Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 09:48:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitfinex HACKED - funds stolen !  (Read 32113 times)
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
August 13, 2016, 08:46:42 PM

If their domain gets seized, it's game over. What are they gonna do --

Register bitfinex.ru and start operating from there. All they'd need is a domain registrar that is not located in a Western friendly nation.

That's gonna work out well. Western users are going to be flocking to deposit money into an insolvent, hacked exchange that just had its domain seized by the US government. And on a .ru domain. Cheesy

I agree that it would be game over. At that point, Bitfinex is more than likely to have some of its USD bank accounts seized anyway.

I mean, why didn't Full Tilt Poker just spring up on .ru when the US shut them down? Grin

Because the Full Tilt Poker homepage was reinstated six days later on April 20, 2011. On July 31, 2012, the US government dismissed with prejudice all civil complaints against all PokerStars and Full Tilt Poker companies after coming to a settlement with PokerStars which included PokerStars purchasing Full Tilt. PokerStars and Full Tilt admitted no wrongdoing as part of the settlement, which ended all litigation between the government and the companies. Full Tilt had real cash, $400 mil, to throw at attorneys and they took a giant crap on the US government and beat them at their own game. You can grease a lot of politicians with that kind of money and make legal cases against you just go *poof*.

This happened because Pokerstars and Full Tilt were using the same illegal banking mechanisms to fraudulently transmit money to US customers (e.g. coding money transmission as retail sports shop sales). Pokerstars executives were facing prison time; fortunately for them, Full Tilt left a giant hole in US customer pockets that the feds wanted Pokerstars to fill.

Full Tilt would never have been bought by Pokerstars otherwise. They were completely insolvent because they allowed "phantom deposits" on their site for many months without being able to physically receive money from US customers.

Full Tilt did not have $400 million, LOL. They had $5 million in their bank accounts at time of shutdown (more money was clawed back from executives like Ray Bitar). Um, and Full Tilt executives plead guilty to multiple charges. Given that they took $40 million from Bitar and his multiple homes -- no, Full Tilt did not shit on the US government. The judge also expressed that he only avoided prison by having a serious heart issue that require(d/s) a heart transplant; it was believed at the time he only had a couple years to live.  

The US government had an interest in Pokerstars buying Full Tilt; this would compensate all US customer losses. There is no such Cinderella story here. The US government leveraged prison time and asset forfeitures against Pokerstars. That's the only reason Full Tilt was bought and customers made whole. But why the hell would anyone buy Bitfinex?

No serious investor would touch Bitfinex now given that they have now stolen and redistributed customer funds (illegal asset conversion under common law) and securitized a debt note (illegal in many jurisdictions including the US).

Officer they had $5 million the day they opened:

There were nine professional players involved with the launch of Full Tilt Poker. These were Phil Ivey, Chris Ferguson, Howard Lederer, Erik Seidel, John Juanda, Andy Bloch, Erick Lindgren, Phil Gordon, and Clonie Gowen. Collectively these pros were known as Team Full Tilt. Tiltware, the software company from California, was also involved and there was an initial budget of $5 million. They operated from 2004 to 2011 as the only online poker site in the world that serviced US citizens and only made $5 million? lol $5 million isn't even a good weekday afternoon for Caesars Palace. Raymond Bitar was the only person ever held liable for wrongdoing and he was an asshole anyway. It was definitely a Cinderella story for poker players. Pokerstars got the DOJ to transfer $547 million to them to "reimburse" the victims. Haha They were given a boost that made them huge all over the world. In 2013 they dealt their 100 billionth hand and have an average of 100,000 customers a day. That sounds like a fairy tale to me.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
marky89

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
August 13, 2016, 08:58:24 PM

There were nine professional players involved with the launch of Full Tilt Poker. These were Phil Ivey, Chris Ferguson, Howard Lederer, Erik Seidel, John Juanda, Andy Bloch, Erick Lindgren, Phil Gordon, and Clonie Gowen. Collectively these pros were known as Team Full Tilt. Tiltware, the software company from California, was also involved and there was an initial budget of $5 million. They operated from 2004 to 2011 as the only online poker site in the world that serviced US citizens and only made $5 million? lol $5 million isn't even a good weekday afternoon for Caesars Palace. Raymond Bitar was the only person ever held liable for wrongdoing and he was an asshole anyway. It was definitely a Cinderella story for poker players. Pokerstars got the DOJ to transfer $547 million to them to "reimburse" the victims. Haha They were given a boost that made them huge all over the world. In 2013 they dealt their 100 billionth hand and have an average of 100,000 customers a day. That sounds like a fairy tale to me.

I said $5 million (USD) in their bank accounts at the time of shutdown. They had massive profits for years, evidenced by the $40 million and multi-asset seizure from Ray Bitar. I'm guessing you were not a player there in the months leading up to the shutdown. The problem was that they were processing incoming deposits from US customers for several months during that period without being able to collect on them. However, they were paying out all withdrawals promptly. That lead to a huge insolvency that came to light after the shutdown.

Sure, it was a Cinderella Story for players there (although it took me well over a year to get my money back). Funny thing is that Full Tilt being insolvent meant that the US government shutting down Full Tilt and forcing this deal on Pokerstars was the best thing for Full Tilt customer. Otherwise we may have never been paid (US or not).

Pokerstars came out like a champ. An incredibly profitable company that was well capitalized and could save their own ass.

Full Tilt was an insolvent wreck of a company headed by absolute buffoons, who pissed away all their money on marketing, then became entirely insolvent by allowing US players to gamble with unreceivable deposits for months on end. Arrogant retards.

Bitfinex = Full Tilt. There is no Pokerstars in this equation. You do the math. Cheesy

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
mayax (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 13, 2016, 09:10:23 PM

Who is the idiot to throw at least 30 MIL USD on Bitfinex?  You can open a BIG exchanger with few millions .

Bitfinex may find a retard who is sitting on a lot of money...you cannot ever know with all the VC hipsters around.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2016, 09:10:53 PM

I said $5 million (USD) in their bank accounts at the time of shutdown. They had massive profits for years, evidenced by the $40 million and multi-asset seizure from Ray Bitar. I'm guessing you were not a player there in the months leading up to the shutdown. The problem was that they were processing incoming deposits from US customers for several months during that period without being able to collect on them. However, they were paying out all withdrawals promptly. That lead to a huge insolvency that came to light after the shutdown.

Sure, it was a Cinderella Story for players there (although it took me well over a year to get my money back). Funny thing is that Full Tilt being insolvent meant that the US government shutting down Full Tilt and forcing this deal on Pokerstars was the best thing for Full Tilt customer. Otherwise we may have never been paid (US or not).

Pokerstars came out like a champ. An incredibly profitable company that was well capitalized and could save their own ass.

Full Tilt was an insolvent wreck of a company headed by absolute buffoons, who pissed away all their money on marketing, then became entirely insolvent by allowing US players to gamble with unreceivable deposits for months on end. Arrogant retards.

Bitfinex = Full Tilt. There is no Pokerstars in this equation. You do the math. Cheesy

That's an interesting comparison but Bitfinex and other Bitcoin companies servicing US customers don't seem to be paying the price for their wrongdoings. The only branch of the US gov that has ever gone after any Bitcoiner is the SEC. The SEC isn't really even punishing the offenders. Look at Trendon Shavers (pirate@40) stole millions running a Ponzi scheme denominated in bitcoins and received 18 months sentence and $1mil fine. That's a slap on the wrist. Erik Voorhees fleeced 2600 btc out of FeedZeBirds customers, ran an illegal gambling site servicing US customers (SatoshiDice) stealing millions, ran an illegal security based on SatoshiDice and got no prison time and only a $50k fine. That's the sweetheart deal of the century.

Why is the US essentially ignoring Bitcoin criminals?

illyiller

Activity: 697
Merit: 520

View Profile
August 13, 2016, 09:19:10 PM

That's an interesting comparison but Bitfinex and other Bitcoin companies servicing US customers don't seem to be paying the price for their wrongdoings. The only branch of the US gov that has ever gone after any Bitcoiner is the SEC. The SEC isn't really even punishing the offenders. Look at Trendon Shavers (pirate@40) stole millions running a Ponzi scheme denominated in bitcoins and received 18 months sentence and $1mil fine. That's a slap on the wrist.

To be fair, the SEC is exactly who is relevant here when Bitfinex is issuing tradeable debt tokens. Really not sure on the legalities of all that, but seems pretty sketchy, on top of the whole stealing from their customers thing.

The CFTC also fined Bitfinex (late last year I think?)...it was for chump change, but means they were/are watching them.

I think it really depends on whether US customers file complaints with relevant authorities. If it doesn't affect US residents, they don't care.
mayax (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2016, 09:33:18 PM

That's an interesting comparison but Bitfinex and other Bitcoin companies servicing US customers don't seem to be paying the price for their wrongdoings. The only branch of the US gov that has ever gone after any Bitcoiner is the SEC. The SEC isn't really even punishing the offenders. Look at Trendon Shavers (pirate@40) stole millions running a Ponzi scheme denominated in bitcoins and received 18 months sentence and $1mil fine. That's a slap on the wrist.

To be fair, the SEC is exactly who is relevant here when Bitfinex is issuing tradeable debt tokens. Really not sure on the legalities of all that, but seems pretty sketchy, on top of the whole stealing from their customers thing.

The CFTC also fined Bitfinex (late last year I think?)...it was for chump change, but means they were/are watching them.

I think it really depends on whether US customers file complaints with relevant authorities. If it doesn't affect US residents, they don't care.

CFTC  fined them 2 months ago. Smiley
Bitfinex issued fraudulent securities(tokens) so, SEC is very interested about that.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2016, 09:37:28 PM

Fined for chump change, that's what I mean, they're doing nothing. If I was a conspiracy lover I would agree with the people that claim that Nakamoto is some kind of an acronym for the NSA and Homeland Security. There must be a reason they're slapping these people on the wrist while they throw the book at others. Another example is Charlie Schrem. With the average sentence for money laundering set at 10 years with 3 years of supervised release why did Schrem only get 2 years when he was involved with a drug kingpin that got life in prison?

Sir Alpha_goy

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 13, 2016, 09:41:47 PM

Fined for chump change, that's what I mean, they're doing nothing. If I was a conspiracy lover I would agree with the people that claim that Nakamoto is some kind of an acronym for the NSA and Homeland Security. There must be a reason they're slapping these people on the wrist while they throw the book at others. Another example is Charlie Schrem. With the average sentence for money laundering set at 10 years with 3 years of supervised release why did Schrem only get 2 years when he was involved with a drug kingpin that got life in prison?

The fact that the U.S allows a currency to compete with the USD on it's own soil should be enough to know that BTC has a green light from someone upstairs.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2016, 09:48:52 PM

The fact that the U.S allows a currency to compete with the USD on it's own soil should be enough to know that BTC has a green light from someone upstairs.

That sure is what it looks like. Wouldn't it be funny if all these exchanges like Bitinstant, Bitfinex, Counbase, bla bla were honey pots for the CIA. lol

We'll find out about it in 20 years under the freedom of information act.

bitsoldiers

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 13, 2016, 09:52:22 PM

thats terrible that so much bitcoins were stolen and people lost their money

am telling you, people lost there money.....and lots of bitcoin  were involve..
mitache365

Activity: 731
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 14, 2016, 08:55:23 AM

BTX going up slowly!

BTC
X-ray

Activity: 2856
Merit: 520

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile
August 14, 2016, 10:32:12 AM

am telling you, people lost there money.....and lots of bitcoin  were involve..
actually people there lose about 36% of deposit because their balance will be cut off by bitfinex themselves due too much losing,and it's terrible because the one who makes the mistake is bitfinex and not anyone else,the hacker just use the bug on their security

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
mayax (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2016, 10:49:32 AM

am telling you, people lost there money.....and lots of bitcoin  were involve..
actually people there lose about 36% of deposit because their balance will be cut off by bitfinex themselves due too much losing,and it's terrible because the one who makes the mistake is bitfinex and not anyone else,the hacker just use the bug on their security

let's call it THEFT not hack... Bitfinex didn't provide any information, they didn't announce any law enforcement. we are talking about 70 MIL USD and not about peanuts .

Raphael NICOLLE - Bitfinex owner

chromegabberdome

Activity: 14

View Profile
August 15, 2016, 01:04:16 AM

lol charging everyone 35% when they know if 90% of their BTC was offline in cold storage and multisignature w recorallet BTC transactions they would have never gotten stolen from.
Electrum wallet has multi signature transactions and its easy to set up they also dontd your IP address.
░▒▓███████████████████████████████████▓▒░
░▒▓███► This server does not log ◄████▓▒░
░▒▓███████████████████████████████████▓▒░

lol nice boat

http://docs.electrum.org/en/latest/multisig.html

easy to set up multsignature.

no server logs, no ip addresses recorded.

If you used a wallet like this one, youi cant trace the transactions and you could store your bitcoins offline cold storage
so then you dont need to worry about the exchange.

At my exchange i saw 7 bitcoin dissappear before my eyes, i took a screenshot downloaded the the CSV orders book, told support and they think theres nothing wrong. I found in the log's where the the coins where sold but no BTC updated. I got shits then and just took all the 12 BTC and just flushed it down betcoin wondering why the jackpots dont hit after i must played through 50 BTC of wagering. i had left IExchanges are crap, they steal all your money anyway they can and when you report software bugs they dont care. I lost 15 BTC on bittfinex and 50 BTC on cryptsy when they shut down thinking they wouldnt close down they'll be ok, my coins are safe there.

Wrong Don't be naive, and think your coins are safe on any exchange. Get a proper wallet, built for anonymous bitcoin transfers. If you run this with say a good VPN like https://torguard.net/aff.php?aff=2163 they are heaps easy to use only $5 a month for one click VPN access. Its a good one.No need to configure Tor expert edition and privoxy anymore.
I just saved your life now with high-tech info, You can send BTC:15CkdWj2e8JsMQb4hbG1pLq4xRcQfE7YcW
thanking me for my info.

__          _        _   
 (|_;abber((hrome[|)ome

mayax (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2016, 05:36:33 PM

your advises are good but there are SO many sheep around. many of their clients continue to use those who robbed them while the Bitfinex owners are living  in luxury with their money. Smiley
techfm86

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 16, 2016, 05:42:27 AM

Yeah, we can see that there are no totally safe places for cryptocurrencies on the internet these days. It is always good to have some of the funds in an offline wallet.
starmman
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1029

View Profile
August 16, 2016, 05:48:21 AM

Yeah, we can see that there are no totally safe places for cryptocurrencies on the internet these days. It is always good to have some of the funds in an offline wallet.

I've certainly done that since the Bitfinex escapade, I've also made sure that I have very strong and unique passwords for all sites that I use, I use LastPass to store all of the credentials which uses very strong encryption and 2FA.
mayax (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2016, 12:11:54 PM

as we can see, Bitfinex didn't come with any report about the so called investigation(because there is NONE).

they just want to lay the dust on this theft.
entrepmind23

Activity: 644
Merit: 261

View Profile
August 16, 2016, 01:22:15 PM

I don't know if it is really hacked and they didn't know who are the hackers or they just made it up because it's an inside job and they stole the user's BTC. The users bear the loss and its CEO is nowhere to be found as what I have read in one of the news. The trust of the people in exchanges will not be the same again as it happened also before and the fact that the withdrawals increase upon the open of the exchange again will support it.People should be careful as to where they should put their money/bitcoin and always to spread their funds in several wallets or exchanges to manage risk.

░▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒░
           ░▒█████████████████████▒░
         ▓███████████████████████████▓░
      ░███████████████▓░▒███████████████░
     ▓██████████▓▓▒░        ▒▒▓▓██████████
   ░███▓                               ▒███▒
  ░████               ▒▒▒               ████▒
 ░█████░           ░███████░            █████▒
 ██████░          ░██      ██▒          ██████
░██████░          ██       ██           ██████▒
▓██████           ██░ ░   ░██           ███████
▓██████         ████████████████        ███████
▓██████        █████████████████        ███████
░██████▒       ███████████████       ░██████▓
 ███████       █████████████████       ▓██████
 ░███████       ████████████████      ▓██████▒
  ▒███████▒       ░ ░     ░ ░       ░███████▒
   ░████████▒                     ▒████████▒
     ▓████████▓░               ░▓█████████
      ░██████████▓░          ▓██████████░
         ▓██████████▒     ▒██████████▓░
           ░▒██████████▒▓█████████▓░
                 ░▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒░
LuckyGem

Activity: 9

View Profile
August 16, 2016, 01:24:56 PM

It is not the first hack of bitfinex, but it is the second time, and after that I think n one will believe o bitfinex and everyone is going to leave that exchange, I also now do not want to go there.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 »
  Print  

Jump to: