Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 01:51:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitfinex HACKED - funds stolen !  (Read 32116 times)
philiveyjr
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 09:33:39 AM

I read more than 80m$ worth of coins stolen. So little of them dumped till now. When this is over we may see below 300$ if that's true.

This will end so badly. Everything that people worked for till now will be dirt. Families will be ruined. So sad.
Usually in cases like these, the coins aren't sold immediately due to everyone trying to track them. But its the speculation and the market sentiments which leads to the crash. The real crash happens later when those coins are actually sold. But I doubt they are sold on exchanges.

Zoomer

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 09:42:38 AM

How stupid is this service or exchanger did they really keeped 120K bitcoins ONLINE? Why not use hardware wallets or paperwallets for a such high sum of money i got the feeling they just try to run away and steal money
Tanic

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 09:44:27 AM

I even didn't hear about such online exchanger as Bitfinex. But it's is just crazy. That shows that every online exchanger is not saved. But from where you found that this site is illegal? Must be exactly cause of that bitcoin fell down yesterday.
mayax (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 09:51:49 AM

How stupid is this service or exchanger did they really keeped 120K bitcoins ONLINE? Why not use hardware wallets or paperwallets for a such high sum of money i got the feeling they just try to run away and steal money

Answer from Bitfinex:

We don't use cold storage for bitcoin, since our implementation with bitgo we've used segregated customer wallets so that each user has their own bitcoin wallet.  

So, no cold wallet, no reserves, no nothing. Speachless   LOL

Of course, it doesn't say about their bank account where all their cash is stored Smiley
btbrae

Activity: 680
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 09:52:44 AM

Let's face it, none of these "exchanges" are secure, because they are run by people. People are greedy, it is nature. Most people have figured out by now that these companies don't get "hacked", they get a greedy employee or even owner who decides that they stand to gain far more than they can possibly lose when the average law officer barely knows how to use a keyboard let alone mine Bitcoin transaction data. And so we see the same pattern repeat itself; missing BTC, weeks offline, suddenly the owners disappear into a wall of a shame, yeah right - in the Caribbean somewhere. That's why the price tanks, because so long after Mtgox people are still relying on centralized exchanges where this happens time and time again. These "hacks" tend to come in waves also, as all great thieves realise that any diversion is an opportunity, so having your BTC on any exchange right now is folly.
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1520

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2016, 09:55:15 AM

Let's face it, none of these "exchanges" are secure, because they are run by people. People are greedy, it is nature. Most people have figured out by now that these companies don't get "hacked", they get a greedy employee or even owner who decides that they stand to gain far more than they can possibly lose when the average law officer barely knows how to use a keyboard let alone mine Bitcoin transaction data. And so we see the same pattern repeat itself; missing BTC, weeks offline, suddenly the owners disappear into a wall of a shame, yeah right - in the Caribbean somewhere. That's why the price tanks, because so long after Mtgox people are still relying on centralized exchanges where this happens time and time again. These "hacks" tend to come in waves also, as all great thieves realise that any diversion is an opportunity, so having your BTC on any exchange right now is folly.
+1

maybe inside job! let's wait for more explanation from them.

Snorek
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 10:01:42 AM

Answer from Bitfinex:

We don't use cold storage for bitcoin, since our implementation with bitgo we've used segregated customer wallets so that each user has their own bitcoin wallet.  

Of course, it doesn't say about their bank account where all their cash is stored Smiley
This is hilarious and to be frank it is exactly what you will get by trying to be smart and cut corners.
We suffered the 2nd biggest theft in the history of bitcoin just because these bastard refused to use cold wallets?
Sidi25

Activity: 134
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2016, 10:06:05 AM

i agree totally with that! Isnt it everytime and everywhere the same problem with ppl.
Someone gives them a bit the power of sth and they start to be greedy as hell.
Noone is really happy with what he has.

,╓▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄╓                
            ╓▄█████████████████▄╖           
         ╓▄█████▀▀'▒,,,,,╠'▀▀█████▄,        
       ,▓███▀╜,▄▄███████████▄▄,╙▀████╖      
      ▄███▀ ▄█████▀▀"``╙"▀▀█████▄ ▀███▄     
     ▓███╜╓████▀ ,▄▄█████▄▄, ▀████,╙███▌    
    ▓███`╔███▀ ╓▓███▀▀▀▀▀████╖ ▀███@"███▌   
   ]███▌┌███▌ ▐███         ███▄ ▐███ ▐███,  
   ▐███ ▐███ .███           ███  ███▌ ███▌  
   ▐███ ▐███ '███           ███  ███▌ ███▌  
   ]███@╙███@ ▀██▌        ,▄██▌ ▐███ ▐███`  
    ▓███ ▐███▄ ╙██▀╩     9███╜ ╔███▀,███▌   
     ████,╙███▌               ▓███╜,████    
      ▀███▄ ▀╜                 ▀▀ ▄███▌     
       ╙████▄,                 ╓▄████╜      
         ╙█████▄▄╓,       ,╓▄▄█████▀        
            ▀▀█████████████████▀▀           
                '▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀'

CloakCoin | CloakCoin - Private, Secure, Untraceable & Decentralized Digital Currency |  Enigma
Chat | Bitcointalk | Twitter |   Facebook |  Steemit |  Reddit |  CloakTV |  Instagram
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 10:29:10 AM

Answer from Bitfinex:

This is hilarious and to be frank it is exactly what you will get by trying to be smart and cut corners.
We suffered the 2nd biggest theft in the history of bitcoin just because these bastard refused to use cold wallets?

So because it is CUSTOMER segregated wallets so each user has their OWN bitcoin wallet that means they likely will just WALK from any responsiblity for this
in that it is likely stated in their terms of service someplace all funds in your above OWN wallet is at your own risk.

Hell with that kinda out...they probably walked off with the funds themselves....multisig wallets my ass..they never multisig'd anything or the funds would be there

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
mayax (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 10:45:20 AM

Answer from Bitfinex:

So because it is CUSTOMER segregated wallets so each user has their OWN bitcoin wallet that means they likely will just WALK from any responsiblity for this
in that it is likely stated in their terms of service someplace all funds in your above OWN wallet is at your own risk.

Hell with that kinda out...they probably walked off with the funds themselves....multisig wallets my ass..they never multisig'd anything or the funds would be there

it's nice to earn.... 60 millions overnight, right? Smiley

split in 4-5 = aprox 12 mil usd each Bitfinex's member + the amount from their bank accounts...not bad at all. you can live a great life anywhere with these money without doing anything all your life excepting parties, women, travels Smiley
Doamader

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 10:50:24 AM

Soo this were the big new that damage the bitcoin price soo fast, i believe the coins are being dropped already, why would the market react to a bad management of an exchange, thanks i dont use them, just yobit and poloniex the best exchanges i know.
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 11:00:43 AM

A minute ago was a report about the BitFinex hack on CNN Live International.
Expect some major media shitstorm the next coming days guys!
The mainstream media will not ignore this desaster.
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1520

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2016, 11:06:48 AM

very important is that BitFinex should come up with an good explanation of the event ASAP. until now it is an inside job for me because they used multisig with BitGo.

james.lent

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 11:11:21 AM

very important is that BitFinex should come up with an good explanation of the event ASAP. until now it is an inside job for me because they used multisig with BitGo.

Well im not too sure about that. Quoted from their twitter reply:

We've stated several times that our Bitgo implementation removed hot/cold wallet as every user had their own wallet.

https://twitter.com/bitfinex/with_replies
mayax (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 11:11:39 AM

they denied this thing. they said "it was an "external" hack". Smiley

as for "We've stated several times that our Bitgo implementation removed hot/cold wallet as every user had their own wallet."     - if this is true, say BYE to your funds Smiley  Bitfinex will wash their hand, packed the money they have in their bank accouunts and "hasta la vista, baby"   Grin
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4382
Merit: 3061

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 11:12:36 AM

they probably walked off with the funds themselves....multisig wallets my ass..they never multisig'd anything or the funds would be there
I don't think so. I very much doubt Bitfinex is directly responsible, because indeed they never used multisig - BitGo did, and they did it in a ludicrously negligent way. BitGo (claims they) can't access the user's private keys, but they do control the browser-based signing code the users run. BitGo (or anyone who has access to their servers) can serve malicious code to steal the client's keys, giving them the 2 of 3 keys needed to steal the money. This would also explain why some user's wallets haven't been touched - they can only steal from users who logged in using the malicious code. I'll bet you bitcoins to blueberries that's how it went down.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
fenican

Activity: 1394
Merit: 505

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 11:14:28 AM

It's been said a lot but probably not enough -

NEVER KEEP ANY SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF BTC AT AN EXCHANGE
BTC786

Activity: 495

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 11:15:21 AM

Everything goneeeee  Angry
BTC786

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 11:16:25 AM

It's been said a lot but probably not enough -

NEVER KEEP ANY SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF BTC AT AN EXCHANGE

Now it seems to be NO Exchanges can trust
BTC786

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 11:17:24 AM

they probably walked off with the funds themselves....multisig wallets my ass..they never multisig'd anything or the funds would be there
I don't think so. I very much doubt Bitfinex is directly responsible, because indeed they never used multisig - BitGo did, and they did it in a ludicrously negligent way. BitGo (claims they) can't access the user's private keys, but they do control the browser-based signing code the users run. BitGo (or anyone who has access to their servers) can serve malicious code to steal the client's keys, giving them the 2 of 3 keys needed to steal the money. This would also explain why some user's wallets haven't been touched - they can only steal from users who logged in using the malicious code. I'll bet you bitcoins to blueberries that's how it went down.

Bitgo no safe as they using 3rd party
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 »
  Print  

Jump to: