted. They lack capable developers and funds to attract capable developers to help develop the coin. Should the Monero team run an ICO? ie. ICO & exchange of current XMR (Proof of Ownership) to the new chain?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
somacoin

Activity: 497
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2016, 07:14:48 PM

I voted "I don't care".

If that should ever happen though, I might invest. Grin
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 07:22:09 PM

Why should anyone invest in a late ICO for a botnetcoin with a bunch of holders?

Not your keys, not your coins!
cryptodromeda

Activity: 212

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 07:22:59 PM

Can you guys stop trolling Monero?

At some point I'm looking to buy back lower but you keep pushing the price up.

It's a kind of blindness that reason alone cannot cure.
prettybuds (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 07:24:52 PM

hi cryptodromeda! what do you mean?

botnetcoin

hi bathrobehero! could you explain this?

bathrobehero
Legendary

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 07:51:04 PM

botnetcoin

Hi, Monero is almost exclusively mined by botnets which alone gives it a terrible name and for good reason as well.

jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1106

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 07:53:57 PM

botnetcoin

Hi, Monero is almost exclusively mined by botnets which alone gives it a terrible name and for good reason as well.

How do you know this? What does almost exclusively mean? I know at least a dozen or so folks mining with GPUs. Why would GPU miner development continue (Claymore miner, Wolf miner, ccminer) if it was dominated by botnets?
obit33

Activity: 514
Merit: 258

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 07:56:37 PM

^this indeed...

stop giving monero a trollboner please!

bathrobehero
Legendary

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 07:58:08 PM

botnetcoin

How do you know this? What does almost exclusively mean? I know at least a dozen or so folks mining with GPUs. Why would GPU miner development continue (Claymore miner, Wolf miner, ccminer) if it was dominated by botnets?

Simple, take a look at what's profitable with GPUs and what's profitable on CPUs (for which you don't even have to pay any electricity!).

GPU miners mining Monero are either just way too dedicated and/or dumb because they could mine pretty much anything else, sell that, buy more Monero and end up with way more Monero or people with some highly optimized super efficient miners which is possible but unlikely.

generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2016, 08:08:08 PM

botnetcoin

Simple, take a look at what's profitable with GPUs and what's profitable on CPUs (for which you don't even have to pay any electricity!).

GPU miners mining Monero are either just way too dedicated and/or dumb because they could mine pretty much anything else, sell that, buy more Monero and end up with way more Monero or people with some highly optimized super efficient miners which is possible but unlikely.

Why do I get the feeling smooth has corrected you on this and you forgot?  Roll Eyes

What I don't get is how you expect an asic resistant cc (which wants to remain POW and decentralized) to stop this--care to elaborate?

bathrobehero
Legendary

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 08:21:27 PM

botnetcoin

Why do I get the feeling smooth has corrected you on this and you forgot?  Roll Eyes

What I don't get is how you expect an asic resistant cc (which wants to remain POW and decentralized) to stop this--care to elaborate?

Quote that if you like but I don't remember it.

Anyway, you act like ASIC friendly algos are worse than a handful of individuals who happen to have infected hundreds or even thousands of random PCs and taking profits while having zero cost themselves.

I get that it actually helps securing the network more than anything but ASICs at least are legal and harmless.

generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2016, 08:30:45 PM
Last edit: May 22, 2016, 08:42:36 PM by generalizethis

botnetcoin

Anyway, you act like ASIC friendly algos are worse than a handful of individuals who happen to have infected hundreds or even thousands of random PCs and taking profits while having zero cost themselves.

I get that it actually helps securing the network more than anything but ASICs at least are legal and harmless.

Legal, yes. Harmless, no.

We can agree to disagree here, but I'll take the security of the network over the misuse of botnet miners any day.

jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1106

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 08:31:27 PM

botnetcoin

I get that it's near the bottom of the list on whattomine, but that doesn't necessarily imply that it is dominated by botnets. It could be enthusiasts (dedicated/dumb people), it could be many people mining with their laptops because they don't care about the couple dollars in power costs that will accrue over a month, it could be people with access to corporate/university clusters that they mine with while idle (while similar to a botnet, I wouldn't consider it the same). It could be a lot of things, but you insist that it is a botnet dominated coin without offering anything except for the profitability relative to other coins.
bathrobehero
Legendary

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 09:18:36 PM

Legal, yes. Harmless, no.

We can agree to disagree here, but I'll take the security of the network over the misuse of botnet miners any day.

I don't share your opinion so yeah, we should certainly agree to disagree.

I get that it's near the bottom of the list on whattomine, but that doesn't necessarily imply that it is dominated by botnets. It could be enthusiasts (dedicated/dumb people), it could be many people mining with their laptops because they don't care about the couple dollars in power costs that will accrue over a month, it could be people with access to corporate/university clusters that they mine with while idle (while similar to a botnet, I wouldn't consider it the same). It could be a lot of things, but you insist that it is a botnet dominated coin without offering anything except for the profitability relative to other coins.

There are some of each kind of miners just as I said but almost 20 BTC worth of Monero is being mined every single day and GPUs are not that much profitable than CPUs and we know huge botnets exists (there were several clear proofs of that in the past) and what else botnets would mine then? Certainly not magi or whatever low-volume high n-factor scrypt-jane coins or whatever fringe CPU-friendly coins are out there especially after some crpytos like VTC changed their algo just to avoid botnets.

generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2016, 09:28:21 PM

I definitely will not participate in ICO, if they run it .
Not the way they have chosen.
There is far more effective methods , such as a direct reward developers.

Almost no one in the community would accept an ICO either, and certainly not the developers, so it's a pointless exercise.

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
May 23, 2016, 03:02:53 AM

TLDR: Monero can currently be considered a failed project as development has halted. They lack capable developers and funds to attract capable developers to help develop the coin. Should the Monero team run an ICO? ie. ICO & exchange of current XMR (Proof of Ownership) to the new chain?

Seriously dude, WTF is wrong with you? Development has not halted, there is development like every day, a significant new update with massive performance increases is imminent. It attracts not only capable (many) but also top tier developers like hyc and the unfortunately now-deceased warptangent, and even idiots like me who help (if you could call it that) with debugging occasionally.

There is no reason to insult the excellent developers who have worked hard on the project for little money or as volunteers and done great work. If you want to insult me, go for it. Don't insult them with your retarded trolling.
generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2016, 10:01:05 AM

I think now that Monero has flopped they could consider relaunching the network with an ICO

I mean like LISK and etc is doing, just use an existing project (in Monero's case Monero, in Lisk's case Crypti), and relaunch it with an ICO to work on the unfinished product.

That means Monero devs can attract a lot of funds and then finally finish the GUI etc

what say you,  folks?

It should be voted by stakes holders so they can make the ICO a successful one,people are quick to think that the dev just want more money from the community so they need to set up a poll to see if the community will agree on this one..

They don't need an ICO, perhaps they just need one or two capable developers.

With an ICO they can get not only two but four or five developer and a very active gui and more funds for marketing this coin so it's best in my opinion to proceed with the ICO but with community voting..

If a failed coin is desperate enough to run an ICO as a last throw the dice to stay relevant then i guess all the power to them. 

An ICO might even raise enough funding to attract capable and experienced developers to deliver innovation and get out of just bug fixing and rewording code comments.

Complexity is the enemy of security and it almost always comes in the guise of features or innovations. At the end of the day, fixing bugs and testing threat models isn't sexy or glamorous, and it surely won't fool some noobs into thinking you've found the cure for cancer, but it's the only way to create a cryptographic system that performs as advertised--and does so long into the future.

Dash won the BS war, ceti, enjoy and savor it--but know, when it becomes a software war, all those complex features you built, at the cost of simplicity, are going to break down mid-combat and send your troops scurrying for cover.

Shrikez

Activity: 399
Merit: 263

View Profile
May 23, 2016, 11:34:44 AM

Let's just make shit up and hope it sticks. Trolling 101, first page, first chapter, first sentence.

You folks just can't stomach the relative success of this niche crypto...and all that without endless threads stacked with fancy marketing pic full quotes, announcements of possible announcements of announcements of possible future features, #hashtag SEO orgies etc etc.

Your lack of character is disgusting.

Die Würde des Menschen ist unantastbar
prettybuds (OP)

View Profile
May 23, 2016, 12:41:00 PM
Last edit: May 23, 2016, 12:56:23 PM by prettybuds

Your lack of character is disgusting.

Let me reply to this wonderful comment of yours with your signature: Die Würde des Menschen ist unantastbar

Seriously dude, WTF is wrong with you? Development has not halted, there is development like every day, a significant new update with massive performance increases is imminent. It attracts not only capable (many) but also top tier developers like hyc and the unfortunately now-deceased warptangent, and even idiots like me who help (if you could call it that) with debugging occasionally.

There is no reason to insult the excellent developers who have worked hard on the project for little money or as volunteers and done great work. If you want to insult me, go for it. Don't insult them with your retarded trolling.

Good day smooth, I never intended to insult you or the other developers! This is just my personal opinion that is shared by a number of people. You can, of course, prove me wrong. I might be wrong. No offense! I am not trolling here! Please excuse me if it seems that way.
Dassi

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 23, 2016, 01:29:34 PM

Trading monero is very risky indeed.

If the project failed once, what's the assurance that it will not fail again?

It's safe not to invest but watch for a while, at least.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: